Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoIdeaGuy

LAN Doom using Odamex

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with this and was hoping for some easy step by step for a newbie.  Everything I see assumes some knowledge of the programs on offer but alas, I have no experience with these software options.

I have downloaded DOOM II from GOG and have installed it on my PC although to run it I seem to have to use GOG Launcher.

I have also downladed Odamex from someones suggestion here.

I found that if I place DOOM II wad file into a WADS folder on my PC desktop and tell Odamex where the wads are that I can also launch Doom 2 inside Odamex....and it looks crisper which I like.

Anyway I have multiple PCs  on my LAN.  I want to now host a game for myself and my son.  So apart from putting the Doom 2 wad file on his PC what do I need to do ?

Someone mentioned in another thread that I launch a sever game...but HOW do I launch a server game ...I'm totally lost.   

I can IP network stuff, I have knowlegde to get IP addresses, manipulate my router and what not but I do not wish to host an internet game.  Its just me and my son next to me.

So do I also put Odamex on his PC ?  (I assume so)

Someone also mentioned launching a server game from Doom Explorer....I downloaded that but I am also lost.

Some sites say running multiplayer is as easy as pressing escape from Doom and selecting "multiplayer"  however I see no option to do that.

Any idiots guide to setup in my scenario would be awesome.  I am not interested in online ability...simply LAN only (pc to pc and mybe a 3rd PC down the line).

Thanks in advance

Edited by NoIdeaGuy

Hi, I'll be happy to assist you:

Yes, install Odamex on your son's PC. He will need the client as well.

After that, run "odasrv" (the Odamex server) on your PC and use commands in odasrv to set the game up how you want. Basically odasrv is the server that runs the game world and keeps everything in sync, and your and your son's Odamex client connect to it to communicate. There is a folder called config-samples in your Odamex folder that has some commonly used configurations for public servers you can tinker with and modify to your liking.

You can tell odasrv to load a configuration file as you start odasrv. A configuration file is basically a dump of personalized commands that tell odasrv how to act. Examples would be if you want co-op or deathmatch, if you want jumping and mouse aim, etc. If you are familiar with command line, use odasrv.exe +exec coop-modern.cfg. You can make sure odasrv finds this file by putting it in the same folder as odasrv.

A second alternative is to launch odasrv and then tell it to load a config file. You can do this by placing the config file in the same folder as odasrv and using "exec" to launch it, for example "exec coop-modern.cfg"

The final alternative is if you input commands into odasrv one by one. You will want to set "sv_usemasters 0" to keep the server from going public. After that, type the commands you want in the server console.

Once you get the server launched, all PCs connected can launch Odamex (the client) and open the console with ~ and type "connect localhost" to connect to the server.

I typed this kind of fast, but I hope I explained it OK. If you need more help feel free to join the Odamex discord on odamex.net and we will be happy to assist you more in-depth. There are also more resources here: https://odamex.net/wiki/How_to_run_a_server

Edited by Hekksy

9 minutes ago, Hekksy said:

Once you get the server launched, all PCs connected can launch Odamex (the client) and open the console with ~ and type "connect localhost" to connect to the server.

In addition just to be clear, on the PC that isn't running the server, you use the ip address or hostname of the server PC in place of localhost. So for example "connect 192.168.0.55" (local network ip addresses always start with 192.168. on a typical configuration).

And if for some reason the connect command doesn't work, tell your son to use odalaunch to see the server and connect to it. Odalaunch should detect a lan server and allow him to connect to it. You will need to tell Odalaunch where Odamex is in File > Settings > File Locations

Thanks you to both of you for this.  I appreciate the advice.  My wife and son look at me and say "gee you have programming and networking back ground but you can't work this out".  Its hard to explain to them that unless I spend my time doing specifically this.....that I don't generically know LOL!  Yes my IP range is 192.168.0  and I have machines set to static so I will host it on my PC  192.168.0.10...he's .11.

Thanks again I appreicate the help...it will give us a shortcut to what we want to achieve and we can always build on that.

OK just one question...when you say run "odasrv"  I assume you mean the program I see called Odamex Server?  If so when I run it (either just clicking on the icon or right clicking and running as administrator) nothing happens.  A little flick up on my screen comes up (or as admin asks me for permission to run it) but no window actually opens.   I have turned off both my firewall and anitvirus but no joy.  The only program in the Odamex suite I can run is the Launcher.

I did jump into a command line and run it this way then run the client.  pressed ~ and manage to jump into the game so I'll now try on my sons PC.  Getting closer

Edited by NoIdeaGuy

26 minutes ago, NoIdeaGuy said:

OK just one question...when you say run "odasrv"  I assume you mean the program I see called Odamex Server?  If so when I run it (either just clicking on the icon or right clicking and running as administrator) nothing happens.  A little flick up on my screen comes up (or as admin asks me for permission to run it) but no window actually opens.   I have turned off both my firewall and anitvirus but no joy.  The only program in the Odamex suite I can run is the Launcher.

Well the program filename is literally called odasrv.exe, but yes. Seemingly, you are encountering an error and the program is closing straight after, given it's a CLI program and by default the windows command prompt does not leave such a window open when the application exits. You'll need to run odasrv.exe manually from the Command Prompt (or Powershell or Windows Terminal) to have the contents stay open to see the reason why it's closing.

15 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Well the program filename is literally called odasrv.exe, but yes. Seemingly, you are encountering an error and the program is closing straight after, given it's a CLI program and by default the windows command prompt does not leave such a window open when the application exits. You'll need to run odasrv.exe manually from the Command Prompt (or Powershell or Windows Terminal) to have the contents stay open to see the reason why it's closing.

Thanks - I now worked out that was probbaly the case.  Seems to work with just me jumping in I can see the console window logging when I enter etc.  I can manage to switch on cheats for example....so I'll now try with my son when he gets off Roblox.

Thanks all for the advice and help....much appreciated and I'll be sure to explore and offer my own assistance down the line.

Hi @NoIdeaGuy,

• Odasrv is quickly closing because it is throwing an error. I would bet that it's because it can't find an IWAD. An IWAD is one of the main game files e.g. doom.wad, doom2.wad.
  • Once you get odasrv looking at your IWAD, it will load with a console window that looks something like this: image.png.378ff08ad42ce53d8332eaaa3f4eaf65.png
  • As was suggested above, you can grab one of the sample coop configs from the config folder. You do not have to move the config to your folder. You can load it by doing the following command: exec ./config-samples/coop-modern.cfg
    • You can load any config there, but this is my recommendation for coop with your son.
    • Here is an example of what it should look like and the type of result you will see: image.png.248a6e3245f982bbf9ae9d9d00b8fed0.png

• Your server is now running. Odasrv is what we call a "console" application so it runs in an oldschool DOS looking window like you see above. Changes are passed via commands, which it seems you have already found some of them.
    • If you want to play Doom 1, type wad doom.wad. If you want to play Doom 2, type wad doom2.wad. If you eventually want to add custom wad files, for instance a level set for Doom 2, you can load it by typing wad doom2.wad wadname.wad (with wadname.wad being the actual file name).
  • So now you're ready to connect your clients. Since Odasrv is running on your local computer, connecting for you should be easy. Load the Odamex client (odamex.exe), drop the console using the key, and type connect localhost. Your client should connect to your server.
  • Your son can connect a few different ways. The first is through the Odamex Launcher (odalaunch.exe) which should automatically detect your server as a LAN server.
    • However, some routers screw this up so he can connect manually. You need your local network IP. To find this, hold the Windows key on your keyboard and press R. The run dialog will appear. Type cmd and press enter. This will bring up the command prompt (which will look very similar to odasrv). Type ipconfig and press enter. In the results, you will receive an IPv4 address that is the address of YOUR computer. This is what your son will have to connect to. Your son should start Odamex just as you did but instead connect to your IP. For instance, my local computer IP is 192.168.50.53. Someone on my network would use the console command connect 192.168.50.53. Example of ipconfig results highlighted below.
    • image.png.25c76b960b50d60afc82a7c5e68e7fab.png
  • From there, Odamex should automatically load the wads on connect and you can begin playing! Hope I've made this as easy as possible for you. Please let me know if you have any other issues and I'll do what I can to get you guys in a game and off the forums. Happy fragging :)

Thanks for all the help.  Got it all working now so wasn't too bad to work out.  I'll work out some shortcuts for the DIRs in command window to get there easier.