Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

JAMAL JONES TRILOGY - Old development thread - [Doomkid's 20 Years Mapping Contest]

Just want to shout out the music choices on display in this wad so far. Some Mark Klem here, some HR2 there, a tasteful reprise of a Doom 1 ambient track, some Guilty Gear goodness sprinkled in... You guys have taste.

aaaaAAAaaaa, I forgot to fix a critical bug in my maps first release, where monsters teleport in from the start. It should be fixed now.

8 hours ago, Cammy said:

Just want to shout out the music choices on display in this wad so far. Some Mark Klem here, some HR2 there, a tasteful reprise of a Doom 1 ambient track, some Guilty Gear goodness sprinkled in... You guys have taste.

You just can't beat the HR2 soundtrack. Really good stuff in there. And Mark Klem has graced so many wads with his music, I absolutely love his tracks.

First time entering a contest, so excited! ^^

This is a city / Town themed map with a shopping mall motif in mind.

You can play this map in multple ways, have fun experimenting ; )

Wad name: Shopping Spree

Map slot: 01

Theme: City / Town

Music: Lu Bu's Theme - Dynasty Warriors 3 (found on vgmusic.com)

Tested with: GZDOOM & Zandronum (Both on Doom Strict)
Took around 4-5 minutes to beat (not speedrunning or anything)
No Errors found with Visplane Explorer.

Build Time: Around 8-12 hours (I didn't really count lol)

Spoiler

Noticed some texturing errors while making these screenshots. I have already fixed them : )
ShoppingSpree1.png.6aa89c0e5ffeb7f4b25b82aa0ab7f420.pngShoppingSpree2.png.38b4c88e9ec36bf657c02884d7fd3b93.pngShoppingSpree3.png.38be55b661754feffdc8fb5fa517e119.png

Download

20 hours ago, Majipantsu said:

Wad name: Shopping Spree

Map slot: 01

Theme: City / Town

Music: Lu Bu's Theme - Dynasty Warriors 3 (found on vgmusic.com)

Played this in LZDoom on HMP difficulty.

The map really feels like a Shopping Spree, because there is a LOT of ammo and health scattered around. Maybe even a bit too much? Dunno.

The blocky minimalist city works great, I think. Any more detail would probably break it, but this way it sets a good "brutalist" backdrop for the action. 

I liked the creative use of decorations (FIREBLU as a malfunctioning screen - great choice) in this area:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220127_195456.png.87754320dd723c2c167c138a9cf04129.png

But also I kinda felt that it was a missed opportunity that there are no secrets or hidden areas which are reachable only by walking atop of the shelves!

I "cheesed" the last fight by running straight into the other room (where the Archie lives), dealing with the Archvile first, and then just picking off everybody else who came through the narrow doorway. Maybe a couple more monster in that room, set to ambush, could make life a bit harder? 

Granted, I died twice in the hedgemaze before coming up with this solution.

Also, the last "secret" right before the exit cracked me up :D Great piece of Doom humor.

On 1/26/2022 at 6:31 AM, Osmosis Bones said:

Name: Starflippers Inc.

Tested with: Chocolate Doom and Zandronum

Music: Path of Destruction by Mark Klem

Difficulty settings: yes

Average playtime: 9-10 minutes

Build time: way too long

Deathmatch: hell fricken yeah

Hotel: Trivago

this is actually the first wad I've made for the general public, soooo... don't expect anything too crazy

I recorded a demo (FDA) of your map (attached).

Played on HMP, unfortunately I died on my way to the red key when having 205 kills out of 233, so haven't completed the map but publishing it anyway as it's 90% complete.

In order to run it:

crispy-doom -file starflippers.wad 1manv3.wad -playdemo starflippers_fda -skill 3

I recorded in Crispy Doom but I think that crispy records demos in vanilla format so it should work with PrBoom+, Chocolate, and other ports that support vanilla demos (probably not in Zandronum though).

starflippers_fda.zip

I've been playing through the submissions for this contest recently, and I have to say that I'm very impressed! I thought that I might jot down my thoughts on each and post them here as a bit of fun. Obviously, these are just the opinions of one guy--a guy who's not even that great at Doom--so make of them what you will. I tried to keep them concise, so that I didn't spend too much time yammering on about any one submission.

"To the Site" (Rycuz)

A tidy little map. I expected the train section to be longer, but that adjoining station is handsome and has some nice details. I'm a 'fan' of that ventilation system, personally (You're right, that was uncalled for). This would be right at home as a Map 1.

"Derelict Row" (Orignamyde)

Enemies in this map seem to have an uncanny ability to sneak up behind you. Maybe it's just me? It's easy to see why this one doesn't work in vanilla, but damn if it's not a cool-looking map. I like how you can kind of get a sense of what the base looked like before it started to fall apart. Great stuff.

"Ezekiel 25:17" (MtPain27)

Definitely the most difficult one so far; That last arena shredded me on UV. Not sure what's going on with the decor. It's like a processing plant in Hell? I guess it's not important. That music's cool, though. Sounds a bit like a surfer jam at times. Do I dare suggest that this would be good... as a Map 27?

"Pollution Plant" (Glikkzy)

Played both the second release and the update on the 25th. Love the new city areas! The outdoor slime cavern may be brief, but I honestly think it's better designed than my own level. Blowing up enemies with barrels is never not fun, and I applaud any (okay, most) levels that encourage it.

"Future Hometown" (LGmaire)

The End for You is right! Yeow, that start. I know you said difficulty settings were coming, but as a Doom Doofus, I'd strongly recommend them. I couldn't beat this on anything other than Easy. Certainly got your money's worth out of those Rowdy Rudy ending textures, though. Caught me by surprise a couple of times.

"Packin' Heat" (evil_scientist)

Compact and efficiently-spaced map, here. I like the MIDI; It gives the map a kind of 'calm before the storm' vibe. Rightly so, perhaps, as the relatively low-end monsters and weapons peg this as another early-WAD level. Supplies feel a little light, but at the same time I thought that backpack was overkill. Make of that what you will, I suppose.

"Slime Infestation" (finnks13)

Boy, this map sure can go from 0 to 100. It's packed to the gills with big ambushes, and while it certainly made me sweat, it still manages to feel pretty balanced and fair. Impressive stuff, I approve. The overturned vehicles are a nice touch, and in response to that one secret: No.

I plan to do this again once I get through more of the submissions, but since it took me several days just to get this far, I figured I'd simply post what I had. Can't wait to see the rest!

Made an update to my submission.

ShoppingSpreeV1-2.zip

Thank you @evil_scientist for the fantastic feedback.

I have reduced some of the goodies you can find in some areas.

I have also reworked some of the areas and added an extra secret.

Finally added Deathmatch & multiplayer spawns to prevent some crashes.

Hope you guys enjoy this one :)

2 hours ago, Blexor said:

"Future Hometown" (LGmaire)

The End for You is right! Yeow, that start. I know you said difficulty settings were coming, but as a Doom Doofus, I'd strongly recommend them. I couldn't beat this on anything other than Easy.

Apologies for not including them right away, I was really tired when finishing the layout already. And I kinda wanted it out already after a week of working on the map. I promise I will include them in the new version that I will upload soon once I finish adding the difficulty options.

Certainly got your money's worth out of those Rowdy Rudy ending textures, though. Caught me by surprise a couple of times.

Glad you liked them, I thought they added something more to the whole "abstract" aesthetic of the map, the start of it especially.

Hey peoples, just wanted to post this update of the resource pack!

SLIGHT UPDATE: https://doomshack.org/uploads/1ManV4.zip

There's a small handful of new textures and a few oddities were fixed up, the weird broken palette on the Blind Pinkies is now fixed, and a few other fairly minor things.

I've been compiling all submissions into a single wad. Basically the plan is to separate any accidentally-non-vanilla maps into a bonus wad, with the addition of a map by me (just so those maps don't get lonely since there's only a couple). Should I post this compiled version as well? I guess it might make life easier for people who want to play what's been submitted so far, but I'll see what others think before I go ahead and do it.

I also want to thank Blexor for doing what I cannot til I start streaming my playthrus of these! I know that feedback will be super helpful to everyone so it's awesome to see.

@ShadesMaster and @CBM, I want to mention to both of you that I got VPO crashes while playing in DosBox. The mapping is great, I just wanted to let you both know of those bugs! (Oh also, CBM, there's a couple poles at the ends of fences/barries in your map that have this issue going on in vanilla, it's hard to explain so hopefully the wiki does a better job lol. Check out the screenshots of R.wad at the right of the page)

EDIT: Oh also, @Origamyde, I just wanted to let you know that all people who accidentally submit non-vanilla maps are absolutely allowed to have another try at it. I know the first one not ending up vanilla was probably a bummer, but I just wanted to let you know in case the urge struck. I'm real happy to have your submission as a part of this project either way!

EDIT AGAIN WTF: @evil_scientist, do feel free to use any of these assets however you like. Meant to say this earlier..

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I've been compiling all submissions into a single wad. Basically the plan is to separate any accidentally-non-vanilla maps into a bonus wad, with the addition of a map by me (just so those maps don't get lonely since there's only a couple). Should I post this compiled version as well? I guess it might make life easier for people who want to play what's been submitted so far, but I'll see what others think before I go ahead and do it.

I think you should just edit it in with the first post you made for the thread really.

Also finally updated the thing: https://wadhosting.com/Wad/FF79C99B111D358B5826968BB993A13C605FF940

Changes are down here with the spoilers:

Spoiler

-Added some decorations that no one cares about lmao

-Fixed some texture issues.

-Added Potty (Don't ask)

-Added Difficulty settings. (Thank the lord)

On 1/26/2022 at 3:01 AM, Cammy said:

Apologies for the late response but thanks, I apreciate that people liked the music I used here. And I don't even play any Guilty Gear games! It's just another one of those "Games that I only know of because of the soundtrack" for me lol.

It really feels like the HR2 soundtrack has been used left to right recently, just everywhere sometimes, but I can't blame anyone who uses tracks from that megawad, music's the best thing about it!

Now if you excuse me, I shall go make a map with the one man texture pack where all of the textures are just POTTY. Because I'm tired.

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

EDIT AGAIN WTF: @evil_scientist, do feel free to use any of these assets however you like. Meant to say this earlier..

Thanks!!!!

14 hours ago, Blexor said:

"Packin' Heat" (evil_scientist)

Compact and efficiently-spaced map, here. I like the MIDI; It gives the map a kind of 'calm before the storm' vibe. Rightly so, perhaps, as the relatively low-end monsters and weapons peg this as another early-WAD level. Supplies feel a little light, but at the same time I thought that backpack was overkill. Make of that what you will, I suppose.

Thanks for testing! I'm glad you liked the MIDI.

I will think about the supply situation :)

With the new textures being released it made me wanna give my level a bit of a makeover. (if bossman is cool with that)

Not only does it look a little prettier, I also added another secret just for the heck of it.

Aside from that, nothing much has changed.

download

Also... because I'm such a nice guy I'll show you where all the secrets are (how to actually get to them is for you to find out).

Spoiler

secret1.PNG.78a78e4efed87eb852642ce6e0312f43.PNGsecret2.PNG.d3a7b194458c8ce93381ec70e2702e9e.PNGsecret3.PNG.c331caffd9e38e05c8fd21f4c01792dd.PNGsecret4.PNG.e3bff000168097fae23f39002631cb40.PNG

Hi there @Doomkid, I just ran into the same issue we had on Ray Mohawk 2 :p. I was using some of the midtextures and in the new resource pack they have been replaced by textures that are much taller. 

Version 1.3: Beautiful working vanilla bridges:
peccascreen2.png

Version 1.4: A slightly more abstract player experience :p
peccascreen3.png

Would it be possible to add the original 16 pixels tall Step4, Steptop and Steplad1 textures to an updated resource pack?

22 hours ago, LGmaire said:

Apologies for not including them right away, I was really tired when finishing the layout already. And I kinda wanted it out already after a week of working on the map. I promise I will include them in the new version that I will upload soon once I finish adding the difficulty options.

I absolutely understand the feeling, so no worries. I also realize that had I been smart, I probably would've started using saves after the first few failed attempts. That said, it is a trickier map, so gentler settings for folks with fumbling fingers like mine is surely a plus. I'll be sure to check out that updated version soon.

17 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I also want to thank Blexor for doing what I cannot til I start streaming my playthrus of these! I know that feedback will be super helpful to everyone so it's awesome to see.

I was half-worried I was being a nuisance, making a big ol' post like that. I suppose that's another reason why I kept my thoughts short, come to think of it. Buy hey! If it's no problem and it helps people to improve their maps, then I'm pleased to be of assistance.

lol holy fuck, I’m sorry to do this to you yet again, Peccatum! Your description of the “after” screenshot cracked me the hell up.. I made this change to avoid tutti frutti on stairs, once again forgetting about their use on bridges. I’ll get short versions added back in by tomorrow. (How embarrassing!)

Cool edits there by the way, Osmosis Bones!

I was half-worried I was being a nuisance, making a big ol' post like that. I suppose that's another reason why I kept my thoughts short, come to think of it. Buy hey! If it's no problem and it helps people to improve their maps, then I'm pleased to be of assistance.

You could just spoiler all of it to make be short unless someone clicks on the spoiler tag, and also for the people that don't wanna see the maps or thoughts about them so they can play maps blind.

Also it's okay, I don't find it annoying or a nuisance myself, as a somewhat novice mapper opinions and stuff like that would help me improve. So I accept any kind of critisism, no matter how long it is.

I managed to make a map for this :)

Here is my submission:

https://doomshack.org/uploads/damneddam.wad

Name: Damned Dam

Music: Score One for the Bolthouse by LazyGecko & CammyBanana from .MID the way id did ( https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/music/midtwid2 )

Map currently lives in MAP01 slot.

I tested it mostly with Crispy Doom but played around in Chocorenderlimits and visplanes were well below the limit.

Screenshot of the starting area:

Spoiler

damneddam.png.a461d5ab5fea5839a16fb6958a0d7ee2.png

Have fun!

On 1/29/2022 at 3:17 AM, Doomkid said:

EDIT: Oh also, @Origamyde, I just wanted to let you know that all people who accidentally submit non-vanilla maps are absolutely allowed to have another try at it. I know the first one not ending up vanilla was probably a bummer, but I just wanted to let you know in case the urge struck. I'm real happy to have your submission as a part of this project either way!

Hey there Doomkid !

Thanks for telling me that. I'll try and upload a much more simple map just in case.

Finally, it's done.

Map Name: Running Down (not to be confused with the boom megawad)

Tested with: Chocolate Doom and GLBoom+

Music: Police Truck by Dead Kennedys

Playtime: About 3-4 minutes

Build Time: Way too fuckin' long. (procrastination included)

Deathmatch: Nope

Difficulty Settings: Yep

Version: 2 (forgot to set yellow door as locked)

Story:

Spoiler

A barrel containing radioactive materials has crashed into a run-down techbase. The radiation seeped into the water system of the base, causing anyone who drank it to become zombified. Plus, it can cause demons to emerge, for some unknown reason. Your job is to survey the area, and take down any hostiles roaming the base.

https://doomshack.org/uploads/Running_Down.wad

No screenshots because I already shared most of the map here.

Edited by Vladguy : Version 2

Alright, time for round two of submitting an actually working Vanilla map ! Hope it works ;-;

Wheel of (mis)fortune - OneManOri (20 Years of Mapping Contest) (now existing in both Vanilla / Limit-removing versions !)

Environment : Semi-urban / Tech

* Tested on :

- GZDoom (Works flawlessly)

- PRBoom+ (Works flawlessly)

- DSDA-Doom (Works flawlessly)

- Crispy Doom (Works flawlessly)

- Rude / Chocolate Doom (Should work without any problems)

* Fully implemented difficulty settings

* Co-op compatible

* Multiplayer compatible

* MIDI used : Time Machine by Black Sabbath

"Jamal Jones finds himself, once again, stranded on an remote outpost in the far reaches of Earth. If only he could get a hold of that sweet switch in order to go home..."

1ManOri.zip

This .zip file contains two versions of WoM : a Vanilla-compatible version, and a Boom-compatible version with a different skybox.

Spoiler

1190691494_2022-01-3018_13_03-Pinwheel-1ManOriBoom.wad(MAP01)-UltimateDoomBuilderR3905(64-bit).png.3e709f683c4f4d287a177fd5f3e637dd.png

980191737_2022-01-3018_13_45-Pinwheel-1ManOriBoom.wad(MAP01)-UltimateDoomBuilderR3905(64-bit).png.b8aad801d943c169dcba9857f8d5c1e6.png

7906890_2022-01-3018_14_21-Pinwheel-1ManOriBoom.wad(MAP01)-UltimateDoomBuilderR3905(64-bit).png.277b6059d100d164f6a28d924c4b5044.png

8 hours ago, Vladguy said:

Finally, it's done.

Map Name: Running Down (not to be confused with the boom megawad) 

Nice and fun map :) I think that there is one bug - yellow door is not marked as requiring the yelllow key. You can open it without key so you can skip a large portion of the map.

8 minutes ago, jacnowak said:

Nice and fun map :) I think that there is one bug - yellow door is not marked as requiring the yelllow key. You can open it without key so you can skip a large portion of the map.

Oh whoops. Forgot to set it as that. Will release a fixed version shortly.

On 1/30/2022 at 6:57 PM, Origamyde said:

Wheel of (mis)fortune - OneManOri (20 Years of Mapping Contest) (now existing in both Vanilla / Limit-removing versions !)

Had a lot of fun with this one! Some really cool secrets I must say!

Sorry it’s taken me so long  - I’ll be at my PC soon and post the updated resources!

4 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Sorry it’s taken me so long  - I’ll be at my PC soon and post the updated resources!

Thanks, If it is too much of an issue to change it I can just change the texture offsets so the top part of the texture is where the player would walk on.

On 1/29/2022 at 3:28 PM, LGmaire said:

You could just spoiler all of it to make be short unless someone clicks on the spoiler tag, and also for the people that don't wanna see the maps or thoughts about them so they can play maps blind.

That's not a bad idea. I think what I'll do is keep the names of the map and their contributor visible, so if anyone wants to see my thoughts on a particular map only--and, as you said, doesn't want to be spoiled on any of the others--they have that option.

On that note, here's another six:

"Ironclad Fortress" (MEMEAIDS)

Spoiler

Short and sweet, this would make a good 'Hell episode' intro level (Seems you agree, putting it at Map 21, and all). I know I drew attention to other submissions having lots of enemies, but this one I think has too few! A couple hordes of even low-tier enemies would do wonders.

"WASTE 'EM!" (Rymante)

Spoiler

Great 'things are starting to heat up' level. Surprisingly open-ended, too, and thankfully, not in the way that has me scratching my head and squinting at the mini-map. Layout and texture-work looks clean and professional. I like this one a lot.

"The Escapist" (valkiriforce)

Spoiler

Another great open-ended level. A fair bit more labyrinthine, but luckily there are multiple ways to reach each area of the map. I suspect you took pains to make sure it was hard to get lost here, and I appreciate that. I dig the 'devil furnace', too; It's a creative use of those spicy tomatoes.

"Mucopurulent Mystery" (E.M.)

Spoiler

Points for getting me to open up a dictionary. Pretty small map, here, I wish this one was longer! The ambushes when grabbing the keys kept me on my toes, and I thought for sure that area with the barrels and the chaingunners was going to spawn an arch-vile or two. Seems you were merciful.

"One World" (CBM)

Spoiler

Even though this isn't a large map, I still think that too few monsters call it home. Or maybe it's that they're too close together? Most were squeezed into monster closets as I recall. I also found supplies--in particular health--to be kinda thin. Without the secrets, dealing with the cacos can be a bit of a pain. Otherwise, there are some nice details here. The stairs to the yellow key caught my eye, in particular.

"Devilish Belly" (Hitboi)

Spoiler

If this was a competition about making the most heart-attack-inducing map, then I daresay no one else comes close. While I can't deny this one shines thematically, dodging enemies while balancing on microplatforms is not my idea of a good time. 10/10; I can't wait to never play this again.

And as a bonus...

"Future Hometown v4" (LGmaire)

Spoiler

Noticeably more generous on the easier skill settings. It's still a spicy level, but I appreciate the concessions. I could do without that Icon of Sin at the end, as those encounters seem to hate me more than I hate them (case in point, on this run it spawned two arch-viles almost back-to-back), but I understand there's an homage thing going on here. I didn't mention it last time, but the music is indeed a banger, and I also do not play Guilty Gear.

I have to say, I understand Doomkid's pain about this being a hard set to judge. Already I think I've seen some potential winners. As a consequence, it's also made me realize that my own map stands no chance at all, but really, that's fine by me. Just getting to use this resource pack was its own reward. :)