Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

[CP] DIY - Get imaginative with bold colors and MBF21 [WIP - Compiling]

Daisy Fields REV 02:

[+] Added a few extra clips near the beginning area and an extra box of rockets

[.] Swapped the location of some items (There is now a medikit near the entrance to the cave tunnel, which was originally a stim pack)

[.] Swapped the Mega Armour and Super Shotgun locations so the SSG isn't as hard to locate

Daisy-Fields2.zip

Map Name: Hostile District.

Author: RastaManGames.

Theme: Street/Town/City/Urban/Interior.

Music: Unknown MIDI track that was found on my PC. Gonna be glad very much if someone can help me to recognize it.

Difficulty Settings: Implemented (i tried to make each walkthrough kinda different).

Multiplayer: Cooperative player starts and several deathmatch player starts with unique items.

Ports Tested: "DSDA-Doom" (all works fine except few visual glitches), "GZDoom" (all works fine).

Description: This is a small urban area with few tunnels, that provide access to it few years ago before Hell invasion. This cursed district was sealed under lockdown after tense rise of criminal activity. After sudden Hell attack many criminals was turned into zombies and various demons are invaded buildings. Flynn Taggart was teleported here by accident and now he must find way to unlock only one working tunnel to the city center. Maybe from there he can successfully travel to cosmoport or, at least, find fellow marines buddies?

Notes: I am not sure about slot. Map isn't that big but there is 100+ monsters. Also, i want to use first RSKY, 'cause night sky with stars fits map a lot. And (very important) i am sorry for big mess with large count of linedefs. I hope, that someone's PC not gonna have a bad time on my map. By the way, map is doable at all three difficulties (but i don't recorded any demos while maxing it out). Maxed UV takes for me 12 minutes.

Known Bugs: Rare "Slime Trails" at places of the map and (sometimes) player can "stuck" for a moment while moving in rare occurrences.

Download: RMG_DIY.zip

Edited by RastaManGames : Link now leads to V2.

A lot of really cool looking maps so far. If I may make a suggestion. We have been working very hard to make sure the new version of Odamex supports MBF21 and would love to see these maps keep coop in mind. Mappers, please think about situations where a soft lock could occur in coop! We're looking forward to playing this wad soon :)

Hey Team, I'm back after 4 days off for sorta emergency dental/oral surgery and wow, so much progress! Sorry about having to step out like that, it's all fixed now so I'm good to go :)

The first thing I want to address is @RjY's concern. Since Doom It Yourself is the name of a old source port I will rename the project (not sure what, feel free to throw out names, everyone). I'm big on preservation and I think RjY is right, naming this Doom It Yourself will make it harder to get info on the old source port so we will use a different name (maybe just DIY Doom?)

Now, onto the skies. I will be adding a number of skies today/tomorrow so expect v1.3 to come out. I will include the exit sign so lil piss boy @dmdr can have his fancy little signs. I will also add the MIDSPACE textures @RastaManGames suggested but I'll make the grey a bit darker. I'll include some of @Blast_Brothers skies and also likely the plutotnia ones from @dmdr Great work both of you guys, I really like what each of you has made.

@Spendoragon - You are a true gc, thanks so much for the playtesting you've done. I'll be giving you a tester credit for that amount of work that you've done <3

@Ralphis - that's really cool to hear! I lovee playing with Oda so I'm happy to help out however I can. I will make sure coop support is present and lockouts have been accounted for. I'll edit the OP to mention this and also make it part of my acceptance criteria when I go to test the maps. Thanks for the heads up :)

@Fuzzball - Hell yeah, cool to see you on board, hombre.

@Terrarienn - Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

@Peccatum Mihzamiz - Have a play around with the resources and see if anything grabs you. I think they're inviting to work with, it's very fun :)

@effiesectu - Yup, we've always got spots so map away :)

I have edited the OP with the latest map entries. I'm still recovering from another dental appointment today so I'm not gonna do any playing or editing. Tomorrow I will update the resource pack and also start playing through the latest maps.

Man, I love seeing the lofi art in this thread. Fellownoob posted some and @game's drawing is so damn cool. I love this surreal and eerie feeling, it reminds me a lot of FAITH.

Phew, that was a lot of stuff. Tomorrow will be a big work day for the project so we'll get resources v1.3 and a bunch more playtesting done. Great work everyone! For anyone who I didn't mention by name, I did look over the whole thread and it's actually all looking really good. I'll give feedback on each map as I play them proper.

1 hour ago, xvertigox said:

lil piss boy @dmdr

can't even deny it (hope you're not feeling too shit after the surgery bro. oh and cheers for the signs obvs)

so today I had a look through Mechadon's box o skies and although most of them are a bit busy for easy conversion I found a few that were amenable to diy-ification. I wasn't as conservative with colour choices this time and theres like 50 of them so just use the ones you like I guess

screenies

BOS_WRKI.png.83321bcbea26bc3b19943b7be017cce1.pngBOS_WRKB.png.559eb2984d89eadce8bb6c2e827706b9.pngBOS_HLML.png.7907415642cad6a4a76da6d603a178ad.pngBOS_HLMI.png.44f0df8e069cee8e5f5997815756f321.pngBOS_HELK.png.277aaa3dad0b0c8f2a5a9cd983ad4473.pngBOS_HELF.png.30fec69aca264435cb2d1f8f023c070e.pngBOS_DSKD.png.81083b01b2656095245c4b5389cae1c0.pngBOS_DSKB.png.c2eca35b2f50985e98a30363ad413c36.png

dl: boxodiyskies.zip

Map Name: Flower Garden
Author: El Inferno
Build time: couple of days

Gameplay: slaughter with resource starvation, platforming
Difficulty settings: yes, uv is not recommended
Complevel: mbf21
Tested With: DSDA Doom

Midi: not sure about the origin but it is D_READ_M from abandon beta

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgjaamxvyap1o6q/diy_inferno.zip?dl=0 (resources included to simplify playtesting)

Picture:

Spoiler

OxUbiSw.png

@xvertigox How maps entrances gonna be look like in the hub?

I am gonna need to provide something like 128x128 texture that represents my map or it can be just crop image from screenshot?

Edited by RastaManGames

I'm not entirely satisfied with this map at the moment, it's getting there, but I figured I would put it here for y'all to play around with it.

DIY_Spendo_v1.0.zip

Still need to implement difficulties and might change a few things about some of the fights.

Screenshot

Spoiler

diy_spendo.png.df8c89f43339f98871df8374215a312f.png

alright I played a bunch of maps

@7Soul and @DynamiteKaitorn (I played v1 btw), putting you dudes together since both your maps were great but I had basically the same complaint which is that the exits weren't very exit-y and took me by surprise. In 7Soul's case I fell into it by accident while I was trying to kill everything; maybe make it a switch instead of a walkover. DK consider adding some detail around it so it looks more conspicuous. Other than that can't really fault anything about these, both look good and have fun fights, really liked em.

@El Inferno nice aesthetics from what I saw but couldn't get past the first room; not sure if I suck at platforming or just couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do because I'm retarded. If not, please make the jumps a little easier for those of us who use less precise control schemes.

@Spendoragon ctrl-f medkit

ctrl-f stimpack

ctrl-f soulsphere

make concessions for we mere mortals please

@RastaManGames liked the mood of this level, kinda like the original leisure suit larry but for doom. The tables were cool too. I got some complaints though, first is that there's not much health. The map's not particularly hard esp once you clear the first fight but wandering round with 15% and so playing cautiously for long periods of time gets annoying. Second, the yellow key is in an obscure place which leads to a fair bit of aimless wandering at the start after you've killed everything. Third, you can climb the shelves in the supermarket, which was funny at first but sudden height changes when fighting the imps was pretty irritating tbh. Just flag the lines as impassable and you should be good.

NB there's not gonna be a hub level anymore so no need to worry about that.

Fellownoob (can't @ you soz bro), not bad, pretty chill map with nice visuals but could use some more turret monsters in the latter half, it kinda gets flatter as it goes along. There's also a blocking body right at the start which was annoying; this is an MBF21 project so please test your wad in DSDA-Doom not GZDoom (yes GZD is compatible w MBF21 but it's not the target port, test w. the target port). Those cracks in the pyramid area seem like they should be jumpable, make them wider or something if you don't want the player crossing em (would also recommend using the 'block player' linedef flag to allow flying monsters to get over, rather than impassable). Would also recommend using UMAPINFO or 271 linetypes to make your black walls into skies (lower the ceiling) so you don't get bullet puffs etc. on them, which looks weird (the large spaces make me think this is some kind of void dimension rather than rooms with walls).

@Master Medi please consider using candles instead of armour bonuses to make subsequent trips up your invisible platforms less annoying. It seems like the best strat for the secret sun fight is to run around in circles for a bit and then hiding down the corridor while the cybies take care of almost everything, then spam rockets at the leftovers, which tbh isn't that enjoyable. The alternate dimension area was pretty cool but getting there was very convoluted, two layers of secrets would be enough tbh.

Map Name: Coffee Break Rush 2 Coffee
Author: Peccatum Mihzamiz
Build time: a couple of days

Gameplay: exploration and easy slaughter
Difficulty settings: yes, implemented. Co-op also has a few tricks up its sleeve :p
Tested With: DSDA Doom 22.4

Midi: 'Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?' by Rod Stewart
Story: When Doom streamers like me in Western Europe go to get coffee, we always take a trip to a certain other streamer in South America to get the best coffee over there. Your journey starts in my house...
Screenshots:

Spoiler

PeccatumMihzamiz_map_screenshot6.png

PeccatumMihzamiz_map_screenshot7.png

File (updated to version 2): https://www.mediafire.com/file/eskycfgd9zi743x/Peccatum_Mihzamiz_Coffee_Break_v2.wad/file
File (updated to version 3): https://www.mediafire.com/file/z885lumhvox9ei7/Peccatum_Mihzamiz_Coffee_Break_v3.wad/file

Edited by Peccatum Mihzamiz : version 3 with MIDI and several tiny fixes

1 hour ago, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

Map Name: Coffee Break
Author: Peccatum Mihzamiz
Build time: a couple of days

Gameplay: exploration and easy slaughter
Difficulty settings: yes, implemented. Co-op also has a few tricks up its sleeve :p
Tested With: DSDA Doom 22.4

Midi: not implemented yet. Anybody have any good ideas?
Story: When Doom streamers like me in Western Europe go to get coffee, we always take a trip to a certain other streamer in South America to get the best coffee over there. Your journey starts in my house...
Screenshots:

Hide contents

PeccatumMihzamiz_map_screenshot6.png

PeccatumMihzamiz_map_screenshot7.png

File: https://www.mediafire.com/file/agkrhf20g9peeri/Peccatum_Mihzamiz_Coffee_Break_v1.wad/file

I can't launch it

Coffee Break.png

4 minutes ago, unraveler said:

I can't launch it

Coffee Break.png

Did you try loading the map with the resources provided in the first post of this thread? Resources go first, then the map.

Oops, sorry, forgot to do that. Sorry for the nooby mistake and if I cause some confusion. 😳

Edit: Great map, never imagined getting a slaughter map inside a plane.

Edited by unraveler

6 hours ago, unraveler said:

Oops, sorry, forgot to do that. Sorry for the nooby mistake and if I cause some confusion. 😳

Edit: Great map, never imagined getting a slaughter map inside a plane.

No problem at all. Thank you for playing the map, glad you liked it :D!

On 1/14/2022 at 6:28 AM, dmdr said:

@RastaManGames liked the mood of this level, kinda like the original leisure suit larry but for doom. The tables were cool too. I got some complaints though, first is that there's not much health. The map's not particularly hard esp once you clear the first fight but wandering round with 15% and so playing cautiously for long periods of time gets annoying. Second, the yellow key is in an obscure place which leads to a fair bit of aimless wandering at the start after you've killed everything. Third, you can climb the shelves in the supermarket, which was funny at first but sudden height changes when fighting the imps was pretty irritating tbh. Just flag the lines as impassable and you should be good.

NB there's not gonna be a hub level anymore so no need to worry about that.

Updated my map:

Added three medkits to main area for UV difficulty (check out safe places with burning barrels for it).

Changed yellow keycard area a little bit so keycard position now more obvious (i think that many players can notice bright & shiny keycard sitting on the high pole).

Made shelves in store impassable (RIP funny dead enemies, that can climb to it).

Also made small thing for cooperative (because dying in red keycard area in cooperative may softlock walkthrough). Now all unlocked keycards gonna appear in the spawn tunnel.

RMG_DIY_V2.zip

Edited by RastaManGames : V2 now leads to V3

Map 'Coffee Break' 'Rush 2 Coffee' updated to version 2

-Added the MIDI

-Did a few tiny fixes, all of them quality-of-life or small cosmetic stuff

-Changed map title to 'Rush 2 Coffee'

File: https://www.mediafire.com/file/eskycfgd9zi743x/Peccatum_Mihzamiz_Coffee_Break_v2.wad/file

File (updated to version 3): https://www.mediafire.com/file/z885lumhvox9ei7/Peccatum_Mihzamiz_Coffee_Break_v3.wad/file

Edited by Peccatum Mihzamiz : quick hotfix for one texture + new map title + version 3

On 1/11/2022 at 9:47 PM, Spendoragon said:

Awesome slaughtermap with this green/black theme, some cool architecture going on. The only problem I have with this map is something about the lips of these walls (see screenshot) sometimes catches the player and causes them to get stuck, leading to some cheap deaths.

Oops, it's fixed now. Glad you enjoyed it though.

By the way, if you're playing on UV, do you think there should be a backpack? Since the BFG fight and finale can be tricky without one, I forgot to add it but I think it's fine..? Though I've added a backpack for HMP/HNTR players.

god2.zip

3 hours ago, Nefelibeta said:

Oops, it's fixed now. Glad you enjoyed it though.

By the way, if you're playing on UV, do you think there should be a backpack? Since the BFG fight and finale can be tricky without one, I forgot to add it but I think it's fine..? Though I've added a backpack for HMP/HNTR players. 

god2.zip

Thinking back on my play of it, I got through the BFG fight without a backpack just fine, there is enough cells all around that it isn't that bad. Thought that maybe the megas could be moved toward the center of the arena and away from the edges where the ammo is so refilling health/ammo can be more deliberate amongst the chaos. I kept vacuuming up spare megas while trying to grab ammo, but there's a lot of megas so it's no big deal. I think the finale could use a backpack by then so the fight is less tedious since the cells are positioned very aggressively towards the cybers which means more often rushing in to get ammo then backing up a bit to stay safe. On the other hand, once their numbers are thinned out a bit it isn't too bad to just wallrun past them and grab some cells. I'll check out new version next testing session.

22 hours ago, dmdr said:

Fellownoob

Hello, thanks for letting me know about the quirks. I did use DSDA-Doom, and I know full well about the hanging body, I just didn't see it as a problem. I will gladly fix these issues, though.

9 hours ago, Spendoragon said:

Thinking back on my play of it, I got through the BFG fight without a backpack just fine, there is enough cells all around that it isn't that bad. Thought that maybe the megas could be moved toward the center of the arena and away from the edges where the ammo is so refilling health/ammo can be more deliberate amongst the chaos. I kept vacuuming up spare megas while trying to grab ammo, but there's a lot of megas so it's no big deal. I think the finale could use a backpack by then so the fight is less tedious since the cells are positioned very aggressively towards the cybers which means more often rushing in to get ammo then backing up a bit to stay safe. On the other hand, once their numbers are thinned out a bit it isn't too bad to just wallrun past them and grab some cells. I'll check out new version next testing session.

I moved the megas now, you don't really need to playtest the map again, since most of the time I'll playtest them myself after making changes.

The cells placement is really intentional. The cybers on the sentries will snipe you before teleporting, and I don't want the player to release all of them before firing so I'd just place all the cells forward. Don't know if it's a good idea though.

god3.zip

I have updated the OP with v1.3 of the resources. Changelog is as follows:

• Added 3 new mid textures: SPC*** (ty RMG)
  • Added 8 new skies (SKY2 - SKY9) (cheers dmdr)
  • Readded exit sign texture
  • Removed 4 duplicate sprites (thanks Spendoragon)
  • Added UMAPINFO lump so people can see how to use it define their SKY

There are now several colors of sky to choose from thanks to @dmdr. Unfortunately, a lot of them were too big and didn't work but we still have a decent selection of sky colors now. I have added a UMAPINFO lump so people can check the wad out in SLADE and see how to define their own custom SKY (it's very simple).

I'll be jamming all the newly posted maps too, I'm very excited for that so expect some feedback this weekend :) Let me know what you guys think of the resources, I think they're pretty well matured now.

WAD Title: PC-88 World 

This is the FINAL (unless there are some bugs) version of the WAD I submitted, with the fixes I said I would add. Now it doesn't feel tedious, at least I don't think. If you haven't read the earlier post, basically this wad is based off of the strange PC-88 port Donkey Kong 3, at least the backgrounds...

...kinda...

It is more so stuff I made mixed with reimagined versions of the original backgrounds. I think this is now partially better than what I had. Anyways, here is the wad: https://mega.nz/file/qfY2WBjD#UOL8kX8YsVRqFOBXTrP-6Rbwe25Q9_3HdGj5JraZFn4

and... Wait... Are those? SCREENSHOTS!!! 😱😱😱🤯🤯🤯

Screenshot_Doom_20220114_203533.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220114_203627.png

Due to recommendations from community project curator I've done small changes:

Renamed used MIDI track from "D_RUNNIN" to "HOSTDIST", so it now not gonna rewrite someone's used MIDI track.

Defined this MIDI track and SKY1 (that one with stars) along with proper name in "UMAPINFO" lump. But at final stage of this community project curator may need to change map number, 'cause i am not sure if my map fits very well to slot №01.

RMG_DIY_V3.zip

Edited by RastaManGames : V3 now leads to V4

7 hours ago, Nefelibeta said:

The cells placement is really intentional. The cybers on the sentries will snipe you before teleporting, and I don't want the player to release all of them before firing so I'd just place all the cells forward. Don't know if it's a good idea though.

god3.zip

I get you, the placement of the cells is fine imo. I wanted to try playing this fight again with and without backpack. Comparing it to similar fights in Dimensions Map03 and Nosp2 Map15, the former gives backpack and has cells easily within reach of the player, the latter has forward positioned cells and an 880 cell cap with backpack. I used as many BFG pre-fires as I could fit and stayed closer to the cybers. It's fine without backpack, just more annoying to complete. Feels better with backpack while also a bit easier. Personally, I feel pitting the player against this many monsters with this much total HP calls for a backpack, but it's up to you. :b

I thought it would be worth pointing out that I managed to skip the linedef for triggering the cybers a few times, looking at it in editor it is just a single trigger line, but you can just wallrun and exit before the cybers can even teleport in anyway. Not sure if intentional, but I think it's cool for speed route.

39 minutes ago, Spendoragon said:

I get you, the placement of the cells is fine imo. I wanted to try playing this fight again with and without backpack. Comparing it to similar fights in Dimensions Map03 and Nosp2 Map15, the former gives backpack and has cells easily within reach of the player, the latter has forward positioned cells and an 880 cell cap with backpack. I used as many BFG pre-fires as I could fit and stayed closer to the cybers. It's fine without backpack, just more annoying to complete. Feels better with backpack while also a bit easier. Personally, I feel pitting the player against this many monsters with this much total HP calls for a backpack, but it's up to you. :b

I thought it would be worth pointing out that I managed to skip the linedef for triggering the cybers a few times, looking at it in editor it is just a single trigger line, but you can just wallrun and exit before the cybers can even teleport in anyway. Not sure if intentional, but I think it's cool for speed route.

god4.zip

It's probably a better idea to make the finale easier, but it's meant to be a "screw you!" fight for UV players, not to mention if you play on HMP/HNTR, you won't have to do this fight(or should I say you can just exit at the purple tunnel, whatever.)

As for the skip trick, I adjusted the linedef a bit so you can't do a linedef skip now. But you can still just wallrun and ignore the entire fight. Just for the sake of players' sanity. :)

Damn my stupid brains and blind eyes...

Small (and, i hope, last) update on my entry:

Fixed two missing textures at the exit opening switch area. Also fixed wrong light level of some decorations near it.

Implemented one super-secret (so it may be useful to check out some optional area near end of journey).

RMG_DIY_V4.zip

Edited by RastaManGames : V4 now leads to V5

Finished the first version of my entry. I might go back and add more detail in some areas, but the gameplay is done.

Download v4

Name: Chromatose
Music: Lab 16's Ruins, from Chrono Trigger

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Notes: There is an optional secret fight. The secret fight may be hard. If you're having trouble finding it, there's some help at the exit.

Hv0yxF5.png

Edited by SCF