Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caleb13

Is there a mod to skip platforming in TAGs?

What the title says, I tried googling for one, but found nothing. I was quite disappointed by the endless jumping in the base game, and I finished it (twice) only because I found infinite jump cheat (Fling trainer). I haven't even bothered with TAGs - I watched some videos and they played more like goddamn Microsoft Flight Simulator, not a FPS. But now their price fell below 10 USD range (which is about the most money I'm willing to dump down Microsoft's throat), so I figured I may play TAGs just for the story. Plus, I have some new gaming hardware and Mario Eternal is still the most advanced game I got. I'm not sure if the Fling trainer would work anymore (with all the new anti-cheat measures), so I'm looking for alternatives. I'm not sure what modding ME allows, but I imagine the platforming passages could be skipped with teleporters, bounce pads or scripted flight.

Thanks.

Nothing for the platforming I don’t think, but there is a “No Hub, No Camera, No Intro” mod that might help some.

I don't think there's an easy way to achieve that, since there must be a whole edited campaign with cuts here and there in platforming parts. So, if there isn't someone that already did that work, there's no solution.

Not a fan of platforming either, but I had to forcefully learn in order enjoy what Doom is good for. 

P.S.: Ignore the hate.

On 1/30/2022 at 1:00 PM, Caleb13 said:

I watched some videos and they played more like goddamn Microsoft Flight Simulator, not a FPS.

On 1/30/2022 at 1:00 PM, Caleb13 said:

Mario Eternal

This is like saying that classic DOOM is more like Pac-Man than an FPS because it has mazes lol

15 hours ago, chemo said:

This is like saying that classic DOOM is more like Pac-Man than an FPS because it has mazes lol

It's beyond absurd. It's nothing more than a few moments to cooldown inbetween fights - there's nothing to it.

I literally find platforming more annoying in Doom wads, where you can actually fall to your death and where progress is often actually tied to annoying tricky platforming.

It's just boomers yelling at clouds. It's nonsensical because the game goes too hard for them and they can't figure it out.

On 1/30/2022 at 10:00 AM, Caleb13 said:

I watched some videos and they played more like goddamn Microsoft Flight Simulator, not a FPS.

I'm not going to tell you that you won't necessarily find the platforming hard just because no-one else does - everyone's skills are different - but I can say that I barely remember any platforming in TAG.  Not to say there isn't any, but it's very inconsequential compared to the rest of the expansion pack.  If you know you'll enjoy the combat then it's worth it for $10, because the combat is 99% of the experience.

Eternal's platforming feels like id took notes from other games, then made it in a way to be as less annoying as possible.

I feel like the platforming (along with other parts of the game people complain) is a side effect of the kind of game Eternal wants to be, specially if the alternative to platforming is very linear corridors.

Even people that praise Doom Eternal and make jokes about game journos being "triggered by the Marauder" act like the monkeybars and climbing murdered their parents and burnt down their house.

Maybe it's something to do with people overpraising Eternal a bit too much, then watched that idea "break" because of things like the platforming or arcade-style pick ups.

For better or worse, it's still part of the core gameplay/level design and even classic Doom tried its own experimentations with level design, for better or worse.

I'd argue platforming and level puzzles are still more "Doom-like" than RPG upgrade menus.

Because those feel like "modifying" the core balance than actually making use of gameplay for the level design, so it feels like an "outsider" thing. (and i guess how a lot of AAA games fall in that "RPG elements in non-RPG game" design trap)

But even then, Eternal may have benefits from that too, along with other concepts like the simplified armor system.

Besides, platforming can still test the player's reaction time and awareness.

It's not just the arena fights that test you, so why can't the levels outside of fights?

Heh, guys, there's no need get all philosophical about this. It's actually pretty simple - I hated the platforming back in Doom 2 MAP24 (The Chasm) and I still hate it today. And yes, I use GZdoom flying cheat whenever I encounter any serious platforming in Doom 2 mods, too. I'm just looking to accomplish the same in Mario Eternal. Is there really no way? No flying cheat via console? No super-jump or super-dash mod? Or something like Barnacle Grapple from Half-Life Opposing Force?

6 minutes ago, Caleb13 said:

Is there really no way? No flying cheat via console? No super-jump or super-dash mod? Or something like Barnacle Grapple from Half-Life Opposing Force?

Nothing that I noticed or ran into for you, sadly. I did come across and discover a 2016 dash mod, though.

I'm gonna defend the OP here, I find the platforming sections annoying and they drag down my enjoyment of the game on replays. Especially in the second to last level of the base game, where you have to jump and shoot at the same time. They're a drag. Not the end of the world, but a streamlined version would be more enjoyable for repeat playthroughs in my opinion. It's also why I still prefer Doom 2016, there are fewer tedious moments in that game, even though Eternal has a lot of improvements and is still a *great* game overall.

With that said, I do appreciate that Eternal tried to make some of the connecting areas between arenas more interesting to explore. The game is still overall very good. I'm not a hater!