Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot-Doom-20220108-203543.png
Screenshot-Doom-20220108-203614.png
Screenshot-Doom-20220108-203642.png
Screenshot-Doom-20220108-203926.png
Screenshot-Doom-20220108-204015.png
Screenshot-Doom-20220108-204029.png

Hey, I'm back with my first new map in....9 months!  Why has it taken me so long to drop something new? Lots of reasons, mainly IRL stuff. One of them was me just not knowing what I wanted this to be for ages, and involved a lot of staring at the editor and not doing anything, remaking whole areas and not thinking it was worth finishing. Eventually it started to take shape, and I've reached a point where I'm happy enough with it and the map is playable start to finish. Its been ages since I released anything that wasn't part of a CP, so its not without some mild trepidation I offer up No Survivors.

The original idea of this map goes way back and was meant to be a PSX influenced map with some Doom 3 vibes. In the end it settled somewhere between those two places, I guess. Its dark and tense, at least that is the idea.

Updated 24/01 (4th update - fixed missing textures):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5hnkmu0f5i7nnet/NoSurvivors.wad?dl=0

I hope you enjoy this map, and let me know your thoughts! I feel like one or two of the areas are a little underdetailed, but I've been too focused on getting it working start to finish and making sure the encounters worked. Looking forward to your feedback! I hope its not too hard, I died numerous times playtesting so figured that would make it sufficiently challenging. 

Edited by VisionThing

I played on Zandronum so I may have run into a couple of issues that were the fault of the program rather than your map, but I couldn't escape from the Soul Sphere secret near the start of the map, and the door beyond the yellow door to the exit didn't seem to open either.

Combat was nice and it was good fun to play through.

12 hours ago, Degree23 said:

I played on Zandronum so I may have run into a couple of issues that were the fault of the program rather than your map, but I couldn't escape from the Soul Sphere secret near the start of the map, and the door beyond the yellow door to the exit didn't seem to open either.

Combat was nice and it was good fun to play through.

Interesting, I didn't test on Zan so I will have a look and see if I can replicate the errors. The soul sphere secret is supposed to open itself once you cross a certain line so you can jump back down to that initial area. The first version I uploaded had a bug I missed where the skull switch wouldn't open the wooden door but I did fix that as soon as I realised. Thanks for the feedback! 

I had the same problems as Degree23 did (I played with GZDoom). I have recorded a playthrough so the bugs I encounter will be better illustrated. The video is still uploading but I will edit this post when it is done.

This was a blast!

Edited by azerty

1 hour ago, azerty said:

I had the same problems as Degree23 did (I played with GZDoom). I have recorded a playthrough so the bugs I encounter will be better illustrated. The video is still uploading but I will edit this post when it is done.

This was a blast!

Thanks for this! I see how you got softlocked now. That imp closet is supposed to open by walking across a linedef on the stairs, I'll change it so itll still open if players go straight ahead and down into that main area. You also pointed out some missing textures I thought I had fixed so I'll update the map right now! 

As for the exit, check the garage again ;) though it not the most obvious, and relies on exploring the map again...

Edit: map has now been updated

Edited by VisionThing

2 hours ago, VisionThing said:

As for the exit, check the garage again ;) though it not the most obvious, and relies on exploring the map again...

I still can't find it. After the switch behind the first yellow door opens the Arch Vile, it's natural to expect that something within this area is going to open the final door. There's not really incentive to wander anywhere else on the map, especially if you've killed all the monsters. I'm not sure why you have something beyond the second yellow door blocking progress, especially as there aren't even any enemies behind it, there's only the exit.

Edit: Ok, after a bit more wandering around I found it. There is no other way into that garage area, so you're unlikely to stumble into it randomly, and if you're extremely observant you might remember that there was a wall in there that is the same texture as other walls which eventually opened to reveal things behind it, but it's a bit of a stretch. After the AV fight, you need to give the player some idea that they need to return to that area, since now that I've found it, I realise it does serve a purpose.

Edited by Degree23

24 minutes ago, Degree23 said:

I still can't find it. After the switch behind the first yellow door opens the Arch Vile, it's natural to expect that something within this area is going to open the final door. There's not really incentive to wander anywhere else on the map, especially if you've killed all the monsters. I'm not sure why you have something beyond the second yellow door blocking progress, especially as there aren't even any enemies behind it, there's only the exit.

Edit: Ok, after a bit more wandering around I found it. There is no other way into that garage area, so you're unlikely to stumble into it randomly, and if you're extremely observant you might remember that there was a wall in there that is the same texture as other walls which eventually opened to reveal things behind it, but it's a bit of a stretch. After the AV fight, you need to give the player some idea that they need to return to that area, since now that I've found it, I realise it does serve a purpose.

That is a very good point actually. You've given me an idea which I will have a go at adding now which should make it smoother. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oaajs9v060it9ya/NoSurvivors.wad?dl=0

Newest version (also in the OP):

I've added a teleport mechanism to avoid backtracking which will take you straight to the final fight (and back again to the exit) after killing the AV, which has streamlined things. Thanks both for your suggestions and comments! Note to self: actually have people playtest your maps before you release them! Feedback is crucial.

Another small edit as I twigged I used the wrong linedef actions on the exit teleporter! 

Here's a playthrough! The atmosphere was great throughout - there are a couple of places where the flow of the map could be streamlined, which I'll point out. Giving the player a reason to go back to that arena and then back to the Cyberdemon door would be good, I'm not sure how off the top of my head :)

Not too shabby a map, VT. My only gripes are the basic progression and it felt a bit too square and bare bones in some areas, but it makes up for it with its atmosphere and combat.

@DavidN @Biodegradable Thanks so much for your playthroughs and commentary! This map was quite challenging and frustrating to make at times, so its worth it to hear that its still good and hits the mark with the atmosphere and combat. I've fixed the final missing textures I noticed in your videos too - slightly embarrassing as I was sure I noticed them all before - been quite frazzled recently! Appreciate it as always.

Been meaning to play this for some time, always love your maps - @Biodegradable joined me - good times, fun map - cool secrets - love the red lighted fights - fun!

I like the atmosphere you created, it reminded me of Alien a lot (maybe a bit too much, at some point when maps leave the doom theme the monsters feel a bit out of place). Everything seemed well balanced, I never felt overwhelmed or bored, never felt lost too. Which is probably due to the relatively "normal" architecture which would also be my only point of critique. It seems a bit much of 128px halls everywhere. Oh and one thing: that pain sound is a bit silly, maybe remove just that. Overall good gameplay and good aesthetic. I played UV and found 4/5 secrets

one question though, why didnt I have this nice UI like @Biodegradable? The graphics seem customized for this map but I'm also interested in that layout simply, of those classic elements with the space for the weapon in the middle which @DavidN also has

Edited by pampoo79

8 hours ago, pampoo79 said:

One question though, why didnt I have this nice UI like @Biodegradable? The graphics seem customized for this map but I'm also interested in that layout simply, of those classic elements with the space for the weapon in the middle which @DavidN also has

Dave and I were both using the Dead Marine mod. Dave's status bar looks different because he used a further customized version of it that he edited/altered himself.