Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roofi

The DWIronman League dies to: Realm of Shades

Dead in map 04's Red key fight. Category 2.

Realms of Shades is a much more difficult wad than it looks. Obviously, it is far from wads like Sunlust except for the place where I just died maybe. However, the maps are particularly long and contain traps that can easily kill careless or too nervous players.

Aesthetically, there is a real contribution on this side. The rendering is very well done with light gradations and mapping tricks featuring fake 3D

Realms of Shades is perhaps one of my favorite wads from the 90's even if I never finished it until now. Only map 04 was a real discovery. I had played the first three maps during DWMC in 2018.

DEMO

Category 1

Dead on MAP01

Kills: 121/168

Time: ~8:00

EM_ROS_CAT1.zip

Overabundance of hitscanners in obnoxious places. Confusing level progression. Ridiculous, hard to find secrets. Yep, it's a '90s wad.

Never played this wad before...and frankly I cheated death on the first map way too many times to count.  Love it when you turn around a corner, eat a rev missile, then have to run to the other side of a room with hitscanners while on 5 health to get some medpacks.

Map 4 even saw to nearly screw me over because lol bridge shenanigans and somehow failing to find health for a good 5-10 minutes while on 8 health.  Recovered from that only to hit the galaxy brain button when dealing with a couple viles near a YK door later in the map.  Capital!

DWIronman_ROS_AnimaZero.zip

Category 1

Dead on MAP01

Kills: 121/168

Time: 15:32

It could be worst... it could have been better.

Starts at 07:56

Potentially the most cruel, most bizarre and most painful death I've ever had in Ironman so far (or at least on par with Stardate 20x6 and Plutonia; worse than Running Late 2 because I died next to a +1 on the leaderboard and not +10 HP), and I'm participating since Feb 2017. It really wasn't supposed to happen like this. 

Standard Category 3 (watched Belial's M1 and M4 maxes, the other one didn't help) - dead on MAP02, died to the final monster of the entire map... I mean, it could have been MAP01 with 6 monsters killed because I was down to 7 HP then 4 HP then 1 HP in the first 15 seconds but miraculously managed to hang on... 

dwironman_jan22_naza.zip

Why it is so cruel:

Spoiler

After two MIRACULOUS 7 HP clutches at the very start of MAP01 I managed to pull myself back together and comfortably survive it. I was also comfortably surviving MAP02 and then got the wrong weapon out at the very end. Chaingunners here, there, everywhere, me with the super shotgun, can't switch out or I lose massive time and health. I have incredible rolls, I survive, it's 30 HP, the final room, a few rocket blasts, HK survives. SSG out but I fail to notice the door closed, I go back and it hits me. Ouch. I was so mad and still am. Had I just rushed forward I would've been at least third for some time. This was just brutal.

The WAD itself is basically just the type of WAD that's good for Ironman. Excellent pick. Yes, it has a lot of RNG involved which isn't exactly ideal but MAP02 you need to really think about how to approach the outside area. Do you want to waste ammo on the cacodemons and cyberdemons, or do you make a rush for the exit? M1 as well. Very tactical mapset and I really enjoyed what I had played of it. I am quite sad I hadn't gotten further but will finish it. Great pick, in my opinion. 

Ded on map04, category uno.

??????? progression and whatever the fuck was supposed to be that red key area with angry doors, viles and skulls in a very barren location done me in.

Category 1, dead on map03 with 126/232. Entered map03 at 34:48, died at 42:01.

Pretty hardcorez wad for 1998, I'm kinda impressed. The starting room is some legendary BS for a cat 1 run, but I guess it sets the tone for what you should expect going forward. Overall these aren't my kind of maps, but compared to Talosian they at least contained something resembling gameplay so it was pretty fun overall.

dwim-bx-ros.lmp

Good lord the maps in this wad just kept going. I lost count of the amount of times I said "What is this area even for?" during this.

Category 1, dead on map 04 with 110/274 kills. Entered map04 at 63:08

NapsalmJan2022Ironman.zip

Cat I, dead on MAP01 to a Revenant missile turning sharper than me. 129/168 K.

From what I've seen during those 9 minutes, bizarriness of this WAD is pretty manageable, even enjoyable. Maybe it gets properly sick later, I'll be watching UV-Maxes today to obtain a clue.

dwiroslev.zip

Category 1. Dead on MAP04 to an unexpected bruiser ball; after surviving that AV trap, too. :(

Amazed I survived as long as I did, definitely off to a strong start this year!

Demo: df-ironman-jan2022.zip

unknown.png

Edited by Dragonfly

OK. I had been considering this for the IronEagle, and I had played a bit of it, albeit on HNTR, but that was enough to clue me in to what to expect going in. Thus, that makes this run a Category 2.

Dead on Map 01

Kills: 41/168

Time: 5:50

dwi_pegleg_ros_cat2.zip

I rather liked the mapset; although while I enjoyed what I played on UV, personally, I had a better time on lower difficulties. That's not to say the maps are bad, because they're not, it's just on the harder side of the scale for my tastes. The use of textures is pretty good, the monster placement was good, and the ambushes and traps were thought out and well done. There was a lot of health and ammo scattered around, so it's not as punishing as it could have been. I thought the maps were generally well assembled, and the layouts were pretty good.

Cat 1, Dead on MAP04 with 185 kills

Spoiler

Sensed that I should've went back and looked for more resources or explored another area, especially after hearing the barons wake up, being too stubborn lead me to an awful trap.

IMRos_mhrz.zip

Edited by mhrz

https://youtu.be/Ng9twa7EXrY

Category 1 run, died on map 4 to a Revenant.

However, the blame lies with me assuming that room had a lockin door; turns out it didn't and I could have easily gone back through it to negate most of the ambush entirely. Oh well, 90's mapping?

Also thanks for redeeming yourself with a much better Ironman choice, @Roofi. This wad was fun to play.

Edited by Suitepee

Blind type 1 attempt.  Carked it on the first map.  88 kills  To quote a ZDoom obituatiry: "Player couldn't evade a revenant's fireball."  Disappointing being a magnet for homing missiles after recovering from going down to 8% in the first minute.

I have the time but not the will for a prepared go.  Ew, IWAD music.  As a humorous postscript, tried the map on HMP after ending recording and died even faster.

dsda-doom -cl2

dwiron_ros_cnr.zip

Death thanks to panic and being painfully corroded by acid...slowly

Blind category, UV, recorded with PRBoom+ 2.5.1.7um. As usual, the image is shown after 5 seconds from my death.

Demo: dwim_rosLD85.zip

doom02.png.b02f6101fb8e615953688f283104add3.png

rosIronman_hc.zip

Category 1, Dead in MAP01 with 62 kills.

Spoiler

An elevator dropped me into a point-blank encounter with a small crowd of monsters and a last-ditch effort to escape the mauling only resulted in a drop into pain sectors & pain elementals.
Really, I'm just glad I made it out of the opening shotgunner room - Every inch of ground gained after that was just a bonus.

Here is my Category 3 submission.

Dead on Map 01

Kills: 119/168

Time: 11:25

dwi_pegleg_ros_cat3.zip

This mapset, at least the first map, is set up so that you can treat the different encounters as almost separate events. If you stage them appropriately, you can minimize  the threats you face at any one time. Of course, it does a good job of luring you into triggering multiple threats at once. Kudos to NokturnoS for that. As for my play, once again, a revenant has ended my run. Perhaps I should have used more of the 40+ rockets I had, but with a pain elemental and lost souls nearby, I was nervous. Oh well. Fortune favors the bold.