Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nefelibeta

[/idgames]A speed slaughtermap project: Capybara

Just realized, is MAP32's name the intended use of the word "refuse"? I had "refuse" in Ax02 to mean "garbage", not "reject", but I suppose Oku's Refuse II: Even Shittier would be a worse name for it.

Edited by Xyzzy01

Capybara19x1202.zip                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Congrats on the release, Nefi! I had no idea literally everyone who wasn't involved with Floatsam or a Ribbiks project was rounded up for this!

Some of my favorite mapping styles here.  Not completely finished with the wad yet but I had trouble running map17 in prboom+.  I was at the exit of map16 and after the end stats screen the game crashed and I got a "ZDoom nodes not supported" type of error. 

I couldn't even start a new game and cycle through the maps using pagedn key, got the same error and crash going from 16 to 17.  

I am able to play them in GZDoom and that's what I'm doing now, I just always try to use prboom first cuz I prefer it. 

Not sure if it was a comp level issue on my part, i'm not sure.  Kinda new to changing comps levels cuz I've never had to do it before.

1 hour ago, Treehouseminis said:

Some of my favorite mapping styles here.  Not completely finished with the wad yet but I had trouble running map17 in prboom+.  I was at the exit of map16 and after the end stats screen the game crashed and I got a "ZDoom nodes not supported" type of error. 

I couldn't even start a new game and cycle through the maps using pagedn key, got the same error and crash going from 16 to 17.  

I am able to play them in GZDoom and that's what I'm doing now, I just always try to use prboom first cuz I prefer it. 

Not sure if it was a comp level issue on my part, i'm not sure.  Kinda new to changing comps levels cuz I've never had to do it before.

It's recommended now to use DSDA-Doom instead of Prboom+ now, since it supports umapinfo (which is used in capybara) and a lot more new features than Prboom+

Map17 will be adjusted in rc2 so it will be runnable in Prboom+, apologize for the inconvenience

34 minutes ago, Nefelibeta said:

It's recommended now to use DSDA-Doom instead of Prboom+ now, since it supports umapinfo (which is used in capybara) and a lot more new features than Prboom+

Map17 will be adjusted in rc2 so it will be runnable in Prboom+, apologize for the inconvenience

No worries, I thought I'd comment on it since I believe the original post said boom compatible which is only slightly true lol.  Still one of my fav releases this year

20 hours ago, Treehouseminis said:

Which version of PRBoom+ are you using? I'm unable to replicate this issue using either PRBoom+ or GLBoom+, everything works fine for me.

On 7/14/2022 at 4:21 AM, whybmonotacrab said:

Which version of PRBoom+ are you using? I'm unable to replicate this issue using either PRBoom+ or GLBoom+, everything works fine for me.

I'm using 2.5.1.5 which after looking it up isnt the latest release anymore. 

15 hours ago, Treehouseminis said:

I'm using 2.5.1.5 which after looking it up isnt the latest release anymore. 

Yeah I'm using 2.6.1 and it works. I'd assume the latest build works too if you're wanting to stick with PRBoom.

In Map 16 at the Invis Fight, you can just grab the invis and not trigger the linedef and then wait for it to wear out (You can do the same thing in the BFG fight, didn't notice I was doing that until I checked the podium where I grabbed it, then the cybers finally got angry). I don't know whether or not that's intentional, which is why I'm mentioning it.

Overall INCREDIBLE wad. Each map has something to take from it, and is fun to play, even if it's really frustrating at times (Map 12's beginning felt REALLY difficult compared to the rest of that map, however, I did accept the terms and conditions, so that's on me). I have 4 maps to finish, 17, 18 (I skipped 17 and 18 because I accidentally pressed my end level key two times and just went "Eh, screw it" and played map 19), map 20, and map 32. Hats off to all the mappers who contributed to this awesome wad! 

5 hours ago, Electro Rage said:

In Map 16 at the Invis Fight, you can just grab the invis and not trigger the linedef and then wait for it to wear out

It's fixed in RC3.

Good luck with Map18, Map20 and Map32, they are the real beast!

Loving this wad. Congrats on the release. 

Just out of interest, could you list hints for the hidden capybaras? Having trouble finding them!

On 9/23/2022 at 1:50 AM, nobleflame said:

Loving this wad. Congrats on the release. 

Just out of interest, could you list hints for the hidden capybaras? Having trouble finding them!

Spoiler

Only listing the capybaras that are pretty obscure.

Map01: One of the cliffs in the outside area.

Map02: The lights in purple key area.

Map04: The secret.

Map05: The secret & For the last tunnel, AVJ into the second gap in the walls on the left, this might not be possible to do on UV.

Map06: Might not be possible to grab the automap, probably...

Map07: The secret.

Map08: The secret.

Map09: The exit room.

Map10: In the third arena(Rockets&Revs) go into the fake walls behind the exit teleporter.

Map11: Hop out of the bounds and they're hiding somewhere.

Map12: There's one sitting in one of the decoration pillars.

Map13: The secret.

Map14: The secret.

Map15: Hop into the darkness where a lamp is.

Map16: The secret.

Map17: In the 4 corners of the box.

Map18: In the exit sequence, instead hop on the ledges of the tower and go from there. (To the right side of the automap)

Map19: It's staring at you in the finale...

Map20: They're with you!

Map31: The darkness behind the first and only secret.

Map32: You will have to search for it yourself... Hint: the last area.

Thanks for playing and hope you have fun!

5 hours ago, Nefelibeta said:

Hide contents

Only listing the capybaras that are pretty obscure.

Map01: One of the cliffs in the outside area.

Map02: The lights in purple key area.

Map04: The secret.

Map05: The secret & For the last tunnel, AVJ into the second gap in the walls on the left, this might not be possible to do on UV.

Map06: Might not be possible to grab the automap, probably...

Map07: The secret.

Map08: The secret.

Map09: The exit room.

Map10: In the third arena(Rockets&Revs) go into the fake walls behind the exit teleporter.

Map11: Hop out of the bounds and they're hiding somewhere.

Map12: There's one sitting in one of the decoration pillars.

Map13: The secret.

Map14: The secret.

Map15: Hop into the darkness where a lamp is.

Map16: The secret.

Map17: In the 4 corners of the box.

Map18: In the exit sequence, instead hop on the ledges of the tower and go from there. (To the right side of the automap)

Map19: It's staring at you in the finale...

Map20: They're with you!

Map31: The darkness behind the first and only secret.

Map32: You will have to search for it yourself... Hint: the last area.

Thanks for playing and hope you have fun!

Mate, you're a star. Thank you :)

Hi, cool mapset. Just a small hiccup from my end: any idea why my dsda doom would display the sky in map13 like this?

ivQsJeR.png

I checked brainfreeze's max and it looked normal, so I assume it is a my end thing. Pinging the author @cannonball to see if he can help :P

I use pretty much the default software settings on dsda, if that helps.

5 hours ago, Catpho said:

Hi, cool mapset. Just a small hiccup from my end: any idea why my dsda doom would display the sky in map13 like this?

ivQsJeR.png

I checked brainfreeze's max and it looked normal, so I assume it is a my end thing. Pinging the author @cannonball to see if he can help :P

I use pretty much the default software settings on dsda, if that helps.

I just had a look, the sky is fine in opengl but it seems to only show half the skybox in software with the ugly cut off as shown in your picture. The cause of this has me a little bit stumped at the moment because if Map13 is broken then you would assume the same issue would be present in Map02, yet it isn't. I'm afraid I might need to defer this to someone with better knowledge of DSDA-doom's inner workings. I can use the sky from map02 okay (Though this does look stretched compared to how it looks in map02), so there is something going on in the background to cause this issue, I just don't know what it is).

Edit - Okay even after removing the sky transfers, removing the mapinfo information for this map and changing the name of the sky to sky 2 and implementing this like as normal, the issue still remains, albeit the issue is only horizontal tiling whilst it works vertically now (In the above it was across both the x and y axis).

Edited by cannonball

1 hour ago, cannonball said:

Edit - Okay even after removing the sky transfers, removing the mapinfo information for this map and changing the name of the sky to sky 2 and implementing this like as normal, the issue still remains, albeit the issue is only horizontal tiling whilst it works vertically now (In the above it was across both the x and y axis).

The texture is 1022 px wide, should be 1024, non-GL ports can't display texture widths that aren't a power of two so it will get cut off to the nearest power of two (512 px). The patch (the actual graphic) is also 1022px wide, but it will still work if you just change the texture and then double-up the patch so it fills the whole 1024 texture, you'll just have a 2px wide area that's repeated and will look a little funny, but probably not too bad. But if you need to make a fix anyhow, might as well just stretch the patch a bit in a graphics program.

Edited by plums

17 minutes ago, plums said:

The texture is 1022 px wide, should be 1024, non-GL ports can't display textures that aren't a power of two so it will get cut off to the nearest power of two (512 px). The patch (the actual graphic) is also 1022px wide for some reason but it will still work if you just change the texture and then double-up the patch so it fills the whole 1024 texture, you'll just have a 2px wide area that's repeated and will look a little funny, but probably not too bad.

Funnily enough one of the first things I did was export the sky as a png as enlarge the width to 1024 and put it back in but the issue persisted, however doing this again and making sure that the height was also okay (in this case 256) then I did get success. I get the feeling that I tried a few too many things separately instead of implementing things on top of each other, which in this case was the right way to go. Not sure of the value in making a permanent fix for this though, especially as the wad is over a year old now.