Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

Vigor | Now on Idgames

1 hour ago, Ezper said:

I can't help but wonder, what's the whole process of making and releasing a megawad like this?

We sort of all met each other over the course of like a month or two (except ZeMystic for me and Egg Boy) on several different servers, mostly Joy of Mapping. As with any project, it’s all about getting a bunch of like minded and competent designers who are comfortable with their roles. @Egg Boy is a great project lead and did 99% of the resource allocation plus all of the management and compiling (Ze dedicated a bit to the resource WAD if I remember), You should ask him about all that stuff honestly ;).

49 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Played the first four maps, they were superb. Did you decide to make this after playing Doom 2 In Spain Only? The texturing and midis appear very familiar ;)

We decided to do a megawad while I was playing through GOTTA GO FAST by @E.M. in the Joy of Mapping VC. Egg Boy or I (can’t remember now) said “I wouldn’t mind getting a knock-off scythe megawad every year”, and from there we eventually jumped on to the Squonker Squad ship. The influences are wide and diverse, with Scythe, Spain, and AV being the biggest notes across the whole wad. 

Edited by Bobby "J

15 minutes ago, Bobby "J said:

We sort of all met each other over the course of like a month or two (except ZeMystic for me and Egg Boy) on several different servers, mostly Joy of Mapping. As with any project, it’s all about getting a bunch of like minded and competent designers who are comfortable with their roles. @Egg Boy is a great project lead and did 99% of the resource allocation plus all of the management and compiling (Ze dedicated a bit to the resource WAD if I remember), You should ask him about all that stuff honestly ;).

We decided to do a megawad while I was playing through GOTTA GO FAST by @E.M. in the Joy of Mapping VC, Egg Boy said “I would mind getting a knock-off scythe megawad every year”, and from there we eventually jumped on to the Squonker Squad ship. The influences are wide and diverse, with Scythe, Spain, and AV being the biggest notes across the whole wad. 

Damn, if only my friends are Doom fans. And even if I did have Doom mapper friends, I wouldn't be able to have enough free time to commit to the team, and we'd be dead long before our megawad will be finished

Edited by Ezper

15 minutes ago, Ezper said:

Damn, if only my friends are Doom fans. And even if I did have Doom mapper friends, I wouldn't be able to have enough free time to commit to the team, and we'd be dead long before our megawad will be finished

All it takes is a little bit of initiative, and a decent sense of organization. Treat a doom project like an afterthought and it’ll never come out. Even a little bit of free time dedicated a day, or even a week, to just keeping the resource wad maintained and satiated or QA on some levels will have a significant impact on the quality of your wad. (And will increase the likelihood of the project coming out!)

8 minutes ago, Bobby "J said:

All it takes is a little bit of initiative, and a decent sense of organization. Treat a doom project like an afterthought and it’ll never come out. Even a little bit of free time dedicated a day, or even a week, to just keeping the resource wad maintained and satiated or QA on some levels will have a significant impact on the quality of your wad.

Another thing, I don't like making new friends since I wouldn't be able to give them equal time and attention as my 2 other friends, and we eventually won't know each other anymore (speaking from experience)

6 minutes ago, Ezper said:

Another thing, I don't like making new friends since I wouldn't be able to give them equal time and attention as my 2 other friends, and we eventually won't know each other anymore (speaking from experience)

People make Doom Project with people they don’t know all the time, hell, I can imagine there’s quite a few projects where several members hated each other! Anyway, you should try to meet a lot of people. The few people that you meet that make an impact on you in the community are going to be some of the best friends you could ever have, I’d know.

Don’t worry about not having a balance in your attention to friends. Having a healthy relationship means having the trust in others to be there when you come back. 

Edited by Bobby "J

23 minutes ago, Bobby "J said:

People make Doom Project with people they don’t know all the time, hell, I can imagine there’s quite a few projects where several members hated each other! Anyway, you should try to meet a lot of people. The few people that you meet that make an impact on you in the community are going to be some of the best friends you could ever have, I’d know.

Don’t worry about not having a balance in your attention to friends. Having a healthy relationship means having the trust in others to be there when you come back. 

Sorry to break the mood, I just had to let it out. So anyways, how you guys met, in a Discord server about mapping? If so, can you drop me a link?

2 minutes ago, Ezper said:

Sorry to break the mood, I just had to let it out. So anyways, how you guys met, in a Discord server about mapping? If so, can you drop me a link?

Just DM’ed. 

3 hours ago, Firedust said:

Played the first four maps, they were superb. Did you decide to make this after playing Doom 2 In Spain Only? The texturing and midis appear very familiar ;)

Definitely a big inspiration.

5 hours ago, Vile said:

Great mapset, played through the whole thing tonight!  I love Scythe-esque levels and I'm sure Erik would enjoy this as well.  There are some issue notes in the spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

MAP05 - The imps in sector 124 didn't teleport in, even though the linedef trigger was crossed.
MAP06 - The map layout is doubled for some reason, with the copy being unreachable.
MAP08 - The secret teleport doesn't go anywhere, presumably it was meant for the soulsphere
MAP12 - One of the secrets had nothing in it, aside from acting as a shortcut to the start but I didn't know if that was intentional.  Looking at the editor, there is a deathmatch start and a multiplayer only BFG.
MAP16 - The blue door doesn't seem to work.
MAP19 - The monster closets in the north didn't work.  They look tied to the switch that lowers the yellow key but they never came out.

I’m glad you had fun!

Spoiler

The duplicate of Map 06 is a deathmatch variant since it was realized that the original layout could work for deathmatch with some adjustments.

Map 12’s secret was the path back to the beginning. It just so happened to be a good BFG spot for multiplayer.

Played through the first five maps on HNTR. Quite fun megawad, tough for me (I'm a noob, admittedly), though the BFG encounter near the end of map 5 was hard as hell to put it lightly. I might just suck at properly using the BFG though.

16 hours ago, Vile said:

Great mapset, played through the whole thing tonight!  I love Scythe-esque levels and I'm sure Erik would enjoy this as well.  There are some issue notes in the spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

MAP05 - The imps in sector 124 didn't teleport in, even though the linedef trigger was crossed.
MAP06 - The map layout is doubled for some reason, with the copy being unreachable.
MAP08 - The secret teleport doesn't go anywhere, presumably it was meant for the soulsphere
MAP12 - One of the secrets had nothing in it, aside from acting as a shortcut to the start but I didn't know if that was intentional.  Looking at the editor, there is a deathmatch start and a multiplayer only BFG.
MAP16 - The blue door doesn't seem to work.
MAP19 - The monster closets in the north didn't work.  They look tied to the switch that lowers the yellow key but they never came out.

Updated to RC2, all of these issues have been fixed.

@beast I'm not sure how to fix this particular issue you are having, really odd it does not happen in chocolate.

16 hours ago, beast said:

Congrats on the release! I tip my hat to the entire team who created Vigor. The maps look divine!

Just a note that playing this with a dehacked DOOM2.EXE v1.9 in DOSBox, the game crashes when entering MAP02. Interestingly this does not happen in Chocolate Doom.

Z_CheckHeap: block size does not touch the next block

You need to hit the exit switch in MAP01. Using the -warp parameter actually gives the more obscure error "Z_CT at w_wad.c:510".

The MAP02 MIDI had copyright text, something that almost always corrupts a MIDI in vanilla DOOM.  Sometimes the MIDI will just sound wrong with random notes, but in more severe cases like this one, the game explodes :D.  The worst one I've encountered caused the venetian blinds crash on my DOS PC :O.

This has been fixed now :D

Played the first 5 maps so far, great stuff. I love this kind of tidy vanilla detailing. It’s neither too busy or barren, it’s just right to be aesthetically satisfying.

Edited by EANB

really really great stuff. fast, slick, great variety. juza's maps are by far the most brutal and have an intense personality about them, but that is by no means a bad thing. will and egg have incredibly economic monster use, not a single one goes to waste.

1 hour ago, msx2plus said:

really really great stuff. fast, slick, great variety. juza's maps are by far the most brutal and have an intense personality about them, but that is by no means a bad thing. will and egg have incredibly economic monster use, not a single one goes to waste.

Thanks for playing it live on stream! It was fun watching your mischievous plays.

This might be semi-off topic but I just learned something by accident just from reading your op.

I've not played Vigor yet but definitely will check it out. However, for the past 2 years & a half, I couldn't figure out why Chocolate Doom does not recognize the custom level names on the automap for me. Every time I would run my megawad, the custom names wouldn't work at all in chocolate doom exclusively. It would work on anything else, including doom2.exe. Well, that was bugging me so much till now that I read your op & learned how to run deh files inside wad using a simple command "-dehlump".

And for this I will say thank you.

Holy cow, I'm so happy.

Great mapset, feels like there's never enough Scythe-inspired wads. I played about half of the maps for now so here's a small report:

MAP07
    - missing coop starts
MAP08
    - an imp will get stuck if it enters the teleporter (line 809) to the secret
MAP16
    - missing coop starts
    - sector 243 blocks progress in multiplayer if player(s) die before crossing line 55
MAP17
    - bars (sector 65) block progress in multiplayer if player(s) die before shooting line 751

I download this wad and enjoy it. It was awsome. Especially, a picture of main menu is cool. It's look like a Impressionism art.

Edited by michealrockshim

Maps 1-4 were short and sweet with a big punch so I thought I had time for 5 but it was longer than the first 4 combined haha. I didn't have time so felt rushed but got through it. The design on map 5 is very impressive actually really tested my bad memory. You guys don't pull any punches in these maps eh 

I'll try to tackle more 

WOW! Gorgeous mapset with a addictive gameplay!

MAP18: My feets are on fire after running like crazy searching for a safe spot to breath! I love it!

Some little issues, but only in COOP:

Spoiler

MAP07: Crossing line 1847 closes yellow door and players in previous area can't progress.

MAP09: Crossing lines 512/536 closes doors in main area and players can't progress to red door area.

MAP13: Crossing lines 2561/2562/2563 closes yellow doors and players in previous area can't progress.

Small presentation of this wad which looks very nice.

Finished this wad yesterday, nice not to big maps with low enemy count. Few maps in some parts was maybe to dark for me.

Didn't like to much few last slaughterish maps. But in total good, fun and not too long megawad.

Ps. Played Vigor with Project Brutality.

I enjoyed maps 1-5 so much I was legit excited to play more today. I had a great time you guys. Juza once again your map was longer than the first 4 in the video haha, which seems like a counter to the quick paced vibe of the rest but I really enjoy the design of your maps - you somehow manage to find the perfect balance to make me struggle with ammo but never run out. And the layouts are genius!

Over all great times.

But if I can be honest I did not like the ending here. You guys have proven time and time that you can work with the existing roster, the one we've known forever but still place familiar monsters in amazing, creative and entertaining settings, crafting some really cool fights. I have fun trying to come up with a strategy and overcome these fights. But why am I suddenly greeted by coked up hyper-speed and overpowered plasma toting marines at the end ?? This is so out of left field from maps that were keeping things traditional for half the set. These enemies were annoying as hell and sucked the fun right out of it for me. I worry the rest of the set is now open to be filled with more unexpected and seemingly unfair, frustrating custom monsters - which is not a particular kind of challenge I enjoy - unlike the entire rest of this set.

Other than that, again I seriously thoroughly enjoyed all of this.

I got a visplane overflow in the room with a computer and a window at the beginning.

I really enjoy this wad. There's something stylish about the map designs. I'm a fan of Chocolate Doom compatible stuff overall.

1 hour ago, game said:

I got a visplane overflow in the room with a computer and a window at the beginning.

I really enjoy this wad. There's something stylish about the map designs. I'm a fan of Chocolate Doom compatible stuff overall.

Can you give me a screenshot of this spot, by chance?

2 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

Can you give me a screenshot of this spot, by chance?

Q7AIbQN.png

It's irrelevant because I see it seems unlikely to happen again. Sorry for muddling.

Map09's secret completely evades me, even after several minutes of searching. I'm really bad at secrets in general though so I don't consider it a knock against the map.