Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OliveTree

My first attempt at creating a midi (pls be hard on me)

D_OLIV.zip download is here

I've composed in the past quite a bit, and also produced music on things like Ableton. But I've never tried to formally create a .MID for use in things like Doom mods or the like. I just rediscovered this sincere attempt I did July 2021. I suspect it's not the final version, but the files are all almost completely gone. The only reason it's preserved at all is that it happened to have been put in a .WAD I made ages ago for the sake of hearing what it sounds like paired with a random Doom 2 level.

This was made specifically to see how Midi making agreed with me, as well as to try my hand at learning a new program for Midi creation (in this case it was Sekaiju v6.1). I also wanted it to specifically sound like a plausible Bobby Prince-ish Doom song :P

Was a trip to find this thing wasn't completely lost, so I figured I should try to keep it preserved. Here it is for you all. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it (midi-nerd or not)! Do you think it sounds effectively like a Doom pastiche?

I can hear some inspiration from Doom 1's E2M2 track: "The Demons from Adrian's Pen", mainly thanks to the ocarina's notes.

Overall, it's not a bad track, that's for sure, but I feel like it kind of repeats a bit too much with little variation, it stays mostly within the same two keys.

It does pick up in the second half, even if some guitar notes are a bit grating (nothing a bit of volume tweaking can't fix), but really, that was my only complaint.

I believe this could fit well in one of those spookier atmosphere levels, so in my opinion it fits, it just needs a little more variety.

Hope to listen more from you!

So many years have passed through time. Would you consider it as .midi it was composed by one of Sega,Sonic Team employees Jun Senoue.

Remix of Tubeletric was made by me,but original version was composed by one of former Epic Games employees Robert Allen.

It make it sound like official Sonic the Hedgehog videogame series of Sonic Generations(speaking sonic Fanbase Renaissance Era/Brand New Legacy Timeline in reality).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W47JifBBfQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9JGHtmEG0U&t=15s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LrEN5f0xeE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64jKUr3g5BU

I recorded audio file sound effects on iPhone because I couldn't export file in FL Studio 20.

23 hours ago, TheBlurCafe said:

I can hear some inspiration from Doom 1's E2M2 track: "The Demons from Adrian's Pen", mainly thanks to the ocarina's notes.

Overall, it's not a bad track, that's for sure, but I feel like it kind of repeats a bit too much with little variation, it stays mostly within the same two keys.

It does pick up in the second half, even if some guitar notes are a bit grating (nothing a bit of volume tweaking can't fix), but really, that was my only complaint.

I believe this could fit well in one of those spookier atmosphere levels, so in my opinion it fits, it just needs a little more variety.

Hope to listen more from you!

thank you for your feedback! There was definitely some e2m2 inspiration with the ocarina.

I agree 100 percent about the song being repetitive. the smoking gun to me is that i can never anticipate changes when they happen in the song (on repeat listens, i keep expecting melodies to come in way too early because its all so similar)

I feel like the second half of the song was probably a direct attempt to address this on my end, but imo its kind of overkill. the melody becomes REALLY wandery. Doom music has a habit of being repetitive so I think that's what I was going for. But doom music also changes key constantly lol

I'm interested to see you tackle MIDI-sequencing in the future, perhaps you could try doing your own thing instead of limiting yourself to Doom composition-making.

Good luck!

Nice track... definitely could fit in a doom level or even something like heretic/hexen.

It does get repetitive though and when you just keep adding layers toward the end it becomes a bit "busy" in my opinion. Here's my thoughts on possible ways you could make it a little more varied:

- Have the main melody stop playing at some point (the arpeggio on the ocarina/harpsichord). It's not a bad melody but because it is so regular (hitting on the eigth note every time) it kinda drones on and on. To add variety you could have some sections where it stops completely, and just let the chords ring out, or something in between like having just one arpeggio at each chord change.

- Have the chords drop out. This will give some space to the drums/melody/whatever else you want, perhaps a nice bassline could come in here

- Switch up the chord progression entirely, more specifically the timing of the chords. You have very long chords going on with only two per phrase. This is good for that ethereal, melancholy feeling but I think there's room for maybe a 4-chord progression (with each chord lasting half as long as before).

- I like the layers at the end but as I said I think it's a little too busy. I'd consider taking out some of the repeating parts to showcase the new parts, and potentially lowering the volume on some of those notes when there are a lot of them going at the same time.

Which software should I use for composing videogame series any song something from for instance,as an example Amiga PC emulator software/hardware,Avid Pro Tools,FL Studio 20,Audacity,Renoise,Impulse Tracker or Artist.io?

On 1/15/2022 at 1:32 PM, luke11685 said:

Which software should I use for composing videogame series any song something from for instance,as an example Amiga PC emulator software/hardware,Avid Pro Tools,FL Studio 20,Audacity,Renoise,Impulse Tracker or Artist.io?

The only correct answer is Find the one that suits you best.

Stuff like Protracker SDL/Renoise are tracker based, which is different in form than a piano roll based sequencer, such as FL Studio.

Was it rushed up like way too much? I used also Awave Studio. There’s also a GarageBand. I didn’t mention it then.

oh incidentally, anyone is free to use this midi in their mods, i only ask that you credit me (as Olive Blair). And if you like, I'd appreciate a message letting me know about ur mod!