Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skronkidonk

What sort of wads would you like to see?

We've seen all manner of backdrops and palettes and motifs and such. 

There's enough content for a lifetime of heavy play.

Personally, I find with videogames I don't really know what I want until I have it, and even things I think I want, in practice can be underwhelming.

But there's some beauty in the tank still, look at this map. I think he said it was the guy's first attempt at a map, and it's gorgeous. The fights look underwhelming, but the look impresses me quite a bit.

I want to see a Plutonia remake which expands the concepts and ideas of the original levels. Basically TNT Goes Boom, but for Plutonia.

I would like to see a voxel engine in a doom wad. Like think: MineCraft but in Classic Doom. 

Spoiler

I don't think it would be possible though.

Some sort of Warhammer 40,000 inspired wad is what I wish. Well... World War II themed wad would be nice too. Something like first Call of Duty games.

12 hours ago, DoomBoomer said:

Some sort of Warhammer 40,000 inspired wad is what I wish. Well... World War II themed wad would be nice too. Something like first Call of Duty games.

I was planning on making a WW2 themed wad that could be ran in chocolate. But I haven't worked on it.

Overall I want more megawads that vary up the levels a bit thematically. I almost always get bored of a megawad that has more than 5 levels in a row with the same exact theme or setting, even if the map is objectively well designed with its layout, i just can't help but feel bored when its one of many same looking tech base levels i've played before. Not that I necessarily need a dramatic shift every single level, but not many wads that i've played seem to stray from having episodes where every level has the same exact theme, I get why for the sake of continuity but when every level seems to blend together because they feel the exact same it's hard for me to remember a lot of maps. 

As for general themes, I don't see many jungle/forest themes if at all, i've tried my hand at making some forest themed maps in boom and udmf formats but I never finished any of them because i'm just lazy 💀

On 1/28/2022 at 1:15 AM, rediska_3_14 said:

I want to see a Plutonia remake which expands the concepts and ideas of the original levels. Basically TNT Goes Boom, but for Plutonia.

This seems pretty intersting! I mean, people often make *tribute* maps of famous plutonia maps, but no one care about the less famous ones.

On 2/4/2022 at 3:47 PM, CherryPoptartzzz said:

Overall I want more megawads that vary up the levels a bit thematically. I almost always get bored of a megawad that has more than 5 levels in a row with the same exact theme or setting, even if the map is objectively well designed with its layout, i just can't help but feel bored when its one of many same looking tech base levels i've played before.

Well, I'm not trying to self-promote here but that's exactly the thing that I was trying to do in my wad. I'm fine with 5 map-episodes but when you have to play 7-10 maps that are similar in terms of visual design, then it can be quite annoying and boring.

After re-reading this thread, I would recommend to all content creators out there - just keep doing what you're doing.

I really want to see more vanilla minisodes (an episode of 6 maps for instance).

I'm not a very picky person. I wouldn't mind playing a hundred maps in the same style, as long as they were all fun and creative. Of course, there are decades of maps I have yet to play through, so anything new is cool. However, I have found maps based on real life locations and architecture to be quite interesting.

I quite fancy shorter WADs, like 9 maps, that are based on the traditional Doom style. Not overly large maps and change them up as you go: like longer maps, shorter maps, maps with interesting mechanics, linear maps, non-linear maps – like an arena, etc.

I guess like a smorgasbord of Doom appetisers. I think that would be cool.