Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fryuko

[RC2]Hypothermia, 5 slaughter maps for boom (cl-9)

Yoooo i'm glad to see this released!! I hope this can get more attention (in part i'm replying to bump it), these maps look really impressive.

I'm honestly not much into playing slaughtermaps, but i'm gonna give this a try (even if i have to lower difficulty to Imperturbable Journey).

Thanks! The genre and its unfinished nature might be responsible for it.

I'd be happy to hear your opinion once you have the chance to try it. Especially about the lower difficulties you mentioned as they were not tested as much.

2 hours ago, i suck at nicknames said:

Has this been completed? Im interested in testing this whole wad out

Unfortunately, this is still a work in progress. So far only two maps are finished from the planned six.

These maps have been amazing and really fun, I can't wait to see the rest of the maps!

Super fun maps! Couple of small nitpicks:

First arena of map 1: maybe add more revs/cacos to make clean up of 4 cybers in the end less grindy, I skipped killing them. Final area was awesome.

Map 2: maybe add a green armor to the fight with revs and a vile on pillars, and pinkies, hks and barons on the floor; I struggled with this much more than with other fights in this map. And killing spiper mancs might be a bit troublesome (I skipped those)

And I've got a random monster out of bounds on map2:

Spoiler

BUleAU4.png

4 hours ago, Blip said:

These maps have been amazing and really fun, I can't wait to see the rest of the maps!

I'm glad you enjoyed what is there

1 hour ago, El Inferno said:

Super fun maps! Couple of small nitpicks:

First arena of map 1: maybe add more revs/cacos to make clean up of 4 cybers in the end less grindy, I skipped killing them. Final area was awesome.

Map 2: maybe add a green armor to the fight with revs and a vile on pillars, and pinkies, hks and barons on the floor; I struggled with this much more than with other fights in this map. And killing spiper mancs might be a bit troublesome (I skipped those)

And I've got a random monster out of bounds on map2:

Reveal hidden contents

BUleAU4.png

Thank you for the feedback, even nitpicks are important!

I agree that the first encounter can be grindy, but simply adding more monsters would make it unnecessarily hard. I'll check how it plays if I replace some of the weaker enemies with something that can soften up the cybies more, and some other alternatives.

I'm not sure how that monster got out of bounds, most likely teleported out there somehow but still seems like a super weird bug. I'll try to find a solution if I can replicate it.

45 minutes ago, Fryuko said:

I'm not sure how that monster got out of bounds, most likely teleported out there somehow but still seems like a super weird bug. I'll try to find a solution if I can replicate it.

I played with cl 21 default complevel if that somehow matters.

Spoiler

Seems like it has something to do with that scroller / crusher set-up.

xvNfDKw.png

-It's been a while, so sorry for bumping. 

Anyway MAP04 is here and ready. (changed up the order a bit since the last version) 

Keep in mind that it might run poorly on older machines. Currently has no lower difficulties. 

-A heavily unfinished MAP02 is also included. Would not want to have two different version, so it's just there. 

Playable to a certain point with cheats, but not really recommended. 

-There are a couple of new menu graphics and a hud. 

-Implemented almost all previous suggestions. 

Hi ! I think the Mega site have some problems loading the requested file

6 hours ago, FEDEX said:

Hi ! I think the Mega site have some problems loading the requested file

Hey! Sorry to hear that, I tried to look into the issue, but it seemed to work for everyone I asked.

Here is a backup doomshack link in case the first one still does not work.

Hypothermia 0.31 Doomshack

Militant flame map with hordes mansters and amazing grafic.                                                                                                                       

Hypothermia4x1502.zip                                                                                                                                                                             

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Red Recluse said:

Militant flame map with hordes mansters and amazing grafic.                                                                                                                       

Hypothermia4x1502.zip                                                                                                                                                                             

Reveal hidden contents

This is fantastic! Thank you for the demo. I wouldn't have guessed something like this was possible.

4 hours ago, Fryuko said:

This is fantastic! Thank you for the demo. I wouldn't have guessed something like this was possible.

I intend to make a TAS demo for each map.

Fantastic product frozen winter.                                                                                                                                                                 

Hypothermia3x1256.zip                                                                                                                                                                              

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Red Recluse said:

Fantastic product frozen winter.                                                                                                                                                                 

Hypothermia3x1256.zip                                                                                                                                                                              

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you for the demo. Fantastic work once again!

May I ask if you left the three remaining monsters alive on purpose or they managed to get stuck somewhere? In case of the latter I'll have to find a way to fix that.

On 11/19/2022 at 6:24 PM, i suck at nicknames said:

yeah this mapset looks pretty nice. commenting to keep myself updated :3 

Thanks for the kind words! I'm closer to completion this time, with map05 already on the way 🙂

Hypothermia1x630.zip                                                                                                                                                                             

Spoiler

I finally got around to playing MAP02. I like it a lot so far, at least what I'm able to play. Great texturing, clever fights, pretty fun. I have two complaints. 

Spoiler

GlH6bMh.png

This fight seems to me like you have to get lucky to beat it. 

Spoiler

w0HkOPw.png

I think the map's broken. Pressing this switch does nothing, I'm just stuck here.

13 hours ago, lunchlunch said:

I finally got around to playing MAP02. I like it a lot so far, at least what I'm able to play. Great texturing, clever fights, pretty fun. I have two complaints. 

Reveal hidden contents

GlH6bMh.png

This fight seems to me like you have to get lucky to beat it. 

Reveal hidden contents

w0HkOPw.png

I think the map's broken. Pressing this switch does nothing, I'm just stuck here.

Thanks for your feedback lunchlunch.

I guess Red viles and hitscanners might add too much unpredictability in that fight, I'll look into it and try to figure out something less luck reliant.

Actually, I'm a bit clueless about the 2nd issue. Which source port did you use? As I tried to replicate it with dsda, prboom and gzdoom and the switch worked in all cases. It's set up like every other one on that map and should open up the whole arena. It might have to do something with linedef skipping in the voodoo doll area but I'm not entirely sure.

edit: Managed to find a reason for a softlock there. During the lucky fight you mentioned, there Is a switch that crushes the arch-viles. If that's skipped this one won't work as they follow each other on the voodoo section. This should be easy to fix.

Edited by Fryuko : Found a solution

Updated the wad. Mostly with fixes for map02 and some smaller graphics and midi changes that would be added along the new map update anyway.

-Fixed the soft lock that Lunchlunch pointed out, and nerfed the pacifist fight on map02. The update is detailed under the changelog section of the post.

Updated the wad once again with map05 and a bunch of smaller tweaks, and new graphics.

This is the last map for Hypothermia, previously I planned two more, but I feel like that this is a good stopping point.

From now on I will focus on fixing issues in case any comes up, and somewhat hope that I have not overlooked anything. So here is the Beta. 

Here is the first release candidate version.

And this is probably the last update if everything goes as planned. In case I still missed something please let me know.

Great looking maps and quite fun!  I encountered a few issues in the first three maps but 04 and 05 went smoothly.

Spoiler

An aside, but I'd recommend having a small progress-stopper map for 06.

MAP01 - a soft-lock is possible after you go outside using one door and then try to go back inside using the opposite door, as the doors will close again and there's no way to open them, as far as I know.  This is possibly avoided in the first outdoor fight since you can trigger the door closing if you move up against it so that it doesn't have a chance to lock again once they open up.

MAP02 - an imp fell below the floor somehow in this area:

doom01.png.1c721e6b49fd7dca2701a43321943112.png

MAP03 - some of the cacos in this fight wake up early and can fly over the bars before the fight starts:

doom02.png.41c20867997913a01f2aba74d7a78c20.png 

On 6/19/2023 at 5:31 AM, Vile said:

Great looking maps and quite fun!  I encountered a few issues in the first three maps but 04 and 05 went smoothly.

Reveal hidden contents

An aside, but I'd recommend having a small progress-stopper map for 06.

MAP01 - a soft-lock is possible after you go outside using one door and then try to go back inside using the opposite door, as the doors will close again and there's no way to open them, as far as I know.  This is possibly avoided in the first outdoor fight since you can trigger the door closing if you move up against it so that it doesn't have a chance to lock again once they open up.

MAP02 - an imp fell below the floor somehow in this area:

doom01.png.1c721e6b49fd7dca2701a43321943112.png

MAP03 - some of the cacos in this fight wake up early and can fly over the bars before the fight starts:

doom02.png.41c20867997913a01f2aba74d7a78c20.png 

Thanks for letting me know! I'll fix those pretty soon.