Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

JAMAL JONES TRILOGY - Old development thread - [Doomkid's 20 Years Mapping Contest]

Hey @Doomkid,

I just watched your stream - thanks for your outstanding contribution :)

Man, now I clearly see how my map resonates with my own playing preferences. You rushed through the level (which is perfectly fine, given the number of maps you have to play, comment on, and judge), while I prefer a more exploratory approach. I think that's why you missed some pretty obvious secrets :) But anyway, even w/o a secret Soulsphere or two one can easily survive since I am usually rather generous with providing players with armor and health (that's because I myself am rather a mediocrely skilled player).

Again, thanks for playing. Now I see how I can improve the gameplay and what is to be fixed (HoM, etc.). I'll post the updated version soon.

Keep up the good work!

Spoiler
On 3/1/2022 at 11:09 AM, A.H. Sankhatayan said:

Warhevil 1.0.zip

Final pre-deadline version. 

DM, Coop, Difficulties and general adujstements implemented. 

Name: Warhevil

Midi: Das Boot (Techno Remix) by U96

Build time: around 135 hours

Slot: Map01 (E1 Sky)

DM: Yes. Linedef trickery is used to close off a certain section of the level for it. Not sure how it will play. 

Coop: Yes

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Tested in: Chocolate Doom, GZDoom, PrBoom+

Editors used: UDB

Inspiration: Works of Ty Halderman and Robert Taylor, specifically the Sacrifice Episode, Central Processing, Galaxia and Equinox.

Bugs: Savegame buffer overflow 

Story: It seems that hellspawn is done shooting guns and hurling fireballs. Twelve hours ago, missile carrying a deadly, radioactive substance, which evaporates during explosion and spreads through the air hit one UAC's secret bases. A team of marines was sent out to locate it's origin. They traced it to an abandoned nuclear facility on an island off the coast of Australia. They managed to get inside and discovered that the demons converted the facility for their needs and use the leftover nuclear material to create these missiles. Soon, we lost contact with all of the marines. Your mission is to get inside on a speedboat, blow the whole facility up and escape.  

New version with various fixes and adjustenments. I'd like some more feedback to see if everything works correctly. 

Warhevil 1.4.zip

11 hours ago, mgr_inz_rafal said:

How can I make my map use a different sky than the blue one? It doesn't fit well with the map theme :(

There will be a mapinfo for more advanced ports, but the 3 default skies for vanilla are blue, grey and orange depending on which episode the map ends up in. Let me know which works best and I’ll be sure it’s in the right spot!

Hey everyone, just a little explanation for the delay: my home internet hasn't been working, and using my mobile phone as a hotspot just isn't reliable enough to upload on (I've tried). This has been the case for about 3 days now, it was spotty and now it's down entirely. I actually DO have a few more parts recorded, I just can't upload the damn things!

Just wanted to let you all know, if 3 or 4 parts go live all at once, that's why. (Ugh)

50 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Hey everyone, just a little explanation for the delay: my home internet hasn't been working, and using my mobile phone as a hotspot just isn't reliable enough to upload on (I've tried). This has been the case for about 3 days now, it was spotty and now it's down entirely. I actually DO have a few more parts recorded, I just can't upload the damn things!

Just wanted to let you all know, if 3 or 4 parts go live all at once, that's why. (Ugh)

Oof, 3 days with no or minimal access internet. Hope it gets back up soon, bud, that's rough. Internet is kinda essential for modern lifestyle.

My hotspot has been a life saver! It just has so little upload bandwidth :(

On 4/30/2022 at 9:08 AM, Doomkid said:

(...) but the 3 default skies for vanilla are blue, grey and orange depending on which episode the map ends up in. Let me know which works best and I’ll be sure it’s in the right spot!

No worries, let it land in any episode you find relevant. Just in case, I modified the level a bit so that the blue key doesn't appear against the sky, so it is now clearly visible regardless of the sky color :)

I'll post an updated map soon.

Damn, looks like I'll need to rework those pesky monsters closets of mine 😩

Sorry about the sucky thumbnails on the last two, I'll be adding real ones in the next day or two. I've been pretty ill this last 24 hours so it's sort of held me back from doing anything productive.. (I'm just full of excuses huh?..)

By the way, the next 2 parts are going live, same Bat time and Bat channel as yesterday. 15 hours from now, in other words!

20 minutes ago, phoo said:

uh oh, looks like I'm up next 😅

You shouldn’t be worried. I’ve been effusive with praise for nearly every map so far. It’s been completely warranted though! Not a bad map in the bunch, I swear..

Hi Folks and the notorious @Doomkid :-)

Here I come with an updated version of my map (Techbase Damaged by Hell v2.zip). 

Changes:

• corrected animated lava texture
  • miscellaneous texture alignment corrections
  • fix a HoM in the window in the outside area
  • removed potential softlock on Coop
  • added some more monsters and traps here and there
  • many visual improvements, especially to the areas that were exceptionally pale
  • improved final battle (it's harder now)
  • make some secrets even more visible
  • taken more care about the automap hygiene (some superfluous lines were still visible)
  • added obligatory Computer Area Map
  • and one more Cyberdemon :)

@Peccatum Mihzamiz just in case you plan to continue your coop streams, please use this version.

Also, since the gameplay of the map has already been streamed I decided to record my run that uncovers 100% of the secrets. This was recorded using Crispy Doom, but the map is still vanilla compatible.

And, last but not least, some Chocolate-based screenshots of the changed areas for improved nostalgia ;)

DOOM06.png.a2dddf4b1c9fd6ce0773313ee9a40e0d.pngDOOM05.png.d240d8bb7f0e8f20d5aa3e4ea56adcf8.pngDOOM04.png.15e5cbe58b275f9d32655f70b221d990.pngDOOM03.png.ddda2460f8111d343fe0247df2cbb079.pngDOOM02.png.3751e3d439f2c2021a6eab5365e3c28b.pngDOOM01.png.ac7e7cd49dfe2beaaf2ab4b179ca3137.pngDOOM00.png.d5eae1cbcee137162a0d832acca9aa6d.png

Its been a long time coming, but I've finally finished putting together a small update for my map. I know Doomkid played this one ages ago, but it wasn't until just last night that I decided to open up the editor to make some changes. I can't even say I was super busy, I just, uh... procrastinated.

Download is here: https://wadhosting.com/Wad/D53A11841C7CA4DDA5FD79EDDDEFB62B77821EBD

This is hopefully the final final version, ready to be packaged into the eventual megawad. There shouldn't be any bugs (unless I managed to break something that was previously working), though I invite anyone to prove me wrong.

The changes:

-Added an early Super Shotty for both Easy and Medium skills.

-Added a late S.Shotty for Hard (in case the player misses the secret).

-Added another small room near the end (containing the above-mentioned Super Shotty).

-Added 2 more secrets.

-Gently increased the amount of ammo available in the first part of the map.

-Made the red key secret somewhat more obvious.

-And probably some other small things that I have now forgotten.

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

You shouldn’t be worried. I’ve been effusive with praise for nearly every map so far. It’s been completely warranted though! Not a bad map in the bunch, I swear..

Thanks for playing! 

I see there's a few areas for improvement in my map. It looks like not all the enemies teleported in, a couple of pinkies and a small amount of hitscanners didn't seem to teleport in, maybe something to do with the hitbox sizes in the areas outside of the map, I'll need to investigate that.

Also, may need to make the area across from the bathroom stand out a little more, behind that door is an armory full of goodies to aid in the big fight after you get the yellow key haha. I'm impressed you did the fight without it :)

Edited by phoo

Thanks again for playing my map Doomkid!

I'll bear in mind that small critque about impassable linedefs, I suppose it is unnecessary for those pillars in the starting room.

I do wonder if perhaps I made the secrets a little too hard to find, but at least you didn't need them!  ^_^

That all said, I'm pretty happy with how the map turned out, thanks to everyone for all the kind words during the premiere!

To the last 8 participants who are waiting for your maps to be played: I am so sorry for this enormous delay. I had planned to have the playthroughs all wrapped up and be working on the video announcing the winners and doing a general re-cap by now.

I figured I should post here with an update, my PC I was using for the playthroughs is not working and I’ve ordered a replacement which is taking a while to arrive.

This has been excruciating(ly boring), I totally understand that - With luck, my replacement will arrive in the next couple days and I’ll be able to bang out those last 8 maps in quick succession. The recap and announcement video might take a further week or so to finalise.

After that, we can spend a few more weeks working on bug fixing and finalising the project, getting it ready-to-play for release to the public!

Just want to keep everyone in the loop!

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Just want to keep everyone in the loop!

Thank you! I hope your hardware arrives soon. It will take some time to get it operational. 

About the REJECT lump issue on my map (Corporate Secret): Could it have something to do with the node builder I’m using (zdbsp)? Maybe I should use another one for this project?

1 hour ago, sectrslayr said:

Thank you! I hope your hardware arrives soon. It will take some time to get it operational. 

About the REJECT lump issue on my map (Corporate Secret): Could it have something to do with the node builder I’m using (zdbsp)? Maybe I should use another one for this project?

For the time being, I'll say this map is fine as-is. I think problems will only come up in its current state if people attempt to both record and play back demos in vanilla Doom2 1.9. I think any other port will record and play back complevel 2 demos just fine, so I'm not all that worried. DosBox did seem to run the map just fine for casual play!

FINALLY able to get back into it with the boss new PC!

Part 23 goes live in 14 hours!

15 hours ago, Doomkid said:

FINALLY able to get back into it with the boss new PC!

Part 23 goes live in 14 hours!

Oh man, the intercept overflow, never really occured to me during testing, and I really believe I tested it almost thousand times.. Really suprised it just had to happen on the stream lol

Overall I'm very glad you liked the map! There are some small visual bugs I missed, I will look into it and figure out that intercep, probably some minor changes too.