Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DixeGuy520

I want to run a wad in dosbox

35 minutes ago, DixeGuy520 said:

I have managed to run that other wad

Sorry is there a wad called "That other wad" because you didn't really clarify the one that worked.

I remember also found running Epic 2 on dosbox problematic. But didn't it require loading dehacked or some other files as well?

You can run it in Chocolate Doom if the wad is designed for vanilla (non-limit removing). It renders the game as close to the original as is possible. 

26 minutes ago, Jacek Bourne said:

You cannot run limit removing mapsets on dosbox.

Are you suggesting that there are no limit-removing versions of Doom for DOS? If so, you are sorely mistaken.

29 minutes ago, Jacek Bourne said:

You cannot run limit removing mapsets on dosbox.

Epic 2 isn't limit removing.

Also im pretty sure you're supposed to run deutex or something before it.

That bad texturecolumn error is something that is pretty familiar to quite a few vanilla modders, even having its own documented wiki section about it. If those wads have anything that replaces sprites, etc., then vanilla doesn't really like when you do that. Running it in another port like PrBoom wouldn't give you this issue, but if you're really preferring ONLY Dosbox, this handy little tool known as DeuSF which imports any custom assets into Doom's IWAD file. And better yet this tool also lets you revert those changes, but if you go down this route I'd still say copy your Doom wad elsewhere for safety. If you're going to use chocolate-doom, you can forego all this by using -merge instead of -file, and it'll work just as fine. I can only assume this from the information you've given, and admittedly I'm not familiar with the wads you've played (especially not that other wad.wad), but I hope this gives you and anyone else pointers if they encounter this issue as well.

Hate to tell you this but DosBox is more inaccurate than Chocolate Doom, and I hate both of them. Better off just running a more optimized Source Port and just setting it to Strict settings so that it mirrors vanilla doom.