Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breadbunbun

32 KILOBYTE 16 MAP MEGAWAD

Fun.  Here's FDAs for all maps, downshifted to HMP on a couple maps when I was getting wooped.

noisy_32KBMGWD.zip

edit: i'm watching some of these back, and my damage roll luck is uncanny in some of these.

Edited by NoisyVelvet

thirtwok.7z

Here's my UV demo for this WAD. I died so many times I don't even think it counts as a speedrun anymore.

My video is currently still processing on YouTube, but once it's done, you'll be able to watch this video.

While its cool you were able to make 16 maps into a small 32 kb megawad, gameplay is kinda eh to where I had to lower the difficulty to hmp.

Also That ridicules small Mancubus room in map 7 🤣😂

I'm actually loving the gameplay in this wad! Had to go down to HMP for a few, but I love the idea of just bite-sized little challenges.

the problem with the maps being triangular and so small is that it makes it almost impossible to avoid any attacks because you're constantly backed into a corner or colliding against a wall.

2 minutes ago, Dubbag said:

the problem with the maps being triangular and so small is that it makes it almost impossible to avoid any attacks because you're constantly backed into a corner or colliding against a wall.

3 < 4
4 Take More Space. 

Save Space.

Use 3.

3 minutes ago, Dubbag said:

In this I can agree, since there are maps that feel poorly designed or that are made with a purpose far from just making the player impatient...

6 minutes ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

In this I can agree, since there are maps that feel poorly designed or that are made with a purpose far from just making the player impatient...

considering the file limit is so small I don't think it's a problem of design so much as a naturally inherent issue. I do think that some of the battles can be toned down a bit though.

3 minutes ago, Dubbag said:

since the file limit is so small I don't think it's a problem of design so much as a naturally inherent issue.

You may be right but... but there are places so narrow and small that they feel a bit awkward to play, and not to mention the kind of enemies that are found here... (damn revenants, and Archviles...)

9 hours ago, Breadbunbun said:

3 < 4
4 Take More Space. 

Save Space.

Use 3.

Can't there be more than 1 way to make a map smaller, though?

What nodebuilder are you using?

12 minutes ago, Nikku4211 said:

Can't there be more than 1 way to make a map smaller, though?

What nodebuilder are you using?

I simply used the basic Nodebuilder built into Doom Builder X. And yes. there are other ways i could save space like wad compression or changing the size of rooms. But the simplest way to do it is simply getting rid of linedefs and removing geometry. As I have stated before. This project was not meant to serve as the best form of this project going forward. It was simply meant to server as inspiration for other mappers to go to the extremes of space saving and do far better than i ever could.

2 hours ago, Faustrecht said:

to get a picture of the whole stuff since im not a modder/mapper.
How big is a standard wad for doom2.exe ?

well the Doom 2 IWAD is 13.9 mb

On 2/19/2022 at 3:35 AM, Walter confetti said:

I don't remember how much big is congestion 64 in size but... I think that a 1kb map is sorta doable with a simple triangle / square room, but never tested to see if this is possible...

Just checked, and Congestion 64 is 32 maps in 40KiB. Obviously the levels are pretty simplistic though.

On 2/19/2022 at 3:04 PM, NoisyVelvet said:

Fun.  Here's FDAs for all maps, downshifted to HMP on a couple maps when I was getting wooped.

noisy_32KBMGWD.zip

edit: i'm watching some of these back, and my damage roll luck is uncanny in some of these.

These maps pissed me off way more than I thought they would. Lol!

Some of these maps were downright preposterous LOL

I get you had to work with the limitations but oh my goodness

Not sure if I am allowed to bump this thread but I decided to give this wad a shot after I saw a video about it as I like the idea of restricted mapping. I was originally going to play this in UV but after dying a lot in MAP06, I realized that it was most likely better for me to play this on HMP because I am a big baby. Some levels felt like a huge luck check like MAP14 with the chainsaw. I did enjoy the ride though.

2 hours ago, Shotbun said:

Not sure if I am allowed to bump this thread but I decided to give this wad a shot after I saw a video about it as I like the idea of restricted mapping. I was originally going to play this in UV but after dying a lot in MAP06, I realized that it was most likely better for me to play this on HMP because I am a big baby. Some levels felt like a huge luck check like MAP14 with the chainsaw. I did enjoy the ride though.

Be lucky you didn't even try MAP07 XD. Im glad you had fun with the wad though, the luck of the was actually very much intended as these were kind of intended to be quite the difficult maps to help increase the playtime, since the wad would be even shorter than it is if I didn't make them hard. Im also just kind of a mean mapper.

6 minutes ago, Breadbunbun said:

Be lucky you didn't even try MAP07 XD. Im glad you had fun with the wad though, the luck of the was actually very much intended as these were kind of intended to be quite the difficult maps to help increase the playtime, since the wad would be even shorter than it is if I didn't make them hard. Im also just kind of a mean mapper.

That's fair, just like NES era games. Glad I went for HMP in that case.

2 minutes ago, Shotbun said:

That's fair, just like NES era games. Glad I went for HMP in that case.

Yes, exactly like the era of NES games. Low memory means harder challenge.

I missed this wad when it was originally posted, so I played through it and it was fun. The only maps I gave up on were 9 and 14, but the others were all very doable. Even if you have to restart a couple of times to get good rng, you only lose a couple of seconds so it's no big deal.