Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WaKa

Doom 64 is flawed

8 hours ago, Edward850 said:

As far as we know, the FOV between Doom64 and PC Doom is the same, 90 degrees. Particularly aggressive TV overscan might give off the perception of it being lower, however.

PSX Doom uses a 90 degree FOV also. I don't think the choice of 90 degrees is any accident either; for PSX Doom at least it simplifies some operations against the left and right view frustum planes because the slope of their lines is +/- 1.

On 1/23/2022 at 9:14 PM, Muusi said:

Why it's not as good as PSX Doom? Because PSX Doom has the classic sprites but it uses the far better music and sound effects like D64. I also love the old maps that are greatly enhanced by the colored lighting.

Well, it still has the simplified levels and textures of the Jaguar version though.

PSX DOOM also has the issue of it's levels looking way too stretched horizontally.

There's also the issue of doors and elevators moving at a very low frame rate.

The colored lighting isn't that great either because you don't get smooth transitions of it. You get a green looking room, a blue looking room, etc, and the transition between them is very abrupt. DOOM 64 has better and smoother colored lighting tbh.

Edited by TasAcri

I’m probably in the minority here, but I absolutely love 64’s UAC techbase levels. They remind me a lot of the grim tones touched upon in movies like Event Horizon and Cube, a certain strain of “sci-fi horror”.

As for the rest? Fan-fucking-tastic and realized Hell levels, tone, and atmosphere. I miss some of the weirder parts touched upon in E3’s Inferno but what they’ve created here in 64 is incredible.

A lacking roster, a few missing sprites - I wasn’t bothered by these as much as I was expecting. The weapon and enemy changes were more than enough to keep me happy.

I just finished it for the first time a week ago, and now I have a heavy addiction to Aubrey Hodges music; half the time the music is perfectly complimenting the tone and atmosphere, and the other half is being *responsible* for it! I’m planning on playing through the other ports he did music for.

The Baron spam, true. That would be my one issue with Doom 64. Maybe the fact that the palette swap between Zombiemen and Shotgunners is indeed almost indistinguishable, but there's an actual difference. I made a mod for Doom 64EX that changes the Shotgunner palette to a black shirt instead, with that the problem is that the game is so dark you can barely see him now, that's why the palette swap is originally so subtle.

In regards to level design, I feel Doom II is FAR worse, like the city levels are absolutely atrocious and nothing in Doom 64 comes close to be as annoying at Downtown, Industrial Zone or The Chasm can be.

The lack of enemies, yeah, I miss them too, and I feel they tried to compensate with dart traps for the missing Revenants. With that being said, I thought the traps are pretty cool and add an extra element to it. The deadly traps at the end of levels are not a new thing for Doom 64, remember Tricks and Traps from Doom II?

The art style, it's pretty good and I like the new approach, although yeah, I'm kind of conflicted with some of the enemy design.

About the sound effects, yeah, I like the original PC version ones more, but from what I've seen, there's quite a large audience that favors what Aubrey Hodges did for the sound effects for the PSX version of Doom and Doom 64 over Robert Prince's work. To the point that I've been criticized because I dared to mod the PSX version to have the PC version sound effects instead. Unlike PSX Doom though, where I feel they're completely out of place, I feel in Doom 64 they work really well alongside the new art style, and it feels fresh. And yeah, the demons active sound is almost identical to one of the zombies wake up sounds on the PC version and it's VERY confusing at first.

I love Doom 64, it's my second favorite Doom game after Doom 1.

Also, about Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal. The one thing that's vastly overrated on those games is the soundtrack. Yeah, apparently everybody loves it but I really dislike it. The game wasn't released THAT long ago (compared to the old ones at least) and it already sounds dated as hell. I wasn't really enjoying Doom 2016 until I decided to mute the music and play the Doom 1 soundtrack instead. Also, the fanservice is cringy.

On 1/27/2022 at 6:03 AM, CoTeCiO said:

Also, about Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal. The one thing that's vastly overrated on those games is the soundtrack. Yeah, apparently everybody loves it but I really dislike it.

THANK YOU.

I thought i was the only one disliking the music in those games.

I really don't get why everyone went nuts about it. There is no melody or memorable rhythm... Just a bunch of random industrial and over-distorted metal samples. I guess people like it because it sounds "hard" and edgy? I can't think of something else.

28 minutes ago, TasAcri said:

I really don't get why everyone went nuts about it.

That's what we call personal Preference.

28 minutes ago, TasAcri said:

There is no melody or memorable rhythm... Just a bunch of random industrial and over-distorted metal samples. I guess people like it because it sounds "hard" and edgy? I can't think of something else.

I personally love the soundtrack for Doom 2016 and Eternal because of the Atmosphere and pounding beats that frame the frantic Action. It's very different to the usual Orchestral Epic soundtracks found in games of this era.

Pro Tip: Music doesn't always have to be melodic and traditionally structured.

So no it's not a simple as you seem to make it out to be.

Its fine if you don't like it, but framing as people who like it are just Edgy LOL is just silly. if you ' can't think of something else" thats on you.

On 1/27/2022 at 5:03 AM, CoTeCiO said:

Also, about Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal. The one thing that's vastly overrated on those games is the soundtrack. Yeah, apparently everybody loves it but I really dislike it. The game wasn't released THAT long ago (compared to the old ones at least) and it already sounds dated as hell. I wasn't really enjoying Doom 2016 until I decided to mute the music and play the Doom 1 soundtrack instead. Also, the fanservice is cringy.

It is just a Matter of Taste and i think it is perfect as it is.

Nowadays they tend to make Stuff to serve everyone and that makes everything bland and forgetable.

Even the "epic" Music has becoming boring, because they overuse it.

In the Expansions to Eternal the Music is more "normal Metal" and the Music just does not stick in my Head.

I like plenty of the ambient music for the new Dooms but next to none of the combat tracks, so I just turn the music off and play the appropriate ambient track for the level via Youtube.

On 1/28/2022 at 6:08 AM, Azuris said:

It is just a Matter of Taste and i think it is perfect as it is.

Nowadays they tend to make Stuff to serve everyone and that makes everything bland and forgetable.

Even the "epic" Music has becoming boring, because they overuse it.

In the Expansions to Eternal the Music is more "normal Metal" and the Music just does not stick in my Head.

Yeah, that's true. I'm sorry if I came out as arrogant on my earlier post. I just was quite disappointed with the soundtrack and the game in general. I didn't have a capable PC back in 2016, so it took me four years to play the game for the first time, and I avoided spoilers, videos and even screenshots, because I wanted to experience it fully and discover the game by myself. In the end it was kind of upsetting because it felt underwhelming in various aspects, but my main issue was with the soundtrack, but yeah, it is indeed a matter of taste. I am just more inclined to the old school brand of metal than this newer djent/dubstep or however it's called stuff, and it just doesn't cut it for me.

Man, I could do my own post like the OP here, but about Doom 2016 xD