Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
forgettable pyromaniac

[Community Project] Morior Invictus (It's fucking done, finally.)

Alright, MAP11 is done. Or at least, it's ready to be play-tested and subject to harsh scrutiny. I've posted it here.

Map Name: I was considering to be "Neolithic Isle", to fit with the whole time travel thing.

Music: Is Stewboy's "Neighbouring Tribes". Not very 90s, I suppose, but it more or less captures the mood I was going for. I could be convinced to change it if someone has another suggestion.

Difficulty Settings: Are in.

Co-op and Deathmatch: Are also in. (How many Deathmatch starts should there usually be? I put 6)

Tested With: ChocolateDoom, ChocoRenderLimits, PrBoom+ and GZDoom. Seems to run fine all across the board.

I'd love to hear feedback on this one. The thing I'm usually most concerned about with my maps is the combat design, and that goes double when it's for a specific map slot. Is this too much for a map 11? Is it too little? That last fight does feel a bit gratuitous, and I considered dialing it back some, but I'd like a second opinion before I commit to that. Oh, and of course, if you find any unpegged or misaligned textures (which I'm sure that I missed some) feel free to point and laugh, hurl rotten vegetables, etcetera etcetera. ;)

Some screenshoots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220410_103206.png.9e09fe33a0ef8f2fe5514ca73a8019b5.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220410_103500.png.4bac63d90ce1c0e76ac427860e257bc5.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220410_103629.png.0ff3c29ac61bf778fde448b5f9d31243.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220410_103804.png.eac591f87119dd6adcca788c88d9d4c2.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220410_103657.png.d4e6c612b2c3fabdd24b251c5e0c3f51.png

2 hours ago, Blexor said:

I'd love to hear feedback on this one. The thing I'm usually most concerned about with my maps is the combat design, and that goes double when it's for a specific map slot. Is this too much for a map 11? Is it too little? That last fight does feel a bit gratuitous, and I considered dialing it back some, but I'd like a second opinion before I commit to that. Oh, and of course, if you find any unpegged or misaligned textures (which I'm sure that I missed some) feel free to point and laugh, hurl rotten vegetables, etcetera etcetera. ;)

Aye, what a map! The obvious star here is the environment, the blend of natural environments, realistic-feeling architecture and the color coordination in general is very well done, it genuinely felt like a place I could explore. Honestly, impressive work! That said, I do have a few suggestions which I think are worth implementing.

The combat feels too heavy for a map11, especially for a MM tribute project - this is also a general critism, I think there are too many high-tier monsters proportional to their threat level, leading to a bit more cleanup than I would like. The final fight in particular is entirely circle-strafable, the three Archies didn't exert much of a threat when you have so much cover, running ground and ammo. The Baron fight down in the marble tomb was fun, but also felt too high-tier for a map11, I think. If I can suggest a reworking of those two fights in particular, I'd say place a few more heavy snipers on the pillars & the surrounding rock in the finale and use more Imps & Pinkies on the ground level, maybe spawn the Archies in earlier as well. For the Baron fight, while I like it by itself, perhaps replace the eight Barons with four HKs and reinforce them with Imp teleporters inside their monster closets, I think that's more appropriate for a map this early-game.
Not directly related, but ammo distribution also felt a bit uneven, ammo was really tight in the beginning & middle, but the setpiece encounters give you so much ammuntion that I often had up to 30 rockets left over. I'd say, place some more shell boxes early on and it should be fine.

Aside from that, I liked this map a lot! The incidental combat is decently fun and the occasional traps made the map more engaging, with my favorites being the PE / Caco ambush & the Spectre / Archie surprise right at the end. Again, superb visuals, fitting music, cool theme, fun to explore,
good stuff ^ ^

Here is my entry for map06

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrxdshg2pjb1hcf/MICB.zip?dl=0

Name - Secluded Spring

Music - Beneath the stars by Tristan Clark

Difficulty settings/co-op items/monsters not included at the moment.

Tested in DSDA Doom and Chocolate Doom

This is supposed to be fairly laid back with very few hitscanners. I tried to blend classic wads with more modern elements of encounter design. The SSG will do most of the work here. There are some large areas that move up or down, hopefully I haven't left a way of completely breaking the map. 

Fun fact - I broke Chocolate Doom in a way I was never aware of (A moving floor is only allowed to adjacent to a set number of other sectors), luckily this is easily fixed by breaking the moving sector into multiple parts.

Screenshots

Spoiler

5oTj3FH.png   ft5Hf1I.png

@Yumheart & @Biodegradable: Thank a bunch for the feedback and the play-through! Both of these are super helpful. Yumheart, I consider it high praise that you found the map fun to explore and enjoyed the atmosphere. I was aiming to make this one a little more open-ended, but I apologize, especially to Biodegradable, if it comes off a bit maze-like. I tried to add a number of unique-looking landmarks to aid with navigation, but at the end of the day the map is still pretty darn brown.

I hear you loud and clear on the enemy situation and I honestly don't disagree. Revenants and Hell Knights were kind of my go-tos for this one, since I made an artistic decision early on to not use any of the zombie-type enemies. Basically, I wanted to give off this feeling like the place has long since been abandoned by humans. I convinced myself that a few heavier demons sprinkled here and there wouldn't be so bad (especially on UV), but in hindsight I think you have the right of it. That tomb you mentioned used to only be 4 HKs but I bumped it up to Barons since I thought that might be too easy. I probably should have kept it at 4 Barons, but after I added the secret with the plasma gun, I thought that 4 Barons might again not pose much of a threat. Looking at it once more, it's probably just tedious rather than tough. That idea with the imps does sound interesting, though; I may just give it a shot.

And about the ammo... would you believe me if I told you there used to be even more rockets in the level? I actually cut back on the number of them so it's somewhat surprising and funny to hear you had a noticeable surplus. I guess when it comes to placing ammo, my mindset is that I want to give the player enough to get the job done, but not so much that they're leaving a trail of boxes behind them. I realize that everyone is different, of course. I myself avoid picking up ammo like the plague if it means wasting even a few extra bullets or shells because of how much I'm already carrying. That probably contributes a lot to my thinking of how much ammo is appropriate for a given area (except when it comes to rockets, apparently). I'll definitely be looking to re-balancing the ammo thanks to your comment.

@forgettable pyromaniac Hey friend, how is my MAP27 submission? I'm planning to change the MIDI and rebalance some ammo. However, is there any other things that I need to change?

There are actually two spots that have visplane overflow, one of them is at the staircase area, but the spot is inaccessible (unless players use noclip cheat) and the other one is at the deathmatch area, but it's a tiny spot that I doubt DM players would go. I think they wouldn't be a problem, besides, I don't know which details I need to remove in order to get rid of those spots. However, if you still think it's a huge problem, then I'll try to fix it.

Also, what about the final fight? It's a little bit slaughtery, but it's not too hard and I personally think it's a great surprise fight. However, if you think it's too hard, then I will try to make it easier (but again, I already like the way it is)

12 hours ago, Dubium said:

@forgettable pyromaniac Hey friend, how is my MAP27 submission? I'm planning to change the MIDI and rebalance some ammo. However, is there any other things that I need to change?

shit sorry i've been kind of out of it recently. Currently playing games w/ the boys, I'll look when I can <3

Version 2 for Neolithic Isle is ready to go, now. Hopefully I've ironed out the creases with this one.

Download link here.

-Shotgun ammo is up, rockets are down. Supplies are mostly the same besides that.

-Replaced several of the chunkier enemies with slimmer ones.

-Tomb area now features some imps. The Barons have become Hell Knights again, though there's still 8 of them on Ultra-Violence. I tested it with and without the plasma gun and it seems fine. I welcome any conflicting opinions on this.

-Layout of the Final Area has been edited somewhat, and the distribution of enemies has been heavily changed. Tried to take the advice to heart, here. With any luck, the player will need to actually think instead of just holding down A or D and the fire button. :)

10 minutes ago, epicyolomaster420 said:

Is this project even still open (if I wanted to do a map other than map30)?

I think all of them are taken, except for map30. I want map30 to be a great one so until we get a good idea locked in place, I'm leaving it there.

Based on what I recall from skimming the thread a while back, wasn't the plan for map 30 to have several mappers contribute a section of it, with the last part potentially capping off with an Icon of Sin? I don't recall if there was anything that needed to be sorted besides that, but if you still need mappers for it, I'd be willing to lend a hand now that Map 11 is done.

On 4/16/2022 at 12:20 AM, forgettable pyromaniac said:

@Dubium
Me really likey how it looky

but that seg limit doe (HOOH)

Hmmmm... I never heard of seg limit. Is this some kind of visplane overflow problem? Weird, they didn't show up on UDB. But okay, I'll fix them. Is there any other problems that I should fix? Everything else is fine, righ?

8 hours ago, Dubium said:

Hmmmm... I never heard of seg limit. Is this some kind of visplane overflow problem?

Seg Limit and Visplane Limit are two different things entirely. Seg limit is how many lines are being drawn at once. The easiest way to fix it is to make things less detailed.

Update: I'm done with my Map14 completely, expect for the name...- it's essentially the same thing with some extra ambush stuff on your way to the battery, so there's no need to send another copy since it's essentially the same thing.

alright, like I said - I don't mind people taking their time whatsoever, but I would like to ask as politely as I can: what's y'alls status on the maps? if you haven't even started yet, understandable, but I'd just like to be told what's up/what's happening. Thanks guys :)

4 hours ago, forgettable pyromaniac said:

alright, like I said - I don't mind people taking their time whatsoever, but I would like to ask as politely as I can: what's y'alls status on the maps? if you haven't even started yet, understandable, but I'd just like to be told what's up/what's happening. Thanks guys :)

Real life, basically. I should have a few hours tomorrow for my map.

1 hour ago, Puncher_Sponge said:

maybe a deadline should be set soon...

Yeah, I think people will start working on their maps if there is a deadline

1 hour ago, Puncher_Sponge said:

maybe a deadline should be set soon...

I do agree. I want to wait like... a day or two to see if other people will answer the question, then tag everyone who hasn't said anything yet and try and set a deadline for, at minimum, an update.

On 4/30/2022 at 12:48 AM, Biodegradable said:

@forgettable pyromaniac if you want to see this project completed within this year or early next year and such, implementing a deadline at this point is a good metaphorical kick in the arse some people need.

yea, I know - I just don't wanna be that guy.

I'll send out tags tomorrow to see if I can get something up.

1 hour ago, forgettable pyromaniac said:

I'll send out tags tomorrow to see if I can get something up.

As the project lead, I kind of expect you to be that guy. Just my 2 cents. 

On 4/29/2022 at 9:12 PM, forgettable pyromaniac said:

Been working on-and-off on an update for my submission in response to the feedback I've been given. The most notable changes are as follows:
- The red key arena's railings have been destroyed, and the cacodemons have been moved forwards to make the fight more fun.

- Removed some of the revenants in the pirate ship and blue room traps.

- The red and yellow key arenas have had more space added to them, which should make it a bit easier.

- A bit more cell ammo has been added to the level.

- A separate deathmatch arena based off of the pirate ship area has been added (thanks to @Athel for giving me some feedback on this area)

Here's the new download: invictus_finnks_v2.zip

I'm pretty happy to call this the final version, but if there are any oversights or gameplay changes required then I'll definitely fix them.

7 hours ago, forgettable pyromaniac said:

Unfortunately, being a leader sometimes involves being that guy. I say that from experience, and not just from hosting 3 community projects.

Alright, here's a tag list. I'm tagging everyone who's map is unfinished for updates, so if you already responded, just ignore this. Just making it easier on myself, thanks <3

@King Know-Nothing, @noob_killer012345678, @Dusty_Rhodes, @NeedHealth, @cannonball, @Yumheart, @MtPain27, @roadworx, @Scorpius

What's up guys? How goes? I still don't wanna rush, but I wanna ask for updates on anything going on. Cheers!

20 minutes ago, forgettable pyromaniac said:

Alright, here's a tag list. I'm tagging everyone who's map is unfinished for updates, so if you already responded, just ignore this. Just making it easier on myself, thanks <3

@King Know-Nothing, @noob_killer012345678, @Dusty_Rhodes, @NeedHealth, @cannonball, @Yumheart, @MtPain27, @roadworx, @Scorpius

What's up guys? How goes? I still don't wanna rush, but I wanna ask for updates on anything going on. Cheers!

Hi there, my map is almost done. I just need to fix any issues that might still exist. I am still waiting for feedback on my entry, which was posted close to the top of this page.

On 4/11/2022 at 8:56 PM, cannonball said:

Here is my entry for map06

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrxdshg2pjb1hcf/MICB.zip?dl=0

Name - Secluded Spring

Music - Beneath the stars by Tristan Clark

Tested in DSDA Doom and Chocolate Doom

This is supposed to be fairly laid back with very few hitscanners. I tried to blend classic wads with more modern elements of encounter design. The SSG will do most of the work here. There are some large areas that move up or down, hopefully I haven't left a way of completely breaking the map. 

Fun fact - I broke Chocolate Doom in a way I was never aware of (A moving floor is only allowed to adjacent to a set number of other sectors), luckily this is easily fixed by breaking the moving sector into multiple parts.

Screenshots

Reveal hidden contents

5oTj3FH.png   ft5Hf1I.png

I got you, @cannonball! I think I was simply confused by your initial:

On 4/12/2022 at 5:56 AM, cannonball said:

That bit made me think there wasn't anything to fight in the map yet, so I thought it was best to leave it until you'd added them later. Anyways, here's a playtest for you, man. I enjoyed the challenge from a pistol-start because, despite the unruly odds, you balanced your cruelty out pretty well considering the slim resources. It's very sly, very cheeky, very Cannonball. ;^)

13 hours ago, forgettable pyromaniac said:

Oh god, I completely forgot about this, sorry! I'll get started soon :P

17 hours ago, forgettable pyromaniac said:

My maps are both generally finished, open for feedback / testing and posted. I haven't gotten any suggestions yet, unless I missed something.