Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-x Kabal x-

Help with ZDoom.

Uh, well which folder did you unzip it to? You need to unzip ALL the files except the texts into your Doom directory, which is typically c:/doom2. ZDoom needs to be in the same dir as the doom IWAD.

If you want to run any PWADS, they too must be in the Doom dir. Sorted?

Heh, pritch. Dumbing it down instead of explaining how command-line parameters work, eh? Guess you have to be more than 13 years old to have ever used DOS.

Ultraviolet said:

Heh, pritch. Dumbing it down instead of explaining how command-line parameters work, eh? Guess you have to be more than 13 years old to have ever used DOS.

Nu-uh, I used Dos when I was 4 Silly Pants :P

To simpleize it, Unzip the Zdoom stuff into the place where Doom/Doom2 is :D

-x Kabal x- said:

I DL'ed ZDoom, Unzipped it into my folder, and it keeps talking about not finding an IWAD or something? I wanna get ZDoom going!

Lemme break it down for ya:
1. Unzip the ZDoom zip using Winzip or powerarchiver.com]Power Archiver or something similar to those unzipping programs.
2. Be sure to tell it where to unzip where your Doom or Doom2 dir is. Example:
My Doom dir is located in c:\games. That's where I would unzip ZDoom.

pritch said:

your Doom directory, which is typically c:/doom2.

Really? I thought it was typically c:\doom2.

Ahh, I have such a big hard disk (heh) that zdoom has its own private folder c:\games\zdoom and I have a copy of each IWAD in there too, doom, doom2, heretic, hexen, plutonia, tnt. :)

Biffy said:

Ahh, I have such a big hard disk (heh) that zdoom has its own private folder c:\games\zdoom and I have a copy of each IWAD in there too, doom, doom2, heretic, hexen, plutonia, tnt. :)

heh... same with me... I have a copy of each Iwad in all my source port dirs... :P

Biffy said:

hahahahhaha.... oh wait, you were serious? let me laugh harder AAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAA..... sorry i've been watching too much Futurama...

my fave ports are ZDoom, Legacy and PrBoom... i have 4 dir 1 for each Doom (Final) with a Legacy 1.40 and PrBoom in each.. comes to about 14 extra MB of space but no TNT saves get saved over my Doom saves.. and you can drag and drop a pwad to PR or ZDoom or just a shortcut of them!! but it dosnt work if you have a pram line like -iwad doom.wad then it wont load the Pwad or deh file but with ZDoom you just say what Iwad you want when it asks

plus 6 saves for ONE game isnt enuff let alone 6 for 4 games and megawads and all... my Zdooms are in other folders.. 1 for 1.22 and 1 for 1.23 and the new 2.0s cos ZDooms so great with the saves

just make your Zdoom.ini look like this and just copy a Iwad in Edge or something when you need it

[IWADSearch.Directories]
Path=.
Path=$DOOMWADDIR
Path=$HOME
Path=$PROGDIR
Path=/Doom_ID\doom1
Path=/Doom_ID\doom2
Path=/Doom_ID\Final-Doom_TNT
Path=/Doom_ID\Final-Doom_Plutonia
Path=/Doom_ID\Heretic
Path=/Doom_ID\Hexen

[FileSearch.Directories]
Path=$PROGDIR

Sweet Prince

If you want to place zdoom in a separate folder than the IWADs (doom1.wad, plutonia.wad, etc.) you can use a separate zdoom folder (possibly under your doom folder whatever it's called.) Then go to your zdoom folder and make a shortcut to zdoom.exe right there. You can the right click it with your mouse, choose properties, and edit the target or command line entry. Normally it would read:

C:\doom\zdoom\zdoom.exe

Just add the -iwad parameter to choose the IWAD, like this

C:\doom\zdoom\zdoom.exe -iwad ..\doom1.wad

You can also add custom maps this way:

C:\doom\zdoom\zdoom.exe -iwad ..\doom2.wad -file ..\maps\darken.wad

Note that .. means going to the previous directory, since we are supposing the zdoom folder is in the doom folder. If it's somewhere else just place the whole address (c:\doom\darken.wad, for example.) It's even easier if you have everything in the same directory, of course, but not usually very neat in the end.

The newer versions of zdoom allow you to choose the IWAD at startup, and there's more commands you may add to the commad line (to choose the level, the skill, etc., even one or two to make a separate file for additional commads, allowing you to fit in more parameters and making it easier to edit them than through the shortcut), just read zdoom.txt for more info.

myk said:

If you want to place zdoom in a separate folder than the IWADs (doom1.wad, plutonia.wad, etc.) you can use a separate zdoom folder (possibly under your doom folder whatever it's called.) Then go to your zdoom folder and make a shortcut to zdoom.exe right there. You can the right click it with your mouse, choose properties, and edit the target or command line entry

did you read my post at all? lol

i started with shortcuts too, but i found out that i can add Pwads and deh files to ZDoom and PrBoom (not with Legacy :(...) by just dragging and dropping them on to a ZDoom shortcut like you would move them from one folder to another

then when it asks what iwad i want i just pick it and it loads whatever Doom with the Pwads BUT there cant be ANY pram lines like -iwad doom.wad or it will only load Doom and non of the pwads.. also i don't think there can be any spaces in the folder or file names.. could be wrong but that's how it had to be for the ZDoom launcher before it broke and i found the easy drag and drop way

my folders look like this

C:\Doom_ID\
C:\Doom_ID\!Doom_Win_Ports\Zdoom1.23_beta33
C:\Doom_ID\_pwads\_Doom1Pwads\Doom1_MegaWads\Licence_to_Spell_DooM
C:\Doom_ID\Doom1
C:\Doom_ID\Doom2

with a PrBoom and Legacy 1.40 in each Doom folder (cos they broke the trick for putting it in another folder but both PR and Leg only have 6 saves and with 4 games and megawads i need all 6 for each iwad and 4 PRs and 4 Legs are only 12MB or less)

and in my ZDoom.INI i just tell it to look for iwads in new folders.. works in the new 2.0 betas too.. load up ZDoom's INI and make it look like this (for wherever your iwads are... duh)

[IWADSearch.Directories]
Path=.
Path=$DOOMWADDIR
Path=$HOME
Path=$PROGDIR
Path=/Doom_ID\doom1
Path=/Doom_ID\doom2
Path=/Doom_ID\Final-Doom_TNT
Path=/Doom_ID\Final-Doom_Plutonia
Path=/Doom_ID\Heretic
Path=/Doom_ID\Hexen

[FileSearch.Directories]

or you can say Path=C:\Doom_ID\Doom2

now whenever i want to play a pwad i open the shortcut on my desktop to my "_Pwads" folder and click "_Doom1Pwads" then "Doom1_MegaWads" then the folder of the wad i want "Licence_to_Spell_DooM" and then drag the wad file to my ZDoom shortcut (with NO pram lines) and then Zdoom asks what iwad i want, in this case i'd tell it Doom1 and hit ok and BOOM im playing the pwad

i hope this helps ppl, even the old vets who know everything about Doom ;)

Sweet Prince, sure I read it, but keep in mind the versions of zdoom that do that are betas. If you go to the zdoom page and "download zdoom" you get a version that does not do that. Anyway, I never use drag and drop myself, since it's much easier to configure all the necessary parameters through a well made response file. Plus, if I were to place all my PWADs in the engine folder or in any single folder, it'd be one ugly mess. Each PWAD is in its own folder in the \pwad subfolder.

That drag and drop might be useful for some, but not for others. Nor is it a conventional method for running PWADs (since it doesn't work for most engines.)

that's true, they are betas, but it works with PrBoom also... not Legacy and i don't dare try it with Jdoom.. but anyway i have my com lines and extra shortcuts here and there... and i never said i put all my pwads in a single folder

i have C:\Doom_id
with a !Doom_Win_Ports folder with a folder for each port.. and ZDoom thankfully the one i use most lets me fix the paths in the ini

also in Doom_id i have a folder for each Doom1, Doom2, Final-Doom_Plutonia and Final-Doom_TNT with a PrBoom and Legacy in each, cos TNT saves don't save over Doom1 saves and no -iwad doom.wad is needed

then a folder called _pwads with 2 folders called _Doom1Pwads and _Doom2Pwads and in say, my Doom2Pwads folder i have Doom2_Maps and Doom2_MegaWads... single levels wads are just thrown in the maps folder but MegaWads go in a folder called whatever the MegaWad is called, like Alien_Vendetta, Memento_Mori_I, Memento_Mori_II and with no spaces just underlines cos i don't think ZDoom likes spaces

this way com and pram lines are still easy to do when i need too or want to