Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quill

Do you instinctively avoid nukage/blood/mud?

Do you instinctively avoid nukage/blood/mud?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you instinctively avoid nukage/blood/mud?

• Yes
    • No

14 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Didn't Milo Casali in a couple Plutonia maps?

I believe that it's just in places you would get stuck in.

2 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I always found ice damage silly. The early Requiem maps do this. Water shouldn't hurt lol. Even if it was real life, water wouldn't immediately kill you just because it's cold. lol

I mean, I have felt pain from water being so cold. Midwestern weather goes hard (Feel free to screenshot)

4 minutes ago, Astronomical said:

I believe that it's just in places you would get stuck in.

I mean, I have felt pain from water being so cold. Midwestern weather goes hard (Feel free to screenshot)

Heh, don't get me started on Midwestern weather. I've been here my whole life, so unless it's around 10F, it doesn't really bother me. Either way, I don't think tapping some ankle deep water will make you lose 10 percent of your life force ha.

1 minute ago, Astronomical said:

Midwestern weather goes hard (Feel free to screenshot)

Eeeeeeyup. Remember a year or two ago one day it was so cold that standing outside for 15 minutes would give ya frostbite. Cold damage seems plausible, but I think the rest of the environment has to sell it.

Unless the map design makes it obvious that I should avoid it, either through the use of a texture to warn me, or layout design making it look undesirable to fall in, I prefer to dip my toes in to see if it hurts before deciding if it needs to be avoided.

3 hours ago, Endless said:

That's not people. They have no soul.

What about people who fill their maps with invisible linedefs that instantly kill you as soon as you cross them, then crash the game?

I avoid liquid textures till I've tested em and I just assume no wad is consistent with this, though sometimes that inconsistency maybe has some, maybe hidden to the wad author too and I'm just overthinking it, characterization, like lava or that cracked lava stone floor hurt you in an earlier episode but now you've been hardened by your venture in hell and now it doesn't phase you.

I actually don't mind stuff like damaging blood cause I always though it was just like very evil blood and it hurt your soul (ignore the armor damage). If it's stuff like damaging water (boiling? Cold? whatever the hell is wrong with the mississippi?) then I expect it to be obvious beforehand and even then I'm gonna shake my head a little at it.

1 minute ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

I will never trust @CyanoBlugron after he made water damaging in his Mapwich map.

there's a special place in hell for people who make mundane damaging water. It's actually a nice looking beach but the water is damaging.

i often just stand in it to see if it hurts lol, it's like a trust fall. if the mapper betrays me later, that's another story altogether!!!

10 hours ago, Captain POLAND said:

What about people who make normal-looking floors deal damage?

Sometimes that is contextually ok, like for example if there are biohazard signs all over the place, or if you can see it is like the inside of a nuclear reactor or something like that. Otherwise, that is a terrible thing to do.