Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
YeOldeFellerNoob

Which WADS would you think would be in a Walmart Bargain Bin?

I can see something like Hell Revealed or Perdition's Gate in of those, something that's found years later and covered as a hidden gem online.

My first wad was a symmetrical room with 3(?) pits of blood and a couple barons blocking the exit. Maybe not high enough quality for a Walmart bargain bin (which is quite the insult) but maybe something you'd find on a 1000-Wads-in-1 disk, or maybe a knockoff licensed holiday game for the PS2.

58 minutes ago, Spineapple tea said:

My first wad was a symmetrical room with 3(?) pits of blood and a couple barons blocking the exit. Maybe not high enough quality for a Walmart bargain bin (which is quite the insult) but maybe something you'd find on a 1000-Wads-in-1 disk, or maybe a knockoff licensed holiday game for the PS2.

Phoenix Games, anyone?

image.png.7084d7b5dce95a45c877d031e4d9c5af.png

Well, they're free, so I'd say all of 'em. That way more people play'em, community gets bigger, so more wads, snowball get bigger...

2 minutes ago, BigBoy91 said:

I need an official CD-ROM of Bob Reganess maps.

Never heard of him. Are they that bad?

On 2/6/2022 at 8:43 PM, BaileyTW said:

This actually goes behind the counter in the locked case you have to ask specifically to get.

Really? I found my copy in the bathroom at McDonalds.

Whispers of Satan.

As the author I've completely forgotten about it.

2 hours ago, 666shooter said:

Really? I found my copy in the bathroom at McDonalds.

I guess one can often find gold in the mcdonalds bathroom, or something colored like gold at least.

Hell Revealed II - The WAD equivalent of a direct-to-video movie by a different director than its predecessor that has nothing to do with the first film.

Also @pcorf Whispers of Satan is amazing, and certain maps in the middle have an incredibly dark atmosphere that is more genuine than most horror-themed stuff. 

Doom 1 and Doom 2, and probably even Final Doom belong in a bargain bin. They go for about $5 each, right? That's enough to go into a bargain bin.

lol imagining coming to doomworld and searching for the name of the level set you contributed to in 1996 and finding this thread

stop being awful little fiends

Everything that wins a Cacoward isn't because its so great, its just because people love mediocre wads /s

59 minutes ago, yakfak said:

lol imagining coming to doomworld and searching for the name of the level set you contributed to in 1996 and finding this thread

stop being awful little fiends

Even the worst have to be the best at something. But yah, strange question makes a strange thread.

12 hours ago, Sr_Ludicolo said:

Why? It's all in good fun. Every map has a reason to exist and is cherished as so. Even things like wow.wad serve as a pseudo-cultural milestone and as a relic of days gone.

But is this really a good application of fun??? ;)

For every wow.wad, there are 9999 clones that aren't wow. They are just illusiopits, destined to invisibility, waiting for one guy to fall to his Doom.

On 2/6/2022 at 6:25 PM, thiccyosh said:

Master levels if that kinda counts.

Hey, at least some of them are good! I don't think Master Levels is an example of shovelware. I think Master Levels beats crap like D!Zone 100-0 in quality.

On 2/6/2022 at 8:28 PM, Mr. LBN said:

Fava Beans

It's one of my favorites. And it's one of best wads of 1995. Doesn't such shovelware CDs contain usually people apparently quickly made wads, that are terrible to play?

1 hour ago, DoomBoomer said:

It's one of my favorites. And it's one of best wads of 1995. Doesn't such shovelware CDs contain usually people apparently quickly made wads, that are terrible to play?

Well I was thinking something along the lines of some kinda bootleg CD with some interesting custom mapset(s) on it, not the actual quality of shoverlware CD's (since I have no idea about the DOOM content on those CD's).

Maybe I misunderstood the OP, but FAVA BEANS is a very good E1 replacement for its time, and it would've been cool to see it in some bargain bin or some bootleg bin for DOOM.

D!Zone was probably actually there. Maximum Doom belongs right next to it.

Master Levels isn't anywhere near as low quality, but it still leaves quite a lot to be desired. If these authors got together and published these levels as an independent collection, they'd be well suited for the bargain bin, right next to The Lost Episodes Of Doom, and Perdition's Gate + Hell 2 Pay, these are all sets which aren't rotten, but they have a lot rough edges. Authors such as 'Cranium' go on to make much better stuff later.

Eternal Doom I honestly think is a little too nice for the bargain bins. It's not perfect, but the parts which are good I think are REALLY good. Similar to TNT Evilution, which is imperfect also, but has a better ratio of good (and it's joined at the hip with fabled Plutonia, so it could be trash and still get a free ride).

Fava Beans isn't necessarily awe inspiring, but for its time it's quite competent. I bet it was put on some shovelware collections back then though.

I could actually imagine someone back then making some half-shady CD where he stuffs some better community level sets from the period (Fava Beans, Memento Mori, Obituary, Osiris TC, etc), then, not trying to publish it through chain stores, but he maybe sells the disc for $15 on the down low at the independent computer store/repair shop he works at. Complete in a generic storebought jewel case with a printed out cover he cut and pasted together, and then shrink wrapped.

On 2/8/2022 at 5:56 AM, pcorf said:

As the author I've completely forgotten about it.

To paraphrase what an anonymous stranger from iDgames once said: "Satan whispers to me that these levels are pretty good."

Edited by ChopBlock223

On 2/7/2022 at 7:39 PM, Spineapple tea said:

Don't have my first WAD, but I do have the beginning of the second map.

ffac88644f.png

I was very proud of that cross.

On 2/7/2022 at 9:46 PM, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Never heard of him. Are they that bad?

Nah. They're actually quite good and have a unique charm to them. I just thought it'd be cool to see hard copies of his WADs. I'd be interested to see what kind of artwork they'd use.

36 minutes ago, I Drink Lava said:

did anyone in this thread say laura beyer's doom, yet

I went through a fair effort to find that, and oh my god it's awful. Probably among the worst I've played..

5 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I went through a fair effort to find that, and oh my god it's awful. Probably among the worst I've played..

I've heard this TC permanently modifies your IWAD file. As if it couldn't get any worse!