Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beezee88

Duke Nukem vs ZDoom

Biffy said:

Sure, I need something to do! Email it to mjblakely@earthlink.net if you like. Tell me where to look, I'll fix it.

ravage said:

3. Check your nodesbuilder. Make sure all your lines refrence the correct sectores, and check textures. That's all I can really tell you.

Thanks Biffy, I apreciate your help. I'll send it ovr right away, and I'll credit you if I ever finish it.
Ravage, it may well be my linedefs. DoomCAD 6.1 doesn't let you edit linedefs as much as WinDEU or others.

edit: Can someone tell me where I can get a template for the text files that go with wads?

while on the subject of Duke Nukem, check out this web site. It's got links to the beta version of Duke Nukem, circa 1994. The beta and alpha versions of Doom were pretty close to the final release, but LameDuke (as the beta is called) went through a complete overhaul, in fact, it barely recognisable. A very terrible Doom wad used music from it. Download for a laugh.

ravage said:
(Quake had a) True 3D engine. :)

Yes, but quake's engine was not as good as the 'fake 3D' ones, IMO.
Although it had 'train' objects, and stop points, it could not rotate the block being moved. Duke had proper doors and subways. Plus, Quake had a crappy texture map, 500 different shades of brown, pretty much.

beezee88 said:

Although it had 'train' objects, and stop points, it could not rotate the block being moved. Duke had proper doors and subways.

That's not true. Maybe the original version could not do stuff like that, but the first official expansion pack had that.

boris said:

That's not true. Maybe the original version could not do stuff like that, but the first official expansion pack had that.

Well, whatever it's capabilities, it sure as hell ain't as FUN as Duke or Doom.

Hexen 2 had all that, and Portal of Praevus had even more features (like falling snow), and it was more fun than Quake (though still not quite as good as Doom, Hexen, or maybe Duke Nukem).

Well gang, all BeeZee needs is a good node builder. He did have a few textures missing, but not in the area of his concerns. Wad fixed and returned, Beezee, check your mail.

i dont think build has true room over room, just fancy zdoom like effects. ducts are spirtis and so is alot of other things.

also i think the only room over room port for doom was ROR.exe(room over room) if not what other ports support room over room, true that is. why is it not just added to zdoom

I wondor if Randy has thought of implementing some sort of 'flat sprites' to Zdoom. :o

beezee88 said:

while on the subject of Duke Nukem, check out this web site. It's got links to the beta version of Duke Nukem, circa 1994. The beta and alpha versions of Doom were pretty close to the final release, but LameDuke (as the beta is called) went through a complete overhaul, in fact, it barely recognisable. A very terrible Doom wad used music from it. Download for a laugh.

I tried listen to the musc... it are from ROTT (rise of the triad).
But yes, it look alot how the doom alphas was... :)

Biffy said:

Well gang, all BeeZee needs is a good node builder. He did have a few textures missing, but not in the area of his concerns. Wad fixed and returned, Beezee, check your mail.

WHat would you recommend as a good node builder? I'll try Zennode, but I heard that BSP is good as well.

BTW, thanks for fixing my map, Biffy.

Heh, okay. There are several things in DN3D that aren't in ZDoom (yeah I know, most of these were already said, just trying to sum up):

1. Room over room
2. Moving sectors
3. Sprite manipulation - in Build, sprites could either be objects (like torches or barrels in Doom), 2-dimensionsal (so they look like boards or cutouts...used this for a movie store once :P), or stuck to the floor or ceiling like decals. Any sprite could do this, but there were several that would get fucked up if you tried to stick them to the floor. Also, you could change the pallates of anything, and if you changed the pallate of any light texture on the floor or ceiling, it would make anthing in that sector switch to that pallete as if that color light was shining on it. :D
4. Universal textures - every single texture/sprite in DN3D could be used as anything - object, decal, floor, ceiling, wall, whatever. But if you tried using an object sprite as a wall texture, it's not going to look to great. Also, you could parralax any ceiling or floor yu wanted, no matter what the texture was.
5. Certain lighting effects - for one, in Build, you could have a door open and have the light poor in from the lighter room into the darker one, and also I don't think I've seen rotating lights in ZDoom (I guess because of the lack of rotating textures).
6. This one I don't know about, but in Build you could have water sectors next to normal sectors and could either traverse between them normaly (walk, walk, walk, float!) or have some glass between the two.

As for an editor, you're out of luck. There isn't one released that is anywhere near as easy as the Build one that shipped with DN3D. I loved that thing. Making sectors was easy, it was just a matter of point and click (or was it hitting the spacebar?). Then I'd just go into 3d mode and do all the ceiling/floor hights/slopes, textures, sprites, lighting effects, palette changes etc from there. The only reason I'd go to 2d mode would be to split/add sectors or change the properties on sector effector etc.

/me gets nostalgic...

Anyway, if any of you have DN3D anymore, go find a map called Beta1 (or maybe its called beta one). At any rate, it is the coolest Duke Nukem map I've ever seen and has many room-over-room instances, a really cool aquarium, a decent subway, and a ton of other cool stuff. Not that great gameplay wise because it is so non-linear, but its real beautiful design-wise. The author also made a sequal, beta two, but despite being just as well designed, I didn't like it as much.

K

I don't know much about the ZDoom engine, only what I've seen from the various PWADs I've played.