Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

JAMAL JONES TRILOGY - Old development thread - [Doomkid's 20 Years Mapping Contest]

@Doomkid Is this against the guidelines? There's a small spot of visplane overflow inside a tiny part of my map, that part is where a few demons are supposed to spawn in. When I go to the VPO's location using IDCLIP, the game crashes (of course), but when I go to the nearest place possible to the VPO, the game doesn't crash. So this may not crash during normal play.
TrvRfsF.jpg

Wow! I am impressed by the submissions so far! And a select few really stand out as truly amazing!

If I manage to make a map before the deadline then I may submit something but the competition is strong! :-)

14 hours ago, Hitboi said:

@Doomkid Is this against the guidelines? There's a small spot of visplane overflow inside a tiny part of my map, that part is where a few demons are supposed to spawn in. When I go to the VPO's location using IDCLIP, the game crashes (of course), but when I go to the nearest place possible to the VPO, the game doesn't crash. So this may not crash during normal play.

This is fine, Hitboi. In may Ray Mohawk 2 Map01, the game will crash if you go past the border fence as well. Basically, if you have to cheat to make the game crash, then I don't mind it at all.

8 hours ago, CBM said:

Wow! I am impressed by the submissions so far! And a select few really stand out as truly amazing!

If I manage to make a map before the deadline then I may submit something but the competition is strong! :-)

Thanks CBM, I'm sure everyone submitting so far is glad to hear that :)

@evil_scientist, I've just played your map in DOSbox and had a blast with it. There were some small HOMs due to drawsegs but I found no crashes or bugs otherwise, beyond some tutti frutti on steps, which I plan to fix in the resource pack itself. Really nice work here!

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

@evil_scientist, I've just played your map in DOSbox and had a blast with it. There were some small HOMs due to drawsegs but I found no crashes or bugs otherwise, beyond some tutti frutti on steps, which I plan to fix in the resource pack itself. Really nice work here!

Awesome!!!!!! Thank you!

14 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I found no crashes or bugs otherwise, beyond some tutti frutti on steps, which I plan to fix in the resource pack itself. Really nice work here!

Oh, is this something that needs to be fixed inside of the resource pack itself? I found some steps using step textures in my map and some of them looked strange in Chocolate Doom, but normal in the editor and in prboom+

Seems to only happen with step textures that have a vertical offset, at least in my case

Hiya everyone, I've been working on a submission for this over the last few days and here it is!

Inspired primarily by the map "Seclusion" from Alien Vendetta (I know it's not a 90s map but the textfile says it was made in early 2000 and that's close enough for me :P), the map is a fairly short, action packed romp through a nukage-filled techbase and the outside areas surrounding it. Features a lot of chaff monsters to tear through with the SSG and Rocket Launcher, some fairly silly traps and a small swimming pool for Toxicacodemons (filled with nukage, just the way they like it).

Download: 1man_finnks_v1.zip

Map Title: Slime Infestation

Build Time: About 10 hours

Tested in: dsda-doom v0.21.0, Crispy Doom 5.8.0, Chocolate Doom 3.0.0, chocorenderlimits

Known Bugs: Two spots in the map can give very small HOMs if you look in specific angles, but it shouldn't affect any fights. The final area may hit the visible sprites limit in some places, though this is fairly unlikely.

Music: MIDI version of Fire Fight track 2 by Janusz Pelc and Michal Doniec (sourced from Alien Vendetta Map04, I can't find the original source anywhere)

Length: Around 15 minutes for a first playthrough.

Difficulty Settings: Fully Implemented, UV has 512 monsters, HMP has 448 and HNTR has 412. Shouldn't be too difficult, I was aiming for around the difficulty of the later maps in Rowdy Rudy 2, though I may still make adjustments to HMP and HNTR if they're a bit much.

Notes: The map is currently on the Map01 slot, though that's just because I was originally building it for the Doom2 E1 sky - any of the skies in the texture pack would work fine with it.

"Emerging from a cavern, Jamal Jones finds himself face-to-face with another techbase filled to the brim with hellspawn. Can he find his way to the switch that will allow him to escape this mess?"

Screenshots: (Taken in Crispy Doom)

Spoiler

DOOM0023.png.015c8b2d0a51c7925d1368c7203b0ab9.png

DOOM0025.png.dd6f3a1d136b502fb24436152b0ae449.png

DOOM0027.png.c51d29b9a4562c8f13a3a6e9bf705adc.png

Thanks for running this contest @Doomkid, I had a ton of fun making this map!

After 12 spotty days of good work and mapper's block, containing copious amounts of ginseng pills and diet cola, I have finished the first build of my map, personally dubbed "The Ironclad Fortress" (as backed up by cwilv20). Featuring a midi rendition of Pantera's "Becoming", as covered by RazTor (cns@post7.tele.dk), this hellish map should take even the most avid of secret hunters, only a couple minutes to beat, as the core tenets of my personal mapping philosophy shine through; simple but not ugly geometry, brief challenging (but not unfair) and punchy combat, and atmosphere to help carry the experience.

Taking up what is, at least for now, the Map21 slot, The Ironclad Fortress can be found here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/5vmpunjnesaczv8/MEMEAIDS_Contest_Entry_January_Build.zip/file

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to @Doomkid for both hosting this contest, and being an inspiration and aid during the development process.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

DOOM19.png.64915cc52836fd61bdd4b770ffdc6b2c.pngDOOM20.png.3e9cc373ba5ba4071f9fbd3141ab0a32.pngDOOM21.png.f25adf8b22b62923d510244afaf0f953.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220109_221308.png.aa294dc45c1a7e139f5a1d5ff84a593f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220109_221421.png.54c07c2d83eb307e87c1bf0c6b8cb4ab.png

Everyone's submissions are looking good so far!  The time has come for me to share my work.  Here's my entry so far.

• Map Name - WASTE EM!

• Music - "Plug Ugly" by Bucket (originally from the 'Plutonia MIDI Pack')

• Mission Briefing - Jones' crusade against the demons leads him to a Toxic Waste Processing facility, where it appears they've made it their home the only way they know how.....by killing everyone, trashing the place & making a big mess!  Your mission objective is clear........WASTE EM!

• Known Issues - There seems to be some minor HOMs in the red brick corridor in Chocolate Doom, I assume it's a draw segs overflow since the problem doesn't occur in Crispy Doom, PrBoom Plus or GZDoom.

• Click HERE for the download (WadHosting)

I have made some adjustments for all difficulties & added additional ammo & monsters for co-op.  Hope you all enjoy the map!

Screenshots:

rQygrP.jpg

rQytPi.jpg

rQyEM2.jpg

rQyQbz.jpg

6 hours ago, MEMEAIDS said:

After 12 spotty days of good work and mapper's block, containing copious amounts of ginseng pills and diet cola, I have finished the first build of my map, personally dubbed "The Ironclad Fortress" (as backed up by cwilv20). Featuring a midi rendition of Pantera's "Becoming", as covered by RazTor (cns@post7.tele.dk), this hellish map should take even the most avid of secret hunters, only a couple minutes to beat, as the core tenets of my personal mapping philosophy shine through; simple but not ugly geometry, brief challenging (but not unfair) and punchy combat, and atmosphere to help carry the experience.

Taking up what is, at least for now, the Map21 slot, The Ironclad Fortress can be found here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/5vmpunjnesaczv8/MEMEAIDS_Contest_Entry_January_Build.zip/file

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to @Doomkid for both hosting this contest, and being an inspiration and aid during the development process.

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

DOOM19.png.64915cc52836fd61bdd4b770ffdc6b2c.pngDOOM20.png.3e9cc373ba5ba4071f9fbd3141ab0a32.pngDOOM21.png.f25adf8b22b62923d510244afaf0f953.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220109_221308.png.aa294dc45c1a7e139f5a1d5ff84a593f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220109_221421.png.54c07c2d83eb307e87c1bf0c6b8cb4ab.png

3 hours ago, Jastrzab Trzeci said:

Gee, I am getting impatient when it comes to finishing my map! I hope that I will get it done soon!

Same here! I wish I had a little more free time. I have 2 main areas left and then I'm done. I expect the map to take around 15 mins of playtime to complete.

Alrighty so I've done a V3 of my map, did a couple things including:

Spoiler

-Fixed some texturing issues.

-Spider Mastermind ambush has now been changed a bit.

-Overall Fixed some lighting issues.

-Added a small secret in the map, and made a couple of decorations.

https://wadhosting.com/Wad/FF79C99B111D358B5826968BB993A13C605FF940

Gee, I am getting impatient when it comes to finishing my map! I hope that I will get it done soon!

Same here! I wish I had a little more free time. I have 2 main areas left and then I'm done. I expect the map to take around 15 mins of playtime to complete.

I hope you two get to complete your own maps, I like to see what people do for contests and what I could probably learn from.

Edited by LGmaire

14 minutes ago, LGmaire said:

Alrighty so I've done a V3 of my map, did a couple things including:

Reveal hidden contents

-Fixed some texturing issues.

-Spider Mastermind ambush has now been changed a bit.

-Overall Fixed some lighting issues.

-Added a small secret in the map, and made a couple of decorations.

https://wadhosting.com/Wad/332847B69FED7787D0156995266A6556F51AB7C4

I hope you two get to complete your own maps, I like to see what people do for contests and what I could probably learn from.

I'm excited to play the completed wad when all the maps have been submitted!

@finnks13, @MEMEAIDS and @Rymante, I've played all 3 of your maps to completion in vanilla Doom. I'm so impressed, and let me just say.. judging this contest is going to be hard. Of the 9 submissions I've received so far, 8 met the guidelines perfectly, and all 9 have been very fun to play and are well-crafted in general.

This is gonna be tough.. But damn, this wad is kick-ass and very fun so far! Thanks for submitting such quality, everyone.

Nearly done with my map! It finally has an exit and can be completed from start to finish, but there's still some stuff I want to tweak before submitting it. I'd also like to squeeze some more detail in if I can. I've been checking UDB's Visplane Explorer regularly, and so far its only reported a few minor drawseg overflows, so I figure I'm good for it.

Also, is it cheesy to put your signature in a map? I've put mine in a secret, so it's out of the way, but still I wonder. :)

2 hours ago, Blexor said:

Also, is it cheesy to put your signature in a map? I've put mine in a secret, so it's out of the way, but still I wonder. :)

This is totally fine. So if you want, you can add it on your map.

I'm having a similar problem to that tutti-frutti thing, but this time it's for whenever I use the steps texture. It turns the texture into this scuffed version of one of the light flats. What in Gosh's earth causes this?

474928509_DOOM2_HellonEarth-ChocolateDoom3.0.120_01_20221_38_13AM.png.098335009900faad24b96569918869cd.png

More WIP progress screenshots.

Finally decided to use spoiler tags because it's getting somewhat large (maybe?)

Spoiler

doom05.png.c53d9c584f31d5e84361bcedbdfba995.png

doom06.png.5e0dc53efbe36c113e60e7f486ddeab9.png

Have a good chunk of my submission complete. Took some inspiration from other wads like Dystopia 3 and Icarus for this map.

JqN5Pg5.png

dFnee4d.png

Y2uA5oe.png

uIsvSpw.png

5 hours ago, Osmosis Bones said:

I'm having a similar problem to that tutti-frutti thing, but this time it's for whenever I use the steps texture. It turns the texture into this scuffed version of one of the light flats. What in Gosh's earth causes this?

This is because there's also texture patches called STEP1 and STEP2, so the game is trying to place those on the floor rather than the actual flats. Since the patches (for walls) aren't 64x64 like a FLAT wants to be, it comes out garbled.

To get around this annoying bug, I've included variants called GREP1 and GREP2, as well as STEPT and STEPZ (iirc). Try using any of those 4 variants to avoid the tutti-frutti. I'll have to go through a few of the other submissions and fix this as well, since they also use those flats. Thankfully it's easy to replace them all by pressing F3 in Doom Builder!

@Vladguy and @Argent Agent, excellent looking screenshots there from both of you - very eager to try your maps out whenever they're ready. Also, @valkiriforce, I think that's a great suggestion - I actually meant to have it included already, a la Rowdy Rudy 2. I'll have it added to the res pack soon.

3 hours ago, Argent Agent said:

Have a good chunk of my submission complete. Took some inspiration from other wads like Dystopia 3 and Icarus for this map.

JqN5Pg5.png

dFnee4d.png

Y2uA5oe.png

uIsvSpw.png

Looks awesome!

I think I'm ready to post my map here - of course there are bound to be some changes certainly with the next updated resource, but it's practically finished. I also added a deathmatch area as bonus. Hopefully everything works just fine!

>>>DOWNLOAD<<<

Spoiler

Map name: The Escapist

Music: Galaxy from Mark Klem

Mission briefing: You have landed in a fortified zone connected to several key locations; the warehouse, a processing plant and an old lookout tower. You have three main objectives to complete:

-Retrieve the three main database cards

-Shut down the enemy's devil furnace

-Make radio contact with Bobby

The gold database card is under special security, and cannot be obtained unless you first shut down the furnace! Bobby will be parked outside waiting for you when you've completed your objectives - you can hop into his truck and let him know you've made it using the radio. If you're lucky, you can also locate a couple of special weapons in the headquarters and put them to good use! Do a good job and wipe 'em out, Jones!

yOXTmdc.png

On 1/19/2022 at 6:59 AM, Blexor said:

If anything, author signatures are a 90's staple. Sometimes they are actually a part of the level you can walk around, that's always hilarious. See TOWER OF DEATH v1.2 or amanda.wad (or whatever it's called).

Here's my entry. To be honest, it's not my best work. I was suffering from mapper's block, so I had a hard time coming up with interesting encounters. I just hope people think it's fun to play.

Map Title: Mucopurulent Mystery

Build Time: I can't remember. A few hours, I guess?

Tested in: Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, and DSDA-Doom

Music: "Nuisances Unknown" by Doomkid

Length: About 5 minutes

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/wwzgl3wpw6dpeau/EM_DOOMKID_CONTEST_V01.wad/file

Screenshots:

Spoiler

dDWqdQ8.png

IQH73ca.png

02qKscd.png