Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phearamax

Unable To See Maps In My WAD

Question

Hi! I'm very new to the Doom 2 WAD scene, and I'm doing my first real (small) one for a college project on game design. Unfortunately, I've run into an odd bug where when I try to open up the maps in the WAD I'm working on, they don't show up. The attached image might help, so I included it just to be safe. I'm not sure what could have gone wrong, my only suspicion so far is that it might have had something to do with my leaving the editor open for an extended period of time last night. It was open for around two hours with music playing in the background. I'm worried I may have somehow corrupted my WAD, but I'm hoping that's not the case- has anyone had something like this happen to them before? Is there a fix? Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Screenshot 2022-02-06 210606.png

8 answers to this question

Check the folder where you have the wad you were working on: if you're lucky there might be a backup there.

You could also try opening the wad in Slade, at least to see if it can be opened. If so, try and re-save with Slade and see if that fixes it.

Check the various game configurations (top dropdown). You might have made it in BOOM or some other one. It won't show up unless the configuration matches.

I'm sure I used Doom 2 as the config, as I had a similar scare before that got resolved that way. I was planning to use Slade anyway to change the music that played with the levels, so I'll try using that and see if it works. Thanks for your help!

Ok, I opened it in Slade and saw that there were 3 backups- I saved the one marked BACKUP3 and the original in Slade but I still couldn't get any maps to show up in Doom Builder- is it possible I just hit a button and messed up my settings somehow?

The only thing I can think of is that you upload it somewhere so someone can take a look.

Can you post a screenshot of what contents Slade shows you when you open it?

Here's what comes up when I open the WAD in Slade- I'm not sure what it should look like or how to select a specific map, but this is what I see when I first open it up.

image.png.8c533244c261d504d9df45bf049c3b25.png

That's definitely a corrupted (or otherwise empty) file. I'd search for doombuilder backups and try and load them. What's the size of the wad file?

Oddly enough the original file now shows up as 1 KB, while the backup I saved is 89 KB (which is what I believe the original file size was)