Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wesleyjohnson

Doom Legacy 1.48.10

Been trying to get this release out since September, but testing would always find one more bug.

1.48.10 Files:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/doomlegacy/files/1.48.10/

Whatsnew:

1.48.10 SVN1612 (2021-12-30)

FEATURES 1.48.10

Support for DeepBSP V4 extended nodes (based on crispy doom).
Also ZDoom extended nodes (based on code from woof 1.2.0), supporting uncompressed, and compressed nodes (when zlib is present).

Allows playing several wads, such as Avactor, and Lost Civilization, that are otherwise playable by DoomLegacy, but use extended nodes for several of their maps.
Code provided by Michael Bäuerle (FR_0095).

Added the blockmap generation code provided by Michael Bäuerle (FR_0096).
Some of the code is borrowed from crispy doom, altered a bit by Michael Bäuerle to suit DoomLegacy, and then totally mangled by WJ.

A blockmap control has been put into the menu.
* Vanilla: Load the blockmap, preserves blockmap tricks.
* Large: On large blockmaps (error prone), Generate the blockmap instead.
* Generate: Always Generate a blockmap.
* Auto: Try to Load the blockmap, upon significant errors then Generate a blockmap.

The hardware sky draw (OpenGL, etc.) now uses the extended textures.
The scaling and alignment of the sky in hardware draw has been made consistent with software draw.
The sky movement from head turning is greatly reduced. There is still some horizontal wander.

The hardware sky still does not change when the player is Invulnerable.
The hardware draw sky does not support the necessary multiple colormaps right now.

A dehacked thing translation command line switch, -dehthing.
This selects the dehacked translation for thing numbers in the range 138 to 150.
This overrides the Automatic translation detection.

* legacy : DoomLegacy untranslated
* boom : translate things according to Boom
* prboom : Boom and Beta things
* ee : Eternity Engine things

A separate supplementary wad is provided that has dog sprites and sounds.
Specified before a wad, it provides default dog sprites and sounds.
Specified after a wad, it replaces the dog sprites in a wad.

More ports now allow a second mouse.
This allows using PC, mousesystems, and PS2 type mice.
The ports that have the second mouse support are SDL, WIN32, and X11.

The Linux X11 port got a total rewrite of sfx sound.
It previously was only supporting OSS sound, and ESD sound.
Can now select between  OSS, ALSA, ESD, PulseAudio, and JACK sound devices using the sound menu.
For music, can now select between MIDI, TiMidity, FluidSynth, external MIDI, FM_Synth, and AWE32_Synth, using the sound menu.
This depends upon which support got compiled into the program, as selected in the make_options file.

Many of the options are untested.
The last two Synth options depend on older specific sound cards, and will not be included in released binaries.
I don't have an external MIDI device to test with, and JACK wants to take over the entire sound system.

BUG FIXES 1.48.10

Added failure detection for setting drawmode from config file.
If the config file drawmode fails then use a window at native bpp.
This used to fail ungracefully.

Improved Gcc10 compilation, eliminating most of the nuisance messages.
Fixed usages of snprintf, and strncpy.
Fixed bug 0671.

The Clang compiler caught some mistakes.
The old code probably did work.
Fixed bug 0672.

Fixed where the program is stuck in client mode.
Once having tried to connect as client, the program would not go back
to server mode, not even when starting a netgame as server.
A symptom was the player wait count being initialized to 99.
Fixed to set server mode.
Fixes bug 0677.

Players were kicked during netgame when their blood splat setting
was different than the server.
As it was desireable to allow players to turn off blood splats independently of the server setting, this was fixed by making the off code call P_Random appropriately.
This also fixes a demo consistency error.
Fixes bug 0678.

Changed the netgame repair function to correctly report differences in random number settings for the server.
The message syntax was only appropriate for the client, displaying reversed server/client values at the server.

Adding extended nodes fixed several bugs.
Fixes bug #657, due to DeepBSP V4 extended nodes.
Fixes the segfault in Eviternity.wad Map15 and Map32, due to use of uncompressed ZDoom extended nodes.

Fixed dehacked code to read Avactor.wad dehacked lump.
Increased the dehacked buffer length to 1028.
Made all the string comparisons caseless.
Adopted some logic from PrBoom and Eternity regarding exiting sections on a blank line.
Detect "//" lines as comments.

Fixed the hardware draw to limit lights at 0..255.
Some wad editors put in a default light value of 256.
This fixes some wads, like Avactor.wad, which has light values
of 256 for some sectors. These would show up as black sectors.
Most ports allow the light field to exceed 255, allowing some lighting tricks (that few wads take advantage of).

In Avactor.wad, there are an excessive number of BSP partition lines that miss the subsector.

In this case the hardware draw BSP must determine if the subsector poly is to the right, or to the left of the divide line.
This must match the BSP partitioning, as those poly will be assigned to the front sector, and back sector.
Sometimes it was testing a vertex on the divline, leading to the poly being assigned to the wrong subsector.
This fixes a missing floor in Avactor.wad (Map04, sector 1757).

Fixed some bad subsector draws for hardware-draw in Avactor.wad (Map05 sector 1502).  These were using the wrong sector to draw the subsector.
For the polygons that do not have a linedef as a side, there must be a search of all linedefs to find one that indentifies the sector that this subsector is within.
The test needed to be more robust for large maps.

Lost Civilization uses some masked textures on upper textures and single sided walls.  This is not entirely valid usage, but it happens.
The software render draws black in the missing portions of the texture.
With hardware render, OpenGL, this shows sky through the wall.
Fixed the hardware render to also draw black in this usage.

Fixed the menu selected extra dogs, to be spawned using the correct type code.  This fix was revised three times, as more problems with dehacked dogs arose.
Fixes bug 0681.

Fixed the rocket in Valiant.wad.  It uses dehacked thing numbers from Beta versions, that are valid in PrBoom, but in Doom Legacy they match thing numbers for Dogs, smoke, and other Legacy specific things.

Implemented dehacked detection that translates these to more appropriate DoomLegacy things.
This affects dehacked things in Lost Civilization, Avactor, Valiant, and especially antaxyz.

Always include the missing sprite detect, from Debug.
Often the dog sprite is missing from the wad.

Made Voodoo card support optional.
The base code is no longer tied to support for Glide.

Fix Load savegame menu controls to allow ESCAPE
from the Load savegame after changing to another directory.

Edited by wesleyjohnson

Yep, forgot the link.   Thanks, adding it to original post.

The common is common to all binaries, and it is only going to get more complicated.

I do not like to have to maintain duplicates of stuff.

We had a problem with many people forgetting to get the common dowload too, so there are reminders everywhere in the docs now.

We got them trained now, not good to just change it again.

The button is probably just pointing to the first item.  Previously it would point to an older version, and we could not change it.  Happy that it is at least pointing to one of the current version files.  The SourceForge site, and file download is under the control of another team member, so I can not meddle with it anyway.

The aspect ratio seems normal on my ACER wide monitor (1920x1080).

The aspect ratio depends on what format it thinks it is displaying.  If your monitor is wider yet, and stretches stuff to fit, then it will be off.

I run Linux, and this is developed on Linux.

The people who make SDL have dealt with Windows, so I do not have to.

We could use someone with Windows programming experience to provide code for loading the LIBZIP, and ZLIB libraries, or equivalents.

I do not have a gaming video card, so I find that the software draw is faster than OpenGL.

Of course, that also means that it is written to run reasonably well on moderate hardware.

Edited by wesleyjohnson

6 hours ago, wesleyjohnson said:

The aspect ratio seems normal on my ACER wide monitor (1920x1080).

The aspect ratio depends on what format it thinks it is displaying.  If your monitor is wider yet, and stretches stuff to fit, then it will be off.

I run at 1366x768, 1280x720 is also very wrong. It looks horizontally stretched at least on windows, this is on a Radeon R2 BTW.

And i think someone should test it on Win since you're doing a windows release and it's where most potential users are. What about Wine?

I think the fullscreen mode that you are displaying is 1024x768.  1366x768 is not a supported video mode.

The video modes supported.

(1280,1024)

(1024,768)

(800,600)

(640,480)

(512,348)

(400,300)

(320,200)

I your monitor is like mine, there is a setting in it to tell it NOT to stretch a mode like 1024,768 to fit the screen.   It should display it with black bars on each side.

Edited by wesleyjohnson

The 1366x768 mode appears in the modes menu, 1048x768 doesn't. It's a very common resolution for laptops if not the most.

The modes you mention in the list are 4:3 not widescreen. 1024x768 works well but nowadays widescreen support is a must for advanced ports IMO.

Does your port support borderless fullscreen?  That would allow the game to use whatever resolution you want to output, while automatically stretching it to the native desktop resolution.

When switching to Windowed mode, I'd like the window to automatically be in the center of the screen, instead of the upper left corner. 

Is it possible to do this? 

Thanks!

There are several problems with wide screen modes that have not yet been solved.

One is that the maximum draw mode width is still tied to the drawing mechanism.

The second is that deathmatch support is very dedicated to keeping it equal for all players.

If one player had a wider view, it would be an unfair advantage.

Whenever support for wider screens comes about, keeping it fair for everyone will have to be dealt with.

It is going to be a non-trivial problem.  It does no good to only consider popularity or possibility.  If it is allowed that someone may be playing at 800x600, then

someone with a wider screen will have an unfair advantage.

I also expect that the rendering far from the center of a wide screen is going to have significant distortion.

For fullscreen, DoomLegacy draws some things with borders, and some things without borders.

This was crafted long ago to put a correct aspect ratio display (correctly as possible) in the middle of the fullscreen (according to the video mode it is drawing).

Pages like the intro and help, are allowed to be stretched.

If the video mode that DoomLegacy is drawing is not native to your monitor, it is your monitor that is adding the black borders.  This is correct, it should not be allowed to stretch the video to fit the screen, as that is much worse.

The window is positioned where the window manager puts it.  You can tell your window manager where it should open new windows.  On Linux, I use XFCE4 window manager.

It will generally put the window in the upper left corner.  If I am debugging and already have the debugger there, it will put DoomLegacy in the upper right corner.

When there are multiple windows and DoomLegacy is a smaller video mode, it will place it to not overlap with existing windows.

While it might be possible to send a request to the window manager to move the window, that is dependent upon the OS and the maybe even the particular window manager.

I do not remember if SDL supports doing that.

I would recommend checking if a program launcher icon, has the provision for window manager positioning.

Request noted, but I do not have an idea right now what I would actually do about it. Considering the existing problems and existing work, this is not going to be tackled soon.

I would recommend submitting feature requests instead of posts here, as the feature requests tend to eventually get addressed, while these posts fall to the bottom of the post listing, and then get forgotten.

https://sourceforge.net/p/doomlegacy/feature-requests/

Fixing the Problem One above has been attempted several times, without success.  Candidate drawing code has ended up with new rendering problems and was worse than the existing render code.   This is one of the existing work-in-progress issues.   The maximum width video mode that is reasonable is dependent upon this problem.

I consider that 800x600 is an good video mode for DoomLegacy.  Detailed enough, fast frame-rate, and compatible with the sprite and texture resolutions.

I have tried 1024x768, but is slows the response time.

Diminishing gains for wider or higher resolution fullscreen modes.

Using windowed mode, when the windows are getting to be too small is a more serious problem.

Stretching the video is not desireable.  It introduces blending, which makes the sharp edges a bit blurry.  The edge between a nearby monster and a distant wall, will get a line of blended wall and monster pixels.  Makes it looked blurred, like it was being viewed through frosted glass.

Edited by wesleyjohnson

11 hours ago, wesleyjohnson said:

The second is that deathmatch support is very dedicated to keeping it equal for all players. 

If one player had a wider view, it would be an unfair advantage. 

Odamex had to deal with this problem as well and came to the following solution.

We have a server variable that can force clients to pillar-box their viewpoints with black bars on the sides, to ensure both players are on equal footing.  However, the server is free to disable this setting if they want, and the players can play knowing that some of them might have a wider FOV that others.

The way I would recommend implementing widescreen letter/pillarboxing is by using screenblocks - that green border.  The feature already exists in Doom, all you have to do is change the extants appropriately when widescreen is turned on or off.  It's a really nice solution in that you don't have to fiddle with resolutions, and I was able to get it working in the Unity port with a minimum of fuss.

Yes, having a switch control is necessary.  I had similar ideas.

However, the first step is the rendering mechanism that is tied to the max screen width has to be rewritten.  Have to write a replacement that does not fail.

There are existing problems that are related, like sprites whose image exceeds the declared screen width having those parts showing through floors.

The other part is depth fighting of sprites and nearby railings and floors.

It has to do with the sorting of draw elements.  To fix this I have to first chop off parts of sprites that cannot be cleanly sorted.

This is high on my TODO list right now.

So I've messed around with this on Windows 7 and Windows 10 64-bit and Windows XP 32-bit and here's what I've encountered so far: 

The music is...spotty to say the least.  E1M1 doesn't seem to loop at all, but I've noticed that other tracks will loop incorrectly, I.E it seems like some instruments loop while others don't.  This seems to be on an every other loop basis as I'll get the full track on the first and third loop while on the second and fourth loops most of the instruments are missing.  This issue is present on all three Operating Systems.

Pistol clips can be picked up even when you have full bullets.  This only applies to clips and not ammo boxes and also does not seem to be the case for other ammo types at all.  This is present on all three operating systems.

Windows 7 and Windows 10 do not want to display the game in full screen, but Windows XP will.  If the game is launched full screen by default in Windows 7 and 10, I have to manually edit the config file in order to interact with the game.

In the software renderer there is a strange bug regarding flats.  It's hard to describe but you should be able to replicate it by standing at the edge between two sectors of differing heights and looking at the floor or ceiling while strafing back and forth.  This does not happen on the OpenGl renderer.  I've also noticed that animated flats are not animated.  These are present on all three operating systems.

System specs are as follows: 

Windows 10 21H1

3.5 GHz Core i5 6600k

32GB DDR 4 RAM

Radeon RX 480

Windows XP (SP 3) and 7 are dual boot on the same hardware

2.4 GHz Core2 Duo E4600

7 GB DDR2 RAM

MSI R6850 (Radeon HD 6850)

The bug reporting site is: https://sourceforge.net/p/doomlegacy/bugs/

Right after a release is when I must work on other things, for several months.  Reports here will have scrolled off the forum by time I get back.

Thank You for the information on the clip pickup.  I found that a return stmt had gone missing.

This will be fixed on the next patch commit.

The music on Windows is known to suffer due to the Windows MIDI player.  This has been discussed previous times.

The default Windows MIDI player does not have all the instruments.

I have suggested installing Fluidsynth, .. or at least get a new synth instrument package.

Windows does not inform when it is done playing a MIDI piece, so DoomLegacy does not know when it is done.

This has been addressed several times before.

Sometimes there is a delay before DoomLegacy decides that the MIDI must be done.

Sometimes it is playing, but Windows does not have the instrument, so you get silence.   You only hear parts of the music.

I do not want to install my own MIDI player.

I only have an XP to build and debug.  Problems with Windows 7 and 10 will need someone with those machines who is willing to debug the issue.

The flats issue that you are describing sounds like a known issue.  If the player stands on a line, near a vertex, the math calculations of the line as displayed on the screen

get some jumpiness.  This is a known issue.  I do not know when I will find a solution for it.

I checked animated flats on Plutonia.  They do animate for both OpenGL and for native draw.  I saw animated flats for slime, water and blood.

You will have to noitify of a specific place on a specific map.

Please note that we cannot display everything that some other ports may have invented.

In general, telling me your memory, CPU, and video card is not necessary.

DoomLegacy uses SDL 1.2 or later, and SDL interacts with Windows.

You may fix some problems by updating your SDL to a newer version (but NOT SDL2 which is incompatible).

DoomLegacy will run on a 486, and an old video card.

We do nothing special for newer video cards.

If there was a problem with a specific video card, it would be SDL 1.2 having problems with that video card.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:49 AM, wesleyjohnson said:

Can now select between  OSS, ALSA, ESD, PulseAudio, and JACK sound devices using the sound menu.
For music, can now select between MIDI, TiMidity, FluidSynth, external MIDI, FM_Synth, and AWE32_Synth, using the sound menu.

Hmm, I don't see where you can change anything in the sound menu.

image.png

11 hours ago, wesleyjohnson said:

The bug reporting site is: https://sourceforge.net/p/doomlegacy/bugs/

Right after a release is when I must work on other things, for several months.  Reports here will have scrolled off the forum by time I get back.

Thank You for the information on the clip pickup.  I found that a return stmt had gone missing.

This will be fixed on the next patch commit.

The music on Windows is known to suffer due to the Windows MIDI player.  This has been discussed previous times.

The default Windows MIDI player does not have all the instruments.

I have suggested installing Fluidsynth, .. or at least get a new synth instrument package.

Windows does not inform when it is done playing a MIDI piece, so DoomLegacy does not know when it is done.

This has been addressed several times before.

Sometimes there is a delay before DoomLegacy decides that the MIDI must be done.

Sometimes it is playing, but Windows does not have the instrument, so you get silence.   You only hear parts of the music.

I do not want to install my own MIDI player.

I only have an XP to build and debug.  Problems with Windows 7 and 10 will need someone with those machines who is willing to debug the issue.

The flats issue that you are describing sounds like a known issue.  If the player stands on a line, near a vertex, the math calculations of the line as displayed on the screen

get some jumpiness.  This is a known issue.  I do not know when I will find a solution for it.

I checked animated flats on Plutonia.  They do animate for both OpenGL and for native draw.  I saw animated flats for slime, water and blood.

You will have to noitify of a specific place on a specific map.

Please note that we cannot display everything that some other ports may have invented.

I noticed something very interesting with regards to the animated flats.  I tried a variety of maps in Ultimate Doom across different episodes with the same result of slime, blood and lava not being animated.  The same held true with the water sector in Map 01 of Doom 2, but Map 02 was actually working correctly.  I opened the maps up in Doom builder and it turns out that Map 02 was the only one that started out at the first frame of the animation, i.e FWater1.  E1M1 for instance has Nukage3, E2M1 has Blood3 and Map 01 of Doom 2 uses FWater4.  Hope this helps.

Edit:  Removed irrelevant information and fixed grammar.

Edited by TruthInFiction

The sound menu, sound device selection, is only for X11.  That is the only port which will have the control in the sound menu.

The release binary for X11 is svn 1617, so I can tell that your pic is not from the X11 binary.

For DoomLegacy SDL, the SDL library has its own sound interface to those devices.

SDL has interfaces to a number of sound devices (on Linux at least), but I do not remember of a way for the user to select one.

I had to rewrite the animated flat code.  Still testing the new code, as I found a new way for it to fail.

Long time ago they optimized the levelflats, only loading those that were used in the levelmap.

This turns out to not be compatible with animated flats, which need all their flats loaded, even when only one of them appears in the levelmap.

It also turns out that adding a missing flat to the loaded levelflats can reallocate the levelflats, moving them out from under the animation ptrs.

I have started working on SDL2 as a compile option (this may take a while, it is not as trivial as claimed).

SDL2 has a provision for creating the window centered, and I have selected that option.

Have not seen anything like that with SDL1.

I downloaded Legacy last week to give it a shot, and while reading the changelog got excited when I saw several fixes for running phobiata.wad, as the version it was presumably made to run with (1.42?) just crashes when I try to start it (on Windows 7). Legacy 1.48.10 runs pleasantly easily, and visually phobiata looks jaw-dropping on it for someone who's only used to seeing it in GZDoom. Unfortunately the custom music doesn't work and plays the Doom II one, and a quick search revealed this seems like an older problem. I was wondering if you were aware of it (or if there's a better channel for reporting this kind of bug) and if it's just not something that can be easily fixed. Or if it's already fixed and there's something I'm not doing right (wouldn't that be nice!)

On 2/19/2022 at 10:05 PM, brick said:

I downloaded Legacy last week to give it a shot, and while reading the changelog got excited when I saw several fixes for running phobiata.wad, as the version it was presumably made to run with (1.42?) just crashes when I try to start it (on Windows 7). Legacy 1.48.10 runs pleasantly easily, and visually phobiata looks jaw-dropping on it for someone who's only used to seeing it in GZDoom. Unfortunately the custom music doesn't work and plays the Doom II one, and a quick search revealed this seems like an older problem. I was wondering if you were aware of it (or if there's a better channel for reporting this kind of bug) and if it's just not something that can be easily fixed. Or if it's already fixed and there's something I'm not doing right (wouldn't that be nice!)

Unfortunately, support for modern Windows with this port is nil atm so you're kinda out of luck.  It's Windows XP and Linux only as far as that goes.

5 hours ago, TruthInFiction said:

Unfortunately, support for modern Windows with this port is nil atm so you're kinda out of luck.  It's Windows XP and Linux only as far as that goes.

And Mac and BSD.  Both work perfectly.

Bug reports:

https://sourceforge.net/p/doomlegacy/bugs/

Feature requests:

https://sourceforge.net/p/doomlegacy/feature-requests/

It is not that Windows7 is unsupported.   It is that I don't have one to test, and I am not a Windows programmer.

I have an old XP, and keep the win32 port compiling and running on that.

This would work as long as these modern windows can run XP images.

With all the downloads of win32 port a week, and they cannot all be running XP.   It must be working for some owners of Win7 and Win10.

As none of the people reporting crashes on modern Windows have submitted any information (like a diagnosis or even crash listing) that would help with identifying where it crashed, or in what way, there is little I can do until someone with a Windows7 machine really wants to find out the details, and is willing to share them with me. 

I have users with FreeBSD and NetBSD who do report bugs.

Now this is a report of 1.48.10 working on Win7.

The Music played should be the same on all ports.  That is not a port specific issue.

MIDI Music on modern windows is an old issue because that standard MIDI player that comes with windows is so bad.

It does not report when it is done playing and it has missing instruments.

Edited by wesleyjohnson

I checked phobiata.wad on Linux, and I got the same thing.  It always plays the music from doom2.

I checked way back to 1.46 and they all do the same thing.

Then I checked the wad itself.

**   Phobiata does not have any music of its own in the wad (not in the one I have).  I checked using deutex.

The phobiata.txt says that there is "complete new mp3 soundtrack".

DoomLegacy plays MIDI music (MUS format in the wad).

The SDL port lists that SDL can play MIDI, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, etc..

The SDL headers also seem to admit to playing MP3.

If the wad music does not have a MUS header, it is given directly to SDL_sound.

I cannot confirm that a wad with MP3 music actually plays.

This would imply that the MP3 must be in a mus lump, but I could not find any in phobiata.wad.

There was MP3 playlist in the MACOS_DI port (old Macs).

But that has been disabled, probably since version 1.44.   Also, it only printed out the playlist.

The phobiata.txt has following

>       -file phobiata.wad -opengl -ds3d -mb 511 -digmusic -nocd

I found a command line to play phobiata.

>  start Legacy.exe -file phobiata.wad -digmusic -nocd -opengl -mb 511

The -mb 511 is the old memory allocation, and is not needed anymore.

The -nocd turns off CDROM music.

The -ds3d is to enable using direct3d music in the WIN32 port.  It does not work in the SDL port.

The -digmusic switch I cannot find in the code, nor any record of it in patches.  It is also likely to be for the WIN32 port only, and not applicable to the SDL port.

I usually have the music turned way down, so I don't remember anything but silence.

I do not know what happened to the MP3 music.

18 hours ago, Gibbon said:

And Mac and BSD.  Both work perfectly.

Ah, right.  I tend to forget Mac is a thing.  Never heard of BSD though.

3 hours ago, wesleyjohnson said:

It is not that Windows7 is unsupported.   It is that I don't have one to test, and I am not a Windows programmer.

I didn't mean to imply that you were just saying screw Windows or anything like that, but it seems like your options are a bit limited in that regard.

Edited by TruthInFiction

Thank you for the detailed reply @wesleyjohnson!

First just a clarification: 1.48.10 runs perfectly fine on Windows 7, no crashes, and plays Doom2.wad flawlessly, including the original MUS music; the only problem is that phobiata.wad MP3 music doesn't play (the wad otherwise runs fine, and looks gorgeous). When I mentioned the crash on Win7 I was talking about the 1.42 version, which I was trying to see if the MP3 music worked on the older version. Sorry for the confusion.

Now regarding phobiata.wad and its MP3 music. I have the download from idgames, https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/p-r/phobiata. I knew that they were in there somehow because, if I start the wad in GZDoom (4.8.1, FWIW) I do hear the Phobia music. When I open the wad in SLADE I see the music lumps, they have a similar naming scheme to the Doom2.wad music but with the D replaced with an O (eg: O_RUNNIN, O_EVIL, O_DM2TTL, and so on). They are all in MP3 format according to SLADE. I wonder if the (now-defunct?) digmusic had anything to do with interpreting the files in an older (pre-SDL) version?

I will start a bug report (or a feature suggestion if you prefer?) if that's the best way to proceed.

Thanks again for looking into it and for your replies above.

EDIT: thought I could outsmart the program. Tried renaming O_RUNNIN to D_RUNNIN. Now no music plays at all on the first map. So it does seem to potentially be 2 problems: Legacy 1.48.10 doesn't even recognize the O_ lumps as music and ignores them entirely (how did older versions do it anyway?), and even when the MP3 lump is seen it doesn't get played.

Edited by brick

I don't think that option exists anymore. It has been a long time but the old Doom Legacy versions used FMod to play MP3 but that library is long gone. The code is still there but #ifdef'd out. The FMod library of that time has also long been dead.