Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cutie pie ^^

Editor On Linux!

For a while I have been wanting to make wads levels/maps and other things like that, but i haven't found a tool that i can run yet.

I have tried Slade 3, Eureka, Ultimate Doom BuilderDoom builder (using wine) and even RedoomEd! But none of those have worked.

I have spent hours reading dead threads of which most of are outdated. I don't care how hard it is to learn or how popular it is or any of that shit

i just want to make my own doom maps. If anyone could help  it'd make my day :)

(Btw this is on a raspberry pi 3)

myapplication.png

UDB.png

Edited by ABirbWithGuns

UDB works on Linux, it's what I use. All you have to do is follow the instructions on the page to build it where it will run through wine-mono. It does have some funky behavior and can crash, but I've never encountered a crash where it won't let you save beforehand.

2 minutes ago, Maribo said:

UDB works on Linux, it's what I use. All you have to do is follow the instructions on the page to build it where it will run through wine-mono. It does have some funky behavior and can crash, but I've never encountered a crash where it won't let you save beforehand.

imigosh thank u thank u thank u i will try it out :)

1 hour ago, Maribo said:

I might asweel just give up. imma add udb to the list

You'll probably need to be a bit more specific about your system, because SLADE 3, Eureka, and UDB work just fine on Linux for most people. (I believe Eureka is even developed entirely on Linux.) So if they don't work for you, it's something about your system in particular rather than about Linux in general.

Definitely starting to sound like a system compatibility issue at this point, or you're missing some sort of framework these things depend on to run.

3 hours ago, ABirbWithGuns said:

For a while I have been wanting to make wads levels/maps and other things like that, but i haven't found a tool that i can run yet.

I have tried Slade 3, Eureka, Ultimate Doom BuilderDoom builder (using wine) and even RedoomEd! But none of those have worked.

I have spent hours reading dead threads of which most of are outdated. I don't care how hard it is to learn or how popular it is or any of that shit

i just want to make my own doom maps. If anyone could help  it'd make my day :)

Can you provide more details about the crashes and your system? And what is the version of the editors? Eureka and Slade work fine on linux

7 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Definitely starting to sound like a system compatibility issue at this point, or you're missing some sort of framework these things depend on to run.

Well maybe, I'm not sure, i always make sure I have everything installed that it needs to run. But there's always an error when compiling or installing which really sucks since the errors are extremely specific and i just waste hours tying to fix them.

6 hours ago, SilentD00mer said:

Can you provide more details about the crashes and your system? And what is the version of the editors? Eureka and Slade work fine on linux

well they aren't crashes its errors when downloading installing or compiling which most off spent quite some time trying to fix but without any luck.

The system I'm trying to install them on is a Raspberry Pi 3 model B Its about a 50 Euro computer meant to teach kids computer programming and other things. It's faster than a pc on the 90's and can run doom 3 windowed at about 10 fps and can run minecraft (with a low render distance ofc). The version of  the editors is the latest and i believe that its based on the Debian version of linux.

8 hours ago, Gez said:

You'll probably need to be a bit more specific about your system, because SLADE 3, Eureka, and UDB work just fine on Linux for most people. (I believe Eureka is even developed entirely on Linux.) So if they don't work for you, it's something about your system in particular rather than about Linux in general.

Well im trying to find an editor that does work and yes it is my system.

3 hours ago, ABirbWithGuns said:

The system I'm trying to install them on is a Raspberry Pi 3 model B Its about a 50 Euro computer meant to teach kids computer programming and other things.

Say no more.

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=286603

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=289113

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=297155

It's definitely doable based on this, so you're missing something somewhere, or doing something wrong somehow.

43 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Say no more.

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=286603

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=289113

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=297155

It's definitely doable based on this, so you're missing something somewhere, or doing something wrong somehow.

I have already read those articles i believe somewhere along the way i might have been doing something wrong but i have already tried to install eureka 3 times so i'm not sure

12 hours ago, SilentD00mer said:

Yes, Slade (in the drd team repository) and Eureka (in the Debian main repository) are packaged for Debian.

Yadex used to be packaged too.

Edited by ducon

I am retrying to install them, maybe i did something wrong

edit: nothing worked :/

Edited by ABirbWithGuns

It would really help if you could post the errors when compiling, it's a bit hard to diagnose an issue without seeing the actual terminal output in a case like this.

5 minutes ago, Maribo said:

It would really help if you could post the errors when compiling, it's a bit hard to diagnose an issue without seeing the actual terminal output in a case like this.

Sure i will post the screenshots

1 hour ago, ducon said:

How do you install them?

always a guide of commands you have to enter into the terminal for example: sudo apt get, clone, git, etc. To summarize it first you have to install then you have to compile it and the you can run it.

Well, from a certain point of view, it's encouraging to see that in our era of instant gratification/least effort/"me me me", there are still people who choose the longest path/road less traveled (and then some!) to achieve a certain goal. Just don't complain if, after you are finally done with the preliminaries, you find your new mapping environment less than ideal/not as productive as you thought. It comes with the territory :-)

10 minutes ago, Maes said:

Well, from a certain point of view, it's encouraging to see that in our era of instant gratification/least effort/"me me me", there are still people who choose the longest path/road less traveled (and then some!) to achieve a certain goal. Just don't complain if, after you are finally done with the preliminaries, you find your new mapping environment less than ideal/not as productive as you thought. It comes with the territory :-)

Don't worry, i'm the kind of person that loves learning something new, a few of my hobbies are: Videogames, skateboarding (a new one to the list), speed cubing (solving a rubiks cube as fast as possible), yoyoing, drawing, pixel art, coding, making cursed images and roasting my friends. I get happy when I can add something to the list cus it gives me one more thing to brag about B).

Eureka and Slade don’t need to be compiled in Debian.

Which distribution are you using?

4 hours ago, ducon said:

Eureka and Slade don’t need to be compiled in Debian.

Which distribution are you using?

It's a Pi 3, so my guess is Raspbian.

bruh

I've got a Pi 4 rather than a 3 but doing 'apt search eureka' returns an installable package. See also https://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/e/eureka/

Just type 'apt install eureka' at the cli and be done with it, why compile shit unless you absolutely have to (plus, git versions of Eureka have no new features, at least the last time I checked)?

You'll have to install Slade via FlatPak though, no .deb package seems to exist. Here's a link to install FlatPak: https://flatpak.org/setup/Raspberry%20Pi%20OS/

2 hours ago, dmdr said:

why compile shit unless you absolutely have to

Because compiling from source is the Linux way. For everything that ails you, compile from source. Did I mention compiling from source?

25 minutes ago, Maes said:

Because compiling from source is the Linux way. For everything that ails you, compile from source. Did I mention compiling from source?

If you want to break your system (unless it’s Gentoo), compile everything.

Does your system suppor flatpaks? SLADE is available on flathub, so if you do have suppor for flatpaks it should work if you install it as one.

I know for a fact both SLADE and Eureka work fine on Ubuntu and on Arch-based distros, but I have no clue if installing any of these on a Raspberry Pi is feasible. I also got ReDoomEd to work fine on both Ubuntu (Lubuntu, to be specific) and Puppy Linux (albeit in a hackish way I had to figure out by myself).

On 1/10/2022 at 5:37 PM, QuotePilgrim said:

Does your system suppor flatpaks? SLADE is available on flathub, so if you do have suppor for flatpaks it should work if you install it as one.

I know for a fact both SLADE and Eureka work fine on Ubuntu and on Arch-based distros, but I have no clue if installing any of these on a Raspberry Pi is feasible. I also got ReDoomEd to work fine on both Ubuntu (Lubuntu, to be specific) and Puppy Linux (albeit in a hackish way I had to figure out by myself).

I already tried that :/

On 1/10/2022 at 8:30 AM, dmdr said:

bruh

I've got a Pi 4 rather than a 3 but doing 'apt search eureka' returns an installable package. See also https://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/e/eureka/

Just type 'apt install eureka' at the cli and be done with it, why compile shit unless you absolutely have to (plus, git versions of Eureka have no new features, at least the last time I checked)?

You'll have to install Slade via FlatPak though, no .deb package seems to exist. Here's a link to install FlatPak: https://flatpak.org/setup/Raspberry%20Pi%20OS/

Whenever is use apt install eureka i get this:

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), are you root?

Im not sure if im missing something.

I really don't know why you silently edited the terminal output screenshots into the OP (and also didn't crop them properly so they don't have a shitload of transparent space around them) instead of posting them in a new reply, man, but anyway:

41 minutes ago, ABirbWithGuns said:

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), are you root?

sudo apt install eureka

This will run apt install as root. If this doesn't work, please post the error output instead of just saying "i tried it and it didn't work"