Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cybernight Zero

TNTRevilution- Vanilla Doom- Save bug

I ran TNT Revilution in Chocolate Doom, and ran into a game-breaking issue.

When I tried to save on map30 I got this error, "Savegame buffer overrun." And the game crashed.

I should note that I had already completed the game in GZDoom. I wanted to try out map30, because I saw another unrelated bug with enemies spawning.

I ran Revilution in Chocolate Doom by using the command "chocolate-doom -merge tntr.wad -file -deh tntr.deh"

I decided to test the other maps, and these maps also have the same error.

(map03, map10, map 12, map14, map16,map17, map 24, map 21, map19, map28, map29, map 30, map31)

I realize this megawad is a few years old, but can't believe no one reported or fixed this issue since its release.

Well nobody reported it because it was already known in the original release!

Take a look at this quote from the Idgames archive readme file, specifically in the Known Bugs section:

Savegame overflow on 3, 10, 12, 17, 20, 21, 22, 24, 28, 29, 31.

It's not really an issue that can be "fixed" to my knowledge, aside from using a limit-removing port to handle those savegame overflows. That, and I believe it may also have less "live" enemies at play. With this I'm more rusty though, so don't quote me entirely on this.

2 hours ago, Athel said:

Well nobody reported it because it was already known in the original release!

Take a look at this quote from the Idgames archive readme file, specifically in the Known Bugs section:

It's not really an issue that can be "fixed" to my knowledge, aside from using a limit-removing port to handle those savegame overflows. That, and I believe it may also have less "live" enemies at play. With this I'm more rusty though, so don't quote me entirely on this.

That's understandable. Although it can hardly be claimed that TNT Revilution is Vanilla Doom compatible. Since saving is a large function of a continued campaign.

Many vanilla wads ignore the savegame limit, because it varies depending on gameplay (an archvile resurrecting a lot of monsters can push a map over the limit) and is basically impossible to reliably test for. Alien Vendetta, Suspended in Dusk, Back to Saturn X, and other wads all ignore it in some or all maps.

I would recommend using a patched EXE that fixes the savegame limit, such as DOOM32.

Hellrun2 from 1996, Area51 from 1997, Bermuda Triangle from 1999... All vanilla and all break the savegame buffer overflow. It's so small that I'm stunned some TNT maps don't break it honestly!