Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CittyKat112

My first map

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, so I was screwing around with Doombuilder recently and decided to make my own map after watching a few tutorials. I tested it with PrBoom+, -complevel9 and used The Plutonia Experiment as an IWAD. Since it's my first map, the visuals and architecture are pretty meh... But I didn't care about visuals to be honest, the main point was to make it a challenging map. What you see on the screenshots is the whole map, a small circular arena with teleporters, ammunition and over 5 hundred enemies. At first I wanted to make this map a little bigger and it was supposed to start in a small location that resembled a city that's being invaded by demons and this small arena was supposed to be the last fight before exiting the map. But I quickly ran out of ideas, so I had to leave it at that. I hope you guys will give me some advices on what could be changed (don't talk about the visuals though, that's obvious lol) to make my future maps better. Here's the link: https://www103.zippyshare.com/v/bcTbD1JE/file.html

 

 

 

 

doom04.png

doom05.png

doom06.png

doom07.png

Share this post


Link to post

It's always cool to see someone post their first map. Just a heads up that map releases belong in WADS & Mods (you can report your own post and ask a mod to move it). Good work specifying the iwad, target port and providing screenshots.

 

I tried the map and couldn't find any weapons? I checked in UDB and couldn't find any weapon things anywhere but found lots of ammo, whats the deal?

Share this post


Link to post

link is broken (at least for me), let me know when you upload it again and i ll give it a shot and record it, keep it up :)

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, xvertigox said:

It's always cool to see someone post their first map. Just a heads up that map releases belong in WADS & Mods (you can report your own post and ask a mod to move it). Good work specifying the iwad, target port and providing screenshots.

 

I tried the map and couldn't find any weapons? I checked in UDB and couldn't find any weapon things anywhere but found lots of ammo, whats the deal?

Thanks for the feedback! Should I delete this post and repost it in WADs and Mods? Strange you didn't find any weapons, I placed all of them in the same spot as player start haha. This map supposed to start in a small city location where you would get all of the weapons, but I couldn't think of any good looking layouts so I had to scrap that idea... I was using DoombuilderX 2021.1, I think that may be the case.

Oh, and I used MAP17 slot to get that red sky and Doombuilder's configuration was set to Boom as of making this map.

Edited by CittyKat112 : Added some more info and fixed some spelling mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Zolgia108 said:

link is broken (at least for me), let me know when you upload it again and i ll give it a shot and record it, keep it up :)

FEDEX attached my archive to his comment, does it work? If it did, try to open it in the latest version DoombuilderX or PrBoom+. Also, the proper way to test this map in PrBoom+ is to click on both Hellish Arena Map.wad and PLUTONIA.wad then drag and drop them on the .exe file, start a new game and then use idclev17 (because MAP01 is the first version haha).

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, CittyKat112 said:

FEDEX attached my archive to his comment, does it work? If it did, try to open it in the latest version DoombuilderX or PrBoom+. Also, the proper way to test this map in PrBoom+ is to click on both Hellish Arena Map.wad and PLUTONIA.wad then drag and drop them on the .exe file, start a new game and then use idclev17 (because MAP01 is the first version haha).

hey mate

 

i can't upload the video (too long, it's like 500 mb and it's not that good to see either hahahaha)

Played on plutonia ofc with gz cause i only use gz (i ve got problems i know)

My considerations:

 

1) The first area doesn't make much sense, we are going to play an arena fight, maybe an empty room with all the weapons and ammo would have been better, instead of placing invisible ones with some nonsense zombies. Maybe just place the weapons with invisible ammo, that would be great.

 

2) Progression is fucked up, when i first played the map i cleared everything up (second wave as well with cacoes and archies on the ring) but i didnt touch the archies on the turret cause i thought they were just a "you can't go here" thing, i didn't expect the keys to be INSIDE THEM, i mean, at least give me a hint.

The main issue in this case is that there are some resources in the map and (that i found) a single rad suite, so if you use all of them before killing those guys then you have absolutely no way to grab the keys. Give us a hint (the keys are too hidden because they are inside a lot of archies) and then we can think well on how to manage the resources.

 

3) the archies in the ring with the second wave are just too much, you have no protection in the ring, the FLOOR IS LAVAAAA and you need to rely on pure luck in order to kill them, and they are not 2, they are 6 at least. That's too much, even for me (and i can guarantee that i love archies, but you need to understand their usage, at least put some safe spots to kill them).

 

4) after pressing every possible switch nothing happened to the floors blocking the exit, i didnt know what to do at all, then i randomly wandered around the map and poof one of the floors suddenly disappeared and i could go to the exit, how? i don't know.

 

5) secrets: there are no secrets in the map, and they are always welcome, put at least one, it's a common practice that makes us all happy :P

 

6) at the end of the lava pit there are some invisible walls (which you can see with the map as squares), probably there for monster teleports, but you can actually go there, you should fix that.

 

 

Overall i think that this is a nice first map, an enjoyable slaughter(for the most part) and a solid attempt to make an arena fight, and id like to see more of you.

Please study monster placement for the future, especially the archvile ones, the rest was fine :)

 

 

Have a nice day mate and keep mapping, sorry again for the video!

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, Degree23 said:

So it's a large arena with a lot of ammo no weapons in sight? Not a good idea.

nono once you start the map you get all the weapons and ammo in the first room as soon as you move, they are all in the starting point but they are invisible so you can't see that you grabbed them. Make sure you go to map17 cause map 01 is the first version (i don't really know the differences but in map 01 you start in the arena and in map 17 in a anteroom with a teleporter).

Share this post


Link to post

I'm no mapping expert, but I'll give a stab at some ideas.

 

First thing, please put which map is to be played in your initial post. It was extra confusing in this case because there's something not-quite-right in the MAP01 slot. I figured it out eventually, though, and played MAP17, as seems intended. I would also suggest putting your screenshots inside a spoiler tag, as the post is very long to scroll by otherwise.

 

Second, I realized after the playthrough that I was on the wrong compatibility settings (I used Final Doom compatibility), but that didn't seem to affect gameplay at all, as everything seemed to function fine. In fact, I'm glad I didn't have monsters falling off of the ring or from their perches, so -complevel 4 seems better here, to me. I also didn't see any boom-requiring line actions. Is there a reason you chose boom compatibility that I'm missing?

 

Here are the thoughts I had during the map:

Spoiler

Date: 2021-01-16
File: Hellish Arena Map.wad
Map: 17
Difficulty: Ultraviolence
Source port: DSDA Doom (-complevel 4)

 

Difficulty:

  • The map is large enough that most of the encounters are pretty safe.
  • The main potential difficulty spike is at the baron-HK-arachnotron wave, which has so much more beef and offensive power than any other encounter (save for the AV invasion). The encounter is also long enough that it can't quite be neutered with an invuln like the archviles can.
  • There are enough turret enemies in the initial arrival that things can go sideways if you backtrack and get tagged by an unlucky rocket or revenant missile.
  • I think the difficulty is bumpy because all fights happen in one huge arena, meaning that one fight (baron-HK-arachnotron) seems balanced and set up for it, and the other fights get trivialized due to the massive space. Just changing the arena size doesn't work here, since then the B-HK-A wave becomes too crowded with bodies and projectiles. When making future maps, you may have an easier time regulating this by designing an arena tailored to each encounter. For example, the pinky wave would be much scarier if its arena were linear and I couldn't just back away forever.

Progression:

  • I think someone has already made this comment, but the keys are behind lots of archviles and down out of view, which makes them easy to miss. A more visible location for them is desirable. I would also recommend making them gettable without being required to use a radsuit or take damage from the floor; it's so sad to beat a map and then know you can't walk to the end because of required damaging floor.
  • It would be helpful to communicate that it's possible to teleport back up to the arena from the center via the invuln.
  • I'm not sure why you bother with the three keys at all in this map. They're perfectly gettable after the initial encounter without activiting the auxiliary switches. If you intend for the non-key switches to be required, you may want to gets the exit somehow, requiring use of those switches.
  • Actually, now that I think about it, the fast way to win is: teleport into the arena, run to the invuln in the center of the map, activate the yellow switch, then run through the gap to the exit. This may be an issue for you if you want more of your map to be "required," as you can currently exit doing almost nothing.

Pacing:

  • In my experience, a caco cloud is a hard encounter to do right, and I think your arena suffers a fatal flaw for the caco cloud, due to its massive size. When I'm chopping through the cloud, a bunch of cacos get scattered to the four winds by damage knockback. If you could start the cacos closer and add monster-blocking lines a short distance outside the ring, this would alleviate both the long wait for their arrival and the agonizing mop-up process as the stragglers slowly make their way back to the ring. In general, caco clouds work best when the cacos don't get flung out of the arena.
  • Giving a berserk for the pinky wave makes sense, but thankfully, there's enough ammo for me to go crazy with rockets on them. Berserk is a good thing to make available in general for cleanup duty in a map like this, or for dealing with incidental enemies.

Visuals:

  • You said you didn't want feedback here, but I'll still mention one thing: put the keys and exit somewhere very conspicuous so we don't have to search around. You did this fine with the exit, but the keys could use some work.

Combat:

  • The first arena can be solved entirely with circle-strafing, once a a path is cut through the mancubi and imps. Some circle-strafing at the end is almost inevitable with big fights in big arenas, but there are a lot of enemies to kill once this fight has been "solved." You could probably do with fewer cyberdemons or placing them at different spots in the arena.
  • The pinky wave doesn't really add difficulty, but it can be a bit of a slog.
  • The hell knight, baron, arachnotron wave works very effectively at long range. It also seems balanced such that I don't have an absolute army of one type of monster left at the end, which makes cleanup pretty quick.
  • The caco cloud is not very threatening. I was able to take it down sustaining three hits or so from caco projectiles.
  • The archvile invasion is a classic bit, but it works well here because there is still some threat of being flung off the platform.
  • Given the scale of these fights, I was surprised not to see a non-turret cyberdemon. That's okay; not every map needs a big cyberdemon encounter, but given the long-range nature of the geometry here, I think your arena is well set up for it.

Secrets:

  • Nothing wrong with not having secrets in a map. Some people are even relieved to see that a map has no secrets, because they can very safely not search around for anything.
  • If you wanted to include a secret in this map, the center invuln is a good candidate; it's in a place people aren't likely to go without thinking about it (assuming you obscure the invuln orb a bit), and the reward is helpful, but not necessary.

 

Let me know if I can clarify or elaborate on anything. Overall, you did a good job keeping forward momentum despite the huge enemy counts. I'm interested to see what other arenas you come up with, and whether you stick with slaughter or look into other types of enounters.

Edited by Large Cat

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Zolgia108 said:

hey mate

 

i can't upload the video (too long, it's like 500 mb and it's not that good to see either hahahaha)

Played on plutonia ofc with gz cause i only use gz (i ve got problems i know)

My considerations:

 

1) The first area doesn't make much sense, we are going to play an arena fight, maybe an empty room with all the weapons and ammo would have been better, instead of placing invisible ones with some nonsense zombies. Maybe just place the weapons with invisible ammo, that would be great.

 

2) Progression is fucked up, when i first played the map i cleared everything up (second wave as well with cacoes and archies on the ring) but i didnt touch the archies on the turret cause i thought they were just a "you can't go here" thing, i didn't expect the keys to be INSIDE THEM, i mean, at least give me a hint.

The main issue in this case is that there are some resources in the map and (that i found) a single rad suite, so if you use all of them before killing those guys then you have absolutely no way to grab the keys. Give us a hint (the keys are too hidden because they are inside a lot of archies) and then we can think well on how to manage the resources.

 

3) the archies in the ring with the second wave are just too much, you have no protection in the ring, the FLOOR IS LAVAAAA and you need to rely on pure luck in order to kill them, and they are not 2, they are 6 at least. That's too much, even for me (and i can guarantee that i love archies, but you need to understand their usage, at least put some safe spots to kill them).

 

4) after pressing every possible switch nothing happened to the floors blocking the exit, i didnt know what to do at all, then i randomly wandered around the map and poof one of the floors suddenly disappeared and i could go to the exit, how? i don't know.

 

5) secrets: there are no secrets in the map, and they are always welcome, put at least one, it's a common practice that makes us all happy :P

 

6) at the end of the lava pit there are some invisible walls (which you can see with the map as squares), probably there for monster teleports, but you can actually go there, you should fix that.

 

 

Overall i think that this is a nice first map, an enjoyable slaughter(for the most part) and a solid attempt to make an arena fight, and id like to see more of you.

Please study monster placement for the future, especially the archvile ones, the rest was fine :)

 

 

Have a nice day mate and keep mapping, sorry again for the video!

Thanks for playing my map!

 

1) I had a problem with linedefs after changing the form of the borders to make them look like a mountain and the monster closets with teleporters stopped working - they're supposed to be alerted once you start shooting near those switches, but after the changed were applied they could hear me unless I flipped the linedefs and here's the screenshot that shows what happened after I tried to fix that (screenshot #1)... So the only solution I came up with was to make this room where you should kill the zombiemen to make those monster closets work. I added them because I don't know how to make shootable switches :D 

2) I should've changed that, adding red and blue skull pillars would make it a bit more clear and would also show the player that it's required to jump down there to be able to exit the level... But it was just a test, plus I think that adding those pillars might mess with the arch-viles' ability to attack the player from behind. Still, that's a great point and I should fix those issues.

3) Oh yeah, that's my fav trap in this map! There's a freaking dozen arch-viles in that monster closet and once you flip the switch, six of them will teleport first and the other six archies should teleport within like a couple of seconds. Probably the trickiest fight in the map, they're the reason I added two invulns haha. The best way to fight them is either BFG spam or leaving a lot of corpses near those switches so the arch-viles would be busy resurrecting them or else you'll get blown away from the arena hahahaha. I'm not sure if I'll change that on Ultra-Violence, but I'll definitely tone it down on easier difficulties!

4) I put two linedefs inside those switches (screenshot #2), the first ones prevent you from using them if you don't have keys and other ones will lower those floors. I screwed up those switches because of that, so you have to press the 'use' button at least two times to get them to work properly...

5) I was thinking about it, I wanted to tag invuln in the center of the arena as a secret, but felt like it didn't make sense since you can see right aft er going up the ladders and I couldn't think of any other places I could use to place a secret since the arena is so small haha. 

6) This one? (Screenshot #3) I was going to fix but decided not to because I thought no one's gonna pay attention to that since it's just a test map hahaha. I was going to add more stair floors but didn't try it yet so I'm not sure if that's gonna fix this issue. And thanks again for checking out my map! Honestly, I'm not sure if I'll finish this map, I feel like I should create a map first and think about monster placement and such second, and it was the other way around when I made this map :D Cheers!

doom12.png

image.png

doom13.png

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, CittyKat112 said:

I feel like I should create a map first and think about monster placement and such second, and it was the other way around when I made this map

I actually don't necessarily think is true. If you want to focus the action, building a barebones arena with your desired monster roster is a good thing to do first so that you don't have to fiddle with tons of map geometry or make concessions on the flow of action later.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Large Cat said:

I actually don't necessarily think is true. If you want to focus the action, building a barebones arena with your desired monster roster is a good thing to do first so that you don't have to fiddle with tons of map geometry or make concessions on the flow of action later.

That's a good point! And sorry that it takes me so long to reply, I accidentally refreshed the page when I was responding to your first comment so it'll take awhile before I'll address all of your points in your first post. And thanks for playing my map and for your feedback!

Share this post


Link to post

Hey there thanks for the answer.

 

1) I imagined that the zombies were for the teleportation alert, and during a playthrough i tried walking in without killing them and the result was the same, so i don't think they are needed, double check it to be sure :)

 

3) My problem there was another: i tend to press everything i can and so when i pressed the 4 switches the monsters came alll together! That s what i usually do cause i am a bit crazy, now that the other guy said that the archviles came alone i understand... well in that case the map is TOO EASYYYY.  I mean, if i press one and it's spiders plus hks without archies it's no fun at alll

 

6) at least make them invisible in the automap or else weird people like would surely go there and check!

 

 

Have a nice one :)

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Large Cat said:

 

 

2 hours ago, Large Cat said:

I'm no mapping expert, but I'll give a stab at some ideas.

 

First thing, please put which map is to be played in your initial post. It was extra confusing in this case because there's something not-quite-right in the MAP01 slot. I figured it out eventually, though, and played MAP17, as seems intended. I would also suggest putting your screenshots inside a spoiler tag, as the post is very long to scroll by otherwise.

 

Second, I realized after the playthrough that I was on the wrong compatibility settings (I used Final Doom compatibility), but that didn't seem to affect gameplay at all, as everything seemed to function fine. In fact, I'm glad I didn't have monsters falling off of the ring or from their perches, so -complevel 4 seems better here, to me. I also didn't see any boom-requiring line actions. Is there a reason you chose boom compatibility that I'm missing?

 

Here are the thoughts I had during the map:

  Hide contents

Date: 2021-01-16
File: Hellish Arena Map.wad
Map: 17
Difficulty: Ultraviolence
Source port: DSDA Doom (-complevel 4)

 

Difficulty:

  • The map is large enough that most of the encounters are pretty safe.
  • The main potential difficulty spike is at the baron-HK-arachnotron wave, which has so much more beef and offensive power than any other encounter (save for the AV invasion). The encounter is also long enough that it can't quite be neutered with an invuln like the archviles can.
  • There are enough turret enemies in the initial arrival that things can go sideways if you backtrack and get tagged by an unlucky rocket or revenant missile.
  • I think the difficulty is bumpy because all fights happen in one huge arena, meaning that one fight (baron-HK-arachnotron) seems balanced and set up for it, and the other fights get trivialized due to the massive space. Just changing the arena size doesn't work here, since then the B-HK-A wave becomes too crowded with bodies and projectiles. When making future maps, you may have an easier time regulating this by designing an arena tailored to each encounter. For example, the pinky wave would be much scarier if its arena were linear and I couldn't just back away forever.

Progression:

  • I think someone has already made this comment, but the keys are behind lots of archviles and down out of view, which makes them easy to miss. A more visible location for them is desirable. I would also recommend making them gettable without being required to use a radsuit or take damage from the floor; it's so sad to beat a map and then know you can't walk to the end because of required damaging floor.
  • It would be helpful to communicate that it's possible to teleport back up to the arena from the center via the invuln.
  • I'm not sure why you bother with the three keys at all in this map. They're perfectly gettable after the initial encounter without activiting the auxiliary switches. If you intend for the non-key switches to be required, you may want to gets the exit somehow, requiring use of those switches.
  • Actually, now that I think about it, the fast way to win is: teleport into the arena, run to the invuln in the center of the map, activate the yellow switch, then run through the gap to the exit. This may be an issue for you if you want more of your map to be "required," as you can currently exit doing almost nothing.

Pacing:

  • In my experience, a caco cloud is a hard encounter to do right, and I think your arena suffers a fatal flaw for the caco cloud, due to its massive size. When I'm chopping through the cloud, a bunch of cacos get scattered to the four winds by damage knockback. If you could start the cacos closer and add monster-blocking lines a short distance outside the ring, this would alleviate both the long wait for their arrival and the agonizing mop-up process as the stragglers slowly make their way back to the ring. In general, caco clouds work best when the cacos don't get flung out of the arena.
  • Giving a berserk for the pinky wave makes sense, but thankfully, there's enough ammo for me to go crazy with rockets on them. Berserk is a good thing to make available in general for cleanup duty in a map like this, or for dealing with incidental enemies.

Visuals:

  • You said you didn't want feedback here, but I'll still mention one thing: put the keys and exit somewhere very conspicuous so we don't have to search around. You did this fine with the exit, but the keys could use some work.

Combat:

  • The first arena can be solved entirely with circle-strafing, once a a path is cut through the mancubi and imps. Some circle-strafing at the end is almost inevitable with big fights in big arenas, but there are a lot of enemies to kill once this fight has been "solved." You could probably do with fewer cyberdemons or placing them at different spots in the arena.
  • The pinky wave doesn't really add difficulty, but it can be a bit of a slog.
  • The hell knight, baron, arachnotron wave works very effectively at long range. It also seems balanced such that I don't have an absolute army of one type of monster left at the end, which makes cleanup pretty quick.
  • The caco cloud is not very threatening. I was able to take it down sustaining three hits or so from caco projectiles.
  • The archvile invasion is a classic bit, but it works well here because there is still some threat of being flung off the platform.
  • Given the scale of these fights, I was surprised not to see a non-turret cyberdemon. That's okay; not every map needs a big cyberdemon encounter, but given the long-range nature of the geometry here, I think your arena is well set up for it.

Secrets:

  • Nothing wrong with not having secrets in a map. Some people are even relieved to see that a map has no secrets, because they can very safely not search around for anything.
  • If you wanted to include a secret in this map, the center invuln is a good candidate; it's in a place people aren't likely to go without thinking about it (assuming you obscure the invuln orb a bit), and the reward is helpful, but not necessary.

 

Let me know if I can clarify or elaborate on anything. Overall, you did a good job keeping forward momentum despite the huge enemy counts. I'm interested to see what other arenas you come up with, and whether you stick with slaughter or look into other types of enounters.

Again, thanks for playing my map! The only reason I used MAP17 slot is because I wanted to use that red sky texture hahaha.

Difficulty:

1) Those arch-viles in the back and surprise chaingunners didn't help? I wanted them to prevent the player from 'excessive' circle-strafing...

2) Honestly, I didn't have much of a trouble with any of the fights and most of the time I got killed by revenants and chaingunners. But yeah, this wave is the most balanced since any other wave can be neutered by mindless BFG spam. And this wave is the second most deadly, too.

3) Revs and 4 cybers? Oh yeah, I added them to punish the player for standing in one place for too long or moving too slow, guess that makes the fight a bit RNG dependent and I died quite a lot because of that, but it never felt like it was cheap or unfair to me. I think it's a good way to make the player stay on one's toes and imo it also made the map a bit more tense.

4) To be honest, I only added pinkies because I put a berserk powerup near the switch that unleashes them so I thought it'd feel weird if I replaced them with another enemy type. After some more testing I realized that they can actually serve a purpose (they can be used as a resurrect bait for the last arch-vile wave).

Progression:

1) One of my almost successful runs ended because of this :D I decided to fix that by adding four medikits in each one of those sectors, didn't think about highlighting that you 'kinda' have to drop down there to progress the level.
2) Wanted to add a teleport at first, but I thought that the ammo stash down there is enough of a hint that it's possible to revisit this part of the map. It's a bit counter intuitive, but I felt like a teleporter would feel out of place there for some reason.

3) I didn't know how to end this map, so I decided to make a pillar with an exit teleporter and the 'key hunting' seemed like a good excuse for making that pillar 'inaccessible' (even though you only really need the yellow key that you get once you go through the first teleporter)... So yeah, those keys are just there for the sake of being there :D

4) I like to think about that as an exploit for speedrunners hahahaha. Also, you can accidentally trigger the exit linedef by arch-vile jump (that's how one of my test runs was ruined)! And that's not a big issue to me since UV-maxxers wouldn't use it.

Pacing:
1) This is the worst trap in the map, it's possible to clear everything by taking the rad suit, dropping down in the blood and kill those cacos by spamming BFG balls/rockets. I also used them as a bait for cybers, but that's only an option if you want to conserve ammo and it's more risky since you have to wait for them to get closer to your position so their projectiles would land on cybers.

2) I think it was a good way to telegraph this wave and also it's there so you could heal faster without having to run near surprise chaingunners. That's also one of the reasons I put the green armor right next to the HK-Baron-Arachno wave... The second one being that without the green armor the map didn't feel 'complete' for some reason...

Visuals:

1) Already addressed this one above haha, also I was more worried about people telling my map is ugly because of those ugly looking 'mountains' at the edges hahaha.

Combat:

Since I addressed most of the points mentioned here, I think it's better to only address points 1 and 6, so here goes:

1) I think it made the map better difficulty wise since those cyberdemons require the player to be more aware of what's going on the map and make the player constantly look over one's shoulder. But this also makes the fight a bit RNG but not to the point where you only have to rely on luck to win :D

6) Honestly, I didn't even think about adding a non-turret cyber here and now that I think about it, I think it would make the map a bit more RNG since it's a lot more risky to dodge cyber rockets at a very close range.

Secrets:

1) I'm one of those people :D Seriously, I hate it when I have to spend 5 or 10 extra minutes because I didn't find one or two secrets so I have to stop the game and go to Doomwiki to see where those goddamn secrets are...

2) I was thinking about it, but I felt like it'd be out of place there since you can easily spot the invuln there even though it can be a bit difficult with all those projectiles flying around :D 

Can't think of anything I could add to your post, all of your points are great and I should definitely consider them when I'll start working on my second map! Thanks for the kind words, and again sorry that it took me so long to write a response!!

Edited by CittyKat112 : Fixed a few spelling mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Zolgia108 said:

Hey there thanks for the answer.

 

1) I imagined that the zombies were for the teleportation alert, and during a playthrough i tried walking in without killing them and the result was the same, so i don't think they are needed, double check it to be sure :)

 

3) My problem there was another: i tend to press everything i can and so when i pressed the 4 switches the monsters came alll together! That s what i usually do cause i am a bit crazy, now that the other guy said that the archviles came alone i understand... well in that case the map is TOO EASYYYY.  I mean, if i press one and it's spiders plus hks without archies it's no fun at alll

 

6) at least make them invisible in the automap or else weird people like would surely go there and check!

 

 

Have a nice one :)

Thanks again for the feedback!

1) That's weird, did you punch the air or shoot at the wall before going through that teleport? I just tested and if I don't kill them, there's no arch-vile alert sound and the switches stop working haha.

3) That makes me a really shitty player, cause I got my ass kicked quite a few times while testing my map haha! Is it way too easy because the map allows for constant circle-strafe once you've cleared most of the enemies? I thought the sniping cybers/revs, arch-viles in the back and those chaingunners made circle-strafing a bit more risky, but judging from the replies it didn't really add anything in terms of difficulty...

6) Will take this into consideration if I'll ever make the same mistake when making newer maps haha!

 

Thanks a lot, and have a great day too!

 

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but if map17 is the one that is supposed to be played then you should get rid of map01, it has no weapons and left me thoroughly confused.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, CittyKat112 said:

That's a good point! And sorry that it takes me so long to reply, I accidentally refreshed the page when I was responding to your first comment so it'll take awhile before I'll address all of your points in your first post. And thanks for playing my map and for your feedback!

 

6 hours ago, CittyKat112 said:

Thanks for the kind words, and again sorry that it took me so long to write a response!!

Thanks for taking the time to read through my feedback. While I appreciate the thought process, don't feel the need to respond to every point of feedback you receive, else you could end up doing a lot more work writing that you could use mapping! I try to be very complete with my feedback because I think of it like a document you may hold on to for edits later, but you can respond to my feedback with as much or as little as you like (though at least some form of acknowledgement is very nice).

6 hours ago, CittyKat112 said:

Can't think of anything I could add to your post, all of your points are great and I should definitely consider them when I'll start working on my second map!

I look forward to seeing something new from you!

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but if map17 is the one that is supposed to be played then you should get rid of map01, it has no weapons and left me thoroughly confused.

Yeah, I thought getting rid of MAP01 slot in Doombuilder and exporting it would solve the issue but I was wrong haha. Well, I'll keep that in mind when I'll start working on other maps (hopefully), so I'll probably delete this one or make a 'remake' of my first map since it turned out a lot easier than I expected it to be, judging from the feedback...

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Large Cat said:

 

Thanks for taking the time to read through my feedback. While I appreciate the thought process, don't feel the need to respond to every point of feedback you receive, else you could end up doing a lot more work writing that you could use mapping! I try to be very complete with my feedback because I think of it like a document you may hold on to for edits later, but you can respond to my feedback with as much or as little as you like (though at least some form of acknowledgement is very nice).

I look forward to seeing something new from you!

Totally, I should've addressed the main issues instead of writing that wall of text haha. And thanks! I already started working on my second map, but this time I'm trying to focus more on how this map looks. I planned on making a 5 or 10 level WAD, but instead I'll post my first few maps here once they're done to get some feedback on what could be improved...

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/2/2022 at 2:59 AM, Suitepee said:

https://youtu.be/h0jBQ1MsekU

 

My playthrough starts at 1:03:00. Feel free to give the player weapons next time you decide to create a stupidly difficult slaughter map.

Sorry for not replying to you earlier, I literally saw this today after I decided to read my old posts. The part of the video where you played my map actually made me mad... I don't want to sound rude, but this was a really half-assed attempt at playing this map, you screwed it up yourself by not reading the thread. Which is weird, because you got to the part where someone else uploaded an archive with my map and the solution for your problem was just two replies away, actually the fifth comment made by me in this here thread says:

Quote

FEDEX attached my archive to his comment, does it work? If it did, try to open it in the latest version DoombuilderX or PrBoom+. Also, the proper way to test this map in PrBoom+ is to click on both Hellish Arena Map.wad and PLUTONIA.wad then drag and drop them on the .exe file, start a new game and then use idclev17 (because MAP01 is the first version haha).

You should've guessed that something is wrong after seeing that there's lots of ammo scattered around and no weapons in sight but instead you just made some snarky comments and then started playing with some weapon mod... I watched the stream for a few mins and when you said 'something is missing', I was hoping you'd go back to the topic and will see the solution for your problem with weapons (which would work better than just playing the map with some weapon mod because you would actually play as intended this way). But you didn't, so I skipped to the end, watched it for a few more secs and then closed the video because watching you play and act like the map was unplayable from the start because I made it unplayable and not because you didn't bother to read two more replies in the thread was pretty annoying. Surely the map wouldn't be a lot better have you actually put a tiny bit more effort, but at least you'd know it's beatable. Sorry if I sounded rude, but I honestly can't put it any other way at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, CittyKat112 said:

Sorry for not replying to you earlier, I literally saw this today after I decided to read my old posts. The part of the video where you played my map actually made me mad... I don't want to sound rude, but this was a really half-assed attempt at playing this map, you screwed it up yourself by not reading the thread. Which is weird, because you got to the part where someone else uploaded an archive with my map and the solution for your problem was just two replies away, actually the fifth comment made by me in this here thread says:

You should've guessed that something is wrong after seeing that there's lots of ammo scattered around and no weapons in sight but instead you just made some snarky comments and then started playing with some weapon mod... I watched the stream for a few mins and when you said 'something is missing', I was hoping you'd go back to the topic and will see the solution for your problem with weapons (which would work better than just playing the map with some weapon mod because you would actually play as intended this way). But you didn't, so I skipped to the end, watched it for a few more secs and then closed the video because watching you play and act like the map was unplayable from the start because I made it unplayable and not because you didn't bother to read two more replies in the thread was pretty annoying. Surely the map wouldn't be a lot better have you actually put a tiny bit more effort, but at least you'd know it's beatable. Sorry if I sounded rude, but I honestly can't put it any other way at the moment.

To be fair, you should have included the map17 thing in the original post, people have many different reasons to not read the replies under a thread, the one that comes off the top of my head is spoilers, but there could be others.

You could also update your original post and add this information, that way everyone who reads the post will know what to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, %some random internet shkila said:

To be fair, you should have included the map17 thing in the original post, people have many different reasons to not read the replies under a thread, the one that comes off the top of my head is spoilers, but there could be others.

You could also update your original post and add this information, that way everyone who reads the post will know what to do.

People can also have many reasons not to edit their posts after they've been abandoned for a long time. In my case, everyone who engaged with the post at the time it was published knew how to make things work as they were supposed to, I got all the feedback I needed and everyone just moved on to other things so I didn't feel the need to edit anything as I didn't expect anyone to comment on this old post. And I think you could guess that two of my replies after xvertigox pointed out the map didn't have any weapons weren't spoilers because they were made by me (this probably sounds a bit stupid, but I think it's obvious there wouldn't be any spoilers that early in the thread).

And hey, I know I sounded like an asshole there and hope my previous comment will get deleted. I hope John won't take it personal as I still appreciate him taking the time to play my map and if he does, then I apologize. Because I really got butthurt over this, so yeah... But in all honesty, it wouldn't be that hard or time consuming to read a couple more replies before playing the map. Yeah, it's my fault I didn't think someone might see the post after a long time and decide to give my map a try, but as I said, I didn't expect that to happen. Peace.

Edited by CittyKat112

Share this post


Link to post

So it seems that I played the wrong version of your map. I shall make amends asap.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Suitepee said:

So it seems that I played the wrong version of your map. I shall make amends asap.

I hope you're not going to give it another ago because this map is a typical beginner map. And it also has some bugs (key activated switches don't work properly), progression is obscure (blue and red keys are on the platforms with arch-viles near the starting room) and the combat consists solely of strafe running. Don't waste your time on it again, it's not worth the effort.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Suitepee said:

https://youtu.be/ovifgJJRcmY

 

Playthrough starts at 2:20, this time on the correct map. While a bit basic to some degree, overall not a bad first slaughter arena type map.

Thanks! I used MAP17 slot because of the sky lol.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×