Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Question about skies

I haven't been editing too long, and I can't figure out how to get a sky going on, like in the city levels or later/hell levels of Doom 2. I can only get an F_Sky ceiling and some walls, but I can't really get that red skeleton sky or the red hell/with mountains background in. Maybe you guys can tell me how I can do it? Also, I use WadAuthor, if that helps to know.

So if I was doing, say map01 with a certain sky, I couldn't achieve what I wanted with a non F_Sky type of sky? Instead, I'd have to do choose a slot that replaces a map that has one of the skies I mentioned earlier?

If you were using map 1, the sky would be those brown clouds. If you want the hell sky, there's two ways of doing it:

Make a map using map 21 or later.
Take the patch for the hell sky from Doom or Doom 2 and replace RSKY1 with it.

Hm. When I load up map 23, the red hell sky I was talking about is described as F_Sky in Wadauthor.

You can also do a mapinfo:
map 01 "Level Name"
next map02
sky1 SKY1 <---This can be changed to SKY2, SKY3, etc.
sky2 SKY1 <---So can this.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to be in ZDoomHexen mode to do a mapinfo.

DooMBoy said:

You can also do a mapinfo:
map 01 "Level Name"
next map02
sky1 SKY1 <---This can be changed to SKY2, SKY3, etc.
sky2 SKY1 <---So can this.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to be in ZDoomHexen mode to do a mapinfo.

well... but what if it is for doom2.exe?
and if I remember correct, the skies in doom2 are named RSKY* (rsky1, rsky2, rsky3).

Torn said:

well... but what if it is for doom2.exe?
and if I remember correct, the skies in doom2 are named RSKY* (rsky1, rsky2, rsky3).

DOOM2... SOL [or you can patch the exe<g>.] The RSKY names are patch names, not texture names, so DOOMBOY's got the names right for "stock" names.

Funny you should mention that. I use them as patches, yeah. But a lot of people put the RSKY entries in GFX and it works just as well. Hmm...

DooMBoy said:

Certainly true. If you make a mapinfo lump and put it in a separate wadfile, you can use it with a non-ZDoom wad (ie. one that uses vanilla triggers and specials) as long as you use ZDoom to play it. (which is pretty useful for Heretic maps)

deep said:

DOOM2... SOL [or you can patch the exe.] The RSKY names are patch names, not texture names, so DOOMBOY's got the names right for "stock" names.

DooMBoy refers to the textures as opposed to the patches.

netnomad312 said:

Funny you should mention that. I use them as patches, yeah. But a lot of people put the RSKY entries in GFX and it works just as well. Hmm...

And since the patches have corresponding textures (in the textures lists), they can be placed on walls.

Ichor said:

If you were using map 1, the sky would be those brown clouds. If you want the hell sky, there's two ways of doing it:

Make a map using map 21 or later.
Take the patch for the hell sky from Doom or Doom 2 and replace RSKY1 with it.

The third, and probably best, way to do it is to change the texture (sky1) and make it point to the 3rd patch (rsky3) instead of the 1st (rsky1.) This is obviously the best choice if you are making any other texture changes, since texture1 will already be required by the PWAD.

You don't even need to use the texture lumps.

Just copy whatever sky you want to use (256x128) and name it rsky1. That easy.

Hmm, that was explained above, but it's silly to include a graphic that is already in the IWAD... and if you were already using a modified texture1 lump, it would be sheer stupidity. In his 1st post Vulg@r is talking about using other (higher episode) skies found in the IWAD, by the way, not a totally new sky.

Normally you can't have more than 3 skies in DOOM II, but rearrangements without including the graphics again are possible as I explained (without touching the EXE.) But if you really want to use more than 3 skies, or make an unusual sky sequence, you have to use an advanced port.

Some engines allow you to set the sky per map as explained above, and some even allow you to set a different sky per room (I'm pretty sure mbf, prboom and eternity can do this.)

There's some distinction required between graphic lumps vs patch names (in PNAMES) vs Texture names in TEXTURE1. Probably done accidently, but a lot of people read this stuff that have never done it - and some of the statements can be confusing to beginners.

A texture (the kind used on sidedefs) is made up of 1 or more patch names from PNAMES - a special lump. PNAMES is just a collection of all the graphic lump names that can be used to make a texture (why is another story). TEXTURE1 lump is a collection of all the textures available.

If the name is not in TEXTURE1, then it can't be used as a texture name, even if the graphic is in the PWAD. And if the graphic is not in PNAMES, then it aslo can't be used as a patch.

So all patches in PNAMES have to exist as a graphic lump in some PWAD. If one replaces the graphic lump used by a texture (by using the same name), it automatically changes that texture indirectly. This is the easiest method since it requires the least amount of knowledge and steps.

IOW just changing the graphic lump changes the makeup of the texture.

Technical nitpicking next:)

Textures can have more than 1 patch, so it's not true that changing a patch replaces a texture - it just modifies it.

However if a Texture has only 1 patch and the new patch replaces it also (and it the right size, etc), then it does replace a "texture".

Patches don't have textures, textures have patches. It may appear the same to some, but it gets real confusing if the association is not stated in the right order. IOW, you can have a patch (in PNAMES) and not have a texture associated with it in TEXTURE1.

Most ports max sky is 240 tall. Width is 1024. ZDOOM can go larger and you get hi-res skies. TEXTURE1 texture name control has to be modified though to do this. Not hard either, just one more step.

[TEXTURE1 used for clarity, there's also a TEXTURE2 in DOOM.]

Yawn .. the end

Here's some advice UD gave me the first time I replaced a sky. I found it easy to do...
Open the Doom iwad with Wintex.(easy to d/l)
Find the 'sky2' entry (under patches).
Copy to clipboard.
Open your wad.
Paste the sky in.
Go to the 'guru only' menu and rename the entry to 'rsky1'.
Save wad, and you're done.

Guess that was a wasted post:)

SKY1 is not a patch name. It's a Texture name in TEXTURE1.

There are other methods are safer though.