Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skittle

Favourite Map from each episode?

Hey everyone. I was just hanging out at my desk and I got to thinking, 'I wonder what maps from each episode of Doom 1 are people's favourites...' I'll start by listing off some of mine.

For Knee-Deep in the Dead, I'd have to say my favourite map would be Phobos Lab. The Map's layout is really fun to zoom around in, the secrets are easily recallable in my mind (especially the one that leads outside to the Soul-Sphere, protecting you from the pinky ambush), and that ending segment with the spectres in the dark really brings out Doom's horror aspect, it's awesome Stuff.

For The Shores of Hell I'd probably have to go with Containment Area, which might not be a common opinion but I'll explain why. There's a strange thing that happens when I play through Containment Area. At first, I'll kind of dread it, with the whole map ahead of me, and what with it being a very mazey map, it's a little daunting. Anyway, I'll start going through and I'll start to warm up to all of it, zooming through the hallways and ticking off all the boxes for secrets in my mind, It's a great feeling. Eventually when everything's said and done and I'm closing in on the exit room I realise I've actually had a really good time, and every time I go back, even if I dread it, the feeling feels ever so slightly further away, replaced with a feeling of familiarity. Love that map.

As for Inferno, well... I've not beaten it yet, but I'm getting to it! So far I've only seen Hell Keep and Slough of Despair, and between those two I adore Slough of Despair. It's such a confined map but it really feels like you can zoom around, weaving between the rocks in the main section, so fun dude. I feel like most of the secrets are well placed, except for the one on the leftmost finger, but that doesn't really matter, since when the switch raises too high above you, you can just press it down.

And as you probably expect by what I said about Inferno, I haven't played Episode 4 yet, but if the thread is still active by the time I beat it I'll be sure to let you all in on what level I like the most. Anyway, that's all I had to say, Cheers guys!

Knee Deep in the Dead: E1M7 - Computer Station

The Shores of Hell: E2M7 - Spawning Vats

Inferno: E3M3 - Pandemonium

Thy Flesh Consumed: E4M2 - Perfect Hatred (but E4M3 - Sever the Wicked is pretty close though)

2 minutes ago, Wavy said:

Knee Deep in the Dead: E1M7 - Computer Station

The Shores of Hell: E2M7 - Spawning Vats

Inferno: E3M3 - Pandemonium

Thy Flesh Consumed: E4M2 - Perfect Hatred (but E4M3 - Sever the Wicked is pretty close though)

I couldn't help but get lost when I played Spawning Vats, but I suppose I've only played through once. Maybe It'll become more familiar on subsequent plathroughs. As for computer station, I like it enough, probably one of the better maps in the episode :).

My favorite map in episode 1 would have to be E1M7: Computer Station. It definitely feels like a penultimate level, with all three keys present as well as a complex (but not too large layout), with numerous important areas throughout the level visible while you're wandering around, reinforcing the sense of place as you navigate it. It's the perfect culmination of design elements to test your skills before the boss battle with the Barons in the next level.

In Episode 2, my favorite level is E2M6: Halls of the Damned. The fake exit, the dark labyrinth to get the red key; the map itself is hostile to the player, and I absolutely love it. Coupled with the fact that you can get the keys in any order you want, I think it's easily the strongest level in the second episode. It's essentially the original "Tricks and Traps" without feeling like a gimmick level when you play it (even if it is one in hindsight).

For Episode 3, this is a tough one. I think I'll have to go with E3M9: Warrens. Even if it's experimental/"uninspired", the feeling of deja-vu playing it for the first time is great, and it was terrifying when instead of ending the level, stepping on the teleport pad lowered a wall to reveal a Cyberdemon. From there it was a lot of fun to go through and see the changes to the rest of the level. Good stuff.

As for Episode 4... yeah I still haven't played through it all the way yet lol. I'll get to it one of these days!

14 minutes ago, SMG_Man said:

My favorite map in episode 1 would have to be E1M7: Computer Station. It definitely feels like a penultimate level, with all three keys present as well as a complex (but not too large layout), with numerous important areas throughout the level visible while you're wandering around, reinforcing the sense of place as you navigate it. It's the perfect culmination of design elements to test your skills before the boss battle with the Barons in the next level.

In Episode 2, my favorite level is E2M6: Halls of the Damned. The fake exit, the dark labyrinth to get the red key; the map itself is hostile to the player, and I absolutely love it. Coupled with the fact that you can get the keys in any order you want, I think it's easily the strongest level in the second episode. It's essentially the original "Tricks and Traps" without feeling like a gimmick level when you play it (even if it is one in hindsight).

For Episode 3, this is a tough one. I think I'll have to go with E3M9: Warrens. Even if it's experimental/"uninspired", the feeling of deja-vu playing it for the first time is great, and it was terrifying when instead of ending the level, stepping on the teleport pad lowered a wall to reveal a Cyberdemon. From there it was a lot of fun to go through and see the changes to the rest of the level. Good stuff.

As for Episode 4... yeah I still haven't played through it all the way yet lol. I'll get to it one of these days!

I can definitely agree with you on Halls of the Damned. What a level... Back when I played through it the first time, I started off really disliking the pacing. It felt so sluggish, but after going through more and more I quickly understood how much good the slower pace was doing for the level design. Can't forget that fake ending either, that actually got me when I pressed the button, nearly killed me!

20 minutes ago, sussin said:

I couldn't help but get lost when I played Spawning Vats, but I suppose I've only played through once. Maybe It'll become more familiar on subsequent plathroughs.

I had a similar experience when I first played played it, but I slowly understood its progression/layout which turned it into my favourite map from The Ultimate Doom.

For Episode 1 it's E1M7 Computer Station with E1M5 Phobos Lab not far behind. 

For Episode 2 it's E2M6 Halls of the Damned with E2M2 Containment Area, E2M4 Deimos Lab and E2M7 Spawning Vats not far behind.

For Episode 3 it's E3M4 House of Pain with E3M3 Pandemonium and E3M6 Mount Erebus not far behind.

For Episode 4 E4M2 Perfect Hatred and E4M6 Against Thee Wickedly are tied. Couldn't choose between them.

And I'll throw in a top 3 for Doom 2 as well cuz why not. In sequential order, Map 10 Refueling Base, Map 18 The Courtyard, and Map 29 The Living End. The are pretty much tied as well.

For me it's:

E1M7

E2M6

E3M6

E4M6

I guess that's... 666! Do I win something??

Also, my LEAST favorites of each:

E1M9

E2M9

E3M5

E4M4

E1: definitely Hangar. So simple yet so memorable. That zig zag room and the open sky blew my mind back in '93.

E2: Refinery. I'm a sucker for tech meets flesh. 

E3: Unholy Cathedral. I dig labyrinthine maps with lots of backtracking around a central hub. 

E4: Sever the Wicked. Very hard to make a good looking wood-based level, and this map imo succeeds. 

Episode 1 -E1M2: Nuclear Plant: The atmosphere and use of lighting in this map is really well done, as does the combat. Here we also witness one of my favourite Romero design principles- if you can see an area, you can go there. Going from a dark, isolated tech base to an outside area is a welcome change. I had to tie this with E1M3, but I generally prefer playing through this map nowadays.

Episode 2- E2M2: Containment Area. I remember liking this one the most( despite me not remembering majority of episode 2). I feel that the shareware episode has arguably the best in terms of level design in Doom. Anyway, this map is nice and open and has a lot of areas to explore. I love maps that encourage exploration. The large amount of secrets also helps encourage exploration.

Episode 3- E3M6: Mt. Erebus. One of the few maps in episode 3 that I genuinely like/ remember. This map is a lot more open and is a breath of fresh air from the rest of the episode. Just the high point of episode 3 in general, really.

Episode 4- E4M7: And Hell Followed. I've never played any of Dr. Sleep's works apart from this and I really should. This map is probably the middle ground when it comes to the pain and suffering present in Thy Flesh Consumed. The mood and lighting is fantastic and the combat is nice and punchy. The best map in an episode with high highs and low lows.

KDITD - E1M3

TSOH - E2M6

Inferno - E3M2

TFC - E4M1 (Yes, I do enjoy this map. Call me a sadist if you will.)

No need for more context.

Let’s start with the favourites:

Episode 1: Hard to pick, I like almost all of them. I’ll pick E1M3. It's a good, classic good level that has a good variety of gameplay, introduces the first monster closet trap, and as a kid (before widespread Internet and even level editors) the secrets really eluded me; took me a long time to get the soul sphere and reach the secret exit.

Episode 2: It has to be either E2M2 for much the same reasons stated in OP, or E2M6, which also induced fear when I was kid, and excitement as adult, just like E2M2. I think I'll pick E2M2 here, because the warehouse setting is so well done, and how it succumbs to hell influence as the level goes on.

Episode 3: My pick is E3M6, as it epitomizes hell aesthetic for me, and it's sort of exception in the base doom level canon, where levels are "closed" whereas this one is open with hordes closing in on you. E3M4 comes close second.

Episode 4: Hard to pick between E4M2 and E4M6… but I’m also inclined to pick E4M1, which somehow appeals to me despite the dickish ratio of barons and health packs. Yeah, my choice is E4M1, it's a great, compact introduction to an episode that will (mostly) beat the crap out of you. That said, objectively E4M2 and E4M6 are probably better levels.

Then to Doom 2.

Episode 1: Has to be MAP11, O' of Destruction. Mostly episode 1 is the best episode of Doom 2, but I gotta say most of the lean on the mediocre side. MAP06 is great, though, but doesn't quite make it to the top here.

Episode 2: I'm used to thinking I despise city levels, but in my recent pistol start playthrough, it's mostly passable. Best of the bunch is probably either MAP14, or MAP18 which I found enjoyable just the other evening. But I guess I'll take MAP14, Inmost Dens, it feels such a consistent quality level.

Episode 3: There are a couple of contenders: MAP29 is a classic, but I quite like MAP26 (Abandoned Mines) and MAP28 (Spirit World) as well. I guess I'll go with MAP29 though.

Then the least favourites. I'll make this shorter:

E1M9: Somehow this level feels like ”Romero’s first map”, square rooms, overall boring. I never look forward to this one.

E2M9: Base doom doesn’t excel with secret maps. At least this one’s short.

E3M5: In ep3 I like the secret map, and really dislike Unholy Cathedral. I always get confused by the teleporters. E3M7 is a serious contender here, confusing messes, both of them.

E4M9: Could have picked E4M4, but overall I find the secret map a letdown. If this was E1M9, I’d hold it in much higher regard.

Base levels: MAP05: Bleech, such a boring, brown level that can't be over soon enough. MAP07 is a contender here, I have never found Dead Simple as appealing as the consensus goes.

City levels: MAP12 is a miserable entry to the city levels, although I don't like MAP13 or even MAP15 that much either. MAP15 has some good parts, though.

Hell levels: MAP23: I *hate* Barrels of Fun. MAP27 (Monster Condo) is also a downer, it tries to meld City aesthetics with hell, but the end result is amateurish. MAP30 is not considered here, as I don't view it as an actual level, just an icon of disappointment.

Edited by RHhe82 : Elaborated on my answers, I shouldn't use phone when replying here.

As for Doom 1:

E1: E1M7. It's essentially everything the episode has been leading up to, or in other words, the perfect Knee Deep map.

E2: Either E2M2 or E2M6 for the fact that they drip with more atmosphere than most other maps in Doom. More maps should've been built around the idea of being an actual place like this.

E3: Frankly I don't like any of these maps but E3M4 is the closest thing to fun in the episode.

E4: E4M1, E4M2, and E4M6 all kind of tie as my favorite. The first two maps are a very welcomed step up in difficulty and are some of the better looking id-made iwad levels, but E4M6 is probably the most nostalgic map for me because my first true experience with Doom was idcleving around the iwads and getting lost in this place along side map 04 in TNT.

As for Doom II:

E1: Underhalls and The Crusher tie here for visuals and gameplay respectively.

E2: The Inmost Dens is like Suburbs if it didn't take a minute and a half to beat pistol start.

E3: The Chasm and Living End are the most fun levels in Doom II for me, but The Spirit World is probably the most nostalgic Doom II map. I distinctly remember getting lost in that ugly bitch of a map while listening to that mocking yet still intimidating midi.

I'd do reviews for the Final Doom episodes but I'll admit I still haven't finished either iwad yet. Neither of them are much fun outside of the first episode.

E1: Computer Station. The combination of Demons on the Prey and it being the penultimate map really gives it this feeling of being at the cusp of something weird and messed up. E1M5 is the other "scary" E1 level but this one pulls it off slightly better. 

E2: Containment Area. A gloomy, atmospheric and weird masterpiece. 

E3: Pandemonium. Pulls off a great mix of Hell and Techbase that's been dragged into hell. Abstract stuff like water ceilings and that awesome Slayer-esque MIDI.

E4: Hell Beneath. Tough as nails opener and the use of Sign of Evil, a direct contrast to the more upbeat map 1 music from the other episodes lends it a dismal, oppressive feel that I still love. That orange sky too. 

Doom 1

E1:  Tough call, but Toxin Refinery just edges out the rest.  I really like the way the level unfolds and the secrets flow.  It's also sensible enough to end before the bread-and-butter combat gets old.

E2:  Halls of the Damned, no contest.  Sinister is one of my favorite MIDIs, just simmers with malevolence and foreboding.  The level itself was genuinely unnerving to 8-year-old me, and it introduced a lot of little things that stick with me in my appreciation of classic Doom today: the dark labyrinth full of ambushes, the fake exit, the exploratory progression.  To hear Sandy tell it, this was the first map he ever made, and it got him his job at id.  Looking at this map, I find that notion fascinating.

E3:  Mt. Erebus.  Before I ever played Suburbs, this was the "big open fight" map.  A lot of the rest of this episode didn't stick with me, really. 

E4:  Hell Beneath.  Not knowing what I was in for after the first three episodes, the savagery left an impression on me.

Doom 2

E1:  The Pit.  Yeah, the MIDI is cool and all, but the things that stuck with me in this level are the way it unfolds in spots, and the relatively huge volumes of enemies at once compared to pretty much anything before it in Doom. 

E2:  Probably Courtyard, narrowly beats Tenements and Suburbs for me.  Big honking fight with a ton of weird optional bullshit you can go see if you feel like.  I also find the key placement really funny: it's just laying there in the corner quietly while this big looney tunes fight happens.

E3:  Monster Condo.  Haunted house full of crazy ambushes you have to scramble to stay on top of.  Prototypical of my favorite stuff today.

Edited by ZethXM : Forgot Episode 4!

E1 Doom 1:  I really like map7, it's the only episode 1 map I even have a chance of dying when playing.

E2 Doom 1: Halls of the Damned, Sandy earns his keep with this one.  Unlike the rest of the doom 1 maps I remember it's name too.

E3 Doom 1:  Map9 because it's the only one I find fun at all because of it's unique premise. 

E4 Doom 1:  Map 1, it's trademark American McGee. 

E1 doom 2:  Refueling base, A grand old time because of how open it is and the freedom of movement allowed.

E2 Doom 2:  The Inmost Dens,  McGee's masterwork.  Everyone remembers this one.

E3 Doom 2:  The Living End or The Spirit World.  

I have only finished Plutonia once so I don't remember it well enough, but I really like Map 32.

I beat half of TNT but i enjoyed Wormhole and Prison Yard.  

The Ultimate Doom:

E1: E1M6

E2: E2M2 is the best map and I will die on this hill.

E3: E3M4, but also shares its place with E3M6

E4: E4M2, I may hate this map to shreds but it is the one everyone remembers from Thy Flesh Comsumed.

Doom 2:

E1: Map10

E2: Map18

E3: Map27

The Ultimate Doom:

From E1, it's Toxin Refinery. The map isn't as easy as the other ones in the episode, it's snappy, has a good midi and the secrets are really fun to discover, especially with how one leads into the next.

E2: Halls of the Damned. Again, great music, spooky atmosphere and the dark maze section is probably the best looking area of the first three episodes, thanks to it's sharp lighting, besides just being a cool gimmick in general.

I don't really like E3, but Pandemonium is probably the least offensive and has a fun hot start.

E4 is my favorite, so it's pretty hard to decide here, but I think I like Sever the Wicked the most. It's just a fun, bloody romp without being completely harmless. Which makes it stand out against most other commercial Doom maps imo.

Doom 2:

From E1 it's Refueling Base. It always felt like the map with the most substance within the first 11 maps. It's also highly non-linear and pretty difficult, by Doom 2 standards.

The Inmost Dens is definetely the best map of E2 to me, the pressure added by the snipinf hitscanners puts it above most other commercial maps, gameplay-wise, imo.

From E3 it's The Chasm (also my favorite map in all of Doom 2). Feels like a proper adventure, the fights and the narrow ledges are really fun and the color coordination is great too. Again, Doom 2 standards.

Final Doom:

I don't really think about Plutonia or TNT in episodes, but here are my favorites from each wad:

Impossible Mission for PL, it's just a good map with fun traps and longer than most other maps in Plutonia.

From TNT, it's Steel Works, because the midi is awesome and cutting down lots of hitscanners is always fun.

Edited by Yumheart : Only realized later that this thread is about more than just Doom 1 lol

Knee-Deep in the Dead - E1M5 Phobos Labs

The Shores of Hell - E2M4 Deimos Lab

Inferno - E3M6 Mt. Erebus

Thy Flesh Consumed - E4M6 Against Thee Wickedly

Episode 1:

E1M1: Hanger

Episode 2:

E2M7: Spawning Vats

Episode 3:

E3M6: Mt. Erebus

Episode 4:

E4M2: Perfect Hatred

Close calls would include E1M7: Computer Station, E2M9: Fortress of Mystery, E4M6: Against Thee Wickedly and E4M8: Unto The Cruel.

E1: E1M7, Computer Station
E2: E2M4, Deimos Lab
E3: E3M7, Limbo (seemingly a very unpopular opinion)
E4: E4M5, They Will Repent 

Least favourites are easier at least
E1: E1M9, Military Base
E2: E2M3, Refinery

E3: E3M1, Hell Keep
E4: E4M3, Sever the Wicked

Favorites of each episode:

E1 : E1M7 or E1M5

E2 : E2M2 or E2M4

E3 : E3M6

E4 : E4M2

Least Favorites

E1 : E1M9

E2 : E2M3 or E2M9

E3 : Almost every map other than E3M6. Probably E3M7 or E3M5

E4 : E4M4

Hmm strangely for me the best map is always in slot 6.

Episode 1 - E1M6 - It has has some bite to it with a couple of lock-in traps but also feels good to play quickly with some interesting secrets.

Episode 2 - lots of varied themes including some excellent use of darkness. Also sinister is my favourite UDoom track.

Episode 3 - It looks garish but it is so different to practically every other UDoom map that it really stands out. It also plays pretty well.

Episode 4 - E4M2 is great but E4M6 just feels the more complete map.

10 hours ago, Captain Keen said:

For me it's:

E1M7

E2M6

E3M6

E4M6

I guess that's... 666! Do I win something??

Also, my LEAST favorites of each:

E1M9

E2M9

E3M5

E4M4

A like is all I can provide, my dude. Nice one.

22 minutes ago, cannonball said:

Hmm strangely for me the best map is always in slot 6.

Episode 1 - E1M6 - It has has some bite to it with a couple of lock-in traps but also feels good to play quickly with some interesting secrets.

Episode 2 - lots of varied themes including some excellent use of darkness. Also sinister is my favourite UDoom track.

Episode 3 - It looks garish but it is so different to practically every other UDoom map that it really stands out. It also plays pretty well.

Episode 4 - E4M2 is great but E4M6 just feels the more complete map.

I can definitely agree to Central Processing being good. It's real fun to just straferun through the open spaces, and that one maze area that gets you to the yellow key. As for later on in the level, I can certainly appreciate the big monster closet open, still provides somewhat of a challenge which is always appreciated.

Here's my list:

Knee Deep in the Dead: E1M9

Shorses of Hell: E2M5

Inferno: E3M6

Thy Flesh Consumed: E4M3

Sigil: E5M6

Hell on Earth (Doom 2): Map 07

TNT Evilution: Map 17

Plutonia: Map 29

Episode 1: Computer Station

Episode 2: Containment Area (probably my favourite map out of all 4 episodes)

Episode 3: House of Pain

Episode 4: Hell Beneath