Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Doom the Way id Did (& Ultimate DTWID!)

E1M1 - “Communications Bridge” by esselfortium

Tiny, secrets-packed level that keeps faithful to the size, if not the aesthetics, of our dear old 'Hangar'. Just a handful of enemies (one of which tucked behind a secret) stand between us and the exit door, but the mapper still manages to take us through a number of tech-based environments, from classic STARTAN laden hallways, through a radiation pit, then into more cybery territory thanks to liberal use of TEKWALL. Just keep your earl peeled for suspicious machinery sounds...

Bonus points for the charming intro and completion screens.

Edit: eye candy to be added at a later date.

E1M1 - "Communications Bridge" 
Played on DOOM Retro, UV, Keyboard and Mouse

If there's one thing I appreciate about this map is how vertical it is compared to Hangar. It gives the map a much larger sense of scale. Some of the secrets are a bit of a headscratcher at first, but once figured out lead to some neat rewards. 

The secret for grabbing the shotgun outside follows one of my favorite tropes in DOOM maps, where a new pathway is formed by raising or lowering some lifts. It's part of the reason I enjoyed DOOM Zero so much; you could create some really interesting twists, turns, and paths simply by moving a couple of lifts around.

Spoiler

Before:1378383109_CommunicationsBridge.png.1bd24c0344ac281649fd58357fb0dc3b.png
After:
795499447_CommunicationsBridge(1).png.9403f0d5cdcf078309fc98e49393ff0b.png

7 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

pj8YHb0.jpg

>>>DOWNLOAD DOOM THE WAY ID DID HERE<<<

>>>DOWNLOAD OPTION SOUNDTRACK HERE<<<

Originally envisioned as a “what if someone found more id levels?” concept, Doom the Way id Did attempts to recreate maps as accurately to the source material as possible. Spearheaded by Hellbent and released in 2011, DTWID is a celebration of all things Romero, Petersen, and Hall—warts and all. Let’s see how accurate it truly is!

Author & Maplist:

E1M1 - “Communications Bridge” by esselfortium

E1M2 - “Military Bunker” by hobomaster22

E1M3 - “Fuel Synthesis” by esselfortium

E1M4 - “Treatment Plant” by Hellbent

E1M5 - “Engineering Bay” by ellmo

E1M6 - “Reactor Complex” by hobomaster22

E1M7 - “Logic Core” by iori

E1M8 - “Transportation Facility” by ellmo

E1M9 - “Excavation Site” by Stewboy

E2M1 - “Receiving Station” by Xaser

E2M2 - “Filtration Compound” by esselfortium, Xaser

E2M3 - “Rec Facility” by Captain Toenail

E2M4 - “Mental Ward” by ellmo

E2M5 - “Deimos Command” by Use3D

E2M6 - “Foundry” by Alfonzo

E2M7 - “Ore Processing” by Megalyth

E2M8 - “Vault” by Marcaek, esselfortium

E2M9 - “Nebulous Origins” by iori

E3M1 - “Abyssal Stronghold” by ellmo

E3M2 - “City of Corpses” by Walter confetti, ellmo

E3M3 - “Malebolge” by Icytux

E3M4 - “Torture Chambers” by Captain Toenail, Hellbent

E3M5 - “Chapel of Scorn” by pcorf

E3M6 - “Depths” by Phobus

E3M7 - “Inner Sanctum” by ellmo

E3M8 - “Core” by ProcessingControl

E3M9 - “Lake of Fire” by Lutz

Is it not possible to include E4 in the playthrough? Wonderful Doom was close in votes and has 4 episodes, and this one has E4 released later. I think it could be possible if you squeeze secret M9 along with the level it is accessed, and the shorter boss levels in M8 with M7. 36 maps in exactly 28 days.

Otherwise I do not think the fourth episode will be chosen any time soon by the club, along with other WADs.

Re: the issue of DTWiD episode 4, here's a thought: 28 days is exactly four weeks, one for every episode in Ultimate DTWiD. How about allowing people to squeeze in a couple extra maps per day, as long as they don't skip ahead to the next episode before its corresponding week? Covering 9 maps in 7 days is pretty reasonable, I think, and wouldn't result in so much playing-ahead that the thread gets flooded with spoilers and excess (although a limit of maybe up to 3 maps per day may be necessary in that case). Something to consider.

Awesome, I didn’t really want it to be Wonderful Doom, given how it kinda just looked like an Ultimate Doom remix, glad this won

34 minutes ago, NiGHTS108 said:

Awesome, I didn’t really want it to be Wonderful Doom, given how it kinda just looked like an Ultimate Doom remix, glad this won

Maybe it is a little bit, but consequently i think the maps in WD are sort of better (i've played a five of them, but some reviews say the same) as here they can get very sprawling and complex while making little sense (not saying this isn't a good set, regardless!)...

Still glad this won!

PrBoom+, Ultra-Violence, -fast monsters enabled. I also intend to upload 100% demos with each map as well, just for those interested.

E1M1: Communications Bridge

I've already played through this several times, so I've decided to enable fast monsters for a little extra challenge this time around. A short and compact map dense with secrets, most of them not too useful such as the rad suit although I may just be completely oblivious to it's purpose. Took a bit of a beating in the middle and missed the strafe jump to the shotgun secret first attempt but other than that things were smooth sailing.

e1m1.zip

E1M1 Communications Bridge (HMP, continuous, legally blind): K 100%, I 88%, S 100%, D 0, T 12:56

Spoiler

Combat-wise easier than the original on HMP, with only 8 monsters and none of them remotely threatening or memorable (a couple of encounters in Hangar are very much so!), but the layout i found very confusing.  Texturing is mimicking original, but with much less attractive result.  Of secrets there were seven, and they also felt easier than in the original, found them all quickly enough.

Not a very good map, but still good enough, has the right feel to it and was ok to play through - yet ultimately forgettable.

Legally blind means i've played this long long time ago, but remember next to nothing.  Same will be true for the rest of the first episode.

Ranked

Spoiler

E1M1 - Communications Bridge

E1M1 Communication Bridge (UV)

It's the Hangar, what else can I say? It has the same gameplay but is slightly elongated, which I think plays against it, because pistolling low-tier enemies is not very interesting for very long - and shotgun shells are scarce. There's nothing to complain about but also nothing to praise. A tribute to Hangar is an ungrateful task, I guess someone had to take one for the team.

Quality 3.5/5

Difficulty 1/5

2 hours ago, Cammy said:

Re: the issue of DTWiD episode 4, here's a thought: 28 days is exactly four weeks, one for every episode in Ultimate DTWiD. How about allowing people to squeeze in a couple extra maps per day, as long as they don't skip ahead to the next episode before its corresponding week? Covering 9 maps in 7 days is pretty reasonable, I think, and wouldn't result in so much playing-ahead that the thread gets flooded with spoilers and excess (although a limit of maybe up to 3 maps per day may be necessary in that case). Something to consider.

This is more or less what I was suggesting, only with a general rule to keep people together on the same agenda.

People not finding or not wanting to play secret levels will have their agenda shortened.

Here a detailed plan, for @dobu gabu maru and others to consider...

February 2022

1st E1M1

2nd E1M2

3rd E1M3 and E1M9

4th E1M4

5th E1M5

6th E1M6

7th E1M7 and E1M8

8th E2M1

9th E2M2

10th E2M3

11th E2M4

12th E2M5 and E2M9

13th E2M6

14th E2M7 and E2M8

15th E3M1

16th E3M2

17th E3M3

18th E3M4

19th E3M5

20th E3M6 and E3M9

21st E3M7 and E3M8

22nd E4M1

23rd E4M2 and E4M9

24th E4M3

25th E4M4

26th E4M5

27th E4M6

28th E4M7 and E4M8

E1M1 - Communications Bridge by @esselfortium

Doomsday Engine, UV-Fast, Continuous, blind run w/saves

Doom The Way id Did started off with a rather small installation, aptly called Communications Bridge as it was full of computer panels and screens, used to break the traditional STARTAN3/STARGR3/BROWNGRN texturing. I disabled look up and down for a proper vanilla experience, and I noticed that it was very difficult to find a position to make a nice screenshot. The construction used a lot of verticality, but I must say it does not benefit the map visually, as its spaces are too small and claustrophobic.

Spoiler

815777052_DtwIdE1M1_01.jpg.d398f990142c79855765bdfc04524acb.jpg

I will be playing again with -fast monsters, hoping that the mappers have followed id Games habits in monster placement as well. The level was a breezy corridor shooting in which I used pistol 90% of the time, even though the Sergeants granted me an early shotgun. Quite amusingly, when I found the elaborate way to access the secret shotgun, I was already carrying 50 spare shells.

Secret hunting defined this entry by esselfortium more than anything else: there were 7 secret sectors to score, and some of them were far from obvious, even though most people will eventually find them in this compact layout. The way to access the shotgun was fascinating. I missed only the Radiation Suit, as it cannot be seen unless you take a bath in nukage for no good reason. A humble start, suffering a bit from the first level syndrome.

new month, new wad. Let's get this done! 

(I must say I'm more of a doom 2 player so not having a SSG will be something I'm not used to. so much that I didn't even realize my doom 1 wad was the shareware one, despite having recently bought both of the games at GoG.. Oh well, installing.. done)

I'll play in HNTR this time.

E1M1 - Communications Bridge :

First a single zombiemam followed by two pillared imps, another zombie and we reached the end of the level. However, there are secrets to be found! One easy to find radiation suit. One switch that opens a switch that opens a wall to a blue armor and some more potions. A secret wall inside that gives me access to some more shells for that shotgun that taunts me from the outside.. Oh, I think I see it. A series of rising platforms! clever. Here it is, my friend the shotgun and the last secret.

K/I/S : 100% / 100% / 100%

time  : 6:33 / 6:33

deaths : 0

A nice little map to shows us the fundamentals. Things should heat up tomorrow! 

(in regards to the idea of playing 4 episodes instead of three, if the maps are short enough, I'm all for it.)

I think I'll do a very lightweight format this month. An FDA of the latest level that's available for discussionon UV. If I don't beat it, I don't beat it. If I'm not available to play Doom that day, I just don't play the level at all.

Anyway, E1M1. Brief confusion at the start as I recalled that this is DTWID and not Doom the way we remember it. Also brief hesitation at the end as I considered going back for secrets, but I'll be pistol starting so whatever. Quite an unremarkable level in terms of resistance, but that's probably to be expected in what's supposed to be the first map of the first Doom. The texture work was excellent for the same old vanilla walls, and like already said, the use of verticality was refreshing.

PrBoom+, CL3, with the soundtrack though that probably shouldn't matter.

DTWID_Rujasu_E1M1.zip

Okay, I skipped one month, and I don't know if I should rejoin this month... because I have already played DTWID last october. There's an optional soundtrack? Okay, count me in, but like Rujasu, I'm in for a lightweight format. I'll play on UV, but continuous. I think I pistol started the thing back in October, this time I'll just enjoy the ride.

E1M1: Communications Bridge. Played on UV-continuous, DSDA-Doom v0.23. K: 26/26, S: 7/7. Completion time 02:37. Deaths: 0.

The level itself is a breeze, only the secrets presented a challenge. I remembered the rad suit from my first playthrough, and I did a little re-run to get a better time after I had re-discovered the way to the optional shotgun and shell box.

Somehow, I remembered the wad would look more amateurish, but I must be confuse it with something else, or maybe some later level, because Communication Bridge looks nice. Visual motifs are very much like early E1 (and not just Hangar; Communications Bridge is tad more complex than that) without feeling like a copy-paste effort. The high density of secrets is a cherry on the cake.

Good start for the wad, even if the iconicity of Hangar is nigh impossible to reach.

Each map gets 2 grades

Quality: A>B>C>D>F

Difficulties: X>A>B>C>D>E

X for extreme, E for easy

(Just like MtPain27)

Play info 

Spoiler

- GZDoom 4.7.1

- Doom (strict) compatibility 

- Ultra-Violence difficulty

- Pistol start every map

- I try to get 100% kills but I won't if I don't feel like it (Aka, if you hide your monsters in obscure secrets or not)

- Using mods Autoautosave and IDCLEVer (Improves GZ autosaves and auto-forces pistol starts)

- Using Mr. Freeze's "Doom The Way Id Did: The Soundtrack" MIDI pack to cut back on the monotony

- Not doing the episode 4 replacement but I may change my mind

E1M1: Communications Bridge

By Esselfortium

Kills: 100%

Items: 50%

Secrets: 71%

Time: 1:53

Not a bad start, I almost actually think this is easier than Hangar, and I like being able to go outside with a secret, just like Romero, it does look pretty nice for an "Id" map and the gameplay is Doom E1, what did you expect right, shotgun some Imps and non-chaingunner zombies and before you know it you're outta there, if 99% kills makes you break out in hives, head back to the right of the spawn point, activate a computer, hit a switch behind you, go up the stairs, hop in the hole, and to your right, open a wrong looking wall texture and kill one zombieman... huh... okay...

Grade: C+

Difficulty: E

Edited by NiGHTS108

Communications Bridge was neat. Really brought forward the concept of "Doom 1, but again". It was very reminiscent of Hangar.

It followed John Romero's five rules of level design, pretty much to a tee.

Having said that, in aesthetics, it felt... kinda old... which I know is on purpose, but still

Id's policy about placing health and armor bonuses everywhere is annoying. It prevented me from getting a UVmax multiple times, because I didn't find one or two stray bonuses.

DTWID.wad - Doom The Way ID Did - Various authors:

Here is a throwback to the past, after many years of the club playing D2TWID (Which I sadly missed), we come to play the first iteration of this project with a really cool idea. The concept of this mapset is, to mimic the style of the OG mappers from the first Doom game, and emulate a megawad in the way the ID mappers did (John Romero, Tom Hall and Sandy Petersen). We can see similar mapping traits, layouts, familiar aesthetics, and things that would make you feel like playing the original game, but with the twist that some of the actual authors of these maps could give.

I'm going to rate all maps the way I always do, but I'm algo going to give them a 1-through-5 score, based on how well they replicate the original works by ID employees.

Episode 1:

E1M1 - Communication Bridge - Sarah "Esselfortium" Mancuso *John Romero* (96%K/73%I/42%S):

Not a bad starting map at all, but it has nothing memorable to recall here, and this is where I think it fails the most, at replicating original work. The first level should have at least an iconic starting view. At least for me, this was not delievered to me from Communication Bridge. The map feels more vertical, complex, and longer than the original E1M1, and even though it tries to mantain the "horseshoe-design" as much as possible, you won't feel it as much. The outside area is not something you can just simply see and want to go there just as you would in Hangar. There is some backtracking for secrets, this is the best thing from Hangar Esselfortium could replicate, it's just fun to try and find them, but other than that, this map feels more like a pocket edition of E1M7 for some reason, in design. None of the rooms deliver somewhat of a memorable view just as well as Hangar, which does it with simpler views, Communication Bridge tries to give this impression with complex design that may look really Romero at all, but, feels a bit soulless at times. Its best aspect is the secret-hunting for sure.

IDness ratio: 2/5

(UV Playthrough - Crispy Doom)

This is one wad I'd really like to replay, as well as giving a good first playthrough to the E4, finished not so long ago. So I hope I have some spare time at the end of this month full of university finals.

Edited by DJVCardMaster

1 hour ago, PeceMan said:

Id's policy about placing health and armor bonuses everywhere is annoying. It prevented me from getting a UVmax multiple times, because I didn't find one or two stray bonuses.

Don't worry about it, the official rules for UV max do not include item completion.

In fact none of the COMPET-N/DSDA categories require 100% items. Nobody in the demo business likes collectathons.

52 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

DTWID in general was more of a "wing it, go by feel" approach than the more in-depth study we later did for D2TWID. (And even D2TWID has some authenticity errors in it!)

I've seen the study you guys did for D2TWID referenced before, is it ever something that was publicly shared? I ask because I thought it'd be really interesting to read, but I also understand if you guys would want to keep your work private.

7 minutes ago, Magnusblitz said:

I've seen the study you guys did for D2TWID referenced before, is it ever something that was publicly shared? I ask because I thought it'd be really interesting to read, but I also understand if you guys would want to keep your work private.

It's been a while so my recollection is fuzzy, but I think some of it may have been posted on the forums, while other parts were just done in realtime conversations on IRC.

Just a sort of note: the "optional soundtrack" is non-canon; none of the maps were designed or arranged with it in mind. It basically came out of nowhere at the 11th hour and caught basically the entire mapping 'team' by surprise, hence why it never got included into the final product. Use it if you really want to, but the OG Doom soundtrack produces the best results.

This is pretty cool! I probably won't post everyday since I write enough as is, but I'll def partake in this. Time to channel my inner Dean of Doom hehe. I love the casual atmosphere too! 

2 hours ago, esselfortium said:

DTWID in general was more of a "wing it, go by feel" approach than the more in-depth study we later did for D2TWID. (And even D2TWID has some authenticity errors in it!) So it might be more enjoyable to take in DTWID as a classic-inspired nostalgia set rather than a truly authentic replica, because it's not really one.

I personally feel that the less-replicated approach was to the benefit of DTWID, since most of the mappers had at least an intermediate level of experience, and knew what made a level fun by modern standards. The lack of a need to stick strictly to what the IWADs did really helped make DTWID as special as it was. The restriction to the amateur style of mapping of for the sequel seriously made it less fun because it kept nearly all the issues that plague Doom 2. 

33 minutes ago, Sr_Ludicolo said:

I personally feel that the less-replicated approach was to the benefit of DTWID, since most of the mappers had at least an intermediate level of experience, and knew what made a level fun by modern standards. The lack of a need to stick strictly to what the IWADs did really helped make DTWID as special as it was. The restriction to the amateur style of mapping of for the sequel seriously made it less fun because it kept nearly all the issues that plague Doom 2. 

Well, whether you consider those to be issues or features is arguably up for debate. There are things I enjoy about the IWAD maps that aren't often captured in community mapping trends. I'd also say that I grew a lot more as a mapper from working on D2TWID, because it pushed me much further outside what had been my comfort zone.

I wish I could participate in this month’s but I finished this wad like some time ago and left a lil review somewhere. All I will say is that the secrets levels are pretty dope, watch out for em.

E1M2: Military Bunker (UV Pistol-start)

Somewhat mode dynamic than the previous offering, it actually managed to keep my health down. Still I didn't die. Access to higher caliber is appreciated.

Not much to say about this one either, does seems like a very compact map inspired by Romero. I wonder if the nukage pool is a death trap. Kinda rude if it is.

Quality: 3,75/5

Difficulty: 2/5