Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Miscellaneous demos (part 4)

Welcome to the Miscellaneous Demos thread!

This thread is the place to post your demos on maps and wads that haven't so far attracted a great deal of attention from the demos community.

If your demo fits into a pre-existing thread, then it is better to post it there. Megawads and episodes, for example, usually get their own threads.

Note also that this thread is for unassisted (non-TAS) demos. There is also a thread in this forum for Miscellaneous TAS demos.

If you're looking for older miscellaneous demos, check out part 1, part 2 or part 3 of this multi-thread.

This sucks, but hopefully, someone will tell me if this doesn't qualify because of reasons that are clear when watching. just needed to try it out

Download

Map 03 - UV Max

From Doom with Love (DSDA fork)

dwnld3 demo.zip

6 hours ago, Zahid said:

Could you use a standard naming convention for these? From the uploader perspective, it doesn't really matter what your files are named, but I'm not really able to automatically rename them, and doing so manually would be a lot of extra work from my side. Just would be nice so if people download your demos from DSDA, they know which demo is which instead of everything being called misc. :P

Andy Olivera spoiled my habits as he never complain about anything for all those years I sent demos to him any way I like....(Miss you andy)

here I actually uses same text file named "misc" for all demos but i properly named lmp files and during zipping, zipfile always Select the Name from LMP file automatically(as it did in itstuff.wad case here) but later for Unknown reasons it starts to pick name of text file and Labeled all as "misc" and i was too lazy to rename.....

preparation for a demo to post here is for some reasons is more tiresome for me than recording it,but will try to fix it in future so sorry for now....

1 hour ago, Zahid said:

Andy Olivera spoiled my habits as he never complain about anything for all those years I sent demos to him any way I like....(Miss you andy)

here I actually uses same text file named "misc" for all demos but i properly named lmp files and during zipping, zipfile always Select the Name from LMP file automatically(as it did in itstuff.wad case here) but later for Unknown reasons it starts to pick name of text file and Labeled all as "misc" and i was too lazy to rename.....

preparation for a demo to post here is for some reasons is more tiresome for me than recording it,but will try to fix it in future so sorry for now....

Ya, I recall Andy doing this, although to be fair, Andy didn't typically deal with the modern demo volumes. :p These days, there are so many uploads happening from so many people, it's really hard to do anything manual for demo uploads. Additionally, I perform additional tasks that Andy's DSDA didn't quite support; for example, linking of videos and verification of complevels, demo validity, etc. Definitely would appreciate if at least the zips are named correctly in the future; I actually don't care so much about the lmp file itself, but preferably both will have the same name.

On 2/3/2022 at 8:23 PM, LadyMistDragon said:

This sucks, but hopefully, someone will tell me if this doesn't qualify because of reasons that are clear when watching. just needed to try it out

Download

Map 03 - UV Max

dwnld3 demo.zip

Few things:

• Please link to the wad in question for demoing. I have no idea what download.wad is, so I don't know where to look for it. :p
  • Your txt has some basic info, but I suggest using a more standard format that is easily parseable automatically. For example:
PWAD: something.wad
PWAD Name: Name
Map: ##
Skill: 4
Category: UV-Max
Exe: DSDA-Doom #.##.# complevel ##
Recorded on: Date
Time: #:##
Author: player_name
Description:
  • Additionally, I suggest adding the version of the port to the txt, instead of just the name of the port.
  • Please use more standard naming conventions; standard is {wad_key}##-### where {wad_key} is the key for the wad, ## is the map number (if it has multiple maps), - is where the category marker is (- or m for maxes), and ### is the time. So, something like download-110 would work in your case. Please name the txt, lmp, and zip the same preferably, and avoid putting spaces in your filename (replace with underscores).
  • This demo appears to be recorded with default complevel; is download.wad actually intended for MBF21? If not, it would be placed in incompatible, you'll want to use the required complevel for the wad (Boom, vanilla, etc.).

If you fix the above issues and preferably make a new post with the same demo, I will try to upload it again and get back to you if there's any other problems with uploading.

22 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I think this should be everything.

Download

Map 03 - UV Max

download03-110.zip

This format looks ok, although the main preference I have for txts is the colon-separated format because if you provide details that way, they are easy to read programmatically. So, my script could double check what you put for the category if you put category: UV-Max on one line for example, and otherwise, it is more error-prone. That said, the demo compatibility isn't resolved; I checked download.wad, and I guess it should be cl2, whereas you didn't appear to pass a complevel when recording. I can upload the demo into the Other category as incompatible, or you could try to redo it with the right cl.

Ok, here we go. I could get under :45, but at this point it doesn't matter anymore. Anyways, :41 seems like it'd be really hard. I think I could've flirted with that last shotgunner mob a little less though. I think complevel 2 may make tight movement more difficult, but I'm no expert on how that sort of thing's affected.

Download

Map 03: UV Max in :55

download 03 - UVMax - 55.zip

On 2/6/2022 at 9:01 PM, LadyMistDragon said:

Ok, here we go. I could get under :45, but at this point it doesn't matter anymore. Anyways, :41 seems like it'd be really hard. I think I could've flirted with that last shotgunner mob a little less though. I think complevel 2 may make tight movement more difficult, but I'm no expert on how that sort of thing's affected.

Download

Map 03: UV Max in :55

download 03 - UVMax - 55.zip

Well, I guess there are more things 😅:

• Doom runs are meant to be done single segment (no deaths). In order to reset a demo, do not just press space as normal, you need to use the demo reset keybind to start a new demo entirely. This also affects your Heretic Treasure Chest demo btw.
  • Please do not use mouselook for demo recording, at least for Doom. I'm not sure about Heretic/Hexen exactly, though.
  • Also, could you explain what "doomgirl_01.wad" is?