Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zark

Nostalgic

Wasn't the question what gaming moments make you nostalgic, rather than what games make you nostalgic?

My own:

1) The bit where Guybrush is dangled over a bridge in the intro to Monkey Island 2. That was probably the first time a game had ever made me laugh out loud (I didn't find MI1 as good as 2). I really wish there were still games being made that were as funny as the old Lucas Arts games (here's hoping Sam 'N' Max 2 will change that)

2) Playing through Doom 1 E1M1 always brings back memories of the first time I ever played Doom.

3) Every time the event music plays in one of the Eye of the Beholder games, it makes me long for the days Frank Klepacki made MIDIs. But then I remember how great the soundtracks for the various C&C games are :)

4) Whenever I hear 'Rule Britannia', it always reminds me of the first time I entered Britannia in Ultima 7, and was blown away by just how damned big the city was.

NiGHTMARE said:

3) Every time the event music plays in one of the Eye of the Beholder games, it makes me long for the days Frank Klepacki made MIDIs. But then I remember how great the soundtracks for the various C&C games are :)/B]

Woah... Frank Klepaki made music for EOB? You learn something new every day!

nxn said:

I also forgot Prince of Persia, anyone remember that game?

Hell yeah. I particularly remember the way you edged towards your opponent while fighting - y'know, as if the character's wearing a butt plug.

Other nostalgic moments :

Seeing the original intro to 'X-Wing' (bodies static, jaws wobbling).
Cheating on 'Duck Hunt' (standing 6 inches from the TV with the light gun).
Playing Tetris on my mate's GB.
Being shit scared by Wolf3D's mutants and their lack of appearance-sounds. Three armed bastards.

nxn said:

I also forgot Prince of Persia, anyone remember that game?

Hell yeah, that game ruled... but it was bloody hard. I've never to this day gotten past level 7 or something.

Every time I play Doom E1, I get nostalgic.

I get nostalgic about everything really easily, so pretty much every game I played before 1997 really brings me back.

Dune (old), dunno. Something about Ornithopters and worms just make it more fun. You'd be suprised what you could do in VGA. :)

Dune 2 and Dune 2000 are great. I was a huge fan of the movie, then my dad warezed a copy of Dune 2 from a friend and I was like: O_O

Heh...I remember spending hours playing that game. Now I play Dune 2000 every once in a while. Some thing are better in it some things are worse. Still damn cool.

Dune2 was amazing; that, along with 'X-Wing' and 'Wolfenstein 3D' were the first games i bought for my 386DX 40mhz.

I loved the fact that Dune2000 based it's music on the original Dune2 midis.

ZarcyB said:

Woah... Frank Klepaki made music for EOB? You learn something new every day!

Actually, he only made the music for EOB 2, but the music in the other two sounds so like it reminds me of it anyway :)

Anyway, as well as EOB 2 and all the C&C games and expansion pack, Mr Klepacki also did the music for Lands of Lore 1-3, Dune 2, Dune 2000, Emperor: Battle for Dune, Nox, Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat, Blade Runner, Monopoly, Legend of Kyrandia 1-3, Dragonstrike, and probably a few others that I've forgotten too.

Let's see, nostalgia trip...

My crumbly 486/50Mhz... Playing heretic (the first 1st-person shooter i saw). I dusted it down one day to play, and MY GOD! The 'crappy' little FM Synth is better than my modern MIDI mega-hellness. Whenever I thnk of Heretic, it's always with some piss-poor analog-guitar noise in the background... :)

Rockman (megaman)1-4 .especially rockman 2`s music.I feel nostalgic every time i heard it.All the music of rockman2 rocks.and Doom Episode 1 of course.

Jedi Knight, the whole imperal tower assult, right from when you first saw it (and you over hear the to storm troopers chatting about drillss) to the escape on the roof top. Brillance.

1. Playing Wolfenstein 3d E1M1 with PC speaker

2. Playing Doom E1M1 with PC Speaker (When I first played Doom, it was on a computer with a PC speaker)

Games I have fond memories of:

Quake
Alley Cat
Need For Speed
Commander Keen
Rockford(Boulder Dash)
Scorched Earth
Wing Commander
Strike Commander
Space Quest
Police Quest
Tower Assault (Alien Breed II)
Warcraft
BattleZone
Mario 3
Duck Hunt
Balloon Fight
Wolf3D
Xwing
Freespace
[Edit] Lemmings! I can't beleive I forgot lemmings :| [/edit]

All of those games, I remember playing so long ago, they all had something different that made me play them over and over again. Some of the ones that had the most effect:

Space Quest, because it was so damn funny, the theme song for that series has been one of my favourite game themes ever.
Wing Commander because it was in space....with big explosions, with tigers for enemies :D, Had a great story too.
Strike Commander because it had great characters and I thought the intro was damn cool :D
Alley Cat, diving all over the cheese to catch the mice. Or getting all the way up to the third line and watch in horror as an object flew out of a window and knocked you down, meaning you had to climb all the way back up, then finally getting inside a room and completing a new level!
Rockford, because it was always fun finding ways to drop a rock and dispatch the enemies and finding new ways to get all the coins.
Warcraft, My first game where you were not the hero, instead you controlled Whole armies and had to make sure you could control armies and run a small city type area.
BattleZone, A real time strategy with a difference, you still controlled armies and monitored base areas, except that You where in the thick of the action, like Quake but with tanks and AI helpers. Had a compelling story too!
Wolf3D, I remember when I first saw this. I was at this event with my parents, I was bored out of my mind, and the kid in the house had a computer, I asked if I could play it, he said yeah, and showed me Wolf3D. I was amazed, nice and fast paced and it sounded so real to me. Especially when the guy playing it warped to the first boss level and encouraged me to have a go carefully omitting the fact it was a boss level, walking around the room, then opening the door to this giant blue dude with two chainguns for arms. I lasted probably about three seconds :D.
I remember I wanted that game so bad, parents wouldn't let me have it, well one did, the other wasn't too sure, I never ever got the game. I still don't have it actually, Eventually I forgot about it and played other games. Then I got Quake, and once I played that, I was hooked on first person shooters.

Can you say Quest for Glory? Heh, those games were cool, can't find them anymore. :/

the_Danarchist said:

Dune 2 and Dune 2000 are great. I was a huge fan of the movie, then my dad warezed a copy of Dune 2 from a friend and I was like: O_O

Heh...I remember spending hours playing that game. Now I play Dune 2000 every once in a while. Some thing are better in it some things are worse. Still damn cool.

Yeah, but I've only played the old version Dune. I also have the original movie, new movie, and ALL of the Dune books. Can you say Fanatic? :)

O_o

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I shall turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

DooMBoy said:

Kids, can we say "obsession"?

Doomboy, can we say, "don't give a shit"? :P