Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dreamphaser

Scripting simple things

Hello,

recently I put an old packup pc to good use and installed doom and ultimate doom builder on it since ages. I was always a very casual leveldesigner but now I wanted to explore scripting. For the record I have zero knowledge about scripting in general. I already managed to have monsters spawn succesfully when picking up items, and now I wish to to the following thing, but I can't find the how to:

Have a floor lower (to nearest) when a monster (a certain revenant) dies.

again, I'm a total noob in understanding the logic behind scripting, so any reason behind the answer might help my future endeavours.
Thanks!

Edited by Dreamphaser

I can speak with ZDoom in mind: Just set your script/action on the thing itself and you're done.

If you need to run a more complex script with the necessity of having multiple actor to die, then you can use while loops and ThingCount to check if they're alive (by giving them a common tag).

Otherwise (in vanilla) I think you need to use "Commander Keen trick" or "Dead Simple trick".

Yes Zdoom is accurate. And for now i need only 1 floor to lower when 1 revenant dies, but your description of set and you're done is to minimalistic for me. I can't figure out what exactly to put in the script itself. I found the spawning through a tutorial on youtube, and followed it, that worked fine, now i want to do something I cant find a tutorial for and I'm already stuck :)

I get 500 results looking for lower floor. I'm really having trouble finding out what exactly to look for... as in from line one from the script. I could really use some specifics.

Keep in mind that if you start typing in an editor's script editor, it will give you the options you need. for example, if you need floor lower (to nearest), you can type floor_lowertonearest and it will show up with a tooltip on all the needed parameters. ACS pretty much follows the way actions are named in action dropdown menus if you were to select them when editing a line or sector or whatnot.

Edit: since you're looking to do this when a revenant dies you'll need a thing_count script as well.

51 minutes ago, Dreamphaser said:

Yes Zdoom is accurate. And for now i need only 1 floor to lower when 1 revenant dies, but your description of set and you're done is to minimalistic for me. I can't figure out what exactly to put in the script itself. I found the spawning through a tutorial on youtube, and followed it, that worked fine, now i want to do something I cant find a tutorial for and I'm already stuck :)

Oh, ok!

(1st: What builder are you using?)

First thing to do is to right-click the revenant you want and go to the "action/tag/misc" tab (I'm using UDB, so it can be not perfectly accurate if your builder differs, just look where you find a tab in which you can change the monster's tag or add an Action).
There you just need to select the action you need Action in the apposite slot (search for it in the drop-down menu, Browse Action or writing the Action's number in the left slot).
In your case, look for "Floor Lower to Nearest" (Action n. 22), set your sector tag, speed, etc. and you're done.

I found it, Somehow i thought a script that would activate killing a monster needed to say 'kill' instead of void, I also now better understand the connection between in-editor references and script actions. Thank you Kan3, and as mentioned I am using UDB... it was the first thing i researched if there were any changes since i last used an editor.

I hope to rely on more insights on scripting from you fellas as I'm having fun with it. I'm slowly going to create a kinda vanilla textured no addons classic doom level with the exception of the scripting. Slowly, precise, learning, discovering it all over again. Thanks again.