Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TuniDoom

WADs with no secrets?

Dear all and non-noobs,

Are there any WADs / Maps without secrets?

I mean I loathe spending game time roaming like an idiot looking for some misaligned texture or listening for an opnening door.  I just want to frag demons, continuously.

Thank you in advance,

NB

Bourgeois Megawad has almost no "actual" secrets, most of the secret sectors are along the main progression of the map and are just there to prevent vanilla Doom's intermission screen from saying 0% secrets (which it will say if there are no secrets in a map).

Sunder has no secrets except for MAP15's secret exit.

You can also just, you know, ignore the secrets. I usually don't go out of my way looking for secrets on my first time playing a wad.

3 hours ago, TuniDoom said:

I loathe spending game time roaming like an idiot looking for some misaligned texture or listening for an opnening door.  I just want to frag demons, continuously.

So stop looking for secrets and frog [edit: frag] demons, continuously.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

You could just ignore the secrets and just kill demons. No one is forcing you to find secrets.
EDIT: Welcome to Doomworld by the way.

Edited by Silent Wolf

yup, just don't bother with them. you're missing out on a lot of fun by limiting yourself to secretless maps. doom is a game of options before a game of requirements. if you feel bad seeing the 0% secrets tally then that's a you problem.

generally speaking, secrets are not required to get an exit on a map. they can certainly help, but any decent mapper will ensure that it's balanced without them. there is the occasional map that does require them and makes the secret hunting part of the difficulty (which i'm quite a fan of) but those are the minority.

I too get very obsessed trying to find every secret in a map nowadays (I didn't use to), so you'd see me sometimes reach the end and then spend 10 more minutes trying to find them, even cheat a bit or open Doom Builder. I used to just end a map and leave secrets behind me, but since some years it has become obligatory to find them all. I like few secrets, but I like maps where it's not like a big number (I sigh though when I see over 10, then be relieved when I realize 8 of them are stairs marked as secrets :P). I like them few and relatively obvious.

I tested a map once(not gonna name who created it) that had 30 secrets in it...all secrets found once I went into the center of the room. let's just say the guy accidentally marked some detailing as secret)

On 1/30/2022 at 9:22 PM, TuniDoom said:

I mean I loathe spending game time roaming like an idiot looking for some misaligned texture or listening for an opnening door.  I just want to frag demons, continuously.

Secrets by design are optional.  If you don't want to hunt for them, then just don't.  No map remotely worth its salt requires you to find secrets to be beatable or fun.

Although if you are still specifically looking for a wad that has no secrets (bar the one secret exit on Map 15) and lets you continuously frag demons, then Sunder is pretty much your ideal mapset. :D

Yes, Sunder won't waste your time with stupid secrets. No more wall-humping.

Except the passage to MAP31, but it's a very simple one.

Spoiler

/ssssssss

Wow .. thank you so much to everyone who answered. I definitely learned a couple of new things from this thread. Thank you so much.

Yes, I agree I can just ignore them. But I noticed a couple of wads where the secrets do provide very good items, like a BFG or cell boxes or Berserk, etc, which might become helpful in some difficult levels, given that I'm not that much of a doom ninja right now and I do die a lot.

There are also wads that become very "puzzly" at times. And it's basically the same issue. You stop fragging and start wandering aimlessly.

But again I do agree that I should just ignore the secrets and just ignore the pain of the incomplete end screen.

I will definitely check the no secret wads list. Thank you very much. And I did play the first two levels of Sunder. I still have nightmares from that wad. But I will finish it.

Thank you so much all, you guys are awesome, I hope this thread helps other people who might have the same question as me.

10 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

My wad has 0 official secrets, yet there's still a few optional things not in plain sight here and there (:

Looks awesome. One of the most intense starts I've personally seen to date, cyberdemon, archvile, and the rest of the team. Love it (:

Will definitely give it a try. Thanks a lot for sharing.