Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LorD BaZTArD

Second Technicality

Hmm bout time i posted this.
Said I was goin to weeks ago.
Anyway.

I have A problem involving a couple of games, Here goes:

Game One: Released 1997. Top Down Racing, 3D acceleration added as a patch 6 months laterdowntrack.
Can't Use 3D Patch.

Game Two: The Big one. Caused a Still running debate about which is better, it's main Competitor being Quake.
Not half Bad, designed for 3D acceleration.
Runs as software. Looks Ugly.

Cause: Game One. Install Patch. run patch.
Error Message One = Glide2X.dll not found.
Solution = Put Glide2X.dll in C:\Windows\system (Usual)
Error Message Two = Glide2X.dll expected Voodoo Graphics, none found. Game Won't run. (This is not really that bad as the game is fun by itself without 3DAcc)

Cause: Game Two. Bought "Platinum" Version, Latest ver in box.
Problem = Glide2X.dll expected Voodoo graphics none found.
Won't run.
Solution = Remove Glide2X.dll. Now it only runs in software.

Problem = Go into Advanced Options. (Know what it is yet?)
go into Drivers, change Software renderer to 3DFX.
Go into Display, Click 3DFX Renderer options. Get error DVC failed load.

Solution = No Fu><oring Idea. Doesn't Unreal have OpenGL suport? I tried It's website but there is little mention of unreal graphics, or unreal for that matter. UT is the Big cheese at moment.

Which is a tragedy Considering UT is Unreal with a couple of Different Modes, some Better Model's and marginally better graphics, as well as a "chat" menu (hardly a full game). Unreal itself is Pretty much UT in itself. Unreal is Older thats the ONLY diff.

Anyway Can anyone help here. Coz What I see on Unreal's box and What I get are EXTREMELY NOT THE SAME.
(If you still have no-idea what "game two" is then you are an idiot. Go away)

I assume you're talking about Unreal. I've got this problem too - is there any way to make it run decently without all that ugly dithering ? Like an OpenGL patch or something ?

And no, I have no idea what this is doing in a Doom forum.

Well Unreal is designed for 3DFX chipsets so you might want to try a Glide wrapper. Just run the emulator that feeds from GL and give it a shot.

UT has more differences then better models. It has much better netcode, support for compressed textures, hi-rez textures... lots of piddley things that you wouldn't see outright.

Flathead.

Yes The Second Game Is Unreal.
Well it is technical, but I put it in the General Forum for that reason. Not Doom.
But There is SUPPOSED to be smart people here
Tho most of the time they are insane but Im gonna try anyway.

Deadnail - Yep. I am aware that Unreal was designed for 3DFX. I woulda thought that given 3DFX's decision that money was bad...............the latest patch may have had OpenGL drivers in there. I was wrong.
Now Explain. WHAT is a Glide Wrapper. Tell me what it is, where to get it, And Theoretically I might figure out how to use it.

Bout Unreal Tourney, Well Considering I have only ever played the demo of UT. (I enjoyed it but it got boring)
Compared to the way Unreal is set up and what I have seen of UT well they look Very Similar. Hell the Weapons look similar for christ's sake. Tho I may be wrong.

I don't remember the details, 'cause it was a long time ago, but I had something that sounds like the problem you mention with a free copy of Unreal that I got with some piece of hardware or other. There was/is a compatability issue with one of the Voodoo cards (don't remember which, I've owned a 1, 2 and 3).

What I do remember is, I was able to get a patch that fixed it. I think it came from the Epic site, or maybe somewhere like planet unreal.

Sorry this is a bit vague, but there is a patch out there that fixed a very similar sounding problem.

There are a lot of Glide wrappers. They use your OpenGL to emulate Glide. Search Google for a 'Glide Wrapper', you'll probably find a few. They can't be that horrible. =)

Enjay - Hmm. I might not have mentioned this but my card is a GeForce2MX 400. Just abit more recent than the last unreal patch. Which maybe the problem too. Never have or will own a voodoo card.

Deadnail - Ok. right. thank you. I will do that