Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unerxai

What does skill 6 do in Russian Heretic?

Russian Heretic has a 6th skill level, called "quicketh art...". I'm not sure what the difference is with skill 5 (black plage) and I can't find any information online.

On 2/8/2022 at 1:21 AM, Julia Nechaevskaya said:

3. Port's name. *snip*

Name doesn't bother me. If you ask me, a port's a port, regardless of name!

...But I suppose a name change couldn't hurt.

On 2/9/2022 at 5:44 PM, HavoX said:

Name doesn't bother me. If you ask me, a port's a port, regardless of name!

...But I suppose a name change couldn't hurt.

Personally, I dont see any political and other similar problems in current port's name. The only low priority problem I see is that we already have another port called Russian Strife https://github.com/K0stov/russian-strife (port is a copy of Chocolate Strife with Russian translation and voiceover, but without any new features), so if Russian Doom will start support Strife, then we will have two similar names (Russian Strife in Russian Doom and standalone Russian Strife) for different ports.

For now, Russian Doom doesn't support Strife because lack of interest from developers, that's why another port (Russian Strife) was created

On 2/8/2022 at 2:21 AM, Julia Nechaevskaya said:

Well... I'll try to explain correctly and take some will to say that every member in Doom community is smart enough to don't mix games from 1993-1994 with such thing like politics, but despite of I'm myself avoiding any kind of politics like a Black Plaque, sometimes seeing what is happening in my motherland making me - let's just say - sad. And I only can imagine how Russia is looking sometimes in other people eyes. Thus, this name can have a potential "negative", even for myself despite I have no any problems living in Russia, neither social, nor any kind of another. Plus, as stated above, nowadays port is not about Russian language.

If it makes you feel better, Russian Overkill is one of the more beloved mods around.

Albeit possibly slightly less funny to actual Russians. I don't know. Depends on one's sense of humor and ability to laugh at oneself, maybe?

If it makes you feel better, Russian Overkill is one of the more beloved mods around.

Oh my, it's all cliches again. :) I'm not very familiar with existing mods, but this one look quite hilarious. My favorite ones are probably Lilith.pk3 - have both Idea and Soul, and Doomkid's Rowdy Rudy - have it's own damn good charm and because Adam knows how to make badass things in vanilla aspects, like flame breathing Cacodemon.

Depends on one's sense of humor and ability to laugh at oneself, maybe?

Absolutely true, but the whole situation in country is not about humor or even black humor. It's about disaster in some points...

But anyways, thanks for opinions, comrades! I'll left port's name as is, this must be the only reasonable choice. I'm trying to make a nice ports for games I've grown at, that's all about.

Some good news: I have all three ports in release-ready conditions. In short words, situation is:

• Doom gets small technical updates in menu features. But there a lots of various nice ports, so I will not be able to bring up something extra ordinary.
  • Heretic gets bigger updates and stability improvements in menu features.
  • Hexen, however, is special. Civvie 11's video gave me a lot of inspiration (or, frankly speaking, a reasonable kick to make things right and spend far more time on this game). And it's now far better than was ever released before: a lots of new features (both menu and gameplay), rendering optimizations and Masterpiece widescreen assets by Nash Muhandes. Ah yes, Reiver now have a brightmap (screenshot), as well few other map objects.

And this is where most unexciting and painful part comes in: writing a Changelog. I literally need to scroll back Hexen's commit history for about half of year and carefully verify what was done. Not every single change must be documented of course, but still, some notable highlights must be written down, it's a question of the ethics. After that, I think I will be finally able to post a port's own topic here, at DoomWorld.

BTW, we have an autobuild system with latest bleeding-edge dev. builds which is available on GitHub (just lick on latest workflow and scroll down to Artifacts section, download links will be there), but apparently, user must be signed to GitHub's account, otherwise DL link wont work at all.

7 hours ago, Julia Nechaevskaya said:

And this is where most unexciting and painful part comes in: writing a Changelog.

I feel you, because trying to come up what to write/type, if not in paragraphs, is hard.

This is especially true when writing a document; you have to commit to it.

On 2/15/2022 at 4:14 AM, Julia Nechaevskaya said:

BTW, we have an autobuild system with latest bleeding-edge dev. builds which is available on GitHub (just lick on latest workflow and scroll down to Artifacts section, download links will be there), but apparently, user must be signed to GitHub's account, otherwise DL link wont work at all.

Hmm.. I'm logged in to Github, but I can't get this to work or see anything like what you mention. I just updated my copy of Russian Heretic and found out the music is not working on v5.0 on Windows. I saw Dasperal marked it as fixed already, so I wanted to download an updated build. Oh well, time to compile it is then lol.

On 2/17/2022 at 4:29 AM, hfc2x said:

Hmm.. I'm logged in to Github, but I can't get this to work or see anything like what you mention. I just updated my copy of Russian Heretic and found out the music is not working on v5.0 on Windows. I saw Dasperal marked it as fixed already, so I wanted to download an updated build. Oh well, time to compile it is then lol.

Please try these steps:

1) login to github

2) go to https://github.com/JNechaevsky/russian-doom/actions/workflows/continuous-integration.yml?query=branch%3Amaster

3) click on last commit link ( "Hexen: rename "Клерик" to "Клирик"" for now)

direct link: https://github.com/JNechaevsky/russian-doom/actions/runs/1837433885

4) scroll down to Artifacts section

5) try x64

russian-doom-e07aec3-windows-x64

43.8 MB

https://github.com/JNechaevsky/russian-doom/suites/5288241724/artifacts/163832546

or x32

russian-doom-e07aec3-windows-x86

43.5 MB

https://github.com/JNechaevsky/russian-doom/suites/5288241724/artifacts/163832547

Is it works for you?

On 2/7/2022 at 6:16 PM, unerxai said:

a 6th skill level, called "quicketh art..."

@Julia Nechaevskaya:

In its current form this makes sense in neither modern English nor the English of the King James Bible. You can skip the rest of this post if it was never meant to. ;)

"thou art" (or, inverted for emphasis, "art thou") is the archaic form of "you are", with "thou" being the familiar form, the equivalent of the Russian "ты" rather than "вы". This is the same distinction as in "tu" vs. "vous" and "usted" in French and Spanish respectively.

'quicketh" would  be the 3rd person singular present of the verb "quick", except that to the best of my knowledge "quick" has never been used as a verb. Presumably, the verb meant is "quicken", in its archaic meaning of "kindle". If so, it seems that the new skill level was intended to mean something like "on fire you are". Then the proper wording would be "quickened art thou" (the subject of the sentence not being optional in this case).

If the intended meaning was something else, could you post it in Russian, please?

BTW, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for your console-on-Windows code for Choco.

@Never_Again

In its current form this makes sense in neither modern English nor the English of the King James Bible. You can skip the rest of this post if it was never meant to. ;)

I'm really not familiar with such English, so I've asked @Jon to help to make this string few years ago. And once he did it, my questions were: "Wha-? What does it mean? How it translates?". Also, @chungy provided me an article with real old English examples, which AFAIR, was something like a ... mix of German and English. Very hard to read for first time, especially for non-native English speaker, but still possible.

It was Jon’s initial idea, and translation comes second. However, after some attempts to make it sounds good in old Russian, I given up and wrote it with different meaning, a play on “Nightmare” word, so translation from RUS to ENG is something like: “With Nightmare filled I am”.

If it is possible to make ENG string better or more correct, I'm all for it, but really can't suggest anything from my side.

The difference between "ты" and "вы" is extremely important in both language and port itself. A "вы" form is more respectful when you appeal to someone, and AFAIK none of serious existing software is using "ты" when speaking with user, only "вы", and port does same thing. Another thing is "вы" is absolutely sex/gender neutral, which I believe, is also important. An exception is made only for Korax speech, which is all about taunts and "respectful" form will rather funny than correct.

BTW, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for your console-on-Windows code for Choco.

My pleasure! :) Looks likes we haven't finished it in Choco because of confusing - ideally, no extra console window should be created if port is started from console window itself and outputs must be printed there by default, but no implementation has been done. In my port I've left console only for "-devparm" command line parameter and have to say it's extremely helpful with debug or testing prints, especially when GDB is not really needed.

The rest of Heretic's skill levels aren't exactly proper English either, so I think the current name is in line with those.

Yes, looks like Raven had a bit of fun with those skill names. #3 "Bringest Them Oneth" looks particularly ludicrous.

Still, the "Qucketh art thee" part makes no sense whatsoever, while its Russian counterpart, "кошмаром исполнен я", is nice wordplay that is hard to translate. I propose "Nightmare be thy name", in the sense that nightmares don't frighten you since you yourself are a nightmare to your enemies.

11 hours ago, Shepardus said:

The rest of Heretic's skill levels aren't exactly proper English either, so I think the current name is in line with those.

Yeah, I'd not worry about the bad faux English when even the original devs didn't care to make them correct.

Still, if Julia wants to be exact about it, the answer is there. :P