Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

JAMAL JONES TRILOGY - Old development thread - [Doomkid's 20 Years Mapping Contest]

Yup, I also added the co-op start, but didn't do any special testing. I guess some traps can be easily avoided by blocking closing doors, etc. But hey, that's actually what coop is for :)

@Peccatum Mihzamiz have you ever used Slade? It’s pretty easy to dump maps and MIDIs into one big wad and rename them to “map01, map02” etc internally, and rename their MIDIs accordingly. Bonnie made a list of what MIDI name corresponds to which map: 

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1955963

You could use a mapinfo lump - but trying to learn how to make a proper one without time to fix it up properly seems hellish. Compiling two large wads with under 32 levels each would be a lot less torturous!

Dammit I also forgot co-op and dm starts

@Doomkid

is it too late to quickly add some co-op and dm starts to my map?

here is a version of my map with co-op and dm starts:

1world v.1.3

Ah sh*, are co-op starts mandatory? I must have missed this in the intro post :( I'm not at my computer now, is it alright if I send a new file with the co-op starts included later?

The rules where vanilla compatible so co-op starts would have been mandatory as well as difficulties and deathmatch starts

25 minutes ago, Earnesttrout said:

The rules where vanilla compatible so co-op starts would have been mandatory as well as difficulties and deathmatch starts

Vanilla-compatible doesn't equal to co-op / deathmatch starts. Most cps more so see them as an extra, and I think that's even more so the case for a mapping contest.

I am postponing my co-op playthrough by one week. It will now be on the 10th of March, starting at 6PM UTC. I will be streaming the playthrough live on my Twitch channel and invite any mappers for this project to join in on the playthrough. I will be hosting the server on Zandronum (via The Sentinel's Playground) and will have a discord voice chat channel for people that feel so inclined. I will probably save the stream + upload it to my YouTube channel later. Please send me a DM if you want to join.

I am postponing this playthrough for two reasons:
-number one is that I hadn't anticipated having to combine all the maps into two wad files and simple as this may be to many of you: I have never compiled a megawad before and I didn't have the time to figure it out.
-number two is that quite a few people seemed to be experiencing some (mild) distress over a co-op playthrough happening, when they never expected their maps to have to be co-op compatible. I completely understand these feelings and I am sorry for any bad feelings caused. I'll compile the 55 maps into 2 megawads in the coming week and will add any new versions with co-op starts to them. And again: if a map has no co-op starts I completely understand and I will just skip it during the playthrough. No judgement or anything like that from me at all. I'm just doing a casual playthrough, possibly discovering a few things here and there that might be interesting for mappers to see.

I better weigh in in this: please DO NOT stress if you’ve forgotten coop starts!

I’m 99% sure Zandronum, ZDaemon and Odamex can use the P1 spawn point for all players in a cooperative server.. in the mean time, please feel free to post an update of your maps with coop and DM starts, just for compatibility. We’ll need to get this done for every map anyway to avoid crashes at some stage pre-idgames upload!

(Btw, don’t overthink it. As long as there’s 4 coop starts and 4 dm starts in the map anywhere near the start point, that’s all we’ll need to avoid crashes..!)

51 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I better weigh in in this: please DO NOT stress if you’ve forgotten coop starts!

I’m 99% sure Zandronum, ZDaemon and Odamex can use the P1 spawn point for all players in a cooperative server.. in the mean time, please feel free to post an update of your maps with coop and DM starts, just for compatibility. We’ll need to get this done for every map anyway to avoid crashes at some stage pre-idgames upload!

(Btw, don’t overthink it. As long as there’s 4 coop starts and 4 dm starts in the map anywhere near the start point, that’s all we’ll need to avoid crashes..!)

I was not expecting people to panic this hard this quickly.

I simply added co op and DM stuff because I felt like I didn't do much with it, I assumed people were actually doing stuff with those, but I guess not. :P

6 minutes ago, Synuś Vader said:

woah, i forgot to add DM things to my map, we still have time, dont we?

For Peccatum’s sake, you may want to have a version with multiplayer stuff added before the 10th, but we’ll be taking most of March and probably a good chunk of April refining the maps and fixing bugs anyway, so it’s no rush.

Actually did the BourgDM thing: copied the map's layout to remove some not-so-dm-y things in the alternative version, like monster closets, secrets or stairs activated by switches. Hope I didn't accidentally break anything in the original map. I've never played it myself, but I think the compact and arena-like layout should work pretty well for dm. Co-op starts are now included as well, though I didn't do any rebalancing for that.
Anyways: ~ outdated version, check out my newest post instead ~

Edited by Yumheart

Here is a version of my map with added co-op and DM starts:

https://doomshack.org/uploads/damneddam_v3.wad

There are no other changes to the map, so for single player there is no difference from v2.

@Peccatum Mihzamiz if you would like to play my map in co-op, please use that version. I haven't tested it but I wouldn't expect any softlocks so I think the map should be playable in co-op without issues.

On 3/2/2022 at 1:40 AM, Doomkid said:

I have a pretty busy weekend ahead of me, but the first submission playing stream will be Tuesday the 8th, 7AM eastern Aussie time (so, the afternoon/evening of Monday the 7th for those in the US).

Sadly I have Mock exams on the steaming date, however I will be sure to watch the reviews on YouTube and look forward to doing so!

Wishing all mappers for this project the best of luck. Will try to watch the stream if I can.

@Doomkid

ok, so I've added some more stuff that should make coop and dm more viable on my map even though it was never designed for that... here is version 1.4

1world v.1.4

ps: dm and coop are completely untested but I reckon they'll still have fun

On 1/10/2022 at 12:50 PM, Origamyde said:

Version 1.1 : Fixed a bug with the monster traps (courtesy of Doomkid), trimmed some textures, added four additional enemies that were missing in the first version.

============================================================================================

Alright, folks, here's my contribution for Doomkid's 20YMC : Derelict Row !

Derelict Row - OneManOri (20 Years of Mapping Contest).zip

* Tested on :

- GZDoom (Works flawlessly)

- PRBoom+ (Works flawlessly)

- DSDA-Doom (Works flawlessly)

- Crispy Doom (Works flawlessly)

* THIS WAD CANNOT BE PLAYED IN RUDE / CHOCOLATE DOOM / VANILLA DOOM

* Fully implemented difficulty settings

* Co-op compatible

* Multiplayer compatible

* MIDI used : Put You Down by Alice In Chains (MIDI rendition by Doomkid)

"Jamal Jones finds himself stranded in a former UAC complex, now overrun by decay, ruin and demons. It's time to reclaim the place !"

Reveal hidden contents

1221416781_2022-01-1017_16_31-DerelictRow-OneManOri(20YearsofMappingContest).wad(MAP01)-UltimateDo.png.5a5692ce47a57d256702c1573b531854.png

1507238077_2022-01-1017_18_59-DerelictRow-OneManOri(20YearsofMappingContest).wad(MAP01)-UltimateDo.png.6a1ab9a540ae97f0d63e8d3d8ca7ba20.png

1324916841_2022-01-1017_18_28-DerelictRow-OneManOri(20YearsofMappingContest).wad(MAP01)-UltimateDo.png.0eb90196706940eea09a773f15af3a97.png

743835179_2022-01-1017_17_15-DerelictRow-OneManOri(20YearsofMappingContest).wad(MAP01)-UltimateDo.png.91e3a1a1f925bd8a2df24f3249521dbb.png

Good times with some hectic action here and there! Love it 

Kind of random but I love this mod so much I played One Humanity with it lol

18 minutes ago, Clippy said:

Good times with some hectic action here and there! Love it 

Hey there Clippy !

Thanks for playing this lil' WAD of mine :D

If you're interested as well, @Cammy contributed towards making a working vanilla-compatible version of Derelict Row available here : https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2459955

Additionally, there is also another WAD I had made for Jamal Jones due to Derelict Row's non-vanilla status. It's called Wheel of (mis)Fortune, and you can play it here : https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2447259

See you soon ! :O

8 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I’ll be doing as many as I (practically) can day by day til I get through em all

That sounds pretty exhausting! I think nobody would be bothered if you took it at a slower pace, just so you know.
Pay attention to your mental health . ^.

54 minutes ago, Yumheart said:

That sounds pretty exhausting! I think nobody would be bothered if you took it at a slower pace, just so you know.
Pay attention to your mental health . ^.

Kind-hearted statements like this from good people like you are a huge reason why I've stuck around this community for so damn long, Yumheart. I'll make sure to keep the sessions reasonable in length and spacing!