Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Azuris

How do you handle your Mouse?

Manta ray is what it seems. I also have this really weird habit of pressing the shift button to run in videogames with the ring finger and someone told me thats not how you propperly press shift. How do you guys press shift btw?

I like to handle my mice gently, so I don't startle them

I use my right thumb and right pinky to stabilize the mouse while having both my index and middle finger on mouse 1, then I have my ring finger on mouse 2.

Sometimes I do the claw, but that's here or there.

Based on the examples in the OP, I'd say I use the 'Manta Ray' style of grip.  Just makes more sense to me to rest my hand on the mouse.

I go for the dragon claw most recently, but since my fingers are stub on the right hand, I use a combination of both. Because my index finger has only two bones, I have to let it rest on the left button fully like in the manta ray. I used smaller mouses in the past that I can't hold in the manta ray ways anyways. I'll see however, how I'll handle this once I buy myself a new computer, because this one is going to fall apart every next second... 

It probably has to be the dragon claw grip or the claw grip. Using my right hand, I hold the left side of my Steelseries Rival 600 with my thumb, and grasp the right side of it with my ring and pinky fingers.

It should be noted however that I have a mouse pad with a memory foam wrist rest, and it has an impact on how I'm holding the mouse. (But at least it's preventing me from getting arthritis, thank goodness.) I've had that mouse pad for God knows how long, and I'm considering getting a new one.

11 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

Never heard of these terms before.

Manta Ray I guess.

Well, there are no commonly accepted terms for, claw is used often, but i thought to give them a bit more sauce makes it tastier ;)

17 hours ago, Lippeth said:

I also tend to pick the mouse up and keep it held just above the surface with my ring/pinky and thumb a lot when not turning in game, and my wrist will be the only thing touching the mouse pad.

Hide contents

Ah, when using my Laptop connected to the TV and sitting on the Sofa i often play around with the Mouse, hovering it around or using my Thumb on the Laser to move it.

13 hours ago, Zeal said:

Manta ray is what it seems. I also have this really weird habit of pressing the shift button to run in videogames with the ring finger and someone told me thats not how you propperly press shift. How do you guys press shift btw?

With the little Finger.

The others are bound around WSAD.

So i also use some kind of ten Finger WSAD Mode haha

Claw, because if I want to aim vertically I don't have to move my arm, instead I just extend my fingers. The only downside I guess is that I can only use small, lightweight, WMO style mice.

Edited by unerxai : grammar

vertical mouse user, so like this. the grip varies based on if i'm moving it towards or away from me.

vm.jpg.2cd9500ea9682b691bf6698d5b12db47.jpg

Manta ray, I guess? I use an Anker vertical mouse and let my hand lay there. Dragon claw seems like too much effort. I like to rest my wrist on my desk.

On 1/26/2022 at 7:48 PM, Zeal said:

I use my pinkie finger to press tab, shift, ctrl, and alt. How can you turn left when you're using your ring finger to run? Assuming a WASD setting, there are so many ways to play games that I'm never surprised. I've ventured into ESDF, but I've never gotten the hang of it. I would imagine it just takes muscle memory, but I haven't found a keyboard that feels quite right with ESDF.

It seems like it would be more natural, since your home row fingers rest with your left index on the f, instead of the d, and it opens up more keys. But nope, after so many years of doing it one way, and the lack of caring because it just works, I'm fine staying with WASD. But even if I was using ESDF, I'd still use my pinkie to hit strafe. So, again... how can you use your ring finger for shift?

I move the mouse with thumb on one side and ring + pinky fingers on the other. Wrist and bottom of palm rest on the mouse pad. Index and middle fingers rest flat on the mouse.

All fingers, I guess dragon claw. Having big sausage hands and a tiny Amazon mouse will do that to you

I pinch the tail and lift it up vertically, occasionally shaking it if it tries to climb up and bite me before I can toss it at a cat. I try not to be too rough, as I'd rather it have at least a bit of a chance of getting away.

Oh. In that case, manta. No other style feels natural or comfortable.

On 1/28/2022 at 4:33 AM, Jello said:

I use my pinkie finger to press tab, shift, ctrl, and alt. How can you turn left when you're using your ring finger to run? Assuming a WASD setting, there are so many ways to play games that I'm never surprised. I've ventured into ESDF, but I've never gotten the hang of it. I would imagine it just takes muscle memory, but I haven't found a keyboard that feels quite right with ESDF.

It seems like it would be more natural, since your home row fingers rest with your left index on the f, instead of the d, and it opens up more keys. But nope, after so many years of doing it one way, and the lack of caring because it just works, I'm fine staying with WASD. But even if I was using ESDF, I'd still use my pinkie to hit strafe. So, again... how can you use your ring finger for shift?

I can't turn left while holding shift. For most games i switched the run button to a extra button on the side of my mouse. Works the best for me atm, but when i eventually have to switch mouses i don't know what i am going to do

image.png.4b1eaaa86f22ef3bb063ef7da6cf9e98.png

On 1/27/2022 at 1:56 PM, El juancho said:

There is a lot more of grip styles, my grip style is a mix of claw and fingertip grip

image.png.41283ecef333a27e7867129781f16856.png

Fingertip works the best for me and is not tiring at all, at least for me. The other styles feel awful

It's pincer claw grip which goes into fingertip for small corrections, when I basically positioning the mouse under my palm with my thumb, ring and pinky finger. Playing mainly from wrist, with mild (moving in the  ~-10 - +10 degrees range) forearm support, constantly lifting and repositioning the rodent.

Reference for grip styles (properly high resolution pic):

grip_styles.jpg.d5b0264b729ef015534c4da564131d0b.jpg

Edited by Fluuschoen : Missing parameter. : D

On 1/26/2022 at 7:48 PM, Zeal said:

I use my pinky finger, the same digit I use for left-ctrl, tab, left alt, caps lock, tilde. I never really thought of doing it differently.