Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

JAMAL JONES TRILOGY - Old development thread - [Doomkid's 20 Years Mapping Contest]

On 1/19/2022 at 2:24 AM, Doomkid said:

I like sigs in maps personally, Blexor!

7 hours ago, A.H. Sankhatayan said:

If anything, author signatures are a 90's staple. Sometimes they are actually a part of the level you can walk around, that's always hilarious. See TOWER OF DEATH v1.2 or amanda.wad (or whatever it's called).

Alright, the siggy stays then. :)

I'm just about ready to submit my map, but there's one last issue I'm experiencing that's got me scratching my head. I've had this happen in other maps I've tested, too, and I've no clue what causes it. Basically, there will be a strip of some random texture on a wall or ledge that will bleed on down through the floor. I've got a picture here of the area where this is happening:

Spoiler

doom01.png.28c85631f1a9e283a2cd57bbf550076f.png

I'm willing to accept that that there's some rookie mistake that I'm making, but if anyone knows how I might go about fixing this, I would be much appreciative.

Otherwise, I'm pleased to say that the map runs fine on Chocolate Doom, without any crashes or overflows that I could find. A bit hard on the eyes, though. :)

3 hours ago, Blexor said:

I'm just about ready to submit my map, but there's one last issue I'm experiencing that's got me scratching my head. I've had this happen in other maps I've tested, too, and I've no clue what causes it. Basically, there will be a strip of some random texture on a wall or ledge that will bleed on down through the floor. I've got a picture here of the area where this is happening:

Hide contents

doom01.png.28c85631f1a9e283a2cd57bbf550076f.png

I'm willing to accept that that there's some rookie mistake that I'm making, but if anyone knows how I might go about fixing this, I would be much appreciative.

Otherwise, I'm pleased to say that the map runs fine on Chocolate Doom, without any crashes or overflows that I could find. A bit hard on the eyes, though. :)

Could it be a slime trail? https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Slime_trail

19 hours ago, Engired said:

Could it be a slime trail? https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Slime_trail

Sounds about right. It's all good, though, adding a couple extra gubbins to the wall fixed it.

Finally ready to submit! The wad is hosted here: https://wadhosting.com/Wad/3A370438A97EB412A8687B64B16599D15E8D8080

Name: Calling this one "Caustic Canyon", which definitely just sounds like the name of a Donkey Kong Country level, but that's what I'm going with.

Build Time: A little over 2 weeks. Somewhere in the vicinity of 30-40 hours if I had to guess.

Music: Is "Future Military Conquests" from Duke 3D. Thanks again to whoever pointed me in the direction of the various MIDI-artist hosting sites, but in the end I just pulled this one straight out of Alien Vendetta, since it fit the mood I was going for so well.

Tested With: GZDoom, PrBoom+, Chocolate Doom (both regular and with ChocoRenderLimits)

Difficulty Settings: Aye.

Time to Complete: 15-20 minutes.

Scrambled or Fried: Fried. Though I do like scrambled...

Some screenshots for your consideration:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220121_214439.png.903ca71a7b2972b3fb24fdcedb20c1f3.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220121_214557.png.7e4942528fb6e181cc6d917b71d53658.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220121_215616.png.8c4edc0367e456d7ad0f0bcaf514d547.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220121_215835.png.2fda1109bee0b876c3715bd37d2788b6.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220121_220528.png.24583d1b44570b48b1826fd668893202.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220121_220737.png.66ae330bff7687fb36a9231e289fb6c8.png

I would love any feedback that anyone is willing to give on this one. I personally think my combat designing skills could use some work, so advice in that regard would be swell. Otherwise, informing me of any bugs or oddities I missed would be very helpful, as well. Still have plenty of time to tune this guy up before the deadline, after all.

I introduce...

Map Name: Devilish Belly.
Music Used: REQ-JD10 by Jeremy Doyle (from TNT: Revilution).
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Tested With: Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, DSDA-Doom, GZDoom.
Build Time: Less than a week; a few days.
Average Play Time: 2-4 minutes.
Comment: This is a very short and simple map, I don't have enough time to extend this before the deadline. Maybe I should release a more complete version as a standalone after the deadline. There's a signature for Doomkid!

Hitboi-JamalJones (link through Mediafire).

Screenshot:

Spoiler

Jykhsv9.png

Edited by Hitboi

Working on the second to last big area for my level, close to getting done! The goal is to be completed some time in the next few days. :)
 jamal.jpg.1c37419ec6046f7432ebde19de747140.jpg

~BLOOD FOZZLE~

Tested in GZdoom and Chocolate Doom (visplane issues should only occur during NOCLIP)

Should be complete, barring difficulty tweaks if others test this and if someone finds an angle that VISPLANE still occurs... or any other minor fixes.

It used the MIDI track 'Sinister' (named D_RUNNIN for it's MAP01 slot for now)... as "It's VERY 'DOOM 1'." :D
Built in one day... today!!!!

shadesJamal1.png.3627de471fa0977e619582b878cc71fb.pngshadesJamal2.png.5b365d22d2040c35e2134cdf08f64dde.png

shadesJamal3.png

shadesJamal4.png

shadesJamal5.png

shadesJamal.zip

Edited by ShadesMaster

12 hours ago, ShadesMaster said:

~BLOOD FOZZLE~

Tested in GZdoom and Chocolate Doom (visplane issues should only occur during NOCLIP)

Should be complete, barring difficulty tweaks if others test this and if someone finds an angle that VISPLANE still occurs... or any other minor fixes.

It used the MIDI track 'Sinister' (named D_RUNNIN for it's MAP01 slot for now)... as "It's VERY 'DOOM 1'." :D
Built in one day... today!!!!

Played on LZDoom, HMP difficulty.

I really liked the first 75% of the map - Very cool moody hell-infested techbase; and enjoyed the last 25% :)

The part with the bridge and the Cyberdemon was a bit annoying. Maybe I should have utilized the crusher behind the demon? Anyway, the bridge is easy to fall off of, and it's easy to get stuck in the two ditches by its sides, possibly because of the blocking decorations?

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220124_162625.png.0e3d0f077c7e2459fc9ea4e23d488156.png

The last big fight was too chaotic and dense for my taste, and felt like a bit of a spike in difficulty, but keyword: to my taste :) 

I didn't find any bugs or texture issues.

Found the secrets, their content REALLY helped me out when dealing with combat.

Well done!

Yes, I can always tweak the ending by reducing the number of Fire Cacos - I use them in conjunction with limited space for tough as nails results. (To quote Civvie - "What a difference one cacodemon makes!")

Perhaps I can tweak the cyberdemon battle a tad, too - tho it's designed to be both "shoot it until it dies" beatable AND a puzzle. But I can alter any blocking decorations around the bridge, as it's meant to be easily escapable.

45 minutes ago, ShadesMaster said:

Perhaps I can tweak the cyberdemon battle a tad, too - tho it's designed to be both "shoot it until it dies" beatable AND a puzzle. But I can alter any blocking decorations around the bridge, as it's meant to be easily escapable.

Let's wait for some other playtesters too, I'm sure they will have a different perspective :D

46 minutes ago, ShadesMaster said:

Yes, I can always tweak the ending by reducing the number of Fire Cacos - I use them in conjunction with limited space for tough as nails results. (To quote Civvie - "What a difference one cacodemon makes!")

Maybe leave it like this for UV, but adjust the numbers for lower difficulty?

I also enjoyed this area: 

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220124_161051.png.4caac3b78d4c120117ed8e6298839d35.png

How the monsters can shoot at you from both the front and the right. 

Was the monster block (or high ledge) intentional? The monsters cannot come out from the crescent-shaped room.

I am working on my entry, having lots of fun so far with new monsters and the resource pack in general. I'm struggling a bit with finding time so I'm aiming for a rather short map. Also, played a couple of entries and, wow!, the maps are really high quality! Looking forward to play them all when I find time.

I have one question regarding the resource pack: it contains textures LAVFALL1 through LAVFALL4. It looks like the intention is so that they animate - but they don't - neither in Crispy/Chocolate nor in GZDoom. I guess animated texture names are hardcoded in vanilla but not sure whether DEHACKED can change that or not. Just mentioning that to check whether that was intentional.

Was the monster block (or high ledge) intentional? The monsters cannot come out from the crescent-shaped room.

Yes, but I may change it so that both entrances are doors activated by a simple switch. The blocking lines were done to keep the initial monsters in the room from flooding into where you screenshoted too soon, upon first entry.

Maybe leave it like this for UV, but adjust the numbers for lower difficulty?

The final arena has two doors that open, each with 1 firecaco (easy), 2 (normal) and 3 (hard). I could make it so it's 0, 1 and 2 each instead.

5 hours ago, jacnowak said:

I have one question regarding the resource pack: it contains textures LAVFALL1 through LAVFALL4. It looks like the intention is so that they animate - but they don't - neither in Crispy/Chocolate nor in GZDoom. I guess animated texture names are hardcoded in vanilla but not sure whether DEHACKED can change that or not. Just mentioning that to check whether that was intentional.

Sorry (whoops) this is a mistake on my part lol. LAVFALL1-4 were only meant to be patches, but out of sheer habit I added them as textures too. They actually animate as DBRAIN1-4.

I might remove them from the texture pack later today when I post the minor update containing the TyWheel texture and missing Fan texture. Thanks a bunch for reminding me about this and sorry if it caused a headache!

Some screenshots of my Jamal Jones map
Not sure if we were supposed to put multiplayer stuff but I did add other difficulty placing

Pretty short, I had a lot of fun with the new monsters. I have never worked with custom monsters besides Mr.X.
The map slot is 12 because I wanted to use the E2 sky.

The midi is from Hell Revealed II OST - 11 "Short Circuit"

EdensRiver.zip

jj2.png

jj1.png

Edited by Skronkidonk

Just wondering, how important is it to stay under the sprite limit?  I have a section in my map that is supposed to trigger a lot of infighting, that does cause some minor sprite flicker.  I could reduce the enemy count if needed but considering the fight is mostly trying to slip by in a large open space courtyard I don't know if it's a big issue.  Currently I am not committed to that level portion so I can revise the section as well.

8 hours ago, Skronkidonk said:

Not sure if we were supposed to put multiplayer stuff but I did add other difficulty placing

Pretty short, I had a lot of fun with the new monsters. I have never worked with custom monsters besides Mr.X.

Short but sweet!

I played in LZDoom, on HMP difficulty.

I liked the bronze base aesthetic, lots of browns, but with enough other colors to make it interesting. I had fun with the map, it fits my Doom skills :)

The last section (single Baron behind the yellow door + plasma guys) was a bit underwhelming, a bit of a drop in difficulty after the bunch of hitscanners before them. Maybe release the kraken a caco as well or something else to add challenge?

Possible texture alignment issues on the pillars?

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220125_110019.png.834e3b427c890cc1827abe369eb130cc.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220125_110205.png.5cd50ab6e2b7717c04255310a0942f2f.png

6 hours ago, Astronomical said:

Just wondering, how important is it to stay under the sprite limit?  I have a section in my map that is supposed to trigger a lot of infighting, that does cause some minor sprite flicker.  I could reduce the enemy count if needed but considering the fight is mostly trying to slip by in a large open space courtyard I don't know if it's a big issue.  Currently I am not committed to that level portion so I can revise the section as well.

Don’t worry about that absurdly low sprite limit, As long as it runs (and isn’t outright unplayable) in vanilla, that’s totally fine!

12 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Don’t worry about that absurdly low sprite limit, As long as it runs (and isn’t outright unplayable) in vanilla, that’s totally fine! 

Thanks! Map should be finished soon, if not within the next 24 hours, before the 31st.

image.png.8cf9fe14d65a4992a0811a5441c52e98.pngSome work in progress stuff, this is the starting area of the map. Hope this can be fine (has been tested on Choc. Doom)

17 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Sorry (whoops) this is a mistake on my part lol. LAVFALL1-4 were only meant to be patches, but out of sheer habit I added them as textures too. They actually animate as DBRAIN1-4.

I might remove them from the texture pack later today when I post the minor update containing the TyWheel texture and missing Fan texture. Thanks a bunch for reminding me about this and sorry if it caused a headache!

Yeah, they indeed animate as DBRAIN1-4 so I can keep lava falls in my level :)

No problem at all, thanks for your help!

Hey all, I have been working a little more on Pollution Plant, bringing it to version 3. 

While my silver door entrance, E1M1 windows&courtyard reference and lift exit felt quite classic to me, I still felt like I wanted to do something a little different and extend the map slightly. I have therefore created a few city themed areas and connected the map to them! Some are accessible, others (literally) window dressing. The difficulty and playtime remains largely the same despite this. I hope you enjoy!

Version 3 Changelog:

Spoiler

- Texture changes/adjustments in general
- Extended beginning and exit of map (playtime of map largely remains the same)
- The left side of the map is now connected to city/streets themed areas
- Very minor enemy roster shuffle in certain areas (difficulty of map remains the same)
- Added a signature

Download: https://wadhosting.com/Wad/C4B75C29270AAF5B79B43574F4B0A120298B5ABD

Here's my contribution ^ .^

A pretty hectic burnt-out mining facility, half run n gun, half slaughter light.
Would probably fit comfortably into a third episode.

Name: Death Leap
Map slot: 21
Music: "The Dark Tower" from David Wise, sequenced by Stockman
Known bugs: The final area suffers quite severely from sprite flickering. It doesn't affect the fight that much from what I've heard / tested, but it's definitely enough to be noticeable :(
Screenies:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220126_000903.jpg.b4070ff7c2e3d913e0678163e363890b.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20220126_000958.jpg.78d19c1252fc928339a0da363c5fce15.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20220125_203056.jpg.a254c376cdb60b4000becf636af0bcba.jpg

Link to the wad:
~ outdated version, check out my newest post instead ~

Edited by Yumheart

On 1/24/2022 at 7:04 PM, Skronkidonk said:

The midi is from Hell Revealed II OST - 11 "Short Circuit"

EdensRiver.zip

jj2.png

jj1.png

this a real hitter for real

Make sure to include a public restroom in your map, need to make use of the potty texture!

toilet.jpg.95e25b5476247a0d6b9d02782c93cf2c.jpg

Not being able to comment specifically on these maps (beyond bug reporting and general remarks ofc) is honestly burning my ass at this point, these maps are literally "remarkable" in that I feel like I'll have plenty to comment on while doing the playthroughs and judging!

That last few submissions I haven't yet had time to take in properly, beyond making sure they booted, but I am adoring what I'm seeing so far.. The judging process is gonna be hard as hell 😃

At long last, I present...

Name: Starflippers Inc.

Tested with: Chocolate Doom and Zandronum

Music: Path of Destruction by Mark Klem

Difficulty settings: yes

Average playtime: 9-10 minutes

Build time: way too long

Deathmatch: hell fricken yeah

Hotel: Trivago

this is actually the first wad I've made for the general public, soooo... don't expect anything too crazy

download here

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220126_151530.png.eedfe67b5d70ea12c4c83b1171b1d39e.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220126_151623.png.876414067c0e426569566f16026e8ab6.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220126_151741.png.7a1b723dd92555f352a85117fc122cac.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220126_151906.png.fade94295445ab6a0eddf0b560502b3e.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220126_151419.png

Edited by Osmosis Bones