Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyockell

What was the game that started it all for you??????

What was the game that started it all for you? and really made a strange/signifficant impact on you?.
For me it would eather be Final doom for playstation or duke nukem 3d. When I played these games it got me hooked on gameing and were the only ones I'v actully had dreames about.

Hocus Pocus, back when BBS was the only 'internet' and people still had DOORS. I was supposed to be sleeping, but meh, I didn't care.

Super Mario Bros.
Sonic the Hedgehog
DooM
Silent Hill 1 and 2

I played plenty of games before mario, but that one was what really got me going. Sonic, DooM and Silent Hill 1 were the ones that affected me the most.

Oh god.. definately Metroid.

I loved that game.. but my neighbors owned it, not me. So I always went over to play the game.

I love it so... *sniffle <:)

Oh! and Yars Revenge. ;)

Probably either Q-Bert, Pitfall!, Mouse Trap, Sonic The Hedgehog, or some other real early one. Actually, it was probably Robotron: 2084 on my Atari 7800 (which I still have!)

I think it was the original Mario Bros. that got the ball rolling for me.
Then came Doom.

I remember when i first played the mario games then one night it gave me a really fucked up dream. I kept seeing cubes floating around :\ so never again have I touched those games....

Fire & Ice, Magic Pockets and Terminator 2.

All on the Omega...

The two games that affected me the most though were the original Doom and Donkey Kong Country :)

Super Mario Cart (SNES)
Street Fighter II (SNES)
Alex Kid in Mirical World (Sega Master System II)
Wonder Boy 3, The Dragons Trap (Sega Master System II)

Would put doom there, except I was already playing video games before it was released.

Actually, I take back what I said about Doom II being the game that got me in. Hell, it was Wolfenstein: Spear of Destiny, now that I think of it. Geez. It was great -- I made levels along wiht an N64 Goldeneye conversion that had such features as turning the chaingun into the RCP90. Ah...memories.

The first major impact a game had on me was "Legend of Zelda". I had been burnt out on console games for a few years from Atari's garbage they sold me for the 2600, but I quickly got the gaming fever again when the NES came out with games like Zelda and SMB.

Sonic the Hedeghog for me. I use to be nuts. Stowed away in my closet is every Sonic the Hedghog comic up to 2001, every Game for every system he was on, all the McDonald's toys and various stuffed animals, and the list continutes, along with my own comics I drew and about 2 notebooks of different characters I made up for it, Comics, and new machines for Dr. Robotnik

In approximate order, these games played the biggest role in "getting me into" computer games (which nowadays means DOOM and DOOM II, although I had an intermediate period in which I played other games as well):

Mattel's Intellivision (early console, Atari's main competitor)

AD&D (this isn't a computer game but it could probably be the game to share most of the blame for various reasons)

Temlpe of Apshai and it's add-ons (a 1 player "RPG" for the IBM PC)

Wizardry (the 1st one)

DOOM and DOOM II

Super Mario Bros 2, sort of... a friend had a NES with a couple of games, including that, and I used to play it there. Then one year or so later, I got a SNES with Super Mario All-Stars. Total joy. Heh.

Defender, I guess, even though I totally sucked at it. Also Space Invaders, Phoenix and of course Battlezone.

deathz0r said:

I can't remember, but I'd have to say Turrican.

Turrican, Maniac mansion, Bubble Bobble, Bushido and all the other great Commodore 64 games started it for me.
I started playing Doom a lot later.

Baron-Of-Hell said:

Fire & Ice, Magic Pockets

MAN. Those games are awesome!

For me, it'd have to be Lemmings, Bubble Bobble, Magic Pockets & Castle Master all on the Atari ST. I didn't get a PC until much later, and before I did I got a Sega Master System (ownage!), which had great games like Sonic and Golden Axe Warrior. There's few PC games that really influenced me, except Doom and maybe Ultima Underworld.

Lord almighty i have no idea.

I think the turtles on GB
started it off, either that or some indiana jones type of game on the atari. Since then i haven't looked back.

As for doom, well i've never thought "that game is crap!" i think quake got me into doom. I recall watching someone play quake in a pc shop and went eew when the guy fired a rocket into an ogre and gibbed him. The following week i played it and beat the first episode. A few weeks later my friend came round to my house with snes doom. I played doom that fateful day.

Since then i've been a doom fanatic. I have all the pc doom games as well as the psx doom games. I wish i had doom64, (yes i've played that too). Maybe Kaiser's TC, DSV4 will keep me happy for a while.