Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Air Kidbag

What happened to blogs and post hell

the forum got updated back in 2017, and those got axed when it happened (iirc post hell isn't compatible with the current forum software, and blogs got replaced with status updates)

Blogs were replaced with status updates, because if you really want people to know what you're thinking, there are better places to do it than Doomworld. Post Hell was done away with because people started posting idiotic crap hoping to get their shitpost put in Post Hell so they could brag about having some idiotic thing they posted put in Post Hell. They've both been gone since 2017.

3 minutes ago, roadworx said:

the forum got updated back in 2017, and those got axed when it happened (iirc post hell isn't compatible with the current forum software, and blogs got replaced with status updates)

/shakes my tiny fist

15 minutes ago, Jello said:

Blogs were replaced with status updates, because if you really want people to know what you're thinking, there are better places to do it than Doomworld. Post Hell was done away with because people started posting idiotic crap hoping to get their shitpost put in Post Hell so they could brag about having some idiotic thing they posted put in Post Hell. They've both been gone since 2017.

Thank you kindly for the update. It's funny you say there are better places to do random self-indulgent brain dumps than Doomworld, because after three decades of Interneting I think I'd be tempted to argue that at the end of the day DW has actually been among the more inclusive and supportive online spaces I've experienced, all things considered. Low bar to clear, of course. And also just based on my own personal perspective as someone who experienced this place as an awkward cishet white teenager. But I've found myself in web communities over the years that were ostensibly open and progressive but could really be quite cruel under the surface.

As for post hell, people started posting idiotic crap with the express purpose of hoping to get it sent there twenty years ago, really kind of amazing it lasted as long as it did now that I think about it.

Lol these powerup "like" options are killing me. Are they used interchangably or do they have different meanings in forum convention? I kind of instinctively want to treat the partial invisibility sphere as a "dislike" (as in, "I wish this post were invisible")

1 minute ago, Air Kidbag said:

Thank you kindly for the update. It's funny you say there are better places to do random self-indulgent brain dumps than Doomworld, because after three decades of Interneting I think I'd be tempted to argue that at the end of the day DW has actually been among the more inclusive and supportive online spaces I've experienced, all things considered. Low bar to clear, of course. And also just based on my own personal perspective as an awkward cishet white teenager. But I've found myself in web communities over the years that were ostensibly open and progressive but could really be quite cruel under the surface.

As for post hell, people started posting idiotic crap with the express purpose of hoping to get it sent there twenty years ago, really kind of amazing it lasted as long as it did now that I think about it.

"It's funny you say there are better places to do random self-indulgent brain dumps than Doomworld, because after three decades of Interneting I think I'd be tempted to argue that at the end of the day DW has actually been among the more inclusive and supportive online spaces I've experienced, all things considered.

I would have to agree with you, Kid Airbag. And I'm sure that's why you came back, and that's why I keep coming back. It's a damn good community, and there are some genuinely good folks around here. It took me a minute to remember why I recognized your name, but I'm glad to see you back.

I really only pop in every 4-5 years to download whatever cool megawad has been released in that span and play through its first three levels while convincing myself I'm going to crack open WadAuthor and finally do my magnum opus, before inevitably getting derailed by Life, Etc. once again.

12 minutes ago, Air Kidbag said:

When Alfonzo interviewed him for Doom Radio back in 2017, Linguica's explanation was basically that he felt Post Hell had long served its original purpose and decided it was no longer needed to be a public spectacle. It still technically exists since threads aren't technically deleted so it's still accurate to describe a thread being "Hell'd" when it's suddenly been removed, so it lives on as the dumpster it has always been. It's just no longer the kind of dumpster you find bozos rummaging around in for access to cheap entertainment.

12 minutes ago, Air Kidbag said:

DW has actually been among the more inclusive and supportive online spaces I've experienced, all things considered.

While we do see some silly arguments here and there and maybe a shitshow once in a blue moon, this place is great. The membership is made of mature adults and the staff do an excellent job keeping the riff-raff under control. Considering Obsidian recognising you and your cool PinkFish avatar, you must be an ancient member. Welcome back to your old stomping grounds, mate.

10 minutes ago, Air Kidbag said:

Lol these powerup "like" options are killing me. Are they used interchangably or do they have different meanings in forum convention? I kind of instinctively want to treat the partial invisibility sphere as a "dislike" (as in, "I wish this post were invisible")

They don't mean anything other than what you ascribe to them. I have my own method, but it really doesn't mean jack shit. Soul sphere is a general "like". The Mega Sphere is "This is really important, and I like it and agree with it", the Invulnerability Sphere means "you can't argue with this statement, it is a fact". The Invisibility Sphere, I don't use. Because funnily enough, like you, I would use it as an insult. I hate that item, and I avoid it at all costs, because whenever I pick it up I end up taking more damage. 

Just now, Jello said:

The Invisibility Sphere, I don't use. Because funnily enough, like you, I would use it as an insult. I hate that item, and I avoid it at all costs, because whenever I pick it up I end up taking more damage.

Well schucks, I hope it hasn't ever come across that way whenever I've liked one of your posts since I tend to use the Invisosphere exclusively just because I think it looks cool. I don't hate you, Jello, I promise! lmao

2 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

It still technically exists since threads aren't technically deleted so it's still accurate to describe a thread being "Hell'd" when it's suddenly been removed, so it lives on as the dumpster it has always been. It's just no longer the kind of dumpster you find bozos rummaging around in for access to cheap entertainment.

Except for me, of course. :P

1 minute ago, Obsidian said:

Except for me, of course. :P

Obsidian, you fool! Don't brag about your moderator privileges in the open like that! That's both embarrassing AND unprofessional! Goodness me.

3 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Well schucks, I hope it hasn't ever come across that way whenever I've liked one of your posts since I tend to use the Invisosphere exclusively just because I think it looks cool. I don't hate you, Jello, I promise! lmao

I really don't pay attention to how other people use them, that was just an explanation of how I do it. So we're definitely cool Bio, you seem like a really decent person.

2 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Obsidian, you fool! Don't brag about your moderator privileges in the open like that! That's both embarrassing AND unprofessional! Goodness me.

What are you talking about, I'm the apex of professionalism!

/me flops

8 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

What are you talking about, I'm the apex of professionalism!

/me flops

You're the spawn of an Icon, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

42 minutes ago, Air Kidbag said:

I'm still waiting for there to be a lite-amp reac, they're extremely rare in the game which must mean they're awesome right

It is funny that they went with multiple powerups given that there's a ready set of Doomguy faces looking amazed, deviously happy, angry or dead (for reacting to funny posts) but there is a novelty to reacting with a set of meaningless icons that all have generally positive but widely interpretable connotations.  I kinda use megasphere as extra-like or "wow" since that's kind of the face in there, and the invulnerability for a lol for the same reason, but there's certainly never been an established convention or consensus on what any of them mean.

There's a few interesting threads in Post Hell that I wish were still accessible, but as I've acknowledged before I can understand why they aren't anymore.  

51 minutes ago, Air Kidbag said:

Thank you kindly for the update. It's funny you say there are better places to do random self-indulgent brain dumps than Doomworld, because after three decades of Interneting I think I'd be tempted to argue that at the end of the day DW has actually been among the more inclusive and supportive online spaces I've experienced, all things considered. Low bar to clear, of course. And also just based on my own personal perspective as someone who experienced this place as an awkward cishet white teenager. But I've found myself in web communities over the years that were ostensibly open and progressive but could really be quite cruel under the surface.

honestly, yeah...it's very surprising, considering that you'd think doom of all games would attract a rather shitty audience. it manages to be one of the nicest, most welcoming online communities i've ever been to.

10 minutes ago, Stupid Bunny said:

I'm still waiting for there to be a lite-amp reac

Personally, I'd like there to be a Caco variant for the Like button. He's perfectly round, it only makes sense!

Well holy crap. The artist formerly known as Archvile if memory serves. Good to see you man.

3 minutes ago, Stupid Bunny said:

but there's certainly never been an established convention or consensus on what any of them mean.

That was exactly why they were chosen. And that's been stated before. There's no actual meaning to them. You can attach meaning to them, as I have, but there's no intrinsic meaning behind them, so it's fun.

I just think of this post from DSC:

On 4/8/2020 at 10:45 AM, DSC said:

I once asked Linguica itself this question, and he said something along the lines of "It means whatever you want it to mean".

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2111387

So that kind of solved it for me.

1 hour ago, roadworx said:

honestly, yeah...it's very surprising, considering that you'd think doom of all games would attract a rather shitty audience. it manages to be one of the nicest, most welcoming online communities i've ever been to.

I hate to double post, but I don't think I have a choice. Doomworld really seems like an odd mishmash of people from all walks of life, and it doesn't seem like it would be a place where level-headed people would congregate, and yet it is. 

I joined in 2001, when I was 16, and I'm still here. I've certainly lived quite a bit since joining, and I joined because I found Knee Deep in the Dead in my high school library and it got me re-interested in Doom, a game that I first played in 1994. Now I'm in my late 30's. I'm sure there's plenty of people here in their late 30's, plenty of people in their 20's, and even new people in their teens, plenty of people in their 40's, and 50's. Even 60's.

Hell, Sandy Petersen posts on the forums. (Hey Sandy, love your levels, Episode 4 of Quake was amazing. But screw you for the Spawn). Lee Jackson is a regular as well, love your music Lee.

The game, and especially these forums, seem to attract a certain type of person. I'm not saying we're special, but it's always seemed to attract people that are decent. Willing to listen to others, and just not be shitheads. That's not the case all of the time, but in general Doomworld seems to attract decent people, and that's why I've been here for 20 years. I love you guys and gals. 

Edit: Shit, OliveTree posted after I said guys and gals. I love all of you. Guys, gals, trans, non-binary, doesn't matter. We're all just people.

Edited by Jello

39 minutes ago, roadworx said:

yeah, honestly i agree. considering the sort of "boomer shooter" crowd it's unexpected how warm and relaxed the forums can be. i think ive literally gotten more hostility for liking doom 3 than for being trans, lmao

which is interesting because i wouldn't say its particularly a result of the way the forums are moderated. i really dont mean to imply the mods dont do really important work in keeping this place a comfortable and safe environment for doomery and hanging out, but i feel like moderation here feels pretty invisible most of the time. the most heavy handed it gets is threads being closed. Ofc that isn't to say the mods are inactive or distant, just that this community honestly doesnt feel like it was "shaped" into the open, inviting space it currently is, so much as it seems like the active userbase has upheld that standard and status quo for a really prolonged amount of time.

i wonder in part if thats because the forums here were always more about the creativity and modding side of things than the pure "fandom" side. i might contrast DW to the r/doom subreddit, which is very much lazer focused on the fandomy, cultural side of the community and is generally a much more toxic place.

1 hour ago, Jello said:

Edit: Shit, OliveTree posted after I said guys and gals. I love all of you. Guys, gals, trans, non-binary, doesn't matter. We're all just people.

lmao thanks for the mindfulness <3 

24 minutes ago, OliveTree said:

lmao thanks for the mindfulness <3 

Yeah I don't know if I should've even posted that. I don't know if it comes across as me being faux "woke" or not. I just want to include everyone, because I really don't want to leave anyone out, because we're all humans worthy of attention and affection. And losing someone, that I cared about, who decided because they weren't "normal", chose to leave life. I'd hate to leave someone out.

Edited by Jello

1 hour ago, Jello said:

Yeah I don't know if I should've even posted that. I don't know if it comes across as me being faux "woke" or not. I just want to include everyone, because I really don't want to leave anyone out, because we're all humans worthy of attention and affection. And losing someone, that I cared about, who decided because they weren't "normal", chose to leave life. I'd hate to leave someone out.

it was a good thing to post. i promise it mattered for anyone for whom it matters.

kind of a circular sentence but there you are, lol.

Spoiler

and im really really sorry to hear about what happened to this person, if im understanding you correctly. its good that they're remembered, and missed. thank you for being vulnerable like you have; theres nothing you could feel about that loss that's invalid. its good that you've apparently taken something constructive from those feelings.

I wouldn't worry too much about seeming "faux-woke". it means a lot to extend that hand like you did.

I'm at danger of derailing this thread, so I'll close off here. 

If you’d like I could ask Lüt about fusing your account with your old one? It’s still on here ( @Kid Airbag)

Also wb after such a long time! I remember your old hilariously long custom title 😂 shame it was too long for the new forums 

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

I remember your old hilariously long custom title 😂 shame it was too long for the new forums 

I remember that too, it was great. That brings up another change too, users can now set their own titles.