Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dyshoria

any scrapped wads yall have?

Everyone has had a map that was scrapped and never saw the light of day. What types of wads did y'all have that were scrapped and what were they about?

Ehh, I scrapped about 10 wads so far. Most of them are either too bad to ever publish or unfinished. They're all about, you know, doom.

Oh boy, don't get me started. Touched Doom Builder the first time in 2009, I left so much stuff behind - also lost a handful of others in a partition failure :( at a time I was too anxious and stupid to do anything about it.

Had all sorts of different experiments. Full megaWAD with cc4-tex usage, wanting to have all sorts of different map styles - even had an abandoned map for cc4 back in the day. Many of us suffered from Magnum Opus Syndrome at the time.

Also had this attempt with a full megaWAD for vanilla style maps only - that sort of finished but 15 maps instead of 32 and many maps suffered in quality.

Also tried vanilla Doom 1 style maps, some of those were finished but didn't like the outcome.

At one point I exported textures from Deus Ex and wanted to make a city map with that, and some other resources. I keep that because some of those textures look actually pretty decent even on Doom palette.

Had a progression-based 1024-style megaWAD attempt with the same cc4-tex resource pack; that actually got 10 maps in the end but I populated only the first three with monsters. I'm considering finishing up that one in the near future; in hindsight, even I'm amazed by my own ideas.

For one of the christmas seasons I wanted to make a WAD where the Commander Keen is replaced by a bell and with that you activate stuff. Doomer Boards Projects did that much MUCH better than I ever could have.

That's it for the tip of the iceberg. Experimenting is important for me.

11 hours ago, Dyshoria software said:

Everyone has had a map that was scrapped and never saw the light of day. What types of wads did y'all have that were scrapped and what were they about?

Usually the too-ambitious, sprawling stuff that was meant to be the new Mucus Flow and failed miserably. I realize halfway it's way over my head and return to smaller, more focused and rewarding endeavours. 

I scrap 3 maps for every one I release. Sometimes I get back to them and cannibalize them for setpieces or parts.

Weirdly enough I never scraped a map. If I know that I won't be productive or creative enough I just don't start a new map and I wait until I feel like it.

Way too many. I hate leaving things unfinished when lots of work has been put into them, though, so who knows what might make a surprise comeback someday.

There is exactly one project I keep in my Doom folder. I'm still clinging onto it because of one map. It's not scrapped nor do I feel working on it, it is just sitting there. Waiting.

Usually scrap wads I grow out of. Like when I improve as a mapper, and I look back at something I was working on, I just don't continue working on it lol.

I started modding for Doom way back when DEU was the editor of choice. I've been coming back to it ever since, but apart from a couple of old WADs on idgames pretty much everything I've worked on has been scrapped for one reason or another. Usually because I set myself something way too ambitious and ran out of steam before finishing it.

There are two recent WADs in particular that spring to mind, both of which are fully functional levels, but neither of which I was happy enough with to release. I might blow the dust off them and release them for the sake of it anyway at some point.

For every TMoD I've released there's 1 TMoD I've scrapped.

TMoD EP 3 - The Shards of Power

The original idea was to have 2 different stories featuring the Blue bolter crew (Dynamite, Peter and Sapphire) an the Red Rocket crew (TNT & Crysalla) going out to seek the shards of power and free their stolen friends.

Turns out trying to make 5 different stories is incredibly difficult and tedious. :l

TMoD - Codename: Gamma Beta Alpha

This isn't so much that I gave up from lack of ideas but more of the fact that modding TMoD into the PRBooM+ GBA version of DooM calls for WAAAAY too many hiccups. I haven't completely given up on trying to do this but it's more or less on the back-burner for a long while.

TMoD - Colourful Worlds of Joy (Sort-of)

I actually have 2 versions of this project that failed. The first one was going to be big maps you can explore with the sole idea of being colourful. Funnily enough the TMoD I'm making now is following this rule but with a more focused mind on a THEME per map, something I lacked in the beta build.

As for the 2nd idea... I think I tried to make some colourful 3D map with models? I legit forgot what it was I was going to do. :P

TMoD - Worlds of Joy

Not to be confused with the previous one, this was going to be my Hexen TMoD. Turns out Hexen lacks a .DEH editor that's modern and the engine is really fuggy wuggy to work with. :l

TMoD Ep 0 - TNT Strikes [HD]

I'm not a huge fan of TMoD ep 0 and I was going to remake it by cleaning up many of the maps and enemies. I think at most I edited like 10 textures before giving up...

TMoT 7 - Desartlo Dash

Yeah that's right! The TMoD pics I showed in January? Gave up on that idea! Not completely though as I AM working on TMoT and I DO want to release it hopefully late this year or early next year.

I scrapped a ton of wads, but I keep them anyways in case if I work on them again or if I want to use a piece from them.

Admittedly, I just started mapping recently but found a funny quirk. Before I start mapping, I need to get a feel for a room. And make that room as close to the ideal as possible, screenshot quality stuff. Details, lighting and everything. And that works as an anchor for the rest of the map. Whenever I get stuck, I look back at that one room, and I'm like "oh yeah, I know what I want this to be."

So I only scrap a map before I get the feel for it. Or when it just doesn't vibe with me. So the scraps are all just one room, often with GRAY1 and FLAT1 (my defaults). Because once I get beyond that point, I have enough determination to finish it. Twist it and mould it, until it's releasable. Also, my maps are usually pocket-sized, so I don't burn out. That is yet to come.

Btw, GRAY1 is underappreciated. It's divided in 4 squares of 64 units, which is immensely useful for gauging size of something.

I worked on a 7 map wad that I had planned to make into a 32 map megawad for GzDoom, for over 2 years. I was in over my head when I started out on this, obviously. Gameplay was vanilla, and only reason why it was in GzDoom was for some dynamic lighting, sparse usage of 3d floors, and because it was the first sourceport I used to play and map for doom. The first 6 levels suffered from keying in on sense of place and realism too much, following the layouts of what actual techbases would be like (maze-like, thin hallways, etc.) which lent itself to poor doom gameplay. Although the maps did get better as I gained experience mapping. I also went through many iterations of the wad, giving it custom enemies, new texture resources, DEOCRATE, and even a crap tone of brightmaps for sprites and OTEX textures, over time. The latter brightmaps for OTEX and the sprites I may release in the Creative Works forum eventually, since I have no use for them anymore, but they were tedious to create and took a while and someone else may find them useful.

Anyways, once I got to Map07, and started making that map, I realized I just wanted to make the style of gameplay found in hard boom wads, and GzDoom doesn't easily lend itself to that kind of stuff. Map07's ideas, and actually maybe the whole layout of the secret map in the wad, will likely see the light of day eventually, but after constructing half of Map07 I just abandoned the wad and started making boom maps, and I have also abandoned GzDoom altogether at this point. You can find screenshots of my old gzdoom maps in my older posts of doom screenshots.

I don't remember how many, but I remember one project that I unfortunately scrapped/deleted, it contained 4 maps, custom monsters, used Community Chest 4's texture pack, and was Boom-compatible. It had 2 hard maps focusing on mid-tier monsters and Chaingunners, then 2 slightly hard but tricky maps focusing on hitscanners and Imps. There wasn't a lot of detailing in the last 2 maps but I was satisfied with the result of the first 3 maps, the last map was unfinished.

well... my thinking grounds has quite a bit of scrapped maps. 

hot garbage project is still going strong, but only has half a map, if that

List of scrapped/cancelled/unrelease wads:

- The original Shores of Phil that I started back in 2003 with 2 or 3(?) badly made beginner maps made with DoomCad 6.1 lost in a old hard drive

- A test map for a Jurassic Park TC vanilla Doom mod that sadly never took off 

- Back in 2011 or 2012, I made not one but TWO E4M1 maps that was going to be a possible start of an Episode 4 theme mapset but were lost my old labtops harddrive

- I try making a large Gothic theme map for Slaughterfest 2012 or 2013 and scrapped it because it didn't meet my expectations 

- My first attempted at a Doom 2 megawad was 3 maps which later became DMP2018cl2.wad Map 10 due to lack of interest 

- The original Hell on Phil was going to be a "5 maps per episode" style megawad inspired by Scythe 2 & Eviternity but I didn't like the direction it was going so I pick 9 out of 12 maps and made it into an UDoom episode. The rest except for one were used for other projects except for one map that I still have left & haven't decide what to do with it. I still have the old alpha versions of the original 11 + 1 secret map in my backups which I don't think they are good enough for their own public release. 

- Bijou TNT ALMOST became a thing but lost interest after 9 maps so I use fuse some of them into an experimental map for the 96kb Challenge

- Attempted a prequel of Hell on Phil episode 1 that was originally gonna have only Doom 1 Shareware monsters & weapons + one Dehacked monster but later became just one standalone UDoom map made for Realm's Deep Map Jam. 

- Attempted a Christmas theme Doom 2 mapset back in 2020 but only got barely 2 maps done due to lack of interest but may get back to them in the future.

- Attempted to make a Heretic episode back in 2019 but only got one map made which was released standalone

- Varius attempts on making a Hexen or Strife map but have yet to be satisfied to complete one :(

It basically collapsed under it's own weight, and the negative feedback frustrated me. When a little project called DTWID appeared I jumped on that to flex my old school bona fides, and that became the direct I headed for a long time. I'm back at the ZDoom goodness these days, but I'll never finish that Industrial Zone. Having a second look at it now I'm thinking I should make a tighter level with the same industrial theme, salvaging some creations from this map.

Edited by NaturalTvventy

I've got a ton of unfinished stuff, ranging from single map contributions to some obscure community project to a project idea of mine that didn't go anyways because of my lackluster planning skills.

Woooo boy... Imma make a list.

Guts Against Glory, where only 5 levels were made. Luckily, this idea is still in my mind and I have made a final picture, but I am gonna wait until I have absolutely mastered programming, and a team that can help with the other stuff.

DOOM Lost Soul, which only a Titlepic was made... However, I am actually trying to make it, but from the way it looks, it might take a while. Not promising anything.

DOOM Recalled or DOOM 2 Vanilla, which was a rude, and modern gameplay mod that fucks with the weapons and enemies to make it more... Something?

I have a bad history with promising and not delivering, which is what I am trying to fix.

1 hour ago, NaturalTvventy said:

Wait a minute, that was YOUR map?!

God damnit, I jizzed my pants when I saw it the first time, even if half-finished. It was insanely gorgeous stuff, almost entirely forgot about it until now

18 minutes ago, Geodesic Dome Enthusiast said:

There's a bunch, starting with the first map I made, back in Fall 2018. (yes, it's UDMF. No, it doesn't use any of the fancy features) (I also never finished it)

Reveal hidden contents

1858047512_Screenshot(1520).png.97c722b02fbb511ab9ccc33127714fcb.png1510852366_Screenshot(1521).png.ec224ec35778bee2fb41193d3c232775.png308529967_Screenshot(1523).png.16c34acf77ec4510e8a7a8a794070360.png2086010016_Screenshot(1526).png.7e5a1c2d29b122f602c650dc0e32be77.png134474863_Screenshot(1527).png.e3f94183c94f61b931f06c16ec66921e.png436023847_Screenshot(1528).png.a6d83b3222f02664261316896c24fa60.png363160532_Screenshot(1532).png.1dd70d14465ed10462644118180a016e.png1509110763_Screenshot(1534).png.6b1cdf770de1f8c07a63dbb68a39d5b6.png1621252364_Screenshot(1537).png.6153a90ad5bab02a4a84e688a0ceca6d.png1511840479_Screenshot(1539).png.31c8f6990ae0e3b0902ee87f1ddf63dd.png518813227_Screenshot(1543).png.51e5eccdf169be5ef825d591b85029ef.png1934953994_Screenshot(1544).png.44c5ca2e4918a494a3255816f0c3b505.png633072346_Screenshot(1545).png.886b565f65f20df32b861b5f9d7b9d31.png

And you can't finish it? You should, some pics looks interesting to play.

I got a looot of scrapped maps

Spoiler

This was scrapped because i felt i was ripping off btsx1 too much

d1Beb4q.png

A couple of scrapped maps for a guest map in a set that's yet to be released
V5yXlRo.png

N0lyMeZ.png

f7xMibw.png

iwM0y22.png

A scapped attempt at what became Arceon's map04, a single room made it into the final map tho (specifically the berserk secret lol)

BZmcpa4.png

A scrapped elementalism attempt

7nUZyPw.png

0lrXRjn.png

These ones are from 1k lines 3, last one nearly became a collaboration, but ended up being scrapped

YbguMU8.png

Z7sgOH0.png

Zf7EbSy.png

14 hours ago, FEDEX said:

And you can't finish it? You should, some pics looks interesting to play.

I could. I don't want to, though. I'd rather remake it in Boom. I also used some of the layout as inspiration for another unfinished map from early 2021, which would be the last map in UDMF I would do. For this one, the only UDMF features used are a few polyobject sliding doors and custom props defined through DECORATE.

Spoiler

1915705034_Screenshot(381).png.8dfe3ea3cadd04c63ae7e3c62d944109.png551177440_Screenshot(382).png.3ac991b10b8cb48f897530ad23be7030.png666660468_Screenshot(383).png.0000f1bc6f135bcb0e6bc0d6073489c2.png1775153425_Screenshot(384).png.734a606aa151f09d5044c444145ff146.png819416534_Screenshot(385).png.1ce0216ff181608788a847dc7335e4f8.png1151087855_Screenshot(386).png.5bc6b50143ca74cde776c0b01fc2d7e5.png631481999_Screenshot(346).png.5c7d1c9d48fc428f32d5e70885d5fa0f.png1113715281_Screenshot(341).png.036827527e9cb94b1dfe591ddb5d7675.png1829834792_Screenshot(342).png.26fab9abf644e0c4be1f7df8a623b14c.png1248709107_Screenshot(372).png.d8f664b218256a07f8454b7087aa640f.png181543498_Screenshot(337).png.22cbf4f1ef3d3376ed24dbf8bd1438d2.png1429363933_Screenshot(338).png.0e035303d1d7c51d7cc08833ab0c34b9.png1965117183_Screenshot(340).png.6dd034b8466d4c4b8e7d6f9b35d4f977.png

Yeah, I'll comment because I have about two dozen scapped maps. These are maps that are around the halfway point. With many of these I set out to just place linedefs and sectors and figure out the overall level flow and thematic elements later. I had lost focus or paint myself into a corner and I can't conceptualize a clever way to "tie the map together". Often there is no clear level flow or exit. On the few that do have exits the pacing is awkward or anticlimactic. In retrospect many of them functioned as learning experiences. Now I know what NOT to do. Others were just "meh" and with so much content here on Doomworld it's like why finish a sub-par map?

Another category I have is speed map practice sessions or concept sessions. These aren't truly scapped because I never really planned on finishing them. They are style or theme demos never planned for release. They are just practice or for creating proof-of-concept mapping techniques. I probably have close to a hundred of these.

Overall I wish I was more consistently finishing maps, but I do believe my skill and consistency has grown over the decade I've been a semi-active casual mapper.

I've started maps so that I've given up on. Anything I abandoned was nowhere near complete. Sometimes I'd start something that I lost interest in quickly. But anything I've actually finished has been released

My underground toxicity map set (only three maps).

UGTC (underground Toxicity) was my very first doom wad i made (please don't find it and play it, it's trash) then i remade it (again trash) then i had a great idea to make a three piece map set.

But since i'm been busy with community maps i'm doing (GWAD-THEME #1 map 03 and now map 31 currently in the works and Booked a GZdoom community Map 1) i just scaped them and said "i'll remake the first on as soon i learn UDMF (ultimate doom map format).