Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

Repetitive Trash

2 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

You missed the elevator switch in the tower on MAP01 and also MAP02, MAP03 and MAP04, all unfinished.

sorry i didn't finish it but I was getting really pissed about constantly falling lol

Why not upload when you have good ideas, so you build a consistent repitoire?

5 minutes ago, Sr_Ludicolo said:

Why not upload when you have good ideas, so you build a consistent repitoire?

Because frustration, that's why. I want to publicly announce my frustration.

Just now, AtticTelephone said:

Because frustration, that's why. I want to publicly announce my frustration.

Seems like a waste of your time. Why not vent instead of putting out a map that's complete balls?

1 minute ago, Sr_Ludicolo said:

Seems like a waste of your time. Why not vent instead of putting out a map that's complete balls?

Fun, I guess. I actually have motivation to complete a project now, so I'm working on something to make up for this mistake.

7 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

Fun, I guess. I actually have motivation to complete a project now, so I'm working on something to make up for this mistake.

Don't feel remorse, my friend. Be happy that you found a new creative spark :^)

11 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

please make it have actual gameplay and detail instead of making a single room and throwing it onto doomworld with no screenshots expecting to get brownie points for it

So putting up a deliberately crap map gave you the motivation to produce something not crap?

Whatever works, I guess.

51 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

Well, good luck finding someone to take you seriously after this. I know i'll never download anything from you again.

13 minutes ago, msx2plus said:

mapping can indeed be frustrating, exhausting, mentally taxing. sometimes i just want to make the worst shit on the planet. truth be told, i would be very into a "vent map" thread where people post their frustrated garbage scrapheaps. even if most is trash, i'm sure good would come of it in the long run.

I actually very much second this sentiment. Can seem just like shit posting, but I mean cathartic destructive creation is sometimes a natural part of the artistic process; do it a lot with music and writing when you just need to say 'fuck everything and all the horses it rode in on', and honestly that can be where some very interesting things happen - if not in the map itself, then in the said mapper's mentality.

As far as the map in question. I kind of appreciate its brazen nature, not gonna try and make it something more than it is, but hey, its expressing something. Appreciate the honesty at the very least, not like we were duped and I can definitely understand the frustration. Feel at the very least this was largely harmless. My only disappointment is that it didn't dedicate for all 32 levels, but the idea was at least done enough to be realized haha. Did remind me of an idea I had one time of doing a megawad of repetition where it would be the same map over and over again with gradual changes. Would it have been good or fun? No, but it would have been an experiment haha.

2 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

You missed the elevator switch in the tower on MAP01 and also MAP02, MAP03 and MAP04, all unfinished.

@AtticTelephone If this is your trash I need to know where your dumpster is. This is unironically splendid.

Lmao we should do a terry wad community project with all of these vent maps

Spoiler

for the love of god please don't

2 minutes ago, Sr_Ludicolo said:

Lmao we should do a terry wad community project with all of these vent maps

Reveal hidden contents

for the love of god please don't

Please no do not do that!

1 minute ago, Dubbag said:

Please no do not do that!

Why not? Been a while since I got my grubby paws on a good terry wad tbh, I'm itching. 

1 minute ago, Thelokk said:

tbh, I'm itching. 

ew where?

Somehow I have idea to make a campaign wad where MAP02 and afterwards is same like MAP01 but expanded (like a Blood level add-on where first map is copied from E1M1 then second and afterwards is just E1M1 but expanded).

2 hours ago, Thelokk said:

I'm itching. 

Ahh yes... the itching one gets after...

...but okay, sometimes those WADs can be interesting I guess, in much the same way as lewd WADs can be interesting.

Its like... you can't watch... but you can't NOT watch at the same time :-)

I get that you're trying to vent, but have you considered taking a break from mapping? I took a break around November of last year for about two months and I felt a lot more eager to map, as well as being more productive. Just a suggestion. 

I tested trash2.wad with LZDoom, these maps are unfinished. If you are not sure if people will play your map, you should provide a finished map for people to test, and review. The map does not have to be a high quality map. I recommend a map that includes both original ideas, and basic DOOM map properties. Experiment with ideas, but not to a point the maps become too complicated to build. Add a story line that connects the maps, and then map development will not feel "pointless." I wouldn't call trash2.wad garbage, actually these maps appear better than several DOOM maps that I have tested. Upload a finished DOOM map, and people will review the WAD.

When you have no faith in your mapping skills and thus everything you make looks like trash to you.

I've been through this, and I'm still going through this. It's a tough attitude to escape, especially since the perspectives of players don't always help, sometimes only bringing more stress.

On 2/20/2022 at 5:32 AM, Silent Wolf said:

I get that you're trying to vent, but have you considered taking a break from mapping? I took a break around November of last year for about two months and I felt a lot more eager to map, as well as being more productive. Just a suggestion. 

I took a break from making Doom maps that lasted years and I still don't feel eager to map. I fully support taking breaks, everyone needs a lot of time. Some people just happen to need a very, very long time.

40 minutes ago, FireWarden1000 said:

Upload a finished DOOM map, and people will review the WAD.

I get that it's hard for people to critique something that isn't finished, same way it's hard for people to know how good a meal will be if it's not cooked yet.

However, think of it from the perspective of the mapper.

When making a finished map, it's harder to deal with flaws that are truly fundamental to the map (or fundamental to the very concept) itself, because they can't just be patched with a quick fix, they call for complete changes to everything.

When it comes to less complete maps, you can fix issues that are mostly just noticed by others before they get a chance to grow bigger and bigger until they make the whole map a good bit less fun to play.

Anyways, I think I can see this thread being locked soon, so I have to go.

On 2/20/2022 at 7:51 AM, msx2plus said:

mapping can indeed be frustrating, exhausting, mentally taxing. sometimes i just want to make the worst shit on the planet. truth be told, i would be very into a "vent map" thread where people post their frustrated garbage scrapheaps. even if most is trash, i'm sure good would come of it in the long run.

Actually, I would gladly look through those maps. They can be some good inspiration