Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

[CP] DIY - Get imaginative with bold colors and MBF21 [WIP - Compiling]

Damn, I'm surprised I missed the latest version for several maps... Good catches guys, I'm glad you checked the spreadsheet. In light of this, I will double check that each version is the latest before I play them however please check the spreadsheet anyways and let me know if it's wrong because that would save me a bunch of time.

@SCF - It's cool, coop support usually isn't terribly complex. I should have made a small write up earlier with info on how to accommodate coop so I'll do it now instead.

If you have doors or barriers that get closed or raised to lock the player into an arena there are several ways to ensure coop compat. One method is to have the door be openable from the outside but not in (i.e put DR action on outside linedef and no action or key action on inside linedef). This isn't ideal, but still works, because it allows players to bypass the lock-in by opening the door for their buddy to escape through.

Usually, a good solution is to have the door close and lock behind a player as per usual but then open up a one way teleporter on the other side so players can tele in to the battle but still can't escape. You can do lots with this teleporter, make a cubby that opens up or a platform that lowers to reveal the tele.

You can also add multiplayer only things, both weapons and enemies. I would only really recommend doing this in either measured amounts or with considerable testing. It's easy to plonk down a couple of mp only cybers and AVs but unless you've tested and refined it more than likely won't work out well. I would recommend buffing up low and mid tier packs though, to help make it a bit more substantial for coop. I really enjoy doing this, it's a fun process IMO.

As for testing, if you have no facilities to test coop don't fret, we can accommodate that - we've had a very gracious offer from @Ralphis to help test the coop support. If you are able to test coop then that's great. Just be aware that Ralphis and myself will check each of the maps for coop support prior to release.

If anyone else has questions about coop drop a line here.

@xvertigox updated Toasted Naan to v2. when I opened UDB tonight I was only planning on fixing bugs I swear

rough changelog:

- bugfixes, balancing, and minor aesthetic tweaks

- modified progression slightly, including changing locations of plasma and BFG and adding more enemies (100% kills is now attainable as well)

- expanded outer arena considerably, but the new portion has damaging floor so the player doesn't have that much wiggle room

@xvertigox I've updated my map, and it should support coop now. Added player starts, and the two rooms that lock you in have teleporters outside. The teleporter rooms are hidden from the automap and close before you leave so you shouldn't even notice they're there in single player. I've tested them by just noclipping out of the room but it should all be working.

Hey @xvertigox probably my DM got buried in the pile - just letting you know that, if possible, I'd like to withdraw from the project. My map was assembled when I had a grand three days of mapping experience, and sadly I simply don't have the time and bandwidth at the moment to revise it to project standards. Sorry about this...

Made another update to my map. Sorry it took longer than I said it would, @xvertigox.

Changelog:

• Rebalanced health/ammo on all difficulties.
  • Added a second Cyberdemon on UV.
  • Overhauled the exit - it's now initially locked and opens with three keys.
  • Cleaned up some redundant vertices.

mfg38_diy_v3.zip

Vert hasn't been on dw for 2 weeks. I know he said he's a busy guy, but this is starting to worry me

It seems @xvertigox has been offline for a while and didn't update the progress report. Perhaps someone else should take over the compilation? The progress report has all the links to all the wads. I think I could help with that if necessary.

Obviously not trying to shame someone for having medical issues interfere with the project, but it would be a shame to have this project stuck in limbo.

A compilation would be nice. I am looking forward to do some co-op testing on Odamex for this entire set! (also: if you haven't added co-op starts and thought about softlocks: please do :) )

I would also be happy to record a playthrough once there is compilation

18 minutes ago, CblBOPOTKA said:

Compilation. Maps order taken from table.

Please tag me if something wrong with your map.

DIY_beta1.rar

If you got my map from the table then it's wrong since OP never updated the link, my latest map is posted just a few posts above

3 hours ago, CblBOPOTKA said:

I will try to make compilation today. Btw, @ViolentBeetle, can't find your map, the link from table is broken.

This should be it. I should be able to spend some time testing the compilation and produce suggestions on map order.

Be on a lookout for snowman throwing the SSG. For some reason previos version broke but I increased length of the scroll line. For the record, SSG should fly towards the player and fall on the ground level.

MAP01.zip

Edited by ViolentBeetle

12 hours ago, rouge_means_red said:

If you got my map from the table then it's wrong since OP never updated the link, my latest map is posted just a few posts above

Seems like a typo in table, it follows to the right version you've pointed out.

Btw, what nickname do you prefer to be displayed in wad? @rouge_means_red

10 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

This should be it. I should be able to spend some time testing the compilation and produce suggestions on map order.

Be on a lookout for snowman throwing the SSG. For some reason previos version broke but I increased length of the scroll line. For the record, SSG should fly towards the player and fall on the ground level.

MAP01.zip

Completely playable map (and fun). Snowman does its job. I'll include map in next compilation.

Edited by CblBOPOTKA

Played it for a bit, up to map 6. My feedback and classification so far so far.

Spoiler

MAP01: Works as starter map, but perhaps something shorter and more detailed would work even better before it. (Easy)

MAP02: Simplistic boss battle. Good episode ender. (Mid bossfight)

MAP03: Mid-difficulty, long map. Probably need to have switches with switch textures. (Mid)

MAP04: Really hard.

MAP05: Easy and Inviting, but very long and suddenly slaughterific.

MAP06: Oh my god why. Also I suggest writing its name as “One Bad Map” because my brain kinda filters the number at the start, I imagine a lot of people would filter it as Map 1: Bad Map (Very hard)

Proposed order so far:

Episode 1:

MAP33 (I don't really want to campaign for my own map to be first, but so far I think it would work best)

MAP01 (It's pretty easy)

MAP05 (It's a bit harder)

Episode 2:

MAP03

MAP02 (Basically a boss battle)

Episode 3:

MAP04

MAP06 (Could well be the final map of the set. Hopefully, it's as hard as it gets)

Further playthrough:

MAP07: Two megaspheres are not really reachable until it's too late. UMAPINFO ends game here. (High-mid or low-hard)

MAP08: Sudden difficulty escalation. Maybe this should be boss level of second episode? Purple pillar is entirely unintuitive but vital. Move it to revenant box perhaps? Or link to opening of the red door? Yellow switch has no indication it requires a key.

MAP09: Low intensity fight with limited resources. I don't think it's possible to kill cyberdemon. Weird graphical issue on the wall of a room adjacent to the room controlling exit gate. Could be a good episode opener

Resived proposed order:

Episode 1

MAP33

MAP01

MAP05

MAP02

Episode 2

MAP09

MAP03

MAP07

MAP08

Episode 3

MAP04

MAP06

Some more, probably that's all for today

MAP10: I don't get it. Is there a secret exit or something? The map just ended with me having 9% kills. (The one fight I actually found was very very hard)

MAP11: Big room with imps and cyberdemons. It's pretty hard, but there's also invulnerability and stuff. (Pretty hard, I guess)

MAP12: I'm in a black room and then I die.

MAP13: Very strong concept, non-overwhelming slaughter, good for E3 opening

Episode 1

MAP33

MAP01

MAP05

MAP02

Episode 2

MAP09

MAP03

MAP07

MAP11

MAP08

Episode 3

MAP13

MAP04

MAP10 (???, it's pretty hard, but all fights but one seem to be hidden)

MAP06

Unclassified because I don't get it:

MAP12