Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

My dream port / editor(s) for said port and programs with said port

* Burning barrels hurt: I think there was some ZDoom bit that could set things to be like... spikes... or something.

Really? Heh. :)

If you think you're up to making BBG's dream port in a completely bugless form, please contact the pig flying past your window right now. Thanks :)

If the flying pig isn't available, please talk to your favorite imaginary friend about it. Maybe he code it for you. :)

Ultraviolet said:

BBG:
A lot of this is already available in ZDoom.

Where do you think I got the ideas for some of that stuff? :-P

Hiya.

My dream port is really quite simple... ;)

• Doomsday Engine Looks/movement
  • ZDOOM ACS Scripting
  • "Static" Models (.md2; basically being able to create a 3d polygonal model, texture it, and bring it into the port for use as you would place a 'scenery' sprite; like a table, chair, pile of wood, etc.)
  • Ability to use DOOM, DOOM2, Hexen and Heretic *everything*; sprites, special's, etc. If I wanted a Cyberdemon guarding a Tomb of Power and a Porkalator, I could.
  • Texture-enabled sounds. Walking on water sounds like it, walking on wood sounds like it, walking on grass sounds like it.
  • Particle effects akin to that found in Dungeon Siege
  • Enhanced Monster AI; at "Unreal" or better. Monster co-oporation; ex; a pain elemental comes around the couner, spits out a skull or to, then retreats...when the player folows, he rounds another corner to find a group of Hell Knights...meahwhile, the Mancubs has taken a secret passage to get behind the player.
  • Wandering Monsters. Set path points, like bot way points, and flag a monster(s) as "wandering".
  • Static Lighting. Colored, static lights that can be "scripted" to turn on/off, flicker, strobe, change colors, etc.
That's it. As I said "simple". ;)

I'd like to see a Doom port with a built-in engine behavioral editor. Like, for example, lets call my imaginary port sDoom. You want to create a new way to play the game? Open sDoomEditor.exe and off you go. Save a simple file (that'll save all the info), like Kill.sdm, and by loading that, you could instantly change Doom. You could also easily import graphics, sound, music, scripts (ACS, FS, or DoomScript, which the user can select from), make new sprites and animations, objects, and modify the level progression. The editor, if you're adding stuff like the sprites and the other stuff, would automatically generate either a WAD file or the next generation of them (WD2?), as well as the sdm file.

I guess my idea is kind of like combining DEH/BEX/DDF/DED/WinTex all into one, and incorperating it into the editor. And making it simple enough to use that a chimpanzee could make an entire TC. Add all the features found in ports like jDoom, DoomLegacy, and ZDoom, and I think it'd be pretty cool...

I'd do this...but I can't program worth crap. And I can't figure out how to port Doom to VisualBasic 6 (which would run like crap anyway).

EDIT: I forgot to add that I'd like to see the ability to render video, such as MPEG1 or AVI (DivX MPEG4), onto any surface, or as a full-screen cinimatic (kind of like in AvP). Of course these would all be importable by the built-in editor. Or, the ability to do full-screen cinimatics with the exsisting sprites and textures in a way similar to Shockwave. Hell, or even use the standard Doom cinimatics, like jDoom does with the InFine script.

And, I guess you could use a progression tree type thingie, similar to Explorer, for where to put levels (when going linearly) and videos.

DooMBoy said:

If the flying pig isn't available, please talk to your favorite imaginary friend about it. Maybe he code it for you. :)

6 words:
Magic Server Self-Healing Pixie Dust. :)