Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yakfak

doom terms to get rid of in 2022

8 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

"Blind Playthrough" is not used in an offensive way and changing it is a vain waste of consciensciousness better spent elsewhere.

Though to put your mind at ease, I will also retire the term.  I will now start calling them "Gay Playthroughs"

as an lgbt doomer, i approve

but seriously this is really dumb, changing terms that have been around for nearly 30 years is really silly

3 minutes ago, msx2plus said:

that statement is even sillier! language constantly changes and evolves, sometimes on its own, sometimes as a conscious effort from communities to better serve the people within/around them. it's always good to ask why you do something in the first place and how useful it is as time goes on. to not reflect critically on even the most seemingly mundane of things is to stifle potential growth.

Fuck, I never thought of it that way. Thank you, o based one!

If there is one thing I'd change, it's definitely the CP acronym. It's pretty funny, but it can definitely be taken out of context.

28 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

While I think some of the replies are truly just jokes for the sake of jokes, I do find the general air of "resistance to change" with these terms pretty funny lol.

Most of them are crap terms, like even all things aside - they just sound crap, and don't even roll off the tongue well or anything. Even as a lifelong Doomer I have like zero attachment to any of them, and for my "nostalgia over nothing" ass, that really is a low bar to meet.

yeah, it's honestly really strange seeing people be so resistant to a simple change of vocabulary. the english language is one of the more expansive ones out there, so there's always gonna be at least one other word that you could use in its absence; there's really no reason to be so stubborn about it. besides, language changes itself naturally and most of these people probably ain't using words they likely used 10-15 years ago, so why bother making a fuss about it?

27 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

not necessarely blind playtrough is also used in relation to playing a game without seeing anything about it before hand be it trailers or other gameplay videos

while i think blind playtrough is an outdated name it will only stop being used if someone can find another term that replaces it and the large gaming community adopts it

in that case, "ignorant" could work perfectly in its stead

1 minute ago, roadworx said:

"ignorant" could actually work perfectly in its stead

imo this one carries hilarious weight to it. "yo check out my ignorant play of this map" (i ignore every single element of signposting and guidance intentionally) "damn where do i go lmao"

27 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

not necessarely blind playtrough is also used in relation to playing a game without seeing anything about it before hand be it trailers or other gameplay videos

while i think blind playtrough is an outdated name it will only stop being used if someone can find another term that replaces it and the large gaming community adopts it

first playthrough is used on Twitch as the official category for... wait for it, first playthroughs. which has been historically what a blind playthrough has been considered.

Just now, msx2plus said:

imo this one carries hilarious weight to it. "yo check out my ignorant play of this map" (i ignore every single element of signposting and guidance intentionally) "damn where do i go lmao"

while that's true, how is referring to it as a "blind" playthrough any better?

3 minutes ago, roadworx said:

while that's true, how is referring to it as a "blind" playthrough any better?

oh i'm not arguing in favor of blind (on the previous page i am explicitly against it lol), just that ignorant is a really funny word to use for it. "first play" is def the way to go.

edit: let's move on from "slaughter". "slaughter" is used to describe so many different kinds of things, usually just "fucking hard lol". it's time to adopt "kaizo" instead. it's a widely understood term for "difficult, asinine, often funny or clever" and "slaughter" just sounds like "lol im a mass murderer".

2 minutes ago, msx2plus said:

edit: "slaughter" is used to describe so many different kinds of things, usually just "fucking hard lol". it's time to adopt "kaizo" instead. it's a widely understood term for "difficult, asinine, often funny or clever" and "slaughter" just sounds like "lol im a mass murderer"

I can definitely get behind calling hard-ass WADs "kaizo",  but it gives me Vietnam flashbacks to when I was really into SM64 and SMW ROM hacks

This might come across as offensive or uninformed, but I'm not in touch with streaming culture - why not just call playthroughs by actual blind people visually impaired playthroughs or something? Maybe not that exact terminology, but something similar? Although I don't agree with the folks who get defensive/insulting about keeping the term "blind playthrough", I don't foresee very many people changing their terminology over the situation.

Just now, Sr_Ludicolo said:

I can definitely get behind calling hard-ass WADs "kaizo",  but it gives me Vietnam flashbacks to when I was really into SM64 and SMW ROM hacks

i only just got into modern kaizo a couple years back and love it to bits (it's a great time to get back into it if you've been out for a while...)

but that's a story for another thread...

10 minutes ago, msx2plus said:

edit: let's move on from "slaughter". "slaughter" is used to describe so many different kinds of things, usually just "fucking hard lol". it's time to adopt "kaizo" instead. it's a widely understood term for "difficult, asinine, often funny or clever" and "slaughter" just sounds like "lol im a mass murderer".

slaughter is an actual, defined genre tho. just cuz some people like to misuse the term cuz they suck ass at handling larger numbers of enemies doesn't mean that it's not

it's possible that you could rename the genre to something like "crowd control", but...that just sucks the life out of it and makes it sounds dull as hell, ngl

12 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

first playthrough is used on Twitch as the official category for... wait for it, first playthroughs. which has been historically what a blind playthrough has been considered.

theres still a difference between both terms

first playtrough is just you playing a game for the first time

blind playtrough is you playing a game for the first time but you have no outside knowledge about it

like i said i think blind playtrough is an outdated term but first playtrough has a different meaning then blind has

Just now, D4NUK1 said:

And how it's called when it's doing by a actual blind or blindfonded player?

That's called "blind person plays [insert game here]" or "blindfolded run" respectively.

2 minutes ago, D4NUK1 said:

And how it's called when it's doing by a actual blind or blindfonded player?

How about "real" blind.

40 minutes ago, msx2plus said:

IWAD is fine in circles that understand it but "base WAD" is generally more sensible outside of that. i have been playing doom my entire life and still don't know what the I means. (checks) "internal" apparently. ok it's dumb

I've made vague passes at using other terms, e.g. "original games," at various times and it's hard to get any of them to stick in my mind. They're vague, whereas the terms IWAD and PWAD are specific and accurate and easy to search for the definition. As another example of how generic words are easy to misconstrue and can lead to confusion, here's an example of a base WAD. 

I play everything with saves, but I'm with you on savescum -- it's a word that has a specific meaning separate from "saving," or that can be used lightheartedly in a lot of different contexts. I'd rather people would simply not be dicks than to get rid of a perfectly useful word.

Using "kaizo" is a really interesting idea that I hadn't really thought of because most of my experience with gaming communities and terminology is through Doom. "Slaughter" is a weird term that's always been abused and argued over, but at the same time is adopted by mappers and grounded in specific tropes used in the Doom community, as well as being popularized as a nonsensical, inaccurate term used by ragey people arguing in bad faith. I'm on the fence, but it's good food for thought.

6 hours ago, yakfak said:

- "blind playthrough" please get some awareness

Why does the word "blind" always have to jump to a disability?

While one of the definitions of "blind" is to do with not being able to see because of injury or condition, the other meaning is just, "lacking perception, awareness, or judgement." like a blind judgement or a blind acceptance. Not every word accosiated with a community is gonna constantly offend someone from that community.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

EDIT: I just saw the "community project" one. I've been calling them CPs since before the spreading of CP on the internet was common, god damn I hate how slimeballs can co-opt terms that started out harmless... Anyway uhh, "community mapset", "community episode", "community wad"/"community megawad" could all work.

We even called our Newdoom project the Newdoom Community Project. Argghhh, damn those slimeball hosers.

I don't like ditching the word project myself. Hmmm, Group Project.

I never liked the term 'save scumming'. I find it annoying like when people used call their game characters 'toons'.

7 hours ago, yakfak said:

- "IWAD" nothing but jargon, think up something intuitive or I'm calling them source files

1 hour ago, msx2plus said:

IWAD is fine in circles that understand it but "base WAD" is generally more sensible outside of that. i have been playing doom my entire life and still don't know what the I means. (checks) "internal" apparently. ok it's dumb

They are called IWAD and PWAD because that's literally the first 4 characters of those files. It's what they are physically identified as. You can dislike it all you like but they will always be called that, the names can't simply just change.

Edited by Edward850

I'm not sure the OP was calling out the term "community project," just the abbreviation for it. In reviews and other serious writeups, I try to avoid using most abbreviations anyway, just because full terms are clearer.

- "Intelligent placement" lad who played Plutonia accidentally insults everything but Plutonia

- "IWAD" nothing but jargon, think up something intuitive or I'm calling them source files

- "Savescumming" there's a bunch of reasons why Doom isn't a roguelike and this term fights with at least two of them

- community project as an acronym, please get some awareness

So who exactly made you an authority that everybody has to change their vocabulary to suit you, oh mighty decider? If you don't like certain terms, nobody stops you from not using them anymore.

Use whatever terms you feel comfortable with but don't assume the right or authority to tell others what to say or think.

Live and let live.

I know right? Lets call it "deaf playthrough" instead.

In all seriousness, I don't really think people are going to stop using these terms anytime soon, at least not this year or the next one. Especially as most terms are universally understood inside the community unless you lack the brain to understand it. Noone is going onto Doomworld because they thought you can find literal CP here, or think that this site is against the visually impaired and spread their hatred against them (Unless that hasn't been noticed yet for reasons unknown). Neither will the Iwad and Pwad topic change, for now. You can explain any newbie what an Iwad and Pwad is in two sentences.

msx, roadworx, doomkid, etc, thanks for the back up <3 and I think that just cos you understand a term and cos it's got tenure doesn't mean it shouldn't be revised.

guess IWAD's the one I have the least conviction about yeah

Blind

2.lacking perception, awareness, or discernment.

"she was blind to the realities of her position", which in turn makes something like "she didn't know of the realities of her position."

"i went into this map without prior knowledge" which makes "i went into this map blind". This isn't offensive at all.

Also, Kaizo can't replace slaughter. Kaizo nowadays refers to ultrahard modifications to the game, and slaughter isn't making the level ultrahard. Scythe map 26 has 600+ monsters and isn't "ultrahard", while Frog and Toad map 10 has 0 demons and is really hard. 

1 hour ago, msx2plus said:

and "slaughter" just sounds like "lol im a mass murderer".

Yes, mass demon murder. :)

2 hours ago, roadworx said:

jesus christ this thread is a dumpster fire

Oh dear, disagreement. We can't have that 🙄

there's been a push from the disabled within the gaming community to get rid of it, as those suffering from blindness equate it to the usage of the word "gay" to describe things perceived as being negative, which is understandable. "first playthrough" is a better, more accurate term anyways

The key difference is that "blind playthrough" is used in a neutral, non perjorative way. We could just as soon decide that calling enemies "monsters" were verboten (it's an affront towards deformed people!!!).

That aside, "blind playthrough" carries with it a whole load of connotations with it - without prior information, totally new, no spoilers please and all that. As much of a storm in a teacup this is the confusion and reduction in utility people would face by expunging the term from their lexicon is is a perfect example of why trying to force changes like this to happen.

2 hours ago, msx2plus said:

that statement is even sillier! language constantly changes and evolves, sometimes on its own, sometimes as a conscious effort from communities to better serve the people within/around them. it's always good to ask why you do something in the first place and how useful it is as time goes on. to not reflect critically on even the most seemingly mundane of things is to stifle potential growth.

There is a big difference between simply letting language evolve naturally and, as I said before, attempting to force it (perhaps by implying that people are bigots for using innocuous and widely inoffensive terms :p). Succeed or fail, you'll end up sowing completely pointless hostility and resentment where there is none.

Edited by xdarkmasterx