Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The BMFG

If You Could Only Listen To One Album For The Rest Of You Life....

what would that album be?

for me that album what definitely have to be euphoria morning by Chris Cornell 

Good choice. I don't listen to Cornell myself, but he was quite talented in many ways.

Honestly for me, there are a few I could listen to forever:

The White Album by the Beatles is a double album full of very diverse tracks. Lots of interesting music, ranging from folk, rock, blues, soundscapes, baroque pop, and more jazzy type songs (Martha My Dear and Honey Pie. Not really "jazz" but inspired by '20s hot jazz).  Either way, very creative, fun, and unique.

Blonde on Blonde by Bob Dylan has this totally unique sound, it's dark, warm, fast. It feels like a dingy bar in a late night alley, an empty Nashville apartment, and cigarettes and amphetamines, all at once. Just like the lyrics, it's hard to describe. It also has The Band as the backing group and I love them. Blonde on Blonde is also a double album, so there's plenty of material. 

Hawaii Part II by Miracle Musical is a single album, with a loose narrative based around a sailor who lost his love and is driven insane. It also weaves in an autobiographical story of loneliness and failed relationships, as well as how the primary writer, Joe Hawley felt about and dealt with 9/11. It's fascinating sounding, switching genres often but through the use of lietmotifs, always feels cohesive. It's beautiful and magical and dark and strange and I love it.

Lark's Tongues in Aspic by King Crimson was their first album that was wildly different in sound. Their previous albums, while unique to each other still relied on the same instrumental line up: guitarist, bass player that sings, drummer, saxophonist / flutist, and keys played by the song writer. Here, Robert Fripp changed things around with two drummers, singing bass player, himself on guitar, and a violinist that played keys on the side. It sounds minor, but this really switched up their sound and brought some great songs to the table. Three instrumentals, three "regular" songs, perfectly balanced. Just a great album all round.

Animals by Pink Floyd is one of the first albums not by The Beatles that I really latched onto. It's a concept album, primarily written by Roger Waters, the bass player and vocalist. The story is inspired by Orwell's Animal Farm. In Animals, the Sheep are the lowest class, the Dogs are cutthroat business men, and the Pigs are the politicians. The three main tracks (Dogs, Pigs, and Sheep) are a story of greed, revolt, hypocrisy, and hate. They critique politics, capitalism, communism, and societies' fixation with repetion. Animals would be awfully depressing if it weren't for the first and last tracks, Pigs on the Wing 1 and 2. They fortify the listener, telling them this cycle of violence inst important, and that love is what will keep you sane and happy. It's a beautiful, if mildly unrealistic, sentiment. 

All the previous albums I mentioned have their fair share of musical virtuosity, but Animals is insanely well written from a musical perspective. No offense to the lyrics, they're great, but nothing beats Bob in my opinion. 

I don't go out of my way to find new music, rather it tends to find me, and that has lead to two interesting things about my taste in music, 1 it's somewhat scattershot, and 2 I listen to the same albums a lot constantly.

Moving Pictures by Rush, Every track is great, the synth work is at it's best on this album.  Not as heavy as the synth era that would follow (Not to say I have any issues with that era) but it doesn't feel like the focus.  Not only that but every song under 6 minutes became a mainstream hit despite all odds.

Somewhere in the between by Streetlight Manifesto, The album constantly shifts from lighter ska tracks, and more hardcore influences constantly and it never is boring, the lyrics aren't great but they are good enough.

Ten by Pearl Jam, I don't have too much to say about this one, just listen to it.

Tales From Topographic Oceans by Yes, Even if the rest of the album was bad, The Revealing Science of God is so good I would be ok with listening to only that for the rest of my life.  It also helps the rest of the album is also great.

... And out Came the wolves by Rancid,  The Ska album.  No other Ska album can compare and you are lying if you have one that you think fits the bill.

The Process of belief by Bad Religion, Bad Religion tends to be a mixed bag sometimes, but Process of belief doesn't really have 1 song I skip when listening to it, unlike their other albums. 

1 hour ago, Astronomical said:

cool stuff

I love Yes, my favorite has to be The Yes Album. Also I agree with your take on Ten. Just go listen to it. Incredible stuff.

I'm sure there's others, but off the top of my head I would go with Nomeansno: 0+2=1.

It's probably a weird choice, but I never get sick of listening to it. I love the energy, and just the chaotic mashing of sounds together. It doesn't sound like it should work, the vocals are more talking than singing, but the prose is beautiful. The bass is eloquent, the drums pound in your head, the guitar tears into your head. There's something very beautifully primal about it, and I really think I could stand to listen to it forever. Or... if I had to pick a discography, I would pick Nomeansno.

And maybe I just have weird eardrums that like this cacophony. It certainly would make sense why most people I've known ask if they can change the music when they're riding with me. Sorry, my vehicle, my music.

I would slap whoever forced me to do such an insane thing and go from there.

Gun to my head maybe "News of the World" by Queen for "We are the Champions" because it's my ultimate favorite song. But i don't like to play favorites much. Honestly you might as well ask me which of my toes and fingers i would keep. 

I find myself putting this album on most mornings, via my portable speaker and MP3 player when I've woken up in bed but before I actually get up. There's something pretty special about it. 

7 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I love Yes, my favorite has to be The Yes Album. Also I agree with your take on Ten. Just go listen to it. Incredible stuff.

My actual favorite is Relayer, but only listening to the same 3 songs for the rest of my life doesn't sound appealing, and unlike tails Relayer has 1 really long song and 2 shorter songs.  

It would be either:
- Twilight of Olympus by Symphony X
- Greatest Hits by Queen
- Black by Metallica
Because I love listening to multiple albums, this feels hard to choose for me.

The ideal choice for this, I think, would be something that covers a variety of styles but still remains consistently good. I listen to a lot of concept albums, and I think even the best of those would start to get boring after a week or so of only having them to listen to.

Among the albums currently in my collection, I think my best options are:

• 148 by C418: a nearly 2 hour long, varied yet cohesive collection of electronic music and remixes by C418. Calm enough to make for good background music, but energetic enough to be engaging. Probably my best option, but I have a feeling I'd come to regret picking this after having to listen to it over and over for a long time.
  • The Mix by Kraftwerk: a compilation of remakes of tracks by my favorite artist. There's a lot of variety in here, but the remakes share similarities in style and instrumentation (most are clearly made for dance) which would get boring after some time.
  • TNT: Evilution MIDI pack - great game soundtrack that can be listened to for hours, ego booster since I worked on it. It has some variety, but is also all-MIDI; I might start to find it grating, especially if I can't change soundfonts.

Overall, I need to diversify my musical tastes, or else this hypothetical scenario will crush me.

Some of my favourites have been mentioned already! I don't have a fixed answer for this question, but today's answer is Discipline by King Crimson. Tomorrow's answer would be totally different.

I don’t know. I can’t choose.

Maybe Charlemagne Palestine’s Schlingen Blängen or Aeternus’ Beyond the Wandering Moon or Glenn Branca’s Symphony no 6 or Illusion of safety’s of & the or Rory Gallagher’s Irish Tour or Mike Oldfield’s Incantations or Legendary Pink Dots’s Asylum or Brian Eno’s Thursday Afternoon or Monster Magnet’s Superjudge or Ministry’s Filth Pig or Summoning’s Stronghold or Hint’s 100% White Puzzle or Infectious Grooves’ Plague That Makes Your Booty Move or Kill the Thrill’s 203 Barriers or Talk Talk’s Colour of Spring or… or a home-made compilation.

Edited by ducon

Technically two albums, but they are companions and meant to be treated as one whole. To this day no album has touched my emotional core like these, and their inspiration is deeply rooted in my own creative work.

I actually couldn't be able to do that, since at most, i'll listen to half an album of one particular artist. usually it's around 2-5 songs per artist across 4 or more albums. quite picky, but on the other hand, listening almost everything, and at the same time, almost nothing

This is always a super hard question for me to answer, since I listen to a pretty wide variety of music and most of my favorite albums belong squarely to one style, mood or genre. 

A couple options that come to mind:

Polygondwanaland by King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard is one that I seem to be in the mood for pretty much anytime. It’s such a beautiful ride from beginning to end, taking me through every kind of mood and energy. Plus I could stare at the album art forever too.

Noise by Boris contains a ton of variety and I think it’s maybe their most underrated album. It’s amazing how well it works given the sheer range of styles they attempt here.

I’ll also put Meddle by Pink Floyd here because I’ve listened to Echoes a million times in my life and it still gives me chills and brings me near to tears when I listen to it sometimes. The rest of the album is great too. I really could (and at one point, did) listen to it over and over again.

I don’t think I’d actually choose it but I’ve been listening to The Age of Plastic by The Buggles on repeat lately so I’ll throw it in too

Edited by Stupid Bunny

It would be Shambara by the group known as...

Shambara...

Anyway, it's unique in the way that it has 0 songs I dislike/don't care for, I like every track, with "Take Me Higher", "Solid Dance" and "Delicious Lover" being highlights.

Cowboy Bebop OST 1, probably. There are quite a few albums that I enjoy in their entirety, but that one covers a pretty wide range of moods and is a journey unto itself.