Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skittle

Choosing Only 5 wads to Play Forever

42 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Then probably I'd email my government, ask for an evac (via Google Maps location) and when I got home, play all the WADS I wanted :P

yea duh id do that too but this is just imaginary shit lol

Empyrion
Ancient Aliens
Doom Hack
Complex Doom
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... IDK DTS-T I guess.

40 minutes ago, DarkIceCyclone said:

Even easier: find doombuilder, make wads myself

The next question: which five texture or midi packs would you pick on a desert island… 

Dodging the question on a technicality is a time-honored tradition that some bonehead always has to give in to.

Anyway:
- Sunlust: I could just play the first episode of this forever, at this point it's just what I default to when I want the tightest design ever. And there's also a whole two episodes that I've only touched a handful of times and cherry-picked maps out of.

- Elysion: I had a revelation recently that made me realize this is better than No Chance (which was my previous D-D favorite). I think it was the acid rain and the midi.

- Unloved: An eternal study in converting horror aestheticism into Doom.

- Archvile Jump: Admittedly, I prefer impromptu and improvised AVJs to break maps more than intended AVJs, but still.... if I'm stuck with 5 wads forever, one of them needs to be dedicated to my favorite tech.

- Deus Vult: A true adventure that lasts forever.

Considerations, for fun:

Spoiler

Grove, Stardate 20x6, Stardate 20x7, NoSp3, Sunder, Wormwood, A.L.T., Rush, Scythe (purely for episode 3)

Ancient Aliens 

Alien Vendetta 

Plutonia 2 

Sunlust 

Eternal Doom

1. BTSX Episode 1
  2. BTSX Episode 2
  3. Eviternity
  4. Ancient Aliens
  5. Literalism (Obviously because I hosted it and am super proud of the end result.)

Abandon - Picking this one for sheer content, first playthrough must've been in the 40-50 hour range. Consistently (mostly) fun fights
Finely Crafted Fetish Film - Too much variety to ignore, and maxing map 7 should keep me busy for about a month :p
Fractured Worlds - Just excellent all round
Sunlust - Haven't even played it in months but it's sunlust, it's just good
Alien Vendetta - With midi pack if I can sneak it in, something 'easy' so I don't completely lose my mind

TNT.wad

Plutonia.wad

Heretic.wad

Hexen.wad

Hexdd.wad

Assuming this is only for Doom (and IWADs don't count):

Scythe 2

ALT

Doom Zero

Three's A Crowd

No End in Sight

3 hours ago, Captain POLAND said:

Okuplok

I'm amazed this is the first oku mention

6 hours ago, RHhe82 said:

The next question: which five texture or midi packs would you pick on a desert island… 

Nonr dinvr I haven't gotten that far yet. But if I'd have to choose one, whatever AstroX is using would be my first choice

13 hours ago, noob_killer012345678 said:

pffft screw choosing 5 wads to play forever. Choose 4, and use the last wad time to get a doom modder/mapper/editor and make your own. boom! Infinite wads!

Heh, I suppose that'd be a pretty easy way to bulk up on your mapmaking skills to huh? Didn't think of that.

13 minutes ago, DarkIceCyclone said:

Nonr dinvr I haven't gotten that far yet. But if I'd have to choose one, whatever AstroX is using would be my first choice

psst: instead of choosing 5 textures and/or midis. get a texture and midi editor and make your own

Compendium because it's a collection of a bunch of old wads (Does this count as cheating?)

Back to Saturn X episodes 1 & 2 because both episodes of BTSX are my favorite wads.

Sunlust, another personal favorite of mine.

Plutonia 2. Everything Plutonia 1 did well Plutonia 2 did better.

19 minutes ago, noob_killer012345678 said:

psst: instead of choosing 5 textures and/or midis. get a texture and midi editor and make your own

sadly not that creative xd yet. come back toi me opn that in 10 years xd

Compendium

The Sentinel's Lexicon

Ashes Afterglow

Hell-Forged

Project Osiris

8 hours ago, DarkIceCyclone said:

find Ultimate doombuilder, make wads myself

- alien vendetta

- memento mori ii

- scythe 2

- counterattack (lots of replayability in that one!)

- plutonia 2

I don't know how common my situation is. I suspect not very. But basically I almost exclusively play Oblige levels for the past 2-3 years now.

I have configured Oblige to produce the levels I like. And I have a fairly huge collection of maps, which I sort into three folders: fav, good and average. Sometimes I might edit the level to fix some small things, like an annoying power up that's out of place or a lack of a backpack and stuff like that.

I would say that some of the best Doom I've played have been glorious wads generated by Oblige. And I am sure that 4 out of 5 would be my favorite Oblige maps. The 5th one would be Valiant.

I have chosen them already: The two parts of Memento Mori, Hell Revealed, Alien Vendetta and Eternal. The only other one than these I'd consider is Requiem. 

Spoiler

Yeah, you know I love shotgunning barons lol

My top 5 wads are:

Fragport: Such an adventurous wad because I'm a fan of Stephen Clark and for saying i like fright trains and cities.

Scythe 2: Always like to know how the death exits work and you start over with a pistol in the egyptian temple entryway, the uac base, mister x, and the castle jungle gardens, and wow afterlife 2 made things crazy with a bunch of cyberdemons, and that creepy face that looks like an afrit in disguise. i remember map28 was incomplete all it was, was the player being trapped in a metal box for eternity.

Alien Vendetta: Great to say how fun this wad is with a bunch of big complex maps, including the huge misri halek map 20. gosh that maze like level was confusing but i like it! (Killer Colors uses the green door locks from fragport)

Neodoom: Another wad with city themed maps is the one i enjoy the most! Especially when it comes from the south zone to doom shopping, reminds me of action doom taking place in a city, even in a highway where you drive a swat truck and jump through all the vechicles to get to that army truck and move to the next area.

Super Sonic doom: The number one ultimate doomer map pack! Best ever, But I remember some of the maps like ocean city zone act 2 were lagging my pc when i played i back then. Map28 caused huge amounts of lag in that floor fan/no gravity area where you have to hit those switches to move into the next area. My props 100% Go to stephen clark

La Tailor Girl (technically a .pk3 but I can play the other wads with it so ehh... :3 )

DooM II (Might as well get one of the classics)

DooM [Ultimate] (4 episodes I can goof about with)

PUSS Summer Of Slaughter (Some absolute bangers in that map set, plus I made a map for it. <3)

The Mis-Adventures of Dynamite 6: Floodrene Falls (who says you can't play your own mods? ;) )

Probably difficult, large wads with a variety of aesthetics in them. If I'm stuck on an island I'm probably going to get decent at the game. Valiant, Eviternity, Sunlust, Sunder, scythe 2 maybe. IDK. Might have to spend my time trying to survive on this island. I wonder what % of islands have freshwater? Tom Hanks got pretty lucky with that one.

1. Alien Vendetta

2. Alien Vendetta

3. Alien Vendetta

4. Alien Vendetta

And, um, let me see...

5. ALIEN VENDETTA!!!