Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aivar242

GZDoom 4.7.1 does not find the Hi-Res texture pack

I played on the GZDoom 4.1.2b port and the port worked fine with the Hi-Res texture pack. I downloaded the newest version of the GZDoom 4.7.1 port and the port no longer finds textures. They were as usual, in the root of the program, in the TEXTURES folder. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

49 minutes ago, aivar242 said:

They were as usual, in the root of the program, in the TEXTURES folder. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

That's actually not the usual place textures go, they are supposed to be in a wad or pk3 file, you then load these as a mod like any other. You'll need to go back to where you supposedly got these textures from and get a compatible archive for them.

I understand you. I had a .pk3 archive, but I specially unpacked it and pulled out the Textures folder, into the root of the port, so that it would be convenient for me to change different textures and see how they look in the game. I have a Texture folder, just unpacked to the root of the port and in old versions of the port, everything worked.

That strikes me as a thing that only accidentally worked, or you're missing something important you changed. Doom and its ports in general don't load loose files automatically unlike Quake and such after it, and to the best of my knowledge GZDoom hasn't added. At one point you could make it load a folder by pointing to one as if it was a PK3 archive, but it has to be explicitly loaded by the user via the -file parameter, not automatic, and it's generally not a desirable method to distribute mods so it comes with a few limitations, such as it can't be used in place of an IWAD.

Yes, I know all this. But I myself accidentally uploaded textures to the TEXTURES folder and they immediately started working. I understand that this is related to Lumps, in the GZDoom port. If the LUMP is standard, for example: TEXTURES, FLATS, SOUNDS, then they do not need to be mounted to the port, and if, for example: MUSIC, SPRITES, then the port does not understand such and they need to be mounted via -file.
   In the latest version of the port, serious changes have occurred, the Vulcan engine has appeared. That's when everything stopped working. I think the problem will be solved.

18 minutes ago, aivar242 said:

Yes, I know all this. But I myself accidentally uploaded textures to the TEXTURES folder and they immediately started working. I understand that this is related to Lumps, in the GZDoom port. If the LUMP is standard, for example: TEXTURES, FLATS, SOUNDS, then they do not need to be mounted to the port, and if, for example: MUSIC, SPRITES, then the port does not understand such and they need to be mounted via -file.
   In the latest version of the port, serious changes have occurred, the Vulcan engine has appeared. That's when everything stopped working. I think the problem will be solved.

I'm sorry but I don't understand anything you just said. You seem to using the word mount a lot but it doesn't really have any meaning here.

Look, gzdoom has no method to automatically load directories, that's not a thing. Whatever you had before was either some weird bug or you configured some method to automatically load the directory that you've entirely forgotten about. You must load the directory just like any other mod, that's the only way this works.

If the HR/HD textures are from the jDoom Hires texture pack you'll get them working with GZDoom 4.7.1 if you create a new folder inside your GZDoom folder:

g:\GZDoom_folder\new_folder

Then move your unzipped HR texture folder(s) (named "TEXTURES" and "FLATS"?) into that new_folder folder.
Then rename the "TEXTURES" folder to "HIRES" so that you've a folder structure:

g:\GZDoom_folder\new_folder\HIRES
g:\GZDoom_folder\new_folder\FLATS

and all the images are as:
g:\GZDoom_folder\new_folder\HIRES\ashwall.png

Then run GZDoom with command:

GZDoom.exe -file new_folder

I figured it out. Here's what I learned on the forum zdoom.org.