Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

I saw an ad for it in a magazine, probably in summer or fall 1993. I had already played Wolfenstein 3D at this point so I was really looking forward to Doom, although I didn't get a copy of the shareware until mid-1994 sometime...

1995: I saw Doom II being played at the CompUSA I was getting a computer from. A few months later I got the shareware version of Doom 1 and played through it. I realized just now I don't have it anymore.

1997: During the holiday season I found a copy of Ultimate Doom and bought it.

2003: I found a jewel-case copy of Doom II at the same CompUSA where I first saw it.

Heh, just the other day I was thinking about playing through Ultimate Doom.

The first time I played Doom was in 1997 or so...it was on our computer and my parents said I could play it, provided they turn off the monsters first. (No, I don't see the point either.) The game still managed to scare me, what with my being an impressionable 6-year-old and all that, and I didn't play it again for a long time.

It was around 2004 that I found a really old CD with Shareware Doom on it. I decided to give it a try, and found that I really liked the game. Not much later, I got the Doom Collector's Edition thing.

I had Doom 2 pirated when I was young, I started playing it in 1998 when I was 6 on ITYTD, the game was brutally hard for me back then, I reached MAP30 and I never knew how to beat it.

I had Heretic & Hexen around the same I time, I loved Heretic more cause it was a lot easier than doom

I didn't play the original Doom until 4 years ago

I used to watch my Dad play Doom and Doom II on the PC when I was about 2 or 3 years old, and he finally let me play it when I was 4. My first game. <3

I remember it looked a lot like Wolfenstein in the screenshots (the status bar), so we got interested in it. Besides, there was a lot of talk about Doom back then so we couldn't really miss it. Too bad I missed Duke (Nukem)...

Doom Shareware, December 10th, 1993. My opinion then is the same as now: awesome game, but do something about that weak-ass chaingun! =P

My dad bought The Ultimate Doom in 1995- I was about 4 years old. I have vivid memories of the cyberdemon (we called him the super-baron), the spiderdemon (he scared me tremendously) and scattered things like the chainsaw on the pedestal in e1m2.

I didn't find out about Doom 2 / Final Doom until about sixth grade. I found out, from a friend, that the Collector's Edition was on sale at Wal-Mart. I played through most of Doom 64 beforehand (cousin found it on eBay- my friend had recently sold his old N64 to me for 15 bucks).

I feel like I read all these posts before in a similar thread.

You've probably read just about anything anyone could post on this site in a similar thread.

My first time playing Doom was back in the mid 90s on SNES. I could not kill the Barons at the end of episode 1 for the longest time.

I'm reminded of this thread - hope this one doesn't suffer the same fate.

First read about Doom in an Amiga magazine back in the mid 90's (before the Internet became the all-pervasive monster it is today) and first played in 1998 as an Amiga source port on hardware that didn't do the game justice. With the CPU spending most of it's time converting graphics from chunky to planar, the only way to get a half-decent framerate was to reduce the size of the play screen. :(

GreyGhost said:

With the CPU spending most of it's time converting graphics from chunky to planar, the only way to get a half-decent framerate was to reduce the size of the play screen. :(

Tru dat :( The very same planar display that had given it an unsurmountable edge vs IBM PCs for 2D games and video all these years (a 486 PC with the best SGVA money could buy was not able to scroll as easily and with the neglibile CPU usage of the Amiga, and let's not even talk about sprites...), was its bane when 3D games became all the hype.

This had already been witnessed in earlier 3D titles where an Amiga 500 that could put any 286/386 to shame when it came to 2D games, was pretty much on the par or even lagged noticeably in comparison, when it came to 3D polygonal titles such as F1 GP. STUN runner, Continuum etc.

I've seen some of the Amiga-exclusive FPS such as Alien Breed 3D, but by PC standards of the mid 90s they were utterly unimpressive: much like a cross between Blake Stone 3D and ROTT, with small screens and 386-like performance even on 68060 and PowerPC machines.

To be honest, I can't remember. Though the earliest I can remember is first seeing some screenshots in a Gamepro magazine, but I can't say for sure.

exp(x) said:

My stepdad had a pirated set of Doom2 floppies. I'm pretty sure they were 1.666 because map02 still had the bars blocking the left shotgun guy in the first room.

This, but replace "stepdad" with "friend from primary school who lived up the road but who I didn't see much any more because we'd gone to different secondary schools"

Having played games from Space Invaders on my TRS-80, to Commander Keen, Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein 3D on my 286, I kept up with shareware magazines and when Doom came out I got a copy quick smart. I borrowed a proper boxed copy of Doom 1 on floppies from a friend at some point (I still remember reading the manual front to back many times over) and I still own my Doom 2 v1.666 CD which I paid something like $40 for at the time.

From the first time I played it, Doom quickly became my favorite game, and has been ever since. I never really became an internet kid until the late late 90s, so I missed the level-editing and newsgroup craze, though it was possible to find unlicensed CDs distributed with lots of really crap WADs, so I played alot of them. I never really got into Heretic and Hexen, though I own a boxed copy of Strife which absolutely blew me away at the time.

After some time playing Half-life, Nethack and lots of NES/SNES ROMs, I rediscovered Doom in the early-mid 2000s, when I found all these source-ports people had been making. Legacy seemed to be the in thing then, and that was my favorite port for a very long time. I was on the Doom Connector community for a small while, and caused some politics drama there, but lame ping times on Australian dialup internet kinda ruined it for me.

I am so completely bored of games and media and news and life in general as we approach 2009, I'm going through all the "classic" PWADs, and have finally decided to start posting here.

I played the shareware Doom sometime in 1994 and I was hooked... probably a year or two after that, I copied the registered version and Doom II from friends and used those.

As an expansion to the previous and related thread:
In 2003, I bought the Doom Collector's Edition; finally had Final Doom and legal versions of Ultimate Doom/Doom II. From that point on, my number of copies increased rather rapidly...
The list of how many and what copies of Doom I own:
Ultimate Doom: Doom Collector's Edition, Steam (id Super Pack), Master Levels for Doom II (probably doesn't entirely count, but the game is encrypted on the disc), Doom 3 Collector's Edition (Xbox), Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil (Xbox), Xbox 360 Live Arcade
Doom II: Doom Collector's Edition, Steam, Master Levels for Doom II (if counted), Doom 3 Collector's Edition (Xbox), Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil (Xbox)
Master Levels for Doom II: previously-mentioned CD-ROM with Maximum Doom, Steam, Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil (Xbox; it behaves like a Doom II IWAD with all the levels replacing the Doom II levels)
Final Doom: Doom Collector's Edition, Steam
Doom 3: Steam, Xbox version
Doom 3 ROE: Steam, Xbox version

That should just about do it ...

My brother bought it when I was pretty little, and I never asked him where he got it, but most likely heard of it from a friend and bought it at Comp USA. I remember watching my brother play the game often, and that is how I got into it. (Also we would play cooperatively sometimes, that was a real blast back then.)

january 1994, i was playing wolf3d and some guys at school were talking about an even more awesome game.

I first played Doom 2 around 1995. Except my version was much more unusual, because:

Maybe somebody knows, was any version of Doom 2 released which contains an option called Net Game? It was located between "Options" and "Load Game". I was really young back then and knew very little on computers.

My dad had somebody set up everything on the PC, so the guy put Doom 2, Lemmings and other games on it. I remember it was an early version of Windows (before 95).

I remember my dad said something like "Try this game. Very good and funny."

Multiplayer was never implemented into the vanilla Doom menu itself, although many source ports add it. Starting and joining multiplayer games had to be accomplished with command line parameters or helper programs (DM.EXE)

I played Doom with my uncle back in '94 when I was 6. Fell in love with the game ever since. My father bought me a copy of Doom II in 1996. I remember when Columbine happened, my mother told me I wasn't allowed to play Doom.

Well, back in 1995/1996, i found it on a CD full of pirated games there, both Doom and Doom 2.

I recall Doom being v 1.1, and Doom 2 being v 1.7 (or either 1.666).

Then i found Doom Collector's Edition around 2002, and also got Final Doom.

I played shareware Doom for the first time at a friends house. After that I got it for myself and played the hell out of it until I found out that my brother had Doom 2.

My dad was given a pirated copy. It didn't last long once he saw the satanic symbols - never mind the fact it was an illegal copy O_o

Actually, I found about doom several times.

The first time I saw someone playing Doom was in 1995 at University. I remember thinking "woa, this is a game that looks cool"
As I am no big gamer at all, I only started playing it in 98 for a while because it was installed at work.

Then I found Doom 2 in a fair and played it around 2000. Loved it, although I hated (and still hate) the machine gun guy.
In the meantime, I bought Tomb raider, Duke Nukem, but did not like them as much as I liked doom.
Then I stopped playing for a while.

Doom 3 came out and I gave it a try. I did not like it too much, it did not feel like Doom.

Recently, I came across the classic demo made in flash and did it just for fun. Damn, I was hooked again. I was amazed to discover that this game is still so widely popular and that there is so much stuff available on the Net. I did not even know about Final Doom! So I am currently doing Evilution in UV and have fun playing it. I gave a try to Plutonia, but I can't beat it without cheating, so I guess I'll have to try it in Hurt me Plenty.

My dad brought me a game collection cd for Win 95 about 15 years ago. It was a huge space station, where you were able to walk around in first person. There was also a game hall, which has many demos of games of that era and one of them was Knee Deep in the Dead. It totally got me hooked. :D

first time i saw doom was in 2003 when i saw small screenshots of the gba version in a magazine. they were so small i recall only being able to make out 'turd-like monsters and a small grey bar at the bottom'.

around mid-2008, i just got my hands on an n64 (i can be a retro-freak sometimes) and my mate recommended doom 64 for it. funnily enough, i found a copy of doom 64 in the bargain bin. picked it up for 99p!

around october, i downloded the shareware version of doom through my own interest to 'see the original' and my girlfriends's reccomendation. i didnt think it was that good then, though i was suprised my copy of windows xp was running it, since it was DOS...

started reading up on doom here. found many mentions of 'zdoom'.
i was interested in zdoom, so i downlaoded it and ran it with the shareware. got hooked.

i then bought doom collector's edition on ebay as soon as i had the money. got skulltag, then ive been playing ever since.

When Doom first came out, I didn't have a computer, other than an old Apple 2E collecting dust in a closet somewhere, so I didn't pay much attention to it and thought it was just another PC game (I was playing NES and SNES at that time). Sometime later (probably 1994), I saw a video game awards show on TV. It was decent enough, but it had the nasty habit of showing three or four contenders, and then always announce the winner of the last one. In other words, they'd show game 1, game 2, and game 3, and it would, without fail, be game 3. About halfway through the show, all of the suspense was totally gone, but I kept watching because I was bored. Anyway, I noticed that Doom one a few awards, so that piqued my interest a bit. However, I still didn't have a computer.

Then I heard it was coming out for the SNES. I rented it (several times in fact) and beat it a couple of times. Prior to that, the only FPS game I played was Faceball 2000, another fun game, and I thought Doom was just a really nice looking version of it with better monsters and music. As my interest moved on to other games, like Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG, I forgot about Doom for a while. Sometime in 1995, I got a computer, and one of the first games I got for it was Doom. Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, and ROTT soon followed.