Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

[CP] DIY - Get imaginative with bold colors and MBF21 [WIP - Compiling]

Started my playthrough. I assume the maps are currently just ordered by submission? So far I agree with ViolentBeetle's relative order of difficulty for these first four, although I don't think map4 is that bad.

MAP01: PC-88 World by FellowNoob

Spoiler

I like some of the setpieces, like the building in the first outdoor room. Gameplay-wise there's so much space that it doesn't require you to engage with the enemies at all. You can just ignore them and run straight to the end.

All sectors in the secret room are tagged as secret, so there are a total of 31 secrets (some of which you can't even get).

Also, the music is... mildly repetitive.

MAP02: Zeusian Circles v3 by @MFG38

Spoiler

I feel like this map could use a forced shootable switch at the start to wake up all the enemies, because not shooting makes it way eaier. You can grab the yellow key without alerting either cyber, and you only have to wake up both to get the red one (and you also avoid the giant caco cloud that way).

I got a little frustrated with the map geometry. Because there's no shadows, I died multiple times because I couldn't see that there was a death pit between two platforms before it was too late. In theory I think it's a fun boss battle but the random deaths made it rather annoying. It might help making the pits brighter/darker so the sides of platform are clearly visible.

MAP03: Checksumv2 by /vr/ anon

Spoiler

I assume this isn't someone on Doomworld then? Either way it's a good map and I didn't find any issues. I think the switches were are clear enough, although I might've been primed by reading ViolentBeetle's post beforehand.

MAP04: Are You Trying To Traumatize Somebody v3 by @lunchlunch

Spoiler

Not nearly as traumatizing as the map name made expect, but otherwise a well made and challenging map and I enjoyed it.

Second batch. I hadn't played any maps for this project yet, and so far I'm very impressed with the submissions. A lot of creative usage of the textures.

Map05: Daisy Fields v2 by @DynamiteKaitorn

Spoiler

The sector flowers are cute, and I also like the tree rings. Overall a very nicely detailed map. The only problem I have with it is that a lot of enemies can easily be ignored, especially in the first and last areas. I recorded a demo because it's easier to show than explain. I wasn't trying to rush through it, but when it gives me the opportunity to move on without fighting I'll take it.

Note that the demo requires the beta 1.1 compilation where the map is in slot 5.

DIY_Beta1.1_map05.lmp.zip

Map06: 1 Bad Map by @Spendoragon

Spoiler

No problems found except for a mild loss of sanity from all the times I got blocked by a lost soul on the ring at the end and fell off. Still, all the challenges seemed fair. I liked the look of the the rainbow room, but the white room with the strobe light was kind of painful to fight in (I know this is hypocritical because I put the same thing in my own map). It might be easier on the eyes if it had more sectors to make the light smoother.

Map07: Stupid Slaughter by @dmdr

Spoiler

First half of the map is pretty good. The opening fight gets a lot easier once you realize you have plenty of cells to work with, but it's solid fun. The BFG fight feels a bit lacking though. There's so much spare health in the arena, and most enemies will get stuck infighting. If you BFG the row of arachnotrons you can sit on the ledge and be safe from everything except the cybers and cacos, with an extra megasphere for emergencies.

Map08: Harvest Moon v2 by @CblBOPOTKA

Spoiler

Great aesthetics, I love the architecture and the use of color. All around a very good map, no issues found. My favorite one so far.

Map09: Hostile District by @RastaManGames

Spoiler

Lots of doomcute. I like the yellow lit-up in windows in particular. I went in expecting to be limited on ammo, and as a result I got 100% kills with 77 shells left, so I don't think there's any problem. Although that did rely on finding the hidden SSG.

I'll update my difficulty order later

I think this one deserves its own post. I'm definitely not getting around to playing more maps today.

Map10: Pririrutsenne by @Master Medi

Spoiler

Well, I beat it, but it took me about an 90 minutes even with saves. And even then, I don't feel like I found the intended solution to either fight.

For the first fight, I'm not sure if you were aware, but you can run straight up and grab the blue key before the archviles even pop up, which allows you to exit the map without basically fighting anything. But that's useless if you actually want to clear it. I couldn't see a reliable way to get both the green armor and the rocket launcher; going for the armor just causes the revenants to block the rocket launcher. You don't have much time before the archviles appear and there's basically no cover, so the only way I could find to beat it was to grab the rocket launcher, escape back to the starting area, and kite/kill the revenants from there. It's doable, but without the armor there's very little room for error, and you can't afford to waste ammo. And even then, the rocket launcher/rockets were sometimes impossible to grab because a baron would start infighting on top of it. Also, if you intentionally added those holes in the wall so the archvile could zap you through them, congratulations, you're an evil genius. I lost many attempts because of that.

For the big secret fight, I assume my strategy was not the intended one, but I'm also not sure how else to do it. Staying outside I get completely overwhelmed once the archviles break free. But I found out that if you clear the first line of archviles, you can hide in the alcove in the corner (where the chaingunners were). So what I did was fire 2 BFG rounds at the viles, restock, fire another one or two, make sure both cyberdemons have woken up, then dive into the corner and take out the remaining archviles one shot at a time. There should be enough imps clogging up the hallway that you're safe from the more dangerous enemies for a while (might need to BFG them once). Then once the viles are all dead, keep the other enemies away with rockets until the exit room opens up, and you're pretty safe in there. With the cyberdemons infighting you *may* have enough ammo left to clear enough imps and cacodemons to get back out and grab the remaining cells. I don't know if this is at all reliable, but I got it working once and that was good enough for me.

I won't say much about the secrets themselves. I don't care for puzzles so I looked them up in the editor, and they are definitely very well hidden. It does feel a little weird to have most of the level locked behind secrets though.

By the way, the deep water looks glitchy in GZDoom with software rendering. Don't know why, and it looks fine in opengl, and in dsda-doom in both software and opengl:

7HSAben.png

My difficulty ranking so far: 1, 5, 3, 9, 2, 7, 8, 4, 6, 10

Videos coming

MAP01: PC-88 World by FellowNoob

Spoiler

Easy simple map

MAP02: Zeusian Circles v3 by @MFG38

Spoiler

Cool boss map

MAP03: Checksumv2 by /vr/ anon

Spoiler

Good map.
I did not really understood at first that I need to backtrack from plasma gun room. I thought I missed something since there was not any keys or anything really.

MAP04: Are You Trying To Traumatize Somebody v3 by @lunchlunch

Spoiler

Good challenge, I like. Also obligatory secrets lmao

Map05: Daisy Fields v2 by @DynamiteKaitorn

Spoiler

Cute map:3 Last area could maybe require you to climb
that hill with arachnotrons before you can exit.

Played another set of maps.

MAP11: The Emperors of Ice Cream v2 by @Thelokk

Spoiler

I strongly disagree with Violentbeetle's difficulty estimate. You can end the level before the first invulnerability runs out, so I'd actually consider it one of the easiest maps so far. The main issue is it doesn't give you any real reason to engage with the enemies, unless you want to get 100% kills. And even then, they don't apply much pressure. There's tons of space and health, plus the BFG and invulns. There's also not a lot of ammo, and no other weapons to fall back on, so I didn't even get close to all the kills.

MAP12: Skarlet's Devil Daggers v0.4 by @Pixel Fiend

Spoiler

I really dig the color scheme, but not so much having to figure out what the map expected from me to while getting pelted from all sides. Maybe I'm dumb, but I couldn't tell you're supposed to shoot the pillars to lower them. Since I couldn't leave the area or interact with anything, I just assumed the section was on a timer. It may help if it showed you one of those pillars in the starting room, so you can work it out without any enemies to distract you.

In the final area, I didn't realize there were numbers on the floor, so I just ran in circles trying to shoot every pillar. I'll chalk it up to me never playing puzzle maps. Still, it would be nice if the switch in the center changed color or anything to indicate that it's active (for example by putting a differently colored sector in front of it that lowers).

I consider this one of the harder maps because you have to figure all of this out before you get overwhelmed by the monster spawners.

MAP13: Rainbow Road by @Meowgi

Spoiler

Nice map, the star theming looks great. The fights are pretty mild, even the final one since you can take it slowly if you want (of course I unleashed all enemies at once, which still works fine since everything will infight).

It would be nice to have a chaingun at the start, for when one of the cacodemons flies off into the far distance.

MAP14: Neon Dream by @Colossus

Spoiler

Fun collection of combat setpieces. Did you intentionally fill the red key room with enemies that have red projectiles? I had a surprisingly hard time not running into the mancubus fireballs.

MAP15: Through Time and Space by @Vortale

Spoiler

A great example of what you can do with limited textures. Love the look of it. Each section is instantly recognizable. Mostly not too difficult, but the last fight has some teeth.

Unfortunately the BFG secret doesn't work in GZDoom. You move too fast and can't change directions at all. I assume it's related to the different conveyor speeds in Boom/GZ.

Updated difficulty ranking: 1, 11, 5, 3, 9, 15, 13, 2, 14, 7, 8, 4, 12, 6, 10

10 hours ago, SCF said:

MAP12: Skarlet's Devil Daggers v0.4 by @Pixel Fiend

Hide contents

I really dig the color scheme, but not so much having to figure out what the map expected from me to while getting pelted from all sides. Maybe I'm dumb, but I couldn't tell you're supposed to shoot the pillars to lower them. Since I couldn't leave the area or interact with anything, I just assumed the section was on a timer. It may help if it showed you one of those pillars in the starting room, so you can work it out without any enemies to distract you.

In the final area, I didn't realize there were numbers on the floor, so I just ran in circles trying to shoot every pillar. I'll chalk it up to me never playing puzzle maps. Still, it would be nice if the switch in the center changed color or anything to indicate that it's active (for example by putting a differently colored sector in front of it that lowers).

I consider this one of the harder maps because you have to figure all of this out before you get overwhelmed by the monster spawners.

Unfortunately I'd been waiting for a word from OP before I could be bothered to make an improvement. I'm too slow at mapping to do it eagerly. I could take a look on the weekend and send a file with a more fun version to play if that's still an option.

Months ago I also sent in new graphics, titlepic, interpic, m_doom - do you have those? 

I found the graphics, let me know if you want them and if so if something should be improved:

M_SKULL1, M_SKULL2

M_SKULL1.png

M_SKULL2.png

M_DOOM

M_DOOM.png

TITLEPIC

TITLEPIC.png

INTERPIC

INTERPIC.png

I find small font currently used difficult to read. Is it just me or should we look into replacing it with something else. I think regular letters would fit the purpose of the project.

On 5/18/2022 at 11:14 AM, ViolentBeetle said:

MAP10: I don't get it. Is there a secret exit or something? The map just ended with me having 9% kills. (The one fight I actually found was very very hard)

There's a secret fight in the map but it's hidden behind several secrets

On 5/18/2022 at 5:49 PM, SCF said:

I think this one deserves its own post. I'm definitely not getting around to playing more maps today.

Map10: Pririrutsenne by @Master Medi

Reveal hidden contents

Well, I beat it, but it took me about an 90 minutes even with saves. And even then, I don't feel like I found the intended solution to either fight.

For the first fight, I'm not sure if you were aware, but you can run straight up and grab the blue key before the archviles even pop up, which allows you to exit the map without basically fighting anything. But that's useless if you actually want to clear it. I couldn't see a reliable way to get both the green armor and the rocket launcher; going for the armor just causes the revenants to block the rocket launcher. You don't have much time before the archviles appear and there's basically no cover, so the only way I could find to beat it was to grab the rocket launcher, escape back to the starting area, and kite/kill the revenants from there. It's doable, but without the armor there's very little room for error, and you can't afford to waste ammo. And even then, the rocket launcher/rockets were sometimes impossible to grab because a baron would start infighting on top of it. Also, if you intentionally added those holes in the wall so the archvile could zap you through them, congratulations, you're an evil genius. I lost many attempts because of that.

For the big secret fight, I assume my strategy was not the intended one, but I'm also not sure how else to do it. Staying outside I get completely overwhelmed once the archviles break free. But I found out that if you clear the first line of archviles, you can hide in the alcove in the corner (where the chaingunners were). So what I did was fire 2 BFG rounds at the viles, restock, fire another one or two, make sure both cyberdemons have woken up, then dive into the corner and take out the remaining archviles one shot at a time. There should be enough imps clogging up the hallway that you're safe from the more dangerous enemies for a while (might need to BFG them once). Then once the viles are all dead, keep the other enemies away with rockets until the exit room opens up, and you're pretty safe in there. With the cyberdemons infighting you *may* have enough ammo left to clear enough imps and cacodemons to get back out and grab the remaining cells. I don't know if this is at all reliable, but I got it working once and that was good enough for me.

I won't say much about the secrets themselves. I don't care for puzzles so I looked them up in the editor, and they are definitely very well hidden. It does feel a little weird to have most of the level locked behind secrets though.

By the way, the deep water looks glitchy in GZDoom with software rendering. Don't know why, and it looks fine in opengl, and in dsda-doom in both software and opengl:

7HSAben.png

My difficulty ranking so far: 1, 5, 3, 9, 2, 7, 8, 4, 6, 10

Thanks for playing it!

Spoiler

Regarding the picking up of the blue key I wanted for pacifist runners if it's ever done to have a bit of an easier time, for the first fight I tried to an archvile as soon as possible so that you can have a room to breathe and run around circle strafing that's what I did, but if other strat works I'm okay with that

As for the secret fight it's intended to be extra hard, the only reliable strat I can recommend is to focus mainly on the archviles while keeping the imps at bay, having the cyberdemons infight is a must ohterwise you're overwhelmed by imps. From the strategy you said you did, it's definitely not how I intended for it to be but if it works then seems good :D

Quick FYI Maribo stated in her post that she would like to withdraw her submission from the DIY project

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/126692-cp-diy-get-imaginative-with-bold-colors-and-mbf21-wip-compiling/?page=9&tab=comments#comment-2455229

If people consider that my map is too hard I'm okay with nerfing it

43 minutes ago, Master Medi said:

If people consider that my map is too hard I'm okay with nerfing it

This is just my opinion, but I don't think it's a problem if maps are hard as long as they're not blatant TAS-only levels of unfair, and there are proper difficulty settings. I gave the map a try on HNTR and beat it pretty easily, so it seems fine on that front.

2 hours ago, Nefelibeta said:

Oh, my map title is "Beneath God's World" not just "God"

Aw, sorry, somehow i was sure it called God)

Also wondering what nicknames do you prefer to be displayed in wad, since they're been changed @rouge_means_red @Pixel Fiend

Skipped map 21 because it's my own. I'll make sure to play the updated version of map 24 when I get to it. I'm running out of different ways to say I like the looks of maps (which I guess is a good thing).

MAP16: SCT Praline Study v2 by Cuppykeks

Spoiler

Good map, with nice usage of the textures. I really like the key card symbols carved into the wall next to the key doors.

MAP17: Toasted Naan by @Gothic Box

Spoiler

Another enjoyable map. Although the BFG fight can be punishing with how dark it is. It's very easy to walk right into the loving embrace of a cyberdemon, and that can be a bit frustrating. I also had no cells and few rockets left when I triggered the exit fight, and had to shotgun the archviles. Would be nice to have some extra ammo up there just in case.

MAP18: Colors out of Space by @Skeaze

Spoiler

Wonderful visuals. Once again I'm really impressed with what some people have done with the texture set. The only minor issue is that you can wake up the archviles in the skull eyes if you get close before they come out of the floor. But that may have been intentional.

MAP19: C Sector by @CBM

Spoiler

Kind of a strange map. The arsenal seems like overkill when all you face is imps, demons and shotgunners. Instead of a BFG I would've rather had more health or some armor, so I don't get chipped down by all the hitscan.

I don't like how each of the four small keen rooms locks you inside and requires you to take the long way around to get back. That just seems like an unnecessary time waster. And you can easily circumvent it by just killing the keens and leaving the room before the door closes behind you.

The map looks fine, but the gameplay feels like an afterthought. And there doesn't seem to be much point to the secrets either.

MAP20: Panic at the Disco by @ryiron

Spoiler

Another nice doomcute city. The visual effects for the disco section are very well done. The fight itself is a little easy to win by circle strafing, but overall it's a fun map.

MAP22: Satan Spilled his Skittles by @xdarkmasterx

Spoiler

I liked this map, until the big fight before the rainbow pyramid which is a huge difficulty spike and I couldn't figure out how to beat it before I got tired of trying. The archviles kept flanking me, and the terrain makes it surprisingly annoying to hit them with rockets. The switch pillars provide some cover, but if you hit the step of the stairs they can see you over the top. There might be a better strategy I overlooked, because the rest of the map wasn't nearly that hard.

Also, in the section with the wall of barons, it looks like you're expected to kill the imps and run across the white platforms. But you can just ignore all of that that and walk over the damaging floor. You can even avoid taking any damage by hopping over the rightmost white platforms that don't have enemies. I would've expected the floor to be lower so you can't do that.

MAP23: Beneath God's World v3 by @Nefelibeta

Spoiler

When a map looks like an monocolored abstract neon dimension, you know it's going to be hard.

Yellow key fight: You don't get any armor? I had about 140 blue armor left from the first room, and it was still a tough fight. Can't imagine doing it with none at all. All those chaingunners can do a lot of chip damage.

The randomness of the enemies (because they're all in the same teleport closet) makes it hard to form a consistent strategy. Sometimes the archviles come out immediately, sometimes the cyberdemon appears in your face

The other key fights seemed much easier in comparison. The red key fight and the one after the 3 key doors both give you a lot of health, which was enough to beat both of them first try.

However, I couldn't beat the cyberdemon party at the end. If I grinded enough attempts I would probably get through it, but I had no good strategy beyond letting them come towards me and then hope they stick to one side and let me pass in order to reach the ammo. I did notice that if you straferun towards the exit you can reliably get through before they teleport in and skip the fight completely.

Current diffculty ranking: 1, 11, 19, 5, 20, 3, 9, 18, 16, 15, 13, 2, 14, 7, 17, 8, 4, 12, 22, 6, 23, 10

I won't pretend this order is at all accurate and there's a lot of maps that feel very similar in difficulty, but it should be good enough for grouping them into episodes.

@SCF Thanks for playing dude. This map is indeed very difficult. The most reliable way to do the last fight is to maneuver in a "8" shape, which allows you to dodge most of the rockets, but you'll also need the dodge the ones in front of you.

I'll have to warn you about Flower Garden, it is one of the hardest maps I've ever played. And it contains platforming sections.

@SCF Glad you liked it! I followed your suggestions accordingly:

- Brightened up outside arena (You were right - the cyberdemons perfectly blend in with the sky at that distance. I definitely didn't get facerocketed out of nowhere multiple times while testing)

- Added 2 small islands near the edge of the map, with extra rockets, cells, health and armor

- Moved cyberdemon teleports to said islands so they spawn farther away from the player

- Added more fancy voodoo doll stuff that serves no gameplay purpose whatsoever :)

ToastedNaan_v3.wad

@SCF

Skarlet's Devil Daggers - Will try to upload the update tomorrow

Some planned changes:

Automap - Walls will not be visible

Room 1 - No major changes - takes about 1 second to exit

Room 2 - Redesign of the area with the switch that opens the cage

Room 3 - The 8 pillars open automatically on timers, each summoning a new wave. Then the ninth switch in the centre has to be pressed.

@SCF Thanks for playing. This is one of the first public maps I have released and I wasn’t sure where to set the bar on difficultly for a community map project. I aimed for making it more on the accessible to all players side. I especially wanted the disco section to prioritise fun over difficultly, but I could possibly bump it a bit on UV?

All right, finished the remaining maps. Running on fumes here, so I don't have any in depth commentary on some of them.

Happy to report that, unless I forgot something, I didn't encounter any gamebreaking bugs in any of the maps. It's no guarantee that there's no issues left of course, but it's a good sign. I think we have a very good map set on our hands.

To anyone who's updated their map in the meantime, sorry, but I don't think I'll be able to play the updated versions as well. I need a break after this marathon. Hopefully one of the other people who were playing through it will get around to them.

Map 26 was skipped since it was withdrawn by the author

MAP24: Flower Garden v4 by @El Inferno

Spoiler

The first fight doesn't seem like it should be hard, but the way the imps blend in perfectly with the walls was really tripping me up.

Is falling into the river not supposed to kill you? You just get stuck unless you find one specific corner that does kill you.

Unfortunately I didn't finish the map since the platforming was too much for me, so I can't say anything about the rest of it.

MAP25: Ant by @rouge_means_red

Spoiler

A welcome reprieve from all the punishingly difficult maps. Very cute.

MAP27: Temple of Froggo v3 by @muumi

Spoiler

I'm always looking forward to your community project submissions, and this one was again fantastic. Huge map packed with so much detail. And a lot of cute frogs.

I would consider it on the upper end of 'average difficulty' except for the final fight, which I only beat through brute force. My biggest issue was that all the supercharges are near the enemy teleport destinations, so most of the time going for one just got me killed.

MAP28: Rush 2 Coffee by @Peccatum Mihzamiz

Spoiler

I was already loving it, and then I saw the automap and I loved it even more. I think it should be one of the early maps because it's not difficult, and also a great showcase map for the wad.

MAP29: Not Very Cash Money by @Chookum

Spoiler

Good gimmick map. A lot of effort clearly went into the environment, and it looks great. The gameplay is mostly running around, but it's fine. If it were harder, then all the visual distractions would've started becoming a problem.

MAP30: Ultra Doomguy World by @DrJordo

Spoiler

I liked it. Nice relaxing stroll through some Mario-esque zones. Possible contender for the MAP01 slot.

I noticed the lava floor at the start of the cave section isn't damaging, but the other ones are.

MAP31: Back to the Pyramid by @knifeworld

Spoiler

Liked it

At the drop down towards the yellow key area, the imps appear before you actually go down. So it's very easy to just trigger them from aboe and take them out from safety. Speaking of which, what does the yellow key even do? It doesn't seem to be required to finish the level.

After the BFG fight, if you fall during the next platforming section, the teleporter takes you all the way back to the beginning. I assume it's because all the pit areas are connected, but it was still a little annoying.

MAP32: Big Boo's Spooky House by @Philnemba

Spoiler

Sorry, after 32 maps I'm really running out of words. Didn't find any issues, although it's easy to accidentally step outside the boundary and get killed instantly.

MAP33: Solstice by @ViolentBeetle

Spoiler

Cozy map, as far as a map full of revenants, mancubi and archviles can be cozy. Throws a lot at you but gives you plenty of space and ammo, so it's still one of the easier entries.

Final difficulty ranking: 1, 19, 11, 33, 30, 29, 28, 25, 5, 20, 3, 9, 32, 31, 18, 16, 15, 13, 2, 14, 7, 17, 8, 27, 4, 12, 22, 6, 23, 10, 24(?)

I've definitely reached my limit for how many maps I can keep track of at once, so consider it a rough estimate. I didn't include my own map (21), but I'd estimate it's in the upper middle region (the hardest fight is entirely optional).

Great work @SCF. You've done an incredible work playtesting so many maps. There's gotta be much good material here. Thanks to your feedback I'll make sure to radically change my map so that it's really fun to play. 

doom66.png.c8c19dd72dfd742c1d15af920bd38491.png

GMeeWKE.png

Skarlet's Daggers: The Plasmatic Trials

Download: SKARLETS DAGGERS THE PLASMATIC TRIALS.zip

I probably put more work into the map than I should have so I hope you enjoy it.

Please note the name change. If you spot bugs and things worth improving then please let me know.

The first room has a small secret area.

The second room has gained entertaining monsters and more intuitive unlocking.

In the third room the dagger keys unlock automatically once you start the sequence. Reveal all 8 golden daggers to open the gate.

The cacodemon swarm is indeed intended for infinitely tall monsters - you're supposed to push to the outer rim once they get close enough to the centre.

Nb7qqdY.jpg

EDIT: FILE UPDATED. Now in ZIP file. Fixed the triggering problem with those tubes as shown above. You have to shoot the plasma gun at the beginning once to progress.

1808930105_INTERPIC2.png.d617d67d4103a4be927f3c8140801217.png

This is the new suggested version of the INTERPIC. The positions are adjusted to overlap well with the scoring text.

Any suggestions for the main menu and intermission midis? Resource file has some medieval jingle that doesn't fit.

Edited by Pixel Fiend

Thanks for the feedback SCF! I will admit I forgot GZDoom existed while making this and didn't think to test the conveyers with them. The BFG secret should now be available for all! 

Timeandspace1.1.zip

Ok, so what's the plan? Sorry I'm not contibuting to difficulty ranking as promised but I trust @SCF judgement, our opinions mostly overlapped.

I feel like we could really use a replacement font, something cute but standard. Without volue Doom font looks ugly.

My personal preference is also to put mapper's name on the intermission screen and not on the automap, particularly considering some don't fit.

Update to my map as per @SCF's feedback. Changelog:

• Lowered the brightness of the surrounding sector in an effort to make the edges of the platforms easier to see.
  • Added "cage" with shootable switch to starting point.
  • Deleted some more redundant vertices.

mfg38_diy_v4.zip

9 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Ok, so what's the plan?

I'll have time on Saturday to update map and to recompile wad with the proposed maps order. There are many untracked updates.

16 hours ago, CblBOPOTKA said:

I'll have time on Saturday to update map and to recompile wad with the proposed maps order. There are many untracked updates.

I think Map 1 would not give a very good impression, it's a bit awkward. I think ideally MAP01 should be something small and pretty.

@SCF since you played all the maps, did you find anything fitting in the second half?

I was kinda thinking my map (Currently 33) would work since it both shows what DIY can do but also short and won't overshadow some of the more ambitious maps, but I don't want to promote my own submission too much.

I agree, the opening map(s) should be stunning and small. I haven't seen ViolentBeetle's map for this project yet but I know he does excellent stuff so it might probably be a good pick indeed.

1 hour ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I think Map 1 would not give a very good impression, it's a bit awkward. I think ideally MAP01 should be something small and pretty.

@SCF since you played all the maps, did you find anything fitting in the second half?

I was kinda thinking my map (Currently 33) would work since it both shows what DIY can do but also short and won't overshadow some of the more ambitious maps, but I don't want to promote my own submission too much.

I agree, I think your map would work well as an opener. It's short, not too difficult, and looks good. My ranking was purely based on difficulty, not on what would make for a good WAD progression.

On 5/19/2022 at 5:43 PM, SCF said:

Hide contents

Nice map, the star theming looks great. The fights are pretty mild, even the final one since you can take it slowly if you want (of course I unleashed all enemies at once, which still works fine since everything will infight).

It would be nice to have a chaingun at the start, for when one of the cacodemons flies off into the far distance.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you like the map. Yeah, it was never meant to be hard. I was going for "EZPZ fights" into "baby slaughter". I won't be making any changes to the map at this point, but if you feel it should have a chaingun (and bullets), you have my permission to add them :)